Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finger looks fine to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Why are you so sure there's a nut or bolt in the engine?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

From Reddit:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

front wing flexing posted:

Not sure what's going on here. Figured you guys would know. I'm referencing the left rear.

blown shocks/trunk full of dead hookers?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

:eek:

rear brakes aren't looking too hot either

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Remember the Auckland Helo crash? Here is a better video with more turbine death whine.
http://youtu.be/v5aMT9MBfZI

I think this is the first time in recorded history that somebody was filming an event like this and kept the camera pointed at the subject rather then aiming it at their feet once it went bad. I guess it helps it was most likely a professional.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lazer_chicken posted:

If by this you mean "does anyone hate transverse V6's because changing the rear bank spark plugs is a bitch and a half," then yes.

I looked up the procedure for changing the plugs on the girlfriend's 1MZ and stopped reading at removing the intake manifold. gently caress that, it only has 120k on it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

thelightguy posted:

PA's is $36/yr.

Of course, the entirely separate inspection runs $70.

Inspections are priced by individual shops. I can usually get it done for $40 or less.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I also like how PA doesn't consider my Bronco a truck and my registration doesn't cost truck-prices.

Haha yeah only pickup trucks are "trucks" oh wait, vans too. Makes sense, right?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dradien posted:

Nah, vans are tagged as cars. My 1999 Voyager is a Hxx-xxxx, so cheap registration for me!

Also like living in Central PA with no emissions requirements.

I mean actual vans, like the ford E-series, etc. Not minivans.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

For some reason, amid all that, my favorite is the satellite receiver on the hood

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Root Bear posted:

Lady drops off her 1998 Ford Expedition at my shop for a brake inspection. When asked what kind of problem she's having, she simply says: "It makes noise in the front."

loving hell. No annual inspections in your state?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man that is seriously lovely, but if I were the owner there's no chance I'd let the driver move it an inch. Why couldn't he tell him to gently caress off and come back with a flatbed or dollies?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BoostCreep posted:

I assume you tried screwing bolts into those two smaller holes and that didn't work?

I've posted this before. It's my go to for stuck rotors, has never failed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

The other, which is largely related to that, is I haven't owned anything that thus fits the category of 'trackable' for me. The Miata needed a rollbar, which to clear my head with a helmet, would have also needed me to ditch the ragtop. The MS3 is better in that regard, but is also the only vehicle I own that I can safely put my daughter into, so balling it up would be a Bad Idea; also, I'm sure the MS3's already-annoyingly-pricey consumables become more painfully expensive with track use.

I did a track day in my MS3, and it did stupendously. Only cost me boiled brake fluid, brake and tire wear was minimal. You should really give it a go, it does really well on the track.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

It took me 6 months of ownership to find out that the oil pressure "gauge" on my Miata was just an idiot light without the light. :shobon:

If you have an NA you can easily make it a real gauge by swapping the sender and gauge. Did t in my 97.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I was about to give up when I finally heard the noticeable pop of a bolt coming un-torqued.

Can be the greatest sound you've hard in ages in given circumstances.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fucknag posted:

So my ex-manager's wife brought their truck into the shop the other day for oil and new tires. Oil was gone, probably because of the 14,000 miles since the last (conventional) oil change. As for the tires, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzARuPVMOvQ

Probably not worth the time.

All four tie rod ends were completely shot and had vertical play, wheel bearings needed packed, idler arm you saw, pitman was pretty bad too. The loose shock was so worn I could compress it with a finger tip and it would stay there, the other shocks were just as bad judging by how badly the truck bounced. We couldn't even check the ball joints because everything else was so loose but I suspect they were shot as well. All in all, the tires had a range of about 3 degrees toe out to 9 in, and the passenger wheel had visibly more negative camber.

There was a child seat in the back row.

They did not fix a single thing.

They, in fact, yelled at the CSA over the phone when we refused to do the tires without suspension work, and the wife gave me a dirty look when she picked it up.

loving hell :( Can't you call the cops for endangering a child like that?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

anonumos posted:

"Relatively" easy to work on, too, though some things are very cramped and oddly placed.

Probably the easiest car I've ever worked on was a Saturn Coupe. Dead simple engine and lots of room in the engine bay.

Nothing touches my first car (Tercel) for ease of maintenance for me personally so far. Similar to the Saturn I guess, super super basic, and loads of room, even more once I took off that intake snorkel (lets not get into my early teen ricer moments)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

nmfree posted:

Honestly, the most :ughh: picture in that thread was the last one with the gunsafe.

Looks safe to me!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

jamal posted:

93 would have done you just as well while costing less and not ruining poo poo. Factory tune is optimized for it. Higher octane does prevent knock and pulled timing in hot/track conditions when things get heat soaked, but it won't give you more power or make a difference driving around town "boosting" or getting on the highway.

I will say that when I went on a road trip and got ethanol free gas for the first time in my Speed3 there was a very noticeable difference in power, smoothness, and efficiency. gently caress the E10 pisswater we are stuck with in PA.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Arrath posted:

Man we've all barked knuckles when the goddamn bolt finally breaks loose, but that really takes the cake.

I was just thinking the same thing, I'm minus a chunk of flesh right now at my first knuckle on my index finger from a similar injury, a really really annoying spot, but yeah no longer gonna complain about it. Ooof.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Darchangel posted:

I do have a scar on the heel of my right palm from building models as a teenager and completely forgetting about my Boy Scout training vis a vis cutting towards oneself. The Xacto knife had a very fresh very sharp blade. It literally did not bleed for several seconds it was so clean of a cut. Pretty much to the bone, of course, but thankfully no damage other than meat.

Yeah, been there.

You know it's gonna be a bad one when it doesn't bleed at first.

Cut towards your buddy not your body!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Large Testicles posted:

rent a loving Versa

So sorry for your lots

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I had a beater Paseo where the right turn signal had to be on to start it. The person I bought it from bought it like that, and claimed the seller said it was done on purpose to act as a kill switch, but it seemed janky as hell and I'm not convinced it wasn't somehow a wiring issue.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Darchangel posted:

C5 Corvette, power-on oversteered into a pole at high speed.

That's a C6

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I absolutely have a 400-400, 400-800, and 800-800 FW cables in my Giant Box of Cables I'll Surely Need Someday

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Raluek posted:

the dual processor dual core "quad" G5 was water cooled. that system was made by delphi, iirc, so that's automotive content right there.

And loved to spring leaks. Fixed so many of those fuckers back in the day.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Do any of these fuckers ever blast into the gas station and have like a huge cum shot

:tipshat:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Altima, yeah.

It's a sixth gen Maxima

But still yes, BAE.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oh hey I've done that to a loaner in Scotland. My brain was wired for green handle=diesel and black handle=petrol in the US, who knew it was the opposite over there? I was also jet lagged to all hell when I did it.

I got probably 1/4 of a tank of petrol in before I noticed. Topped it off with diesel, the poor Astra ran like absolute garbage but I kept diluting with diesel along the way and it slowly improved.

Big apologies to whoever bought that thing after it was retired.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

a bicycle does not fit in the bed of the cybertruck

It also won't fit in the bed of any of the other 4 door pickups with tiny beds running around (most of them)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKV9chXmIYc

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Every video I await the spray foam and without fail every video there’s at least one spray foam example why are people like this

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Classic Philly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010