Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A robie would never vomit up his meals. He only opens his flap and poops the coins out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy poo poo, 280c?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wouldn't it be super cool if oil was neon green though?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The future is now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tomarse posted:

Saw this earlier on faceballs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AGNa8-4ss

(Yes it would look cool)

That video is on this page.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

literally a fish posted:

Pretty much every production car with a turbo for the last few decades has had a water-cooled turbo as if they arrange the cooling system correctly then water will siphon through the turbos even with the water pump off thanks to convection, cooling the turbos down even after you shut the car off, thereby negating the need for a turbo timer.

You can also just not beat on the car for the last couple miles but where's the fun in that

Some cars just keep running the water pump for a few minutes after shutting off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

literally a fish posted:

It is the fault of the EPA and overly litigious americans as in literally every other market on the planet they've just modified the charging software to keep the battery at a higher state of charge and thus lopped 1-2mpg off the fuel economy rating.

They can't do this in the US as the EPA and customers would sue them into oblivion over that 1-2mpg drop.

Would anyone even know? Who actually gets the listed gas mileage? BMW could have just quietly coded it out and then when people complain they are getting 1 less mpg, just say "you're probably not driving as efficiently as you think you are." Unless you drive your car downhill in a vacuum like they do for the fuel rating tests, you're never going to get what they claim.

jamal posted:

Cooling the turbo during while driving isn't really an issue, it's when you stop and turn off the car. The BMW in question is keeping the water pump and fans running when you stop the car and the coolant temp is too high for it to just sit. Every turbo car now will either do that or have a way to keep coolant circulating after you turn off the car.

All the Japanese turbo cars I've ever worked on manage to do it without running a water pump after the car shuts off. I suppose to stop from killing batteries BMW could just have the cars keep idling after they turn off? Even though it's consuming fuel would it technically count against economy ratings?

HOW COME WHEN I TURN CAR OFF IT KEEPS RUNNING THIS PIECE OF poo poo IS TOTAL GARBAGE DON'T BUY A loving FORD THEY DON'T EVEN loving TURN OFF GOD drat SHITBOXES

Also, there's the issue of if someone parks in a garage. They turn their car off, close the garage door and the car is still pumping carbon monoxide into the garage and possible also into the house.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The doors sealed fine as far as I remember. The problem was that the bulkheads didn't go all the way to the top of the ship and maybe they didn't close the doors fast enough. Once enough water got in to start pulling the front of the ship down, the water line went above the bulkheads and started pouring into the other sections.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think you mean "at least 50% of you won't be bashed to death by a crewman with an oar because you were trying to climb onto a full lifeboat."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Why not just attach huge helium balloons to the ship to keep it from sinking? In fact, design the ship so that it can fly through the air! An air-ship!

Yeah but then some broad gets on with a staticy sweater and it's all "oooh the humanity!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it fits in the bed, it should be able to hold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

How soon does stuff like this start? I saw a Ford Focus that was probably a 2010-11 model on the interstate last week & the rear passenger wheel was almost this bad. One of those "gonna back off like half a mile & move over a couple lanes" paranoia situations when I saw it.

It's probably hard to tell because anyone who would let it get that bad would just say "It was fine yesterday." A co-worker's car sounded like a C-130 while we were going to lunch. He said "You guys can hear that? I wonder what it is." Someone else chimed in with "that's your wheel bearing screaming until it dies, get it fixed dude." Though this is guy who, when someone had stuck gum to his window, thought he could get rid of it by just rolling the window down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Having flashbacks to Chinese car crash tests, and cannot wait to see their home made jet engine.

If Chinese planes were used on 9/11, the planes would have just disintegrated with no visible damage to the buildings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Chinese manufacturing is as good as anything or even better than anything the rest of the world offers. The real question is if you pay for quality - the Chinese will give you exactly what you want. You pay for crap, they will send you crap. You want quality? The exact same line will give it to you in exactly the specs you require, pay up for it tho.

Have a careful look at what you consider a quality product and you will almost certainly be surprised to find it's made in China

You also have to constantly watch the output to make sure they aren't trying to cheat you. The internet is awash with stories of people getting quality prototypes back from China. Then they go to production and find out several components were replaced with inferior and cheaper bits so the factory could save money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Those inspection windows should help you diagnose what went wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was posted to reddit. Someone claimed they buy these cars at a junkyard, fix them up for a show and then junk them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The main area affected by global warming doesn't believe in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm guessing the oil was getting through the hole in the piston.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

There are also places where it’s kind of accurate, in that water can travel up river valleys to flood low‐lying areas well inland, but as a practical matter, the cost/benefit of putting barriers at a few openings is immense, so they’re not in nearly as much trouble as coastal areas, where 1 km of sea wall only saves 1 km of waterfront property.

For example, we’re probably not going to let the Rio Grande flood half of Texas.

I don't think the Rio Grande is the problem.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There was some show truck in the 80s that had a poo poo ton of shocks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was my thought on getting summer tires. There are maybe 3-4 days in the year where my summer tires won't be at optimal temperature but the rest of the year is great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you aren't properly torquing all the screws in your IKEA furniture to spec, you can just get out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Raluek posted:

"A pint's a pound the world 'round" innit? Plus, a pint is 16 fl oz, and isnt a fl oz of water 1oz weight? And there's definitely 8pt in a gallon. So where's the extra change come from?

https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-a-gallon-of-fresh-water-weigh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do they not attach wheels in Russia?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Look one post up bruh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't you have to take the entire F355 apart in order to do anything to it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Turbos I can understand, throttle response etc.
But DI?

My next thought is you saying disc brakes ruined driving.

The one after that is "man i miss choke handles"

The Germans screwed up direct injection. From the mid 2000s on, you have to blast all the carbon off the back of the intake valves because they didn't put in a fuel sprayer back there to clean them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you live in a big enough city you can usually find someone around town who will clean out the carbon build up for a few hundred dollars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The normal cleaning method is walnut blasting so I'm sure seafoam will work perfectly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least that's not as bad as an issue with the engine of I think the M5. There are ports that run through the entire engine for some sort of emissions thing that eventually fill up with carbon and get clogged. This does't really affect performance but it does pop up a code in the ECU. The only way to clear the code is to take the engine apart and run a pipe cleaner through all the ports to clear them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can see the reason for it. They wanted those kickin rad tail lights that go almost all the way to the middle. that would require a smaller trunk opening if the lights weren't part of the trunk lid. So now they get a bigger trunk opening and their lights.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I go through a gallon of milk pretty quickly. Sucks for you nerds who can't drink it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure I've used an 11mm socket on my BMW.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
9/33" :smugdog:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I thought Princess Auto was a joke name that guy on youtube used.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Godholio posted:

Why the gently caress is that a Japanese superstition?

Japan likes to take western concepts and say "Yes, we do that too now."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I doubt any court in the land would grant someone exclusive use of the word "eco."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm pretty sure it was in this very thread that someone posted a link to a Russian body shop that like specialized in clip jobs, had pictures of tons of cars that they stapled back together. Granted that is Russia where anything goes so I suppose it might not happen in the US, or at least if it does happen here the car is probably sold to some 3rd world country.

This is something awful. If you say absolutely anything at all, someone will argue that you are wrong forever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Nononononononono

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A friction jack seems perfectly reasonable in a world where the gas tank goes directly under the driver and navigator.