Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM9igD3XxaE

Boss 429 grenades its flywheel on a dyno, slicing off the corner of the block, puts a hole in the wall, and destroys the next room.

Details/pics here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Vanagoon posted:

I don't mean to be an rear end in a top hat, honestly!, but who was it in that other thread that insisted that the engine block in his/someone he knew's car was bent?

They don't bend, they break. We have to show this guy that thread.

I can -not- remember which thread it was. These photos need to be shown to that person, stat!

edit: for huge post. make smaller.

It was the dude with the twin turbo viper with the chute, I think. He was talking about an SRT10 truck, where he had trouble taking the main caps off after some shady engine work or something. I don't remember the details, maybe he'll post or someone else will find his original post.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Billy Zane posted:

He DROVE. To the dealership. Like this. What? :psyduck:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I think the consensus from the last time this was brought up was that it was for pedestrian impact safety. Some crap like hitting the hood would be less damaging if it has plastic bullshit under it or something.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sponge! posted:

I live in PA.

And the fact that it started right after my inspection puts it at more than coincidence...

Here in PA they do pull the pads and inspect them for glazing/cracks/de-lamination. On drums they pull the drum off and check it and the shoes.

That must suck, front drums where you have to re-pack the bearings and poo poo to get to them. But hey, free drum adjustment!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Hahaha, a loud boom. :haw:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pipkin posted:

I feel bad about killing the 283 but I got another 283 from craigslist that already has a hot cam in it :D

Isn't the earliest hot cam the LT4 hotcam? Those require a roller block, which no 283 is. Is there an earlier one that I haven't heard of? Google is only showing me the LSx and LT4 hotcams.

e: or do you just mean a generic cam which is hot instead of the GMPP Hotcam? Maybe I misunderstood.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Give me an object for a sense of scale for that. Boats are big.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pipkin posted:

I didn't mean hot cam by name, just that its better than stock. Its the 327/350hp cam.

Throw some double humps on there to match! 283s had pretty small valves and ports, iirc. Then again, this is a truck, that is probably unnecessary.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

oxbrain posted:

Car buying tip #1: Don't buy it if it looks like this.

"check for signs of a major accident, don't trust the seller"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EightBit posted:

This wasn't being driven around, right? :wtc:

You know better than that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

It looks like they all knew it was about to happen.

That's what I figure, what with videotaping the hot steel as it comes down the line and minimal reaction.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yet another reason to run the oil pump with a drill with a pressure gauge attached.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Scientist posted:

Where would one want to put the oil pressure gauge?

I've just used the sender location. On a SBC that's on the rear part of the block right behind the intake manifold.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Only time I've experienced brake fade was driving through a hilly residential area in SF. The suicide circuit master cylinder is way more of a liability than the drum brakes, I'd even say that buying cheap tires has more of an effect on drivability than properly functioning drums.

E: ^^ not a charger though. I only broke a buck once, and the car got scary fast. Lots of other upgrades I'd have to do before I'd want to upgrade the brakes!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sponge! posted:

Yeah but you can't rent a PT, stealth nitrous/methanol it, beat the gently caress out of it on the drag(13.8 @ 102 anyone?), then turn it in with nobody the wiser...

OR CAN YOU?!?! (Someone do it with a PT!)

Well, all the drivetrain (and I think chassis as well) is similar enough to the Neon, so I don't see why not.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nmfree posted:

I think the emote you're looking for is .

What gets me is that he was storing a tank without the heavy caps over the valves that keep this from happening. Every time I think about moving a tank I imagine how easy it would be to knock the valve into something or drop the tank onto the valve or something. Gives me the willies. Don't welding instructors always drill that into you? Always use the cap!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boat posted:

Not to mention the whole "instant unguided missile" thing should the valve break off entirely.

Yeah it's not like acetylene is unstable or anything.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
poo poo, I didn't know that. That's crazy, for the reasons you mentioned. I've only worked with the larger tanks, and only briefly - who thought that was a good idea? If it's small, it'll only blow your truck up a little bit?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Throatwarbler posted:

Where is the poster who does school bus autocross competitively at the national level? I need to be educated on the performance dynamics of various school bus designs.

I don't remember, but it was college-level so not a "school bus" as you would think of one, they were just buses that belonged to his school. I think.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Seems like adding some to the water jacket might have some pretty good effects, not just the oil. Wouldn't have to worry about the filter that way too. Would have to write off whatever radiator you use, but I think that's a concern no matter what you do.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

thelightguy posted:

Come to Pennsylvania and prepare to be financially raped on such asinine things as whether your shift position indicator is aligned properly and whether or not the idiot flap in your filler neck is still there.

Sounds like you just said "Don't come to Pennsylvania"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

did that to a 285/75r16 BFG AT a few months ago :(

I accidentally backed up over an engine block, though, it wasn't a lift. Swear I'd backed up right by that engine a hundred times without hitting it, and then smacked it good and hard that one time.

I just knew that was a kastein post without looking at your name.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Was it the lack of thread-relevant content, the useless information, or the driving into an engine block by accident? :haw:

Big tires and driving into an engine block, yup.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

General_Failure posted:

Those looked like mower plugs to me too. What can I say! Besides mowers I've never had plugs with threads that short on anything.

The one on top is one of the ones currently in my SBC :shobon:
(And the one on the bottom is one that was in until it met the piston, from being too long. Vortec application only, durr.)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
No picture yet, but it looks like the previous owner welded the harmonic balancer onto the crankshaft of my 327. Hopefully it's just welded to the remains of the bolt, and not the crank. Even if it is, what are the chances that it's a lovely weld with no penetration, since the early 327 has a forged crank and I'm sure they did no pre-heating?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I thought maybe the bolt broke in the crank, and the welder was closer than the machine shop. That's why maybe it's just welded to what's left of the bolt. Maybe.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Wasn't it mostly the 5.4 that had those problems?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
While I don't have any pictures, I just witnessed a very strange mechanic(al) failure. I'm waiting to turn left, and I see a late second gen Camaro ahead of me lose a wheel. So I go straight through the intersection instead of turning, and ask the driver (wearing a three piece suit without the jacket) if he needs a hand. He frowns and says "Lemme think about that" as he pulls his wheel out of the ditch. Then he gets back into the car and fuckin' floors it down the road, dragging the right front brake disk. So there I am, about to offer him a jack, standing in his cloud of dust, next to his wheel (which he left in the road). I drive home via the road he took and never saw him again, what a strange fellow. I guess he was late for whatever he was going to? But he didn't even throw his wheel in the trunk. :psyduck:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrYenko posted:

Who the hell drives a plastic fantastic camaro and wears a three piece suit?

Man, I don't even know. Someone in a hurry, I guess.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I really wish I didn't have to post in this thread this often, or really ever. However, I noticed some looseness of a piston in a 350 I got from craigslist about a year ago, in order to limp me a few hundred miles home. Turns out the "just rebuilt 20k miles ago" engine is not in super great shape. I've only taken the driver's side bank apart so far, and this is what I've found:

There are more than a couple things wrong here. This is the piston that felt loose as I was trying to scrub off the carbon buildup from the top.

Surprisingly, this is not the same cylinder.

:barf:

Crank journal to go with the above.

How does this even happen?

Yea, that's not good.

Something that's not very apparent from this picture is that one of these rods is the odd man out, totally different casting. Also marked as a second cylinder #1, but is in hole #3. Also also, the rod that was in hole #5 was marked #6. Great. Frankenmotor.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Thank you for the reminder that "rebuilt engine" doesn't mean properly rebuilt.

I can't wait to see the passenger bank.

Yeah, so now I have to replace this motor, so back to Craigslist! At least I know now to check all of the rod bearings before purchase, instead of just one. Also to not ignore that alarm in the back of my head that goes off when all of the gaskets are RTV. But, when you have to have a motor this weekend, sometimes some precautions get silenced.

As for the passenger bank, it actually looked much better. Two rods marked "#2", so that means they are ordered "1" "2" "1" "2" "6" "5" "7" "8". Well, that many punch dots, anyway; the rebuilder didn't seem to have a set of numbered punches onhand. Except for one of the "#1" ones.

The culprits. Also shown: The Butt Doctor rattlegun. Love that thing. :allears:

I made an imgur album of all the pics from this side, because there's nothing nearly as catastrophic as the other side, but all of the bearings definitely look like hell: http://imgur.com/a/2t1HD

The only one that is worthy of this thread is this guy:

Plus the horrible mechanic failure of having the compression ring gaps right next to each other.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Geirskogul posted:

The rings spin around when the engine is running. Gap placement is a bullshit old wives tale

Hmm. I guess that makes me the horrible mechanic failure; I got chumped by whoever told me that I suppose. To be fair, it is also printed as gospel in an engine building textbook I have. :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It does also look a bit like that Redline assembly lube, and one thing that has been drilled into my head over the years is that "you can never have too much assembly lube! When in doubt, stick some more in!" :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Raluek posted:

Is this as bad as it looks? :(

Weird that the bearing doesn't seem to have the little knick that aligns it in the cap. As such it was sliding around. Normal?

Crosspost from the stupid thread. It's a spun bearing. Guess what? All of them are spun. Except #3, for some reason. 1,2,4,5,6,7, and 8 are all spun. :shepspends:

Don't trust people on Craigslist, folks!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Personally I'd get way more upset about something with history getting busted up rather than a brand new one of millions vehicle that nobody's had a chance to get attached to yet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Throatwarbler posted:

I haven't read anywhere that it was ever called a coupe, I think the uploader of the video just mistitled it (the footage is dubbed in German, appropriately enough). That thing would have been called a 2 door hardtop. The old American taxonomy for sedan and coupe was based on interior volume not the number of doors.

If I remember correctly, whether or not the car has fixed pillars also matters. A two door car with pillars would still be called a sedan, whereas a pillarless one would be called a hardtop, and if it was of small interior volume it could also be called a coupe. I think?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Going along these same lines, how would you describe my car? (not trying to argue, I'm honestly not sure exactly what it falls into outside of marketing speak)

Its official model designation is "Ion Quad Coupe". There's also no B pillar, and the rear doors can't open unless the front doors are open. Not sure if the "quad" refers to the doors, or how many seats (the back seat is 1+1 instead of a bench, it has a hard plastic bin in the middle instead).

The sedan version had a normal B pillar and the normal 4 doors, and the sedan had 3 seat belts + bench in the back instead of the 1+1.

Those doors do enable me to carry absurd amounts of stuff that should never fit in such a small car, at least. :v:

I'd call it a 4-door hardtop? But you might qualify for being called a coupe with a small enough interior volume. Can you have a 4-door coupe if it's small enough?

E: But the windows aren't frameless. Hmm. Not sure if a hardtop can have framed windows?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

West SAAB Story posted:

:ssh: It also only has a single suicide door on the drivers' side.

Hmm. I thought when he said "rear doors" that it meant two of them. I dunno then :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've yet to tear into the brakes (:suicide:), so I'll mostly likely pick up some flowmasters and a set of headers and get those in when I tackle that