Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fFh31Ejmk

Crappy music, but you can see the entire piston and rod sail out the side of the engine.
That fiat split open like an egg, jesus.

Edit: Thanks. :)

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

An engine block can twist when overheated. Combine that with torque and you can easily bend an engine block.
Source?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

hobbesmaster posted:

You just have to keep stress/strain in the plastic region. A ME could elaborate on how hilariously improbable that is, but there you go.

I know. I was asking for some empirical evidence since outside of very minor warpage, a block is going to splinter and shard before the whole block goes pretzel.

Get just throw some duct tape on this whole conversation and continue on our merry way.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 1, 2009

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a joke about how many pickup truck owners will just throw another 500lb of crap in the bed of their truck that's already got 2000lb in it and is barely rated for that.

Some people just flat out ignore any ratings what so ever. There is a Prius floating around where I live that was towing a beat up camary down the highway at a painfully slow speed.

There is a video of some mudding hole were a jeep got stuck and they called the site's tow truck to help pull it out. 90's era F150 tow truck ended up bending in half.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQTd_xXpDQ0
You can hear that front end snap like toothpicks.

There is a video of a f150 tow truck trying to pull some jeep out of the mud and it ends up bending in half from the strain. I can't seem to find that one.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

scapulataf posted:

Imagine, a whole society of refugees living at the bottom of the sea in their shipping containers.

Biocrate.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Looks like the flywheel has left the building. I think it was that silver disc bouncing down the track at 100mph after the explosion.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

D C posted:

My thought was an exploded transmission sending the motor flying breaking the mounts.

When they first get an up close shot of the aftermath you can see the bellhousing has been shattered and the entire flywheel/clutch assembly is missing. The radiator support is bent away from that area of the car from an outward explosion.

High RPM + lovely bolts/unbalanced assembly is what I'm thinking. That kind of force could gut everything in its path. I think there was a video a couple pages back of a small block on an engine dyno that sent its flywheel through a few walls/metal cabinets when it failed.

Edit:
All I can find is this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2pz1PkhAo8

"I'm FREE!"

and this;

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80533

Makes me nervous about putting on my new chromoly flywheel in my mr2.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 27, 2010

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
I've never seen a piston completely vaporize like that.

That poor 283, good little motors.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vBWtq_uacs

That would scare the ever loving poo poo out of me.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Whitey Ford posted:

Is that some cheapass chinese "lightened" flywheel or something?

The teeth from an aluminum flywheel can separate and cause just this since they are just heated then pressed on. Chromoly flywheels are safe imo; hard to screw up a steel flywheel.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Clutch failure; The friction materials teleported out of the disk.

I've heard about the USS Thresher sinking back when I was in school, but I've never heard the actual radio logs. Google is not bringing up anything.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
That tierod held on for dear life.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

peepsalot posted:

I'm trying to figure out what causes the flash of light on the face of the water heater from the view of it popping at 2:10.

The electrical connections shorting out since its rocketing off at that point.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Landerig posted:

:negative:

That poor engine. I'm surprised she didn't suspect something up when her engine started sounding that bad. Maybe she thought it was just being broken in.

My folks have two cars, a 99 lumina fleet that hasn't had an oil change in 20,000 miles because "I don't have the time" aswell as front brakes that have completely failed leaving the rear drums to reel in the car when its clanking its way down the highway at 60mph. The other is a 97 Sable Station wagon I gave them that has been ignored to the point now that its spun a bearing(s) but is still being driven.

The truth is that most people out there don't care at all and act extremely upset that they have to pay for upkeep/repair on a complicated piece of machinery. And when the extremely neglected machine fails, they scream and cry about everything being unfair.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

The Scientist posted:

It sounds like he was able to run all of his errands, I'm not sure I'm seeing your point here.

People are too cheap/inconsiderate for a tow, thats what I got from it.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Motronic posted:

Whoops.

Houston, just saw that one the news. How did the signage support that sort of impact and not turn into a pretzel?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

revmoo posted:

I'd take it to Napa and ask them to machine it just to get their reaction.

Drop some weld on it and mill it back smooth.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
At least the freeze plugs are still good.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I knew there was a reason I took to 2 wheels so easily.

But don't worry he cleaned the block out super well......

Reminds me of a acquaintance I know in the MR2 forum, he spent 2K on a fresh new machined 4AGE, then left it dangling on a cherry picker with no cover or sparkplugs outside for a month. A tarp at the very least would have been better.

Of course that above is miles worse.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

AND HE'S A loving ENGINEERING STUDENT!?!?!?
What? No, never said that.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Yey! I finally get to post one of my own.

I'm replacing the head gasket in a 500 dollar MR2 I purchased as a second car. Aside from the ripped out torque mount and the incredible assortment of wrong bolts and wood screws that held it all together I found this. I wanted to see why it had zero gear oil when I pulled it.

Hello differential, you getting some air?

I think he tried to JB weld it with paper or something.

Edit:

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 9, 2012

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Root Bear posted:

:stare:

Found with this article. That's one lucky kid. At least until his dad finds out :argh:
Clears it up a bit since I thought it was a teenager crashing his dad's rally car.

He is a NASCAR driver and overcooked a right turn. :ohdear:

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
So how peppered with holes was the starter?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

some texas redneck posted:

I dunno, his Redneck Rollercoaster looks like a fuckload of fun.

But I'm also about twice the age of his preferred age bracket. v:v:v

Last I heard the province made him get rid of most of the fun poo poo, but I haven't tried to keep up with his antics since he got booted from YouTube.

He is still on YouTube under a new account but I can't bring myself to watch him anymore due to his past.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How does that even happen? Seriously hosed tranny cooler?

I imagine the transmission discovered it has wonderful new straw and a sweet tooth.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
The oil filler cap held strong.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Sockington posted:

To be fair, it's not like there's an engine up there to absorb some of that impact.

I've seen lots of mucked up AW11 MR2s, and they generally stand up pretty well (I hope for my sake :ohdear:).

They are pretty stout for their age and size. I feel safer in it than my third gen camaro.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

atomicthumbs posted:

Install explosive reactive armor for extra fun factor.

We've protected your ankles by vaporizing the offending projectiles and the vehicle they came form.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
A horrible mechanical failure waiting to happen;
http://imgur.com/a/lgdfm

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

TotalLossBrain posted:

It is unfortunately fairly "common-place" for radiography sources to do this kind of damage.

These have been put out in favor of linear accelerators in the medical field, only a few labs still carry cobalt 40 systems for non-medical purposes. I thankfully normally deal with sub 150Kv medical imaging systems, but we do have a 1.5Mkv linear accelerator that you can gain access to via a 2 foot thick steel/lead lined vault door.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

CommieGIR posted:

...and then put force behind it.

So it will snap off and impale the palm of you hand. It all makes sense now!

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

kastein posted:

Just realized I forgot to put this here.

All I wanted was the shaft that runs through this stack of gears and other bits, so I just knocked it all off into the junk parts pile and went on with my life.

Is the AX5 based off the T5? Because that pretty much how the T5 fails 90% of the time and that assembly looks exactly like a T5 main assembly.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Kill-9 posted:

$40? Where? Fits through a hole the size of a sparkplug? I require something like this. For, um, science. Yeah. Science.

I bought this http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html and it would not fit through the sparkplug hole.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Apparently someone on Reddit took pictures of something Sock touched; http://imgur.com/a/sPeQJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

More of a horrible craftsmanship failure, but

Expanding foam painted silver!