Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Girl friend is looking for a car, she is interested in a Wrangler, because "It looks cool and is good in the snow" but I think more car than she needs or can afford. She has only driven a Kia Rio. I am bias, I drive a manual BRZ and I hate SUVs.

Proposed Budget: 10-20k
New or Used: either
Body Style: Car or Small SUV
She will mostly just use it to drive to work and around in the city and suburbs. Ohio gets some lovely weather in the winter so AWD has some advantages. I was kinda thinking maybe trying to find her a low mileage automatic Impreza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Wrangler turned out to be too tall for her, but she liked a FWD Compass. I think it more the up right seating position than anything else. Any test drive suggestions? CrossTrek maybe?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

thechalkoutline posted:

BRZ seems the obvious choice but the body's a bit flashy for me and there are so drat many on the road where I'm at... TT doesn't have a clutch and Miata is a Miata. What else is out there?

The BRZ strikes a great balance between being a tons of fun and a daily driver. The different colors can have a big effect on the flashiness of the car. White does a good job of hiding some lines and making it look more refined.

:homer:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

thechalkoutline posted:

I'm actually leaning heavily towards the BRZ after doing research all day.

What difference are there between the twins? I'm looking at the Premium and it looks like 1) HIDs 2) you're forced to have some sort of lovely nav unit.

It doesn't look like you can get HIDs in the FR-S, but you can have no nav unit plus I hate the spoiler on BRZ and it looks like only FR-S has a no-spoiler poverty spec? Are there any other differences I should be aware of? Trying to pick between the two.

HIDs and pricing were the two reasons I picked up a BRZ instead of a FRS. I was able to get my BRZ premium with fog lights and spoiler cheaper than a base FRS. You should be able to find a BRZ premium without a spoiler it is accessory according to Subaru, it just might be difficult. The advantage of the the FRS is it comes with two years free maintenance. I believe a couple of the special FRS versions have HIDs.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 7, 2014

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Grumpo posted:

So still leaning towards Challenger for the buy, but I have been doing research into other cars and am not so sure. Mustang Gt doesn't really impress me but the Shelby does. Camero has the best performance in class but I dislike the interior and the way it looks. If Hellcats were available I would consider maybe pulling out the extra cash but they aren't. I really like the way that the Challenger looks both inside and out, but I guess I'm getting cold feet. I'm not particularly loyal to any brand. Are there any foreign cars I should look out for? Again my goal for this car is road trips/occasional daily driver and track.

Have any of you guys done aftermarket mods to your cars? How does that affect the resale value/trade in (I'm assuming that modding voids any trade in offer.) I was thinking that maybe I could improve the Challenger incrementally over time and boost it to be more competitive. This is my first time dropping this kind of cash on anything and I don't really want to regret my decision the second I pull off of the lot. I am sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions and if this isn't the intended purpose of the thread.

You have poo poo tons of good foreign options if you are really considering hellcat money(50-60k): M3, M4, Cayman, etc. If you looking at stay in the Mustang GT to Challenger SRT range(30-45k) you might want to consider 235i, 135i, WRX STI, EVO, 370Z, etc. If you want something cheaper than you mod the crap out of consider a BRZ/FRS or a Miata.

Aftermarket mods generally have 0 resale/trade value unless you selling to a gearhead. I would generally recommend keeping all your stock parts, so you can factory reset your car before you sell or trade in.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the best way to get rid of a worthless car? A friend of mine managed to seize the engine on his 2006 Chrysler Sebring, and is asking me for advice on how to sell a dead car. Is the best option really just whichever junkyard will tow it there?

Pretty much a junk yard should offer 200-400 for a car any car with 4 tires and catalytic converter.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

A good set of winter tires and a cheap set of wheels will run you $1000. You could get both you and your wife a set for significantly less than a third car.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Girl Friend found a 2011 Jeep Compass( Base Trim, 2L 4 cylinder, CVT) with 29k miles on it for $13900. It is close to kbb fair purchase price of $14100.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Butt Bidness posted:

Subaru WRX question: is market rate really 25%-50% markup on kelly blue book? I know they're great cars with solid resale, but I just talked with a salesman about a 2009 Impreza WRX sedan with 138k miles, 2 owners, and a minor accident, and they're asking 14000. KBB value is 10,500.

I have financing through a local credit union and am shopping countrywide via ebay motors. I get the gut feeling that the asking price on many of these Subarus is ridiculous.

Most people drive their WRX into the ground or a tree so the used market isn't that big. I was given this line by multiple dealers: "Subaru is basically at capacity when it comes to production, so they are not producing very many new WRX because every new WRX is one less Legacy, Outback or Forester which is much easier to sell.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Furious Lobster posted:

More for the latter, I would prefer to either buy Asian or American since that's what I'm familiar with as well.

Ford confirmed the release the Focus RS in America which should be an amazing car with AWD, and >300hp. You also have the options of WRX, STI, or an EVO in the AWD 4 door sports car market. Then you have options of GTI or Focus ST if you are not interesting in AWD. There are so many good choices in the 30-40k range, go test drive lots of crap weekend and see what you like.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

A new Subaru XV Crosstrek could also work.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

LargeHadron posted:

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? My wife wants some of the fancy stuff like a built-in GPS because she believes a car with these things will depreciate more slowly. Personally I don't really care, but her logic makes sense I guess. Luxury features today might be standard features tomorrow, so future used car buyers will be expecting them. Does that make sense?

Why are the same cars in New York almost $2000 cheaper than here in Mass.? It would be a pain to have to drive 100 miles or more just to buy a cheaper car, but maybe that's what people do?

I would say your wife's general idea is correct but GPS isn't one of those things because most built in GPS today suck compared to $200 Garmin or Google maps. The interfaces are generally pretty bad and updating the maps is an pain in the rear end. Things like leather seats or having a 5 speed instead of 4 speed transmission the other hand most likely will make a car easier to sell but that also means you will pay more for it now.

I don't specifically now the answer to that question but if you buy a car in state X and then register it to state Y, sales tax becomes tricky varies state to state. For example if State X has a 5% sales tax and State Y has a 7% sales tax. You might end up having to pay 5% to state X, then 2% to state Y.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey thread, 'smee again.

I wanted to look at this car over the weekend. How concerned should I be about the custom rims? The dealer is right next door, so I'll get the car inspected there if I like the test drive.

I wouldn't be to worry, the last owner might have used stock rims for winter tires or pot holes might have trashed the stock rims so he bought a matching set of aftermarkets. The guy might even had the rims just sitting in his basement.

Bacon Hat posted:

My friends wont shut up about the Nissan GT-R and they're trying to convince me that I can find a late 00s model for less than 40 grand if I look hard enough. I half believe them.

I'm sold on the AWD sports coupe that I can drive all year in SE-Michigan, but these things are looking pretty hard to come by out here. What else can I look into that has the same features and maybe isn't an entry level supercar that goes for over 100 grand new?

I don't need a lot of trunk room, no kid seats required, needs AWD, 6-speed preferred, coupe preferred, twin-turbo optional. I'm kind of big, but I fit in my Tiburon well enough, Miatas I've played with were a little cramped, the Vipers and 4Cs I worked with at MOPAR were like coffins. Car is for DD, I appreciate the engine life my Tibs, Celica and Century(bulletproof 3800) all had. I'm willing to spend as much as the best deal you've ever seen on a 2009 GT-R that that wasn't in a wreck.

If you want a AWD sports car and don't have to have it right now, the new FOCUS RS looks like it might be the new bad boy on the block for under 40k. 330 hp AWD and weights 3200lbs. It is going to be show the public on February 3rd. Like other said STI and EVO are options but I am not a huge fan of buying a used sports car with a turbo. You have a number of AWD BMW options. I am from NW Ohio and I haven't any problems with my RWD BRZ with snow tires. If you are looking for a fun year round car, I don't think you need to just look at AWD options. If you willing to look at dropping 40k on a GTR why not also look at getting a used Porsche Cayman.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

I've had a look at my budget and updated my answers here. Cheers.
Proposed Budget: £2, 000
New or Used: Doesn't matter, as long as it didn't look beat up and ran properly.
Body Style: 2 door I guess.
How will you be using the car?: Short frequent journies to work (2 miles) to city centre from home (6 miles I guess).
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost (original and ongoing), maintenance, environmental impact (I want my vehicle to be as eco-friendly as possible).

Have you consider a bike or a scooter?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Radio Talmudist posted:

Do you guys have any tips/advice/warnings about financing & car loans?

EDIT: Obviously it varies with the dealer, but is it better typically to finance via a bank or with a dealership?

Really depends, the dealers financing department can offer reduced rates that are sub-sized by the manufacturers but if you are not getting one of those special offers it is varies.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

nwin posted:

So I'm considering the following cars: Mazda3 or MS3, BMW 3 series, Infiniti G series. I want something that's going to be sporty enough to drive, but will perform ok with the snow and myriad of potholes I'm currently experiencing in Boston. I drive an Accord right now and that thing is beyond boring.

16" wheels and snow tires will make just about any modern car able to handle winter just fine. Save an extra $800 for wheels and snow tires you can be happy with any of those choices.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

She likes her Civic Del Sol a lot. It's a small car, it's sporty, and she likes driving stick. She would be willing to try out one of those cars that has fake manual, I think my brother has a Subaru that can switch between automatic and paddle shifters. There doesn't really seem to be anything modern like the Civic Del Sol: A reliable car combined with something really tiny and sporty. This makes me wonder if I should just start dumping cash into fixing it up completely instead of buying a new car. If I look at is as $500 a month for a new car or $500 a month in upgrades and fixes, will the Civic Del Sol end up somewhere after 5 years that I can expect at least another 5 years out of it? I would want 10 years out of a new car.

Right now the Volkswagen GTI seems like a good frontrunner choice. Volkswagens seem to be pretty reliable, which hits my biggest concern, and the GTI is small and sporty, which I think will make her happy.

I'm checking for anything I might have missed here. I haven't done a ton of car shopping. When I bough the Corolla I was single and right out of college so I just wanted a car I could afford that was extremely reliable.

Scion FRS or Subaru BRZ fit the small, sporty and reliable. They have stick and automatic CVT options. Scion TC are a little more practical and bigger. You could also give a Ford Fiesta ST a look.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Most of the FRS/BRZ issues have been address with the 2014 and 2015 models. I think some of the issues get blown out of proportion in my mind when car junkies expect there 25k over hyped rwd sports car to have the same build quality as Porsche. The high pressure fuel pump making crickets with some gasoline is the only big issue that I can still think of. Most of the other issues are just x makes noise or my manual transmission isn't buttery smooth if I don't let the car warm up.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Proposed Budget: <10k
New or Used: USED
Body Style: compact 4/5 door, hatch is a nice bonus
How will you be using the car?: Transportation appliance
What aspects are most important to you? cost of ownership and reliability (needs to last ~5 years and 50k miles), must be automatic or cvt for girlfriend, can't require a plug,
Location: Midwest near a Jeep plant so the area is flooded with Chryslers and Jeeps thanks to employee pricing. Old ladies aggressively drive 300hp Chargers around here.

other:It will mostly be used short trips of city driving so mpg is going to suck not matter what

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

IRQ posted:

Have you considered a Prius? It ticks all your boxes and that city driving will get you the best mpg.

I know that is the go to car around here, I was just hoping for some other suggestions, preferably something american because my area is flooded to Chrsylers, GMs and Fords. Just poking around on the internet gives me 8.5k for a 2008 Prius with 115k miles on it, which is much cheaper than I would have guessed.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Pixelated Dragon posted:

That's not really the immediate issue right now.

My husband uses the Sonic every day to commute to and from work. The '92 Yukon's MPG blows so much that I need another car. If he were to take the Yukon to and from work every day and leave me with the Sonic then the problem would remain.

Honestly, if we get a crossover then I'll probably take the Sonic and let him use the crossover because I like small, maneuverable cars.

You can buy a poo poo ton of gas at $3 a gallon for the price of a car payment. Even at 13 MPG buying another car won't save you money. Save your money drive the Yukon till it dies, or till you have kid.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

This is being said so much that I, a lifelong Californian, have it ingrained in my brain. Maybe it belongs in the op/as a thread title.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a3091/the-myth-of-the-all-powerful-all-wheel-drive-15202862/

quote:

"I'd rather have a Camry on four new snow tires than the best all-wheel-drive vehicle on all-season tires," said one tester who requested anonymity.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

CornHolio posted:

Starts at ten grand more than the Challenger R/T, doesn't look as good, is a GM product and thus will actively try to murder me. :v:

While most hot-hatches are now turbo charged 4 cylinders, you can some respectable HP and Torque while still keeping usability. Challenger RT is about 10LB/HP, a Focus ST is about 13LB/HP , a STI is about 11LB/HP.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Replacing a clutch is a significantly cheaper than buying a new car. Even if she rides the clutch more than she rides you, a clutch replacement will only run you $1000-1300, according to repairpal. Considering your not using a manual to commute into a big city, driving a manual should be a rather pleasant experience even for a beginner.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

TKIY posted:

Did this two years ago but didn't pull the trigger. Back shopping again.

Also note: In Canada

Proposed Budget: $30k - $45k CDN
New or Used: New
Body Style: 5-Door, Sedan, or *maybe* Coupe
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, funtimes car on the weekend (no track days)
What aspects are most important to you? Performance, toys, year-round capability in prairie winters, reasonable financing
Already have: Midsize SUV, that's the family car this one is mine

Short list so far:
Focus ST - Hits the price range, fun to drive, FWD is better than RWD for winter, but AWD would be great :/
Genesis 3.8 - AWD yay, but it's a bigger car than I need and pushes the top end of the price range a bit too far

Everything else I like (M235ix, S3/S4, Q50) is a bit too expensive.

You could wait a few weeks and see what ford announced with their 2016 Focus RS, is supposed to AWD 315hp monster.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

As long as a it runs the a dealer will most likely give you a at least a grand for it. kbb ballparks it trade in value between $1k and $2k. Depending on your state, trading in might also lower the tax you play on your purchase.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

AWD would make me feel invincible.

This is how those people ended up in those guard rails.

You might want to see how small of a crossover you would actually be comfortable in, maybe see if you are comfortable in something as small as a Subaru XV Crosstrek.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Planet X posted:

I know this is the car buying thread, but where would be the most appropriate place to ask / research on what a fair asking price is for my car? (03 WRX hatchback). I've looked on KBB, but wanted to ask a few specific questions before I post it for sale.

Unless you need the sell it asap, no real harm in listing it high. Everyone is going to try and haggle you down. I suggest looking on some of the subbie forums to try and get a more accurate price. You either going to end up selling that car to one of two types of people. Someone who just wants a used hatch back or a gear-head who loves WRXs. One of those is going to play significantly more than the other. Bonus points if your WRX is world rally blue.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

A used frs/brz is also a good option if you want a hard top miata. It has been out for 3 years so you should start seeing off lease cars hit the market. 20k to 30k mile cars should be under $20k.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

IRQ posted:

You haven't really driven the Corolla a long time, it has a lot of life left in it unless you forgot to change the oil for 100k miles, but yes, Priuses are beyond bulletproof even by Toyota standards.

As far as gizmos, I see you mentioned bluetooth/hands free. You can get a bluetooth kajigger for $100> that goes in the cigarette lighter and plugs into the aux jack, which is quite a bit cheaper than an entire new car.

You could even go so far as to replace to the radio/headunit for a couple hundred.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

The aftermarket camera solutions available look really janky IMHO. Would be interested in seeing if anybody has an experience to the contrary.

A few people have had luck taking taking the backup camera from a Subaru Forester/Tribeca and installing it in a BRZ. I imagine similar things work well as long as you taking a oem part from another vehicle of the same brand.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

You can get an addition ~20hp at the wheels on a BRZ with a new Header and tune for about $1k but after that you really need FI. The only issue I had with my BRZ was taillight condensation which they fixed on the new models. The amount of adjustment in the drivers seat and steering wheel is amazing. Reving the BRZ to 7k rpms is just a ton of fun and its ability to corner phenomenal. The BRZ is a surprisingly useful car with the rear seats folding level and opening to the trunk. It is fine car for a couple to take trips in. Honestly the radio is annoying but I just use it for a bluetooth connection to my phone and to listen to local 2 radio station so it isn't that bad.

I saw someone bring up a interesting idea that if you were just going to use the BRZ for a weekend fun car that you can get a S2000 with an additional 40 hp for half the price.

The best way to decide is to test drive both and see if you prefer the raw power of the ST or the handling of the BRZ.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

booshi posted:

Proposed Budget: Up to 25k.

New or Used: Used

Body Style: Small SUV (coming from an Escape), or a sedan that can handle the winter well.

How will you be using the car?: Mostly smaller commutes (work commute is 10miles), I tend to be hauling around gear at times so extra space helps (music gear, random things for home improvement/other projects, I've used the space in my Escape a LOT). I sometimes take short trips (Boston->Philly, Boston->NH) as well. No family, just the GF and I.

What aspects are most important to you?: Something that can handle snow/ice well (I live in Boston and don't want to go back to dealing with a sedan in the snow unless it's 4WD), so 4WD as well, better gas mileage is a plus. Something that is comfy for me to sit in (6'1"). If it's a 4 cylinder then one that still has decent pickup and doesn't feel like I'm pushing it just getting on the highway.

I am considering a used Escape, CR-V, or CX-5. Anything I should be leaning towards or anything else I should be considering? I will be test driving a lot of things as this is not something I need to get right away.

Crosstrek XV?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

euphronius posted:

My wife had a really bad winter driving.

Spend a grand and get her a set winter tires and steelies. That will do twice a much good as AWD.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Poeple forget light weight cars have less momentum so they are much easier to control in those oh crap situations. My BRZ with a set of blizzak tires handles just about anything the Great Lakes decide to dump on me. Modern traction control is pretty amazing and combine that with the benefits of driving a lightweight manual car, you can prevent those little oh crap situations from turning into oh poo poo situations. If main roads have 6" of snow on them then I won't be driving no matter what car I own.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Are there any huge known issues with the latest model year RAV4?

My wife is pretty stressed out post-accident (December) and feels like she wants something with a little higher seating position and better safety rating than the 07 Prius. It's still worth a bit on trade-in (low miles) and her commute is short enough that we won't see a huge difference in gas $. I haven't seen anything major in a tacit googlin', but you guys are a really good source of known issues--and I know some newer Toyota engines have had TSB oil-drinking issues.

Thoughts?

Show her IIHS small overlap crash video if you want to get out of buying a new car. I don't think any car looks good after this test.

rav4 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl4-cO6pO34

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're not very good at looking at small overlap crash videos. That test is a perfect performance.

It is a perfect performance but it looks terrifying and that is what I was going for.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

That still makes no sense, because if you compare that 'good' to a car that wasn't designed for that test, it really makes me want a RAV4.

I was trying to point out crashes are scary even in a big bad rear end suv at 40mph. I will stop making GBS threads up the thread now.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

berzerker posted:

Is there actual testing somewhere that says snow tires are worth a drat? I've only used them some, but that amount matched what I'd always heard, which is that they're Bad. Meanwhile, the thread seems down on AWD, which I've found to be Good.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testSearch.jsp?fromWintertesting=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The residual value on that 2013 RDX might be close to our more than the value left on the current lease. The dealer could just be rolling that value into the next lease to lower the payments. This happened to my boss last month when he turned in his 2012 Honda Pilot.