Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ThirstyBuck posted:

Looking for a recommendation for my father in law. He is currently considering a 2014 Toyota Highlander. I haven’t been looking in this segment so I’d like to hear the hive mind opinion.

New or Used: either, preference for used.

Body Style: enough seating for 6+ people. So something with a comfortable 3rd row. SUV or mini van.

How will you be using the car?: this will be a third vehicle that will be used for going out when our family gets together, longer trips, 4/5/6 people and at least one car seat, will also serve as a cargo vehicle for trips to Home Depot and the dump. Will also tow infrequently a very small boat.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Not sure what his preference would be. It seems like the new safety convenience and tech features would be nice for them to have. No Chryslers or Fiats. Or GM. They don’t really do”luxury” item on principle so I think an MB or BMW would be a hard sell. Also, reliability.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, not terrible mpg, comfort, ability to have everyone in one vehicle, AWD (the other vehicles are fwd).

They had a Honda Odyssey that they gave to my sister in law so I feel like they are looking at suvs.

$$ Somewhere from $15-40k?

Phone posting. I’ll touch this up when I get home later.

I’m in the US.

3rd row on the Highlander's supposed to be a little tight. I'd check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I feel like a rental minivan would be OK to buy

If Home Depot’s truck rental isn’t available, gvwr is just a number.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ThirstyBuck posted:

Okay saw the vehicle in person today. It's a black 2013 Highlander Limited with 40,000 miles; He got it for $21,500. It's super clean, he loves it, and it will be their do everything vehicle.

How’s the third row? Legitimately curious.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Looking for a seven seater and I’d be in a pacifica hybrid (so much delicious cargo room) if I hadn’t had to push one in like 2” of snow up a mild incline or if it could tow anything.

Upcoming Highlander hybrid’s mileage looks fantastic but getting even smaller.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

e; nm

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Mirconium posted:

Ok second question, Mercury Grand Marquis is pretty much 100% equivalent to the Crown Vic, right?

Yes. Stay away from the Lincoln Town Car though, as they liked to bodge complicated and flaky ‘luxury’ technology on top, and that can be annoying to repair.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ThirstyBuck posted:

You jest but wait until I take a pic of the booster seat I have in the basement. It looks like a tiny person fully bolstered Recaro. That particular car seat pictured has the max safety rating for the US, Canada, and Europe. But I would like to )#@$(*@ strangle car seat engineers.

Recaro used to make child car seats but quit because the standards were too strict.

(Not exactly true; also the big child seat mfr bought the car seat line from them after they closed it and are selling them in Europe.)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Except Nissan. They're still bad.

And Mitsubishi.

And Mazda and Subaru are on the bubble.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Coworker wants to ditch their Prius for a Lincoln MKZ or Lexus CT 200 Hybrid. Said they want to drive something that handles better than an Ikea sofa.

They're crazy right?? Are those reliable enough? Seems like the maintenance costs would suuuuck.

The lex is basically a Prius both maintenance and driving experience. Mkz is a nicer fusion?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

All that piss and vinegar for a Fiat 500. If your goal was to diy a transit conversion or other kit and buy a few thousand vape pen batteries and bodge something together? Sure, glfh.

Deciding that the best EV was a kit-level design and integration as implemented on a reviled FCA product is something else.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Seems like a good question for a tesla forum

the poor build quality on the early model 3s vs the extended battery range but you’re looking at 70s gm quality control you’re rolling the dice either way

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

IMHO, a 350z is a more of a grand tourer than a classic roadster and kinda portly, it is not as much fun to throw around into turns but might be better suited long cruises on the highway or country.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

“Drive like your kids live here”

OK- My kids love sick burnouts.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

*taps name tag*

Does this say beer mortal? Hmm? That’s what I thought.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah; you can technically get some brands of well regarded full size forward facing car seats in a prius but actually doing it would probably involve two hours with a shoehorn and endless loving around with the latch system.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

zero. neat cars but it's now a fifteen year old Chrysler product

You know, I thought there would probably a few dozen low mileage garage queens owned by boomers, but assumed they would want classic boomer muscle car prices; but it looks like there was a clean 2005 Magnum RT for ‘only’ $17k on bring a trailer recently. Still a fifteen year old daimler chrysler tho, so lol.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yes, and the last refresh dates to the cerberus chrysler era.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Prius, depending on leg length and car seat? Also rear facing seats can have angle adjusters for more front seat room.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

I wish I understood how stuff like this works. 3% below invoice, before rebates seems like an insane price, but clearly they're making money still?

Holdbacks, dealership volume incentives, etc

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Kilonum posted:

I mean, my sister's mortgage is less than her car payments but that's because she took out a 25 year mortgage in 1995 and just bought a BMW i3 in November.

On topic: test drove a 2006 Prius this morning (1.5k out of my budget :(), I was quite happy with how i fit in it and how comfortable i was,, my only complaint is the location of the speedometer. Gonna see if I can find one within my budget.

For the guy who said 20mi is not far: lol I am in Massachusetts, that was 20mi in a straight line, more like 35 by road, and 45 minutes to an hour drive time.

I sympathize; Mass. is the most fractal place I’ve driven; no matter whether it was 3 miles or 30 miles away you were locked in to a 30-40 min drive.

Anyway, probably still worth investing an hour or two of effort into a 5k purchase. Walking into a cjdr dealership on foot and you will drive out in a 35% APR Dodge Dart.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

hi thread,

so we moved to middle of nowhere michigan about a mile off the nearest paved road, and even when they do plow it may be a day or two. I currently drive a fiesta st which is great for fun, but so far in winter is incredibly impractical. i have been driving my wifes mazda cx-5 which is fine, but i wouldnt mind driving something that has 4wd or awd. my budget is like eh 30-40k but its flexible and i have pretty darn good credit. i (hopefully) am starting a new job soon thats gonna require me to be able to drive to work even when is loving sucks outside, on unpaved unplowed roads in some cases.

looked at wranglers, and the new bronco thingy, are there any good decent ground clearance, pull myself out of a ditch if i have to vehicles that im not looking at?

Basic rear end 4wd F150 with sandbags in the bed over the rear wheels and good tires, and a pair of boots to walk the mile home to get your/your neighbor’s tractor to pull yourself out if you somehow get stuck on your dirt road (don’t be a moron and you won’t.)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I knew someone who two-tracked a sn95 v6 mustang up at MTU in the winter.

Anything is possible if you get good.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

feelix posted:

I asked the thread about car loans earlier, and I'm having trouble getting one at a decent rate. I've never taken a loan for anything and although my credit score is over 800, most of it is from being named on my parents' credit card that I haven't actually used since I was child and the only actual borrowing I've done myself is just one personal CC with a 6k limit that I pay off every month.

My CU turned down my application for insufficient credit history, and a dealer is offering me over 5%

So at this point I'm seeing that it's extra important for me to buy this car on credit so that I'm better set up for loans in the future if needed, but 5% is ridiculous and I'm not doing that.

My plan is to call the CU and try to work with them, see if they would lend for a smaller amount or something. Anything else I should consider?

Find a hungrier CU?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

More proof as to the nature of Penn State that corporations willingly leave money on the table to get PSU grads far away from them.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Ooo, this is good. Now do one for my wife who graduated from Ohio State.

It’s a Big 10 program, so same joke, only emphasize The Ohio State University.

(Also Big 10: revelations about systematic abuse problems.)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Speaking of, anybody heard anything interesting about that zf phev transmission jeep is using?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

There was a really great prius transmission interactive flash animation that did a great job of demonstrating the planetary gear system. I think it was here: http://eahart.com/prius/psd/ but I can’t check, because Flash. It was a good way to see how different it was than cvt’s amalgam of rubber bands and hope.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

MJP posted:

I'm curious - how often, either in terms of years or mileage, do people replace their cars (other than returning one lease for a new lease)? Either out of ongoing repair costs, unreliability, or just "I'd like to get something different"?

The BFC answer is when the wheels fall off.
The AI answer is when you run out of driveway space.

I’m averaging about a decade.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have this long standing suspicion that people in the industry underestimate exactly how lovely the dealership experience is because they never really have to deal with it. You're either on a guaranteed price plan, or you're on a loaner. You order a car or select from inventory, go in and do the very straightforward paperwork, and you're done. The salespeople don't bullshit you, you don't get hosed around by finance. Then these people get confused as to how companies whose entire business model is "I promise you never have to set foot in a dealership" are so successful, because for them, the dealer experience isn't that bad.

I think the other component is when your factory is spooled up to poo poo out five thousand kia fortes a month there’s a preference to carry that inventory on lots of small lots rather than stacked in a rail yard.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

It’s amazing how the aztec almost had it all (if gm hadn’t built it on a minivan platform to save bucks)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

the tingler posted:

Maybe this is a question for a different forum, but is there any significant difference between the Prius and Prius Prime (plugin hybrid) in terms of reliability, cost of ownership?

I think the prime uses li ion so battery refurb is probably more expensive but I don’t know tco.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

ethanol posted:

True it’s the same predicament I’m in, but my job literally involves driving worst condition imaginable through high snow depths so now I want a ludicrously expensive 4x4 pickup (more specifically hopefully talk myself into a used sr5 because paying 35k for a used trd off-road is lol).

But that’s a recent development for me, before I took this job, I still lived in winter climate and went to the mountains and 99.9% of the time snow covered mountain actually boils down to slick but recently plowed road that almost any car on snow tires can handle. Buying lifted vehicles comes with a whole lot of disadvantages for slick highway driving if you ask me and not even considering it in the dry.

Anyways gently caress it let’s all buy Broncos with lockers for 45 k

Let’s buy Bronco sports without lockers for 45k. Ford Edge, but edgier

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Guinness posted:

Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan. They are a subprime lending company that happens to sell cars.

Mitsu is Chrysler Extra in this analogy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the secret bonus on all those old BOF SUVs is dying or being horribly injured when you are in a collision

Carried to Valhalla in 4000 lbs of instantly aerosolized iron oxide.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

With that budget and those preferences just fix the mazda.

Autotrader search for 500 miles from NY for 5K manuals is either mid 00 or 150K econoboxes.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KillHour posted:

There are exactly 5 people who claim they would buy a new manual wagon and have accounts on all the car forums and are loud enough to sound like 50,000 people. When a car manufacturer is dumb enough to listen they say "I meant if it was free and gave you a blowjob while you drive it" and declare they will buy one used in 3 years at half off.

And then still not buy it because of resale value (although I hear the Chevy SS manuals are actually appreciating, lol)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

DildenAnders posted:

gently caress off. I never said I was only looking for a manual, and this is the first place I've asked about getting a car period. Whining about someone's preference doesn't help anyone.

Lighten up, Francis. Not everything is about you, but you did say three pedals was non negotiable.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Used ATS/CTS Vsport or whatever the follow ones were. I think a full V might be at/out of your price range.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ford Maverick is coming out soon if all y'all want to put your money where your mouth is on small trucks.

Also the hyundai santa cruz if you’re feeling like a baja/brat/camino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Kia and Hyundai dealers are generally shadier and pushier than average. Largely from historical lower-cost/lower credit market/buyer positions, despite the product moving upmarket.