Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Almost every time I'd take a right turn on my Vulcan. That stupid bike was slammed with long drag pipes. Right turns were dicey once that pipe contacted pavement. It's nothing like scraping a peg, those are hinged.

I am glad to be rid of that bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Had a huge pucker moment yesterday coming west on WA-20 over north Cascades pass. The roads cut out of the mountainside get hit by some mean sidewind, and I managed to get walloped by a gust from the right while committed to a left-turn lean.

Weirdest feeling ever, I fully braced for lowside impact before I corrected my lean. And before you tell me to correct the lean BEFORE bracing for impact, know that this all took place within the space of about half a second.

Talk about dicey. Pay attention to those sidewind alerts, everybody!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 28, 2010

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MrZig posted:

Also if anyone wants to be forced to learn how to ride in the rain just take the oregon coast down to California. It rained every. Single. Day.

Hahaha, that's the truth right there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Did you ride over a tar snake or a painted line while leaned over or something? Those can get you all out of shape.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Stugazi posted:

Finished the entire video.

Front wheel washouts scare me. Everything else I can see a cause and effect but washouts just seem like poo poo. Is there a cause or preventative measure for taking a turn and in the next second not being on your rear end?

Boring advice: don't ride faster than you can see and react.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ArbitraryTA posted:

Ah, so I did a fun stupid thing on the Harley a few days back. I hit the rear brake while in a turn since my city has some silly roads that go from a tight turn right into a light. Normally, no problem, but apparently I put too much on the rear and it started locking up and slipping (the road being wet likely did not help). I immediately pulled the clutch in and lined up the bike as best I could and released the rear brake in a controlled fashion. It jerked me forward a bit but I just reacted naturally and slowed to a stop at the red.

Scared the crap out of me.

My Vstar had a touchy rear brake, too. By the end of my 2 years of ownership, I starting having fun controlling the locked-rear slide.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I simply cannot lock the rear brake on the Ulysses or the DT when they're in gear. I accept it, and I'm used to it. Then I got on my friend's KTM 300EXC and tapped the lever ever so lightly to control my descent down a little hill, locked up the rear unexpectedly, and landed me and the bike in a nice little bramble. Do'h!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

Also gently caress my Shoei Qwest, a $300 helmet shouldn't fog up whenever the temperature dips below 40.

I hate that about the Qwest. I'm due for a new helmet in a year or so, it's hard to decide whether to get a pinlock setup before then or be more particular about a helmet that doesn't fog up as easily next time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The only times I've ever been stung were on the motorcycle. I think I am defying some serious odds there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Had some close calls between Seattle and Reno.

Near Kamiah ID in some great twisties: I missed a deer by inches. One second I'm looking down the shoulders for deer, the next second there's a deer in front of me way closer than where I was looking. I lost sight of its legs behind my instrument panel and could hear its hooves on the road. Got on the brakes pulled the rear wheel off the road for a moment. Close one.

Near Virginia City NV: a horse decided to run across 5 lanes of highway between our group. Our sweep guy, Seņor, said he was more worried about the oncoming Sierra launching the stupid animal into his lap than avoiding the horse alone. Appropriately, we were on the Pony Express route at the time.

Near Elko NV: some crazy overeducated Californian in a Fit on Seņor's butt decided to pull out and pass IN FRONT OF A SEMI THAT WAS TRYING TO PASS. She almost got creamed, I watched that unfold in my rear view. Then she passed us all, half in our lane, half in the empty-for-miles oncoming. We lectured her about being stupid at the next gas stop. I don't think she learned anything though. She might not get people so polite and level headed next time she tries something like that.

South of Bend on US97 (worst stretch of road in existence, it is constant chaos): Oncoming dude passed like 4 vehicles including a semi without even almost enough room. We had to hit the shoulder and stop to avoid being mowed through. The great part is if he'd had maybe 8 more seconds of patience or initiative, the road in front of and behind us was empty for miles. Between the five of us, that guy got six middle fingers.

No actual incidents though, so that's good.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 29, 2014

• Locked thread