Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Aircooled Beetles kept the tank right at your feet for their entire production run. For a long time the mechanical fuel gauge was driven by a two cable, straight from the tank to the dash.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I think the oil passages in the dildo are only for oiling the pushrod. I always packed the base of my fuel pump with grease. Those brass fittings pressed into you pump and carb are another quiet, insideous mechanical failure waiting to happen.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

thelightguy posted:

Quality restoration there.

Isn't that a Super Beetle windshield? Someone replaced a lot of parts trying to make it look like a slightly older model. And without checking their fuel lines.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Missing the floor from the battery to under the front passenger seat. That's bad even for a Beetle.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Slavvy posted:

Freedom hinges.

In Glorious Nippon they make hinges so good they don't even need bushings. Well, they don't need bushings for the first 15 years. Then you're stuck with door hinges that sound like death and no easy way to fix them.

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 13, 2015

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Hopefully the air flow from the propped up hood blows any rain off the windshield.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

veedubfreak posted:

In olden times you could get this neat little guy that replaced the hubcap on your spare tire.

Also, it was super fun trying to find correct ball seat lug bolts for my Porsche alloy knockoffs. Everything is cone now, so finding ball seat in the correct size is a bitch.

That biggest wrench would be 36mm, the size of the rear axle, flywheel, and cooling fan nuts. But you really need a socket for the latter two and good luck budging the first, especially with the ornamental Chinesium those are made with now.

Aircooled VW carbs have a brass inlet pressed into the aluminum body. This can lead to the most fiery of failures.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
That Blazecut video is pretty incredible. To be fair to that engine family I think that carb issue usually comes only after a couple decades of use. Fuel filter placement is a big can of worms, including the claim that a filter just before the carb adds weight that leads to that failure. A threaded fitting or safety wire is the fix. I would worry about wire rubbing into the carb body.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

xzzy posted:

Not much in the way of assists on a 64 bug. :v:

No locking steering column either. My first car was a neglected Beetle that broke down often. I could coast amazingly far down a highway or off the road and into a parking spot. The few times my current car has gone dead it's been startling how hard it is to control or push.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I love that an image search for Robie is mostly a Frank Lloyd Wright house with a smiling yellow robot sprinkled in.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Hopefully the puns will die out without getting into another thread. Nobody wants cross-threading.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:ssh: Pull the inside door handle while locking the interior lock.

Hondas have done that for ages, and the manual documents the "hold the interior door handle while locking the door" trick. But nobody ever figures it out. Nobody. It works for both power and manual locks.

I quickly learned to do that with one hand and in one thoughtless motion. Now that it's an ingrained habit I've lost the benefit of the idiot lock.

The power locks in my Accord didn't work for the first 5+ years I owned the car. I didn't much care because it's a two-door but it turned out the problem was just a solder joint that needed to be reflowed. It might be a failure that the board that controls the power locks is inside the driver door where it takes an impact every time that door is closed.

Edit: And I locked my keys in the car within 5 minutes of fixing the power locks. The power locks do things like lock the passenger door when the driver door is locked. It takes time to get used to.

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 24, 2016

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
If you do a google image search for dry solder joint some of the very first images are of the main / fuel pump relay for the same car. Now I know it's a common problem but it was tough figuring out a problem that varied with outside temperature and how long the car had been running or shut down.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Without putting much thought into it I was glad to see simple radio masts had made a comeback. That's because I was thinking back to retractable antennas that broke easily and sometimes leaked water over their electronics and into the trunk. Forgetting that better technology has been available for decades and thinking that an antenna is just part of the look of a car, it's easy to ignore.

InitialDave posted:

Cheap Ebay :china: mini amps sound like what you need, perhaps coupled to a cheap Ebay :china: bluetooth dongle.

If you want it to be a single DIN fitting, I think most manufacturers have made cheap no-optical-drive headunits in the recent past, if not at present.

Jalopnik did an article about just that years ago. I had a friend do this after having her radio torn out a while back. All she wants to do is stream from her phone so it's great. Some of those mini amps even come with USB charging ports now.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Sagebrush posted:

well it still turns don't it

It turns AND holds air. Don't try to rip me off.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

ExplodingSims posted:

And what happens when you throw a motor off a roof? Concrete wins:

"Hi, I need to return this for my core charge."

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I think the windshield washer system had a pressure regulator that was supposed to keep the pressure reaching the sprayers consistent and would stop leaching off the spare tire after it reached a minimum pressure. The Beetles made in the 80s and 90s for Mexico and Brazil eventually got an electric pump.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
When Beetles got fuel gauges they had an R instead of an E. I'm not sure if that's a nod to the reserve lever of just a German thing. Until 1968 it was a mechanical sender, causing the gauge to move with hills and acceleration. But because of how disturbingly close the dashboard was to the fuel tank the cable was only a couple feet long.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
lovely tire shops that don't do alignments are happy to keep their wording vague and let you think everything is good to go.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

wolrah posted:

Never done brake line work so I haven't had a chance to make that mistake yet, but I've definitely spliced quite a few wires without slipping the heat shrink on. Or crimped connectors on to a cable without a boot.

It especially sucks when you're splicing a bunch of cables, do a great job on the splices themselves, then realize your choices are to take it apart and start over or get out the electrical tape.

Brake lines are the same way. The best flaring job you'll do is one you'll have to cut off to put a nut on.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had a family of enterprising people next to me who pulled rad supports straight with a very young decorative tree in their front lawn and that technique on the reg, until the tree uprooted and they backed into traffic.

I did this earlier this year using a roll off dumpster behind my office.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

98-02 Accord EX, or 98-02 Accord EX-L?

What would the L denote?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

berth ell pup posted:

It's a coupe but he put a sedan bumper cover on it! I will not stand for this unholy merger!

Guilty, and I am remorseful for my sin. The coupe bumper is cool and I like that there are real styling differences between the coupe and sedan. However that bumper cover was $7.50 at the awesome local junkyard's monthly half-price day. The hood was $30 at Pick 'n Pull during a half-price holiday weekend. I spent about $100 on the front including resonator and filter boxes.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

On the 6th gen, leather.

That damage is pretty similar to what I did to my 01 Accord, except the intake resonator got crushed. Went right past the drat bumper beam :argh:

Same here, the resonator was held up by zip ties; it and the filter box were both busted. A lot of the dumpster work was pulling open the hole they connect through. The last inch of the bumper beam that extends past its mount was flattened by whatever the previous owner slid into. Interestingly, there's a dampener hanging from that beam in 4-cylinders but not in the V6.

The failures were in the previous owner's stereo installation. The amp was grinding into the frame behind the backseat. Instead of getting its signal from the matching head unit the amp was connected to this gizmo that was poorly spliced into the rear speaker wires. The gizmo and amp were connected by a ten foot RCA cable, about eight feet of which were crammed behind the trunk liner. I rotated the amp 90° and reran that same cable under the carpet along the tunnel.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I wish I had more pictures of the stereo wiring because there sure was a lot of fuckery. The blue wire from the amp didn't go to its matching wire at the head unit, it went to the fuse box where it was soldered to the side of a fuse. The grounds were crimped into a ring terminal that they drove a sheet metal screw through, into the frame behind the back seat. And then added a couple more screws at the sides to be sure. That was easily relocated, with the same ring terminal, to a bolt a few inches away. The adjustable line output converter has four speaker wires but they twisted the negative and positive pairs together and only connected it to one speaker. They made these connections by stripping a small section of one wire, untwisting it so the strands opened up, and passing the stripped end of the other wire through.

But it was an $800 car that's easy to find parts for.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I never noticed the difference between the coupe and sedan bumpers on the 6th gen.. I thought they were the same from the dash forward. :downs:

Not all coupes got them but mine did have the bumper with a pair of fake intake grills. I had to make another trip to the junkyard after discovering that the support bracket and foam block have to match the bumper. Even the front fenders are different but so slightly I didn't figure it out until I was trying to bolt on the sedan fender I had bought.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Buying a $1 gallon of distilled water isn't too much more effort than filling a pitcher or pulling a hose around. Once you convince yourself to make the switch it's easy.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

xzzy posted:

Y'all should pick up a copy of John Muir's VW book then.

Though I guess it doesn't have much in the way of anthromorphic beetles, but it's sort of in the ballpark.

The Rabbit and Honda books in that series are pretty much forgotten but Peter Aschwanden's work was always amazing.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I would subscribe to the Detective Shitcar youtube channel.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
It takes a while to sink in.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Is it typical of those 787s for the front to fall down?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
My unsupported synthetic oil anecdote is that service life is the significant difference and that's wasted or detrimental to certain engines. A small engine that gets serviced every season, an unfiltered engine, or an infrequently driven vehicle should all have their oil changed long before conventional or synthetic matters.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
The Soviets didn't expose the moon hoax in exchange for us not releasing tapes of the lost cosmonauts. :tinfoil:

The Door Frame posted:

Speaking of brain failures, we're on page 914, my favorite Porsche

I briefly fell in love with a 914 for sale near me. I eventually realized I could only afford it because it had all the usual problems, even fire damage. Who could've known plastic fuel lines would be a mechanical failure? I still think they're cool cars.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Yeah, it's a confusing picture of the tunnel section of a Porsche 914. It's like it's being shown off in the hallway of a hotel convention center. I thought it would be easier to find pics but I guess most of them had the lines replaced or the car burnt to the ground before decent digital photos were common.

If the battery tray doesn't look great, run the gently caress away, rust below spreads to load bearing areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
My dumbass friend recently bought an Aztek with a mostly-shredded serpentine belt. He wan't worried about it because they included a new one. I replaced the the belt and almost immediately it had slipped off the crank pulley and was rubbing against the case. I had never seen a pulley fail and I didn't know what this engine was supposed to look like so it was confusing as hell. Fortunately the 3400 SFI is really common so I found the answer with enough googleing. Unfortunately it's still an Aztek.