Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

8ender posted:

If that's a 4.0 then there's been a disturbance in the force and kastein is probably already on his way

But didn't Kastein post that? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Powershift posted:

Aww, look at the cute miniature pallets.

what is the purpose of the banana?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

With the tip of it's tongue!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

I think my brain is preventing me from comprehending this picture to spare me the trauma.

I had to read the entire original post to grasp that that wasn't a piece of gauze on the metal...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Not gonna lie, watch the end of that mill crash video like 10 times in a row giggling like an idiot

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsMGmzROxP0&t=824s

The long slow process of replacing the weakest part of your drivetrain...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Having seen one in person, I can guarantee helmets are required.

Because you sure as hell don't want anyone to recognize you.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Horrifying Fierro noises
https://youtu.be/I_Dy_xRxuNo

Haha. "You put oil back in it, right?"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

xzzy posted:

I don't think any insurance company pays the replacement cost of any car, unless you set up special terms beforehand (and pay through the nose).

Alberta, but I got 2 years of depreciation protection without charge on my last new vehicle.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It looks to me like the numbers have consistent angular spacing, so the needle can turn the same as it would on a circular speedometer.

When do you need to know how fast you are going beyond a few mph accuracy anyway?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Orange Mage posted:

I didn't know VW was in the habit of re-badging old Chrysler engines. :crossarms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Routan

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

tater_salad posted:

a duce and a half would be so amazing to drive around town in.. by amazing I mean awful, but I'm sure my wife would appreciate it right?right?

Are you Doccers? Then yes. Otherwise? Maaaaaaybe not.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

She also has a five ton, if I recall correctly.

Yeah although I'm not sure if they're actually married.

Appropriate link 1
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728274&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Also:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737559&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

xzzy posted:

No way, it's the bar's fault for getting him drunk.

:iiam:

The bar is legally responsible for making sure their visibly intoxicated patrons get in a cab. Have been for years.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Savington posted:

Shut your whore mouth. God's seatbelts are fastened with 7/16-20 fasteners, and he won't hear any debate on the topic. :colbert:

God is omnipotent and omnipresent. Why would he need seatbelts?

Edit: hey Leviticus 21:17. It's right there.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 10, 2016

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

StormDrain posted:

I just watched an auction of city busses go for $5k each, one of them was only $1,600.

Which I'm sure is a terrible idea for obvious reasons but I don't have any other outlets to share that.

How much did you pay for yours?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

nm posted:

Sure, but I'm sure ford sees a PR nightmare with a low mile car exploding doing what they advertised it doing.
However, I few companies have explictly included track as covered by warranty on very special cars (some version of the corvette IIRC?).

Ford should be used to PR nightmares by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcdM7bBHCU

That being said, what Ford is doing right now is insanely cool. Considering what they were selling in 2005, how cool is it that they have the GT, Raptor, 2 Halo versions of the Mustang, 2 Halo Focuses, and the Fiesta ST on or about right now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Memento posted:

You can answer your question with the following 100% true statement:

There Is Literally Nothing Good About The Mazda Tribute.

I have a '17 Escape and switching to the Focus chasis was the right thing for Ford to do. First bit of true Calgary winter driving and it's everything I wanted in a Focus Wagon, plus you can accidentally put it into oversteer and casually power out of it as it moves the tourqe to the front wheels.

Getting something other than all seasons for next winter though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Bibendum posted:

I really would like a Mazda5 for the family, it's moderate size and simplicity while still having a 3rd row makes it super tempting. But somehow they took a platform that has proven good in other cars and made it pretty marginal in crash safety.

Also the (manual only) driver's seat doesn't go back far enough.

It's fun when you can take a car off your shopping list In less than a minute.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo that's dumb.

Yeah but it's dumb once or twice a decade. Stow n Go is awesome all the time.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BobHoward posted:

The real lawn dart of that era was the F-104.

Well, yes.

But the main part of the problem was Skunkworks made a high-speed, high-altitude interceptor that was really good, and the Germans said:

"Hmmm. Could you make it do ground attack too?"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fermented Tinal posted:

In HS I elected to not take shop or the mechanic class. Instead I took Engineering Tech and we had a CNC lathe, mill, router, robotic arm, plastic thermoforging machine/welder, and a rapid prototyper amongst other things.

My grandfather was a HS shop teacher, after years of begging my parents they finally gave me one of the workbenches from his class and I have a radial arm saw sitting on top of it that I first used when I was like 6 years old.

Out of my group of friends that are 30somethings like me, only one other one owns any tools beyond a hammer, multibit screwdriver, and the tape measure they barely know how to use.

Dragged my son out to the garage this weekend to help me build a bed for him. Sore and tired at the end of the day is probably bad for an 8 year old, but he had fun.

This is the reason why I did it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

As someone whos caught 480v (dc) across one hand it's not that painful.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

As someone who took 480 in my left hand and out my right bicep, eat a dickkkkkkkkkkk.

Change your weld gloves when you're in the middle east, children. Otherwise you spend 2 weeks in a hospital bed because your heart looks like the roller coaster of love.

Wait 240v. I'm remembering way wrong. Nvm my story sucks. (Yours is still good)

I did get some nice electrical burns in high school failing to make a tesla coil for a physics project though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, thread plz.

There for sure is a post on this. I saw a picture of the stitches on his stomach.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Internal combustion engines are cool as gently caress.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

spog posted:

How do you pronounce 'JIS'?

Is it 'jizz'?

It's "jay-eye-ess" :colbert:

And one of the pieces of equipment I work on (Fuji DEVO) has T7 screws with reduced head depth. They strip so easily, the first instruction in the manual for removing the back cover is "order 20 new screws."

InitialDave posted:

Allen heads are the devil's work in anything needing more than minimal torque.

Head depth matters alot too. Euro manufacturers love that poo poo though.

The best is american companies who engineer all their machines to use SAE screws then use an OTS European or Japanese component that has Metric screws, and is secured by metric screws.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 7, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

joat mon posted:

OTOH, a hood up is a good "this vehicle is broken down and isn't going anywhere soon" signal. (But doesn't explain staring into the engine bay)

Hood up is req'd by law in Alberta, at least it was when I got my learners a couple decades ago.

And if the hood's up, it's a good place to call for help while avoiding everyone's evil looks as they pass you.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I drove my Mom's Cologne powered Escape shortly after getting my own 1.5l Escape. I was not prepared for how gutless that V6 was in comparison.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

wolrah posted:

The Escape never had a Cologne engine, those were only in longitudinal applications. The Escape V6 was the Duratec 30.

Huh, don't know why I thought it was.

It was pretty poo poo, anyways. There's no way that was 240hp

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I love This Old Tony because he puts so much effort into his videos.

yeah just learned about this.

It's good.

Also I can listen to it without my kids walking into my room and giving me poo poo about the language.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

xzzy posted:

Pretty sure everyone has a screwdriver with a chunk of metal missing from the shaft.

I was new and had not yet discovered the difference between turning the machine off and turning the disconnect off.

(one leg of the 3-phase was used to power the contactor for the power switch.)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don't get Watts so funny

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pHepfgw9lk

the horrible mechanical failure was in the past.

Stay for what he finds in the old stud holes.

in his words "A Bouquet of Bullshit"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

InitialDave posted:

It's a really neat job he does in the end, though I'm surprised it's economically viable over sourcing some un-hosed-with hubs from elsewhere.

Apparently that was his recommendation to the customer. Customer says he can't find replacements.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6B3uvhrcQk

Wear yer safety squints, eh? You faks.

This is mostly an excuse to post period table of videos. worth a few hours of your time if you haven't seen it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyfsQsTtn0o

Now I'm ready to start my day, knowing that despite how bad things get, it could be a lot worse.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 20, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MikeyTsi posted:

I remember being tired one day on the job (lot rat at a Ford dealer), and neglecting to put the brand new F150 I was moving around the lot in park, setting the parking brake, or turning it off before opening the door and jumping out.

That was a fun day.

When I used to work at a distribution centre one of our forklift guys jumped out of his truck to toss some garbage,at the end of his shift.

He forgot that he wasn't on a forklift any more so he left the truck in drive, expecting it to stay stopped.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Probably the Canadian version.

No, you're thinking of Powerfist

Edit: I just like typing Powerfist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Javid posted:

Thanks, harbor freight.

The Harbor Freight Michael Jackson Collection is the bizarest brand sponsorship I've ever seen.