Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I know that's the letter of law from the county/state side, but since the entire county would be a federal site under the Department of Energy, wouldn't the DOE Police, or FBI pick it up if there was a murder or other crime?

E: poo poo new page, have a picture of "Sierra Sam", the first crash test dummy:

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I find it interesting how many things they did 'wrong' on WWII era aircraft engines. Roller bearings on the crank on an engine that big seems...suboptimal.

IIRC the Germans suffered from a shortage of ball bearings because the US/UK bombed the poo poo out of the factories every chance they got.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Impressive. I have seen worse. The filter in question was just a mushy pile of media between the two plastic ends. :barf:

It had to be scooped out by hand, then the lower plastic plate removed with pliers.

Mileage between oil changes was unknown, vehicle was bought used. Vehicle make/model escapes me at the moment. Some model of Land Rover.

Not my photo, but it looked like this:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It's ok. I didn't want that tire rotation to take less than 10mins anyway. :smith:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

Most people have no loving clue about cars and just go with things like "Honda is reliable!" or, better yet, "Japanese is reliable!" Or they'll say, "I'm buying American" = Big 3, no other thought put into it.

And believe me, when you see automotive companies' purchasing departments squeezing for pennies from every car, it wouldn't surprise you at all. When the choice is between making a car that will last a long time and doesn't benefit the automaker at all in terms of sales numbers or spending a lot more money to make people have to buy a new car less often, which are they going to choose?

It goes in cycles. Manufacturers will work hard on designs, use good materials, work on maintaining QA on a line of vehicles in order to make them successful. Then when the line is a good seller, they get fat and lazy and start cheapening out everywhere. Repeat when their sales get so bad they start caring again.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

fjelltorsk posted:

the engine oil is original...."

:froggonk:

(Original) Content:

That poor Pontiac. :ohdear:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Is there a museum or comprehensive archive of automotive racing cheats? It seems to me all the cool engineering feats are just to circumvent technical rules.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I found this Popular Mechanics article.

But it basically only covers what's been mentioned in this thread. :smith:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Horrible owner failure here:

That's from just rolled into the shop, it's in for a timing belt change. 2003 with 32 miles on it.

So, has it sat on a dealer lot for the last 11 years? Or was there some shenanigans with the odometer?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I wouldn't trust any modern japanese car to do the same. Reliability overall I think has reduced significantly in the past ten years as manufacturers are able to build cars to fit the warranty period more and more closely.

They got fat and lazy. Same thing happens to almost every large company that is successful. First it was American domestics, then the Japanese. I'm expecting the koreans to start having the same problems soon.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Maybe if the South Koreans re-engineer the NK copy of the Chinese copy of the Russian copy of the German design.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm going with ATF, given the dispenser on the ground.

Enough suspense already. Cough up a story, even if it is "I spilled trans fluid and took a cool pic"

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Block heaters are basically a requirement at that latitude. He had one plugged in, but mentions it might have conked out.

The heater will get you to where you don't need to worry too much about the engine oil, but it doesn't do anything for the trans. Or any differentials.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They stopped making them in 2010, so it will be a long time before they disappear.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Is the red stuff on the twisted wires is the spray on wax poo poo used to protect battery terminals? :froggonk:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Managed to get this oil pan bolt shaved and spat out by the flywheel.

It's me. I am the PO.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Anything with a vertically mounted filter. GM trucks, a lot of ford vehicles. Mostly US domestics and a few european designs. Also Subarus.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

More cars are. Newer gm and Toyota motors use them. Can't speak for vehicle manufacturing costs, but the filters themselves are cheaper and easier to recycle.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The drop in filters on Toyotas/Lexi are actually pretty good in my opinion.

At least the vertically mounted ones are. The horizontal mount on some of the Prius models is stupid.

Anyway:

-Cast aluminum cap hard to break or cross thread if you are not a complete idiot. Doesn't become brittle with age.

- Multiple ways of putting torque to it to unscrew. Octagonal on the end, ears with a proper cup, band wrench with a shop rag or strap wrench works too.

-seals with an oring, not threads putting compression on a gasket. Hand tight until it seats and you are set.

-if you are not in a hurry (lol) the plastic bit in the filter kit can be used to drain the housing for less mess.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Enourmo posted:

are you a wizard

Also, I know ford made a special extractor for those, but I recall someone mentioning that it could break, and that ford or someone else made an extractor for that, too. Was that true or just comedic hyperbole?

Major Parts stores will rent you the extractor kit, and sell you the bag of consumeables (special Glue and pins) that you need with it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Friend: But I GOTTA BUY AMURIKAN the money stays here, REAGANOMICS< THE ECONOMY!!11

I have a shitload of fun with people like that by pointing out that toyotas and subarus are made in Indiana, VWs are made in tennessee and the Hyundai my mother drives rolled off the line in Montgomery, Alabama.

EDIT: Pic for the pic gods:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

We have no idea. :gonk:

Took that picture a week ago, IIRC the car was just a minivan with a really bad alignment. No ricing or "stance" poo poo involved.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

IIRC that's a wonderfull of combination of water and oil, that then gets fed back into the air filter via the PCV system?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

For the record, it's fiberglass tape. Duct tape would probably have worked.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That's actually impressive. How were the threads on the pan?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They are if you use them properly. Few people do.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

FYI google image search basically makes it trivial to find details about these incidents based on the picture.

That said, these are basically giant temporary construction projects that have to be done quickly and repeatedly. It's a wonder it doesn't go wrong more often or that more people don't get hurt.

giant temporary construction projects constructed by roadies, half of whom are hungover*

Rigging is serious loving business. I am glad I don't have that much responsibility.

*the other half are still drunk

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

nene posted:

That is ... horrible. Why ... why would you do this.

Same reason Certain People use an impact adapter for oil filters. :negative:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I would be willing to bet the person involved was wearing a fixed shade welding helmet, and "Missed".

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Government is so loving bad at this poo poo. We've got stuff thats basically run into the ground and then WE get poo poo on by the supervisor for "Why is this truck totally unroadworthy!!!! You useless fuckers arent doing the weekly checks raaaargh!"

lol, just lol if you think the private side is any better.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Some mechanical engineer tell me why you cannot just put an insulating spacer around the outer race of the bearing, or between the inner race and motor shaft.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

All of the motors i work with are below 100 horses, or vfd rated or both, so that explains why i dont really run into this problem much. Neat to see that failure mode in the wild though.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I vote that a Horrible Mechanical Success.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

steering, obv. you cut the one from the direction you want to turn.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Paying for a hydraulic system (and not maintaining it and having it torch an entire truck) is still cheaper than paying for pensions and medical bills for the hosed up backs of the guys who would have to ride on the back and toss the bins. By a significant margin.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Literally the first thing they taught me as a dumb tire monkey at a chain shop was "scrape/pry all the old onese off first"

do... people not know this? :stare:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm skeptical you could get a 130A through that pull tab

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

the problem with the aluminum post style is the base has less area, so they are more likely to tip.

nice to see that they fail safer vertically.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

where I worked, our shop had an air powered diaphragm pump, that you hooked up to the bottom, which sucked all the old oil out into the disposal tank. no pressurization nonsense needed.

which is good, because I'm not sure some of the people I worked with could have handled a complex procedure like "close this valve before you pressurize".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

4WD Yoghurt maker.