Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

revmoo posted:

That's pretty standard these days. Our 4Runner has one and most BMWs do as well.

Correct. Since MINI is made by BMW, they have a nice little thermostat housing with built in thermostat, all plastic that's been termed 'the jarvik'.

Fails right after warranty expires and lets you know by pooling coolant on top of the transmission. Note: minis also do not come with coolant temperature gages.

Behold!

And where it lives:

I'm patiently waiting for the next 22,000 miles when the one in my wife's Mini takes a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

some texas redneck posted:

Toyota even used the hydraulic cooling fans on the Camry at one point. I want to say the 2nd or 3rd generation?

Had a 2nd gen, they were electric.

Looking up old 2nd gens, I must say that when done just so, they kinda look like an E30

I wish mine looked cool like that, maybe not so 'stanced', but nice and clean like that one, and without the black trashcan bumpers they all had.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Computer viking posted:

I guess I can be the first to ask: What exactly is that? The pieces of body I can see don't really help me identify it.

That's a corvette. You can see the torque tube behind the engine going to the transaxle at the back.
e: from another angle

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 15, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How in the gently caress does one chew through ball joints that fast? Was he rallying with SiF or something? :psyduck:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Fart Pipe posted:

I took this pic last year

Also the cat was bad at 12k so I replaced it. It was clogged and woudnt go more than like 60mph, then found out like a week later that there was a recall for it and I could have had it replaced for nothing.

My best friend in college had one of these in like metallic brown and I remember riding around with him. The front end would go up and down after each bump and it had like 1/8th turn of play in the steering and it wasn't more than 5 years old. #justchryslerthings

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Just to make sure, the 4.7L v8 they put in the Grand cherokees in the early 2000's were also trash, right? My Dad had one and it sounded nice but was such a gutless piece of poo poo at any speed over 10mph. Weren't those the ones that liked to drop valve seats?

He sold that to get a diesel grand cherokee, which was also gutless and downright dangerous for passing maneuvers on two lane roads. Also, chrysler's interior plastics really went to hell from the early 2000's to the mid 2000's. I mean that 2002 GC was really a nice place to be, but the diesel one had such a lovely interior for how expensive that truck was. I hated driving it because my left knee would rest right on some angled thing in the driver's side door, making it super uncomfortable over time.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

If we're talking about unobtanium vehicles, why hasn't the gama goat been mentioned? I hear that thing's unsafe as gently caress too...

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 12, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

DiggityDoink posted:

This is just as much poor ownership decisions as it is a mechanical failure.

Found while washing it today. It's probably actually been broken for a while now and I only noticed because I last hit the brakes going backwards before I parked it, usually it's straight into the garage. Thankfully it wasn't out on the highway that I found out about it.

drat, that bike almost made a Layer Dan out of you :stare: after my cycling accident and hearing from a coworker who wrecked at 150mph on the track, I'm happy to never ride motos again.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

chrysler.txt

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Geirskogul posted:

Ratcheting box wrenches have changed my life

Especially when the ratchet end also has a bit of flex to it like some gear-wrenches have. God I love those things. Those and flare nut wrenches for doing brakes.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

One of my neighbors seems to have made a booboo.

I thought once the airbags deploy, the car's scrap. So why is this parked in front of our homes and not at the scrapyard by the airport?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

spog posted:

He drove it home whilst still drunk?

I could imagine driven home while elderly. The couple that owns it look rather ancient. Maybe they had it flat-bedded here.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wish I had a video camera yesterday. I was having a stroll around the neighborhood and a 08-11 focus was driving realllly slowly. His front tire was holding on by one lugnut. I could hear the wheel scraping up and down the threads of the wheel studs with every rotation. I called out that he should probably stop right now, as the wheel was getting more and more wobbly with every rotation. Looked like he heard me and changed to the spare. I guess aluminum wheels lose out to studs in that case. I can't imagine what that had to feel like to drive on.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This morning I went to rotate the tires on the subie. It's a new to me car, so I haven't gone over it all the way, and apparently the PO had some tires installed on the front. Luckily the tread depths are all the same, but the installers put the tires on the wheels with the 'inside' facing to the outside.

Drove by discount tire and had them flip em around, x pattern rotate, and pull a nail from the left rear. Is there any problem with running tires 'inside out' like that? I assume tires are labeled 'inside' and 'outside' for some reason.

e: after some quick googling, another poor soul had these michelin defender x greens installed backwards on his prius too, someone posted:

quote:

According to Tire Rack, Michelin Defenders have a "mildly asymmetric tread design" which is why they have inside/outside markings. You should get them remounted in the correct orientation ASAP. The dealer should correct this at no charge to you.

I wonder if this is that strange growling noise this car's been making.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 2, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

IPCRESS posted:

I used to keep mine in my desk drawer or would check it with my coat.

Personally, I liked the 'stealth' faceplates that would turn around and show mirror-finish plastic where the deck should be. You can probably guess how effective that was as far as junkie camouflage went.

I remember those. I think they were called El Kameleon or something like that. JVC, if I recall.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Shamelessly stolen from reddit

:italy:

how do I get gifvs to play on here?

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 7, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Some dipshit on JRITS(reddit) said this lady was eating cereal and spilled it and welp :shrug:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The hot coppery smell of stop-leak mixed with sickly sweet hot coolant smell in the middle of summer in San Antonio. Wondering why when I press the gas, the car is so sluggish. I look at the cluster to see the temp gauge pegged so hard to H it's off the scale. The previous owner replaced a heater core hose with garden hose and pumped the fucker full of stop-leak. The pool of nasty rusty/coppery water pooling on top of the transmission in the Texas heat sure was a thing to see. I'm so paranoid about cooling systems from that experience. That 89 camry kept on truckin for another two years with a warped head before it finally blew the headgasket and started running on 3 cylinders. Had it machined and reinstalled and that thing is still kicking around somewhere in Florida. Old toyota best toyota.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You owe me an 8 second car now. I wonder how insurance rates for the toyobaru are going these days.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SouthsideSaint posted:

So that's what muffler bearings look like.

I think that's exactly the title of the reddit post that came from.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

This looks fine...

Wait, what?

Oh goddamnit

I hope that control arm mount can just be re-kajiggerd

Some rear end in a top hat in an suv ran a stop sign. My wife, when faced with the choice of a t-bone on the driver's side and swerving/hitting a curb, she chose the curb. rear end in a top hat didn't even stop.

I pulled the bent rim and put the rear wheel on the front, then put the donut on the rear, so I wouldn't cook the diff. I'm gonna roll this over to an indy BMW shop and hopefully the strut isn't hosed. The control arm is stamped steel and the tie rod looked okay, just the FCA mount got pushed over. I probably need to get new tires that hit the curb too, lest I get bubbles in the sidewalls, right?

e: looks like the rim is $226 on realoem
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=SU33-USA-08-2013-R56N-Mini-Cooper&diagId=36_1004

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 1, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mechanic says the balljoint broke. I'm inclined to believe him. The steering wheel felt only mildly connected to the wheels at any speed over 40. That felt like a death ride on the fury road. I told my wife that if this thing starts having all kinds of stupid semi related issues down the road, it's getting sold, she's getting my subie, and I'm getting another shitbox subie. I'm not dealing with another episode of Bring Money With you

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Slavvy posted:

You're in for a fun time. The control arm bolt you can see isn't the only one. There is another one which bolts into the subframe through the sway bar mount, you can see them on the right in the second picture. If the whole cast assembly that holds the bush has moved, the subframe is bent.

:perfect:
You're the poo poo for calling that one. I had the balljoint replaced and the car re-aligned and it still pulled pretty bad to the right. Called up my insurance company and had it looked at by a collision place. Subframe is bent and it got shifted so badly it threw off the left side as well. Getting a new subframe and LCA. Ordered a new rim at BMW and the guy gave me a huge discount because I was quiet, patient, and had the part number from realoem. There were some seriously pushy, conceited assholes in that dealership, wow.

Anyhow, wifey's happy the car's gonna be right again, and I'm happy I'm able to provide that for her. I like the car so it's not really a stretch to pay a couple bucks to make all this perfect. Thanks for your advice!

E: the guy told me on the phone that one of the angles (can't remember which, I think toe) was off by 23° :stare: That car wasn't safe to drive over 50 mph.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

veedubfreak posted:

You keep a low deductible right? Right? I looked into raising my deductible from 250 up to 500 or 1000 and the price change was so small it wasn't worth it. As many times as I've had to have my last 2 cars into the body shop due to other people being idiots, it's a lot easier to write a 250 check and wait for reimbursement than a 1000. Also, helps in the event I manage to do something stupid in the snow one of these days.

One

Thousand

Dollars

:negative:

I'll be dropping that poo poo to $250-500 on the next renewal.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

1500quidporsche posted:

Thats the industry in general. I don't work in property or auto but if I get a request like that the first thing I do is pull up the client's claim history to see if they've actually claimed something in that bracket.

The reverse of course is them assuming you're going to claim like a motherfucker if you go the other way.

I've been with USAA since 1997 and this is the first year I've ever made a claim. I dunno if that helps, but seriously they've been really good and I hope I'm not gonna get pounded on premiums even if I don't lower deductibles.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

DethMarine21 posted:

That wrench looks like a good candidate for a wire wheeling followed by a chemical like Evapo-Rust or Boeshield Rust Free.

Man, I remember having to seal up frack pump fluid ends with Boeshield's rust inhibitor aerosol for shipment and that stuff is the loving tits. I'd highly reccomend it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

0toShifty posted:

This BMW had the usual lights, and some strange light in the middle. I understand it's to indicate an issue with traction or stability control - but what a non-intuitive icon!

That trifecta of DSC, brake, and ABS means a bad wheel sensor. The washer fluid is low because the check valve in the pump failed and the fluid pissed out the weep hole on the side. SES is likely failing DISA, VANOS seals, or CCV is cracked, or one of the coils failed or has a bad connection.

Can you tell I've owned a neglected E46? :shepface:

e: I'm impressed the screen to the left of the odometer isn't lit up with all the failed bulbs it has. Usually that screen is on when someone posts e46 dashboards.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Saga posted:

What's the solution for this? New pump? Mine does seem to go through washer fluid very quick.

Yep. The check valve is internal so when it fails, it's new pump time. It's not expensive and a pretty quick and easy replacement.

Link to DIY Includes part numbers too.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

0toShifty posted:

Hybrids also have no manifold vacuum and have electric vacuum pumps. It sounds like a cow actually. Especially audible on the Prius C. Pump the pedal more and you make the cow moo some more.

Also the master cylinder on a Toyota hybrid is ridiculously expensive. It's gotta sense and simulate a regular brake pedal when the car is actually regen braking.

This is on a Gen 3 prius. It's got the ABS module built into it. How much? Try $1600-$2000 for an OEM one!

My Mini cooper makes the moo sound too, since it has the N16 which has valvetronic. It's kinda funny that when you unlock the car if it's been sitting a few hours, you'll hear it make a little whirring noise towards the back of the car. I guess the engine bay has such limited space they had to put the pump somewhere else. I must say the car in 'sport' mode has a stupidly responsive throttle. I really like it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

literally a fish posted:

That's most likely the fuel pump priming the system.

After a little research, you are correct, it's the fuel system pressurizing.

All this chat of modules integrated into other modules got me thinking about the SZL (steering angle sensor) on my mini. After it was curbed so badly it bent the subframe, fcab, and lower control arm. All that stuff got replaced but then the SZL failed for some reason. It's a little optical decoder ring that sits on the steering shaft behind the wheel. For packaging reasons, BMW saw fit to integrate the control stalks into it as well. That means that the SZL failing means disassembling the steering column and replacing the whole module and re-coding it to the car for a whopping $1100.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 4, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kastein posted:

Oh right, I always forget RHD because I have literally never worked on one. Sorry, what I said only applies to LHD and I haven't a clue how the RHD XJs did their serp belt stuff.

Probably depends, but I don't believe I've ever seen asbestos-cloth insulation in a house*, it's usually rubber impregnated cotton over rubber.

* excepting some very specific applications where it was necessary, such as wiring to resistive heater elements in ovens, toasters, etc. Asbestos is actually still legal to use in the US in a handful of niche, special-purpose applications, but the industries involved do their damndest to avoid using it because "company X is still selling asbestos-tainted products for the hell of it!" is really awful publicity.

That's a pretty common place to put the steering angle sensor, but most makes do it more intelligently than that. For instance many Hondas (example: 2012 Accord Coupe) use the 35251-TA0-B11 steering angle sensor + housing. There are a handful of versions of the MFS (multifunction stalk) that have fogs and auto lights as options that plug right in, for any vehicle from the Fit to the Civic to the Accord to the Element (iirc.) Same for the wiper stalk, there's one with intermittent wiper, one without, one with rear wiper, one with rear wiper and washer, etc... for a half dozen different vehicles. And they all have the same wiring harness connector and plug right in, so theoretically you could junkyard modules from a higher spec vehicle and plug them into your base spec and suddenly have all those features, if the harness implements the extra wiring on model. And the electrical stuff isn't all networked and coded to the vehicle, for example the steering angle sensor is a 5 pin connector, takes 5V and ground and gives you open-collector outputs for the index pulse (every rotation of the wheel there's a pulse when the wheel is upright) and the A/B quadrature encoder pulses.

All a little fuzzy to me now, since it's been months since I worked on it, but I reverse engineered that all for a project at work. It's a very simple intuitive system and I intend to use them in my own projects as well if possible.

Yeah, but this is german poo poo, why do it simple when complicated will do?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wonder if those ECMs are on a seperate cooling system from the engine coolant. I can't imagine any electronics liking being at 200°+ for more than a couple seconds before electron migration starts up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I both saw and heard a chrysler pacifica driving down Westheimer road in Houston doing about 40mph with one wheel cocked a good 20° inwards. It sounded like the worlds best sustained drift. It didn't look like she was in a hurry to get it fixed.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Re: NPT chat. There are NPTs that are meant to work without thread tape: NPTF. I remember hand tapping 1/4 NPT threads into forged 4130 with a 2 foot extension to clear the rest of the part. That was nerve wracking listening while you turn the tap a smidge at a time and pray you don't hear a *tink*. The shop scrapped one of those forgings ($100K OTD) because the machinist snapped the tap in the part, then went to drill it out with the horizontal boring mill and missed the tap and didn't stop there. He went to depth, about 3/8" out of location.:ughh:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Miata Is Always The Answer.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Isn't that the same guy who wrote about FOOF ?

that guy posted:

you run a mixture of oxygen and fluorine through a 700-degree-heating block. “Oh, no you don’t,” is the common reaction of most chemists to that proposal, “. . .not unless I’m at least a mile away, two miles if I’m downwind.”
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride
:lol:

Also, what the gently caress is going on at Honda?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What's the story with that tractor? Didn't look like anyone was in it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Uthor posted:

Just get a car with a dog-leg gearbox and all your problems will be solved.

gently caress the 914 so hard for that gearbox aaaaallll the way at the back and that ludicrous linkage. It's like it was designed to be sloppy. So many unintentional 1-4 skipshifts :ughh:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Snowmobiles and PWCs blow my mind with how much power they come with these days. I remember taking a smaller yamaha waverunner around Key West and riding that thing balls-out was loving scary how fast it could go. That thing all-out on the Atlantic jumping from wave to wave was a crazy experience. I was sore for days afterwards from how brutally those things can bash you around. I'd be very wary to take a snowmobile anywhere near top speed with a tree in the same zipcode.

160hp+, man...I remember how stupid fast 65hp felt in my Ninja 650.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I think there was a loose nut between the seat and the wheel on this truck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQdlXvbWSU

I wonder how many compression fractures those guys got.