Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

jamal posted:

...lug nut holes were so small and I had to carefully unthread each lug to not scratch them.

Might not work on the GTR, but my friend uses masking tape on his sockets and drill to prevent this on his viper

To my friends credit, he also used electrical tape... I just misremembered
Vvvvvvvvv

namlosh fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Wouldn’t they work better with grooves in the rotors? More surface area! Lol

The secret big brake doesn’t want you to know!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

How does the butt connector act as a fuse?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Godholio posted:

It's basically just a way-too-high rated fuse for that circuit.

My bad for not being clear... I get that part. It’s just that they are insulated on the outside and it didn’t look like there was a path at all for any electricity to flow between the posts

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

yeah there's car clubs that drive down to galveston on the weekends and they'll all be blasting down the road racing each other, doing dragraces at lights, slowing other traffic down to let the guys ahead race, it's kind of annoying but it's better than biker weekend.

We did it, except for the annoying “slowing other traffic down” part, on our way out to Goliad for the Texas Mile years ago. I was friends with a bunch of lawyers who had really nice cars at the time. I had an old 911SC with no A/C.
Who knew that the Mobber was inside me all along?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

How do you even make something like that happen? Like did he not dump the clutch but instead barely let it go enough to barely make contact?

How is that not staged? The cameraman moves in front of the car while he’s still revving the engine like he knows it’s not going anywhere lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Any time I’m able to mention this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistics_(film)

It’s the longest movie ever made, and tracks the progress of a cheap pedometer from creation to shipping in REAL TIME

51,420 minutes

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, it’s like 35 days...

Shown once in an experimental theater in Denmark(?) Hope that’s the right country

I love the concept... art by GoPro is good art

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Elviscat posted:

I enjoy that infographic implies giving Iran nuclear weapons as part of the operation.

SEMI-nuclear...

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

You’re making vans look more awesome than they are...

Plus I like van chat... would like to get one at some point and convert into a camper/pleasure palace just like in the 70’s with thick shag carpet and a built in bar

e: this thread is more about culture than the mechanics of vans, sadly: VANTASM

namlosh fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 8, 2021

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yassssssss!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Same issue with construction equipment like track hoes and such. I worked digging up pipelines for two summers during college and whenever the track hoe or dozer needed to cross a road, we would lay down big plywood sheets in front of it as it went. Grab the ones it rolled off, move them in front of the tracks, repeat a bunch of times until it was across the road. It was tedious but certainly protected the pavement

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, I took that light to mean the parking brake was on, but I’ve heard of it also being used as a pad wear light or that the fluid was low

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Space Gopher posted:

That circle with the dashed quarter circle arcs to the left and right is the standard warning light for pad wear sensors. It’s separate from the “BRAKE” light.

Omg, I can’t believe I didn’t see that. Or realize what it was… learned something today thx

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Those are great! Thx for posting. Funny enough, I had just got back from a trip with a rented Hyundai Santa Fe with the active cruise and lane following and all that. Nice car to rent for a road trip.

Anyway, it had some new lights on the dash fort the cruise that I didn’t know until trying it, some of which are included on that sheet. The “keep the distance from the car in front of you” indicators were pretty good after realizing what they were saying:
A car representing your car and 1-4 dots representing the distance you’ve set as the preferred following distance. Then another light for the car in front, unlit when no car is seen at all, dimly lit when there’s a car but it’s outside the range to follow, and the car turns solidly lit when the systems actively matching speed with it.

Pretty cool stuff, thx again

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I was backed into on 3 separate occasions when I had my 70’s Fiat 124’s

Have never had that happen in any other car

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

um excuse me posted:

There must be brightness settings on those fuckers. One of y'all might know what I'm talking about but the Kings Mill Auto (I think? It's been 10 years) billboards near Cincinnati on i71 are the brightest motherfuckers I have ever seen. Absolutely the brightest object in your vision when they come over the horizon until you pass them.

Lol, I do know that sign… and it’s been 10 years since I’ve been to Cincinnati

There are a few that are crazy bright. Plus it’s more of an electronic failure, but if you ever see one of those billboards bugged out, it can be quite an experience. Imagine a broken computer monitor cycling between flashing, solid colors, static etc, but that large. We saw one coming home one night and it was truly crazy and distracting. Surprised it didn’t cause a bunch of accidents (that we know of)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Saw someone doing the same thing on the west park tollway in Houston once. Only it was night time and the sparks were fierce…
No cops anywhere around when I passed him.

I can’t imagine what makes a person want to continue to drive like that. No fucks given

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Links broken for me and I kinda wanted to see it from other’s descriptions.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I just figured he got the whole thing just to use the muffler. Success!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lol, agree with the other poster that this whole thing feels so much like an urban legend. Would love some video/pic confirmation that this works. When I have time, gonna go check out snopes

Were they trying to patch that huge tire by just putting many many tire plugs into it? And in the sidewall no less lol. I guess they did it…

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Strange things are amiss at the Circle K

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Dang… where/when did that happen?

Is the driver ok?

That’s a 60’s stingray vette right? At least the body made to look like it? Car probably didn’t have seat belts brand new… or at least only lap belts

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

NitroSpazzz posted:

on the tail of the dragon going for a group clean up day.

Can someone help me out here with what this means?

Is this what getting old is?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

"The Tail of the Dragon" is a stretch of road (US 129) along the Tennessee-North Carolina border.

He's going to help clean up trash along it to keep it scenic.

Thanks so much

Way more wholesome than what I came up with

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

Heard y’all love two piece wheels, so how about five piece wheels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwn6ldYGbnw

That guys’ channel is great. He blows up old useless diesel engines sometimes and wrecks buses.

I unsubscribed because he’s kind of chud adjacent in his videos with respect to government emissions controls and such and it got annoying. But I’ll still watch the odd video because it’s such unique content.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Today I learned that I am reflective

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I’ve also heard that X5’s chew through tires… like more than normal BMWs do

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

…last year doing a road side engine swap…

I did not think I would read these words together ever

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Always keep a roll of TP in the glove compartment. And I’ve done some work on cars in strange places, but engine swap on the side of the road is next level

My hats off to you, you crazy bastard

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

GoJo to the bathroom

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is a success imo not a fail but some might not see it:

He’s got no shoes on… is he dead?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

agree, they’re not getting worse at engineering… they’re getting so good they can call their shots

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Zero One posted:

Yes

(Assuming you can find one)

Probably not the thread for it, but the new maverick is supposed to be good?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

ili posted:

I ran my two stroke without an exhaust after rebuilding it and burned the valves so thoroughly there was no trace of them left anywhere.

:perfect:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lol, FUBAR

big time

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

We literally had a similar issue last week.

Driving a rental car and some huge pieces of metal screen about the size of a table was hit by the truck in front and immediately came into our right front. No one hurt, car was drivable but lots of torn plastic/molding.

As soon as it was safe, we got off the road and spoke with our insurance peeps. They told us that there is a distinction between us hitting the object, vs the object hitting the car and that we should pick our words out carefully when we fill out a report at rental place.

Thankfully us saying the object was moving and hit us is the right answer. Otherwise if you say you hit something on the road, it’ll count as a “collision” which is worse for us.
We are waiting to see if any next steps are needed, but thankfully it seems to be cut and dry. We pay for a special rider for rental coverage to our insurer so we always deny the extra coverage. I think that’s going to help us here as well. We rent cars for all road trips and stuff so it was worth it to us, at least I think lol. God I hate insurance

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Is that a 2X4 of wood in between the frame and tank support?

I know nothing about trucks like that so is that normal or something? Seems crazy but I suppose it could absorb shock or something idk

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

wolrah posted:

The wood is pretty common, here's a commercial truck industry association mentioning it as a normal way to mount upfit hardware:
https://www.ntea.com/NTEA/NTEA/Member_benefits/Technical_resources/TechConnections/ResourcesforBodyMountingProcedures1.aspx

I wouldn't assume this one was done right of course, there's a specific way it's supposed to be tapered and the body is to be mounted to go with it, but it's not inherently suspicious on its own.

Oh wow, your spot on! From the link you gave:

quote:

U-Bolt/Threaded Rod and End Plate — Secures the body’s longitudinal mounting rail to the chassis frame. A filler of wood, rubber or plastic is recommended between the longitudinal mounting rails and the chassis frame.

I learned stuff today, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I always thought ATF smelled the absolute worst.