Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

comedyblissoption posted:

cons:

probably overpriced

Pretty much. You can get a 3395 sensored mouse for 40 or less dollars right now. I have a M600 sitting here I use for desktop use thats basically a GPX clone and its a 1k polling 50 gram wireless device that feels as good as my unmodded logitech mice. Logitech just wins on support. have a problem, new mouse shipped. But is it worth that much more money? Eh. If I'm spending 100+ on a mouse these days its gonna be some bougie magnesium thing. Not a brand name logitech thing.

https://amzn.to/3RkcKTf

its 35 dollars with coupon right now. It comes with glass skates, and grips. Pretty wild what you get for 35 bucks.

cons:
low weight is overhyped
absolute bare minimum of buttons which complicates profile or dpi switching

This is where I realized you didn't need or want an ultra light. You are not mix/maxing fps games and thats legit the only time you're going to want to be low weight with as minimal buttons as possible.

2 thumb buttons is basically ultra light standard. More buttons = more grams = more weight.

So thats why theres less buttons. Straight up how they are designed. Its an ultralight class device remember.

Then theres the overhyped part. If you were min/maxing fps games you'd notice gains moving from a normal 100g or over mouse to something sub 60-50. The very first day on my cheap ultra light I could watch recorded footage from the day before, and the day I got it, and you can straight up see how much more in control I was with mouse movements. I have a desk cam setup with my gameplay recording. I'm a sweat, Shut up. I went from a G703 which was like 100g or so, to 53 i think on the scale. HUGE difference. Less fatigue, easier to control, glides more freely. Combine this with a proper mousing surface? Yeah its gonna give you massive gains in a lot of ways when it comes to tracking and flick control.

To be clear, I was the guy who ran the weights in his mice back in the day as a competitive quake/cs player. I wish I'd of picked up the light mouse bug back then tbh because the gains I personally saw were silly.

Now moving to something bougie? Eh depends. Polling rates have diminishing returns depending on your hardware/framerate/refresh rate.

Sorry to ramble. Been lurkin this thread a while and there just isn't enough chit chat about ultra lights and why they exist. Plus theres some cool poo poo out there. I'm using a stormbreaker from pwnage right now and while the unit i have has had quality control issues like woah. Still love the dumb thing and pwnage is sending me a replacement in the new color so thats rad. Wouldn't really recommend a mouse like that though for a daily driver. I basically use it for fps gaming only. My M600/G703s gets used for desktop stuff.

Combine any decent ultralight mouse with a quality pad and you'll have a good time with FPS stuff. I run an xray aqua control + and its :kiss:

ok said sorry for rambling then rambled more. :v:

Also hi thread.

For reference I'm a low sensitivity player. 50cm or so 360

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

Hard to get used to the complete absence of acceleration. Makes it hard to turn around in FPS. It was easier to aim for headshots with it though. Guessing that's from the much higher DPI compared to my old MS Sculpt Mobile Mouse.

Get used to not using it. Mouse accel is trash and imo you shouldn't be using it in FPS games anyways. And no, your aim isn't better because the DPI is higher. I run 800 dpi on a mouse that has a 3395 in it. Thats because my 360 is nearly 50cm. You're doing better because you're more in control with the weight loss and the sensor itself is just "better".

PirateBob posted:

What mouse should I try next? It needs to be small and suited for fingertip/claw grip. High DPI. Slightly soft/rubbery sides so that you get a good grip. Don't care about extra buttons.

You should look at https://www.eloshapes.com/index.html or something and find something similar to a shape you like and go from there.

If you don't like the feel of the logitech ultralight though. Theres a good chance that until you splash down for a 150+ bougie mouse, you're going to be unhappy with "cheap plastic feels" though. The GPX isn't what I'd call a "lovely plastic feeling mouse" and if you're that upset with how it feels I'm not even sure what you'd enjoy in the ultralight space. I mean yeah sure magnesium mice feel way more solid but we're talking 150+ here for a mouse that may have potential quality control issues and lovely customer service.

With that said theres heaps of good 3395 devices.

https://amzn.to/3SPkzRX

Recommended by lots of people. 35 bucks atm.

https://amzn.to/40SiBSx

Similar to the M600 I linked. I think it even can use the same software, Just comes in cute colors.

https://amzn.to/3ukZDYE

This has a few variants. Also gets recommends in a lot of places.

Return the logtiech and play with cheap clones. Find a shape you like then start searching for your end game but get ready to drop 100+ again.

PirateBob posted:

I was a bit too quick to drag the Pro X Superlight in the mud.

I hadn't used G Hub yet. It ran at 800 dpi by default. It's more satisfying at its highest DPI. :v:

800 is where us kings live. :smug:

FR tho. Glad you're seeing the light a bit. I'd still recommend checking out other clones tho if you aint a huge fan of that shape. I'm personally an ergo guy and ended up with the stormbreaker (170-180$) because it was the only magnesium ergo ultralight that exists. Quality control was a nightmare since I got a launch unit but they did ship me a new one that I'm waiting on that should have all the fixes. But this is like a huge "HEY HEADS UP" with those kinds of mice. You ARE going to DIY some poo poo. Customer service IS GOING TO BE TRASH. In fact, be ready to call the credit card company and reverse charges with some of these shithead companies. With that said Pwnage has been "fine" just really really really slow.

Kibner posted:

If you want just a general desktop mouse (NOT GAMING!) that is small and is pushed around by finger tips, https://www.dxtmouse.com/ has some great vertical mice. I have the older DXT Mouse 2 that I use for work and general desktop use and love it. Definitely has relieved some pains compared to using a more traditional mouse. The one I have goes up to 2000 dpi and is ambidextrous (there is a button to press to switch it from left-to-right orientation).

It is a bit heavy and you can knock it over on accident sometimes. Also, recentering it on the mousepad takes more time than a traditional mouse (you tilt and lift as opposed to just lift). Even with those negatives, I still enjoy it. You move it primarily with fingertips for small movements and your whole arm for larger movements.

---

@EbolaIvory I appreciate your post! Thanks for that info.

Welcome. Happy to info dump as much as I can. I was like most of ya'll not long ago just using whatever logitech, or whatever gaming company made at the time that I fell for whatever marketing poo poo they were pitching. Then I started min/maxing and realized that theres a whole crazy rear end world of ultra lights out there (mice in general tbh) and once I broke away from all the big named corpy stuff, I was a lot happier.

Shaocaholica posted:

So I never use a wireless mouse but I just got one for shits. SteelSeries Rival 3. Nothing special. Anyway using it has been kind of annoying because of wake up lag. Is this par of the course for all wireless mice? Do the higher end ones do better? I understand for gaming this isn't an issue but I'm not gaming I'm doing rando productivity work with multiple computers at the same desk so I'm often letting the mouse go to sleep when I go back and forth between my machines.

The 35 or so dollar ones I linked have battery lives that are insane. The M600 is my "desktop" mouse right now and I haven't plugged it in for a month+ at this point. Softwares reporting 60% still. It also works wired so worst case you plug it in and use it wired for a little bit. And considering you're going to have a dongle + cable they give you, you can have that poo poo on your desk ready anyways.

You probably wont have battery issues tho.

They also wake up instantly anymore. No lag. No worries.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Appoda posted:

Well I'm coming from the opposite end of the spectrum with a heavy-rear end swiftpoint z (lol). It's not totally worn out yet but its on its way, any recs for mice with lots of ergonomically placed buttons that fit to small hands? Doesn't have to be as wild as the swift point.

Other than the naga line corsairs SCIMITAR line, I have no idea who makes multi button mice these days. I gave up on more than 2 buttons years ago because it seemed like nobody made poo poo and I was over it with nagas and I just don't like corsair mice. :(

EDIT: I guess the G502 falls into that category. Theres a handful of buttons. and they have a star wars one available atm. I mean oof @ 160 bucks for a logitech mouse, but eh, its a thing!
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice/g502-x-plus-millennium-falcon-wireless-mouse.910-007143.html

Now to be fair you can get a 502 cheaper. Just, thats the plus x goku 666 weedlord special edition.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 23, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

What's the deal with skates? What do you change by adding custom ones?

Some are faster or slower than others.
Some react differently to different mats.

PirateBob posted:

Yeah, I took a look at the eloshapes site EbolaIvory posted. Neither that site nor rtings.com have the glorious MS Sculpt Mobile Mouse though.

https://shop.g-wolves.com/products/g-wolves-hsk-pro-4k-wireless-mouse

Fingertip mice exist. Obviously don't buy that insanely overpriced thing but I'm sure theres a clone!

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 23, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

How would you go about finding a clone? I searched for fingertip mouse and only that g-wolves thing came up on the aggregator (though this is for the market in my small country). $180 and 1 year warranty, lol.

Jump onto Aliexpress and all those sites, look up small form factor mice, then make sure they have a good sensor. 3395 is the standard. I don't see any exact clones myself of those mice but fingertip mice are just mice that can be used fingertip so basically any low profile ultralight fits that bill.

You can use RJNs website to figure out mice that fit your hand then use ELO shapes to compare cheap versions from amazon/ali.

https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/mouse-search

PirateBob posted:

And, knowing I'm spamming the thread a bit, btw, what mousepad material and size do you guys use? I have a new Deltaco kb-200 atm, and I'll be buying new ones more regularly after seeing how much extra drag there was on the old one. It's only 230mm wide though. Makes low sens gaming a bit restricted.

I have this in one of the big gently caress off sizes with a custom print.
https://shop.x-raypad.com/shop/custom-aqua-control-gaming-mouse-pads/

its a nice mat. Nice company. Great customer service. Shipping is loving wild but honestly 50ish shipped for this nice of a mat is whatever.

PirateBob posted:

Btw, for all of Logitech's claims on the box of "0 accel, 0 smoothing, 0 bla bla bla", the Pro X Superlight is heavily biased towards horizontal movement. The feet make it so that moving the mouse up and down needs much more effort.

Edit:
Never mind. Checked the box again. It comes with an extra PTFE bit that removes most of that bias.

It also comes with thin adhesive rubber bits that you can fasten on the sides. Yay. :v:

I should check things out more carefully before bitching.

Funny stuff. Depending on mousemat that can happen as well. Some mats have texture one way but not the other, etc etc.

Humerus posted:

I don't have links because I've never really looked into it but a lot of people gut a Logitech G305 (or maybe 303 I don't really remember) and then use a 3D printed shell to get a shape/size similar to that HSK. I've seen shells on Etsy, you could probably buy the files too if you have access to a printer.

This is insanely common now. Printing fingertip stuff is sort of the go to when they are that small if you have access. The market for those limited run mice is insane. Hell the one is upwards of 500+ dollars to find a nice one now. wtf?

Edit : Black Friday deals are pretty insane at pwnage.
https://pwnage.com/collections/limited-doorbuster-bundles

EDIT 2: My nacho custom stormbreaker came. If all units going forward have this level of quality control then I could probably recommend the thing at full retail. Its also so loving pretty. Its still probably a dice roll outside of new limited colors but god drat am I way happier now.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 26, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

Hm. When I enter my hand size and select fingertip grip, it recommends mice such as the Pro X, mice with 12-13 cm length. That's what I don't want. :ssj:

Thats because "in theory" that part of the mouse probably wont matter if you're really choking up as far as you'd need to on those tiny mice. In theory of course.

PirateBob posted:

The rog strix carry should arrive in a couple of days, I'll see how that one works out first. :)

Which one? I've personally never been a fan of ASUS mice but I did have a pretty decent linear keyboard they made.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

What do you mean by "choking up as far as you'd need to"?

Like if you're finger tip gripping you shouldn't really be resting your palm anyways and most mice that are non ergo have low backs. This combined with you in theory being near the front of the click buttons means even if the mouse is a little longer or whatever, you probably wont rest on it if you're actually finger tip gripping.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you are in fact finger tip gripping a longer mouse shouldn't matter. Obviously you don't want it to be a limo or something but your average ultralight shouldn't be a bother.

Also that ASUS seems fine. 1k polling, decent battery/sensor. Yeah sure it aint the new hotness sensor wise but like whatever. Looks like what you want size/shape wise for sure.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 27, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

The length does matter because 1) it affects the feel of the mouse when you move it, there's a presence of its shape and the slight friction of the needlessly long end that you feel, and 2) if you hold it by the front/mid, it'll butt into your palm when you move it downwards. The Pro X is tolerable for fingertip grip, but it's clearly not designed for anything but palm grip barbarians.

Then you're drooping your palm a bit or have smaller hands. I have very average hands with long thumbs and can't imagine hitting my palm while finger tipping. At least with mice such as the M600 in size/shape. and definitely not to an extent I would notice. My Stormbreaker/G703 have humps that you simply can't ignore because they are ergo mice ya know?

I mean it dont matter, everyones grips a bit dif but a standard finger grip with average or larger hands, id imagine you shouldn't be running your palm into that part of the mouse regularly. But again, everyones a bit different.

With that all said I kinda hybrid fingertip/palm myself. Opens up a lot of devices that way + I'm not a hardcore believer of fingertip being the true one god of grips.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 27, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Neat the 4k polling one is in stock in white.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kibner posted:

Despite this, I am kinda liking the design and specs of the Pwnage StormBreaker (but hate the name): https://pwnage.com/products/stormbreaker?variant=42194765545663

Have 2 of em.
My nacho custom is great.
My blue one was a quality control nightmare.

Customer support is "meh". Expect long delays and slow turn arounds.

If you buy one now. Make sure its a recently restocked color. If you get an old shelved one like I did, theres a good chance you'll have QC issues.

Also theres issues with the newest software and some people are bricking the dongles apparently? Idk. I'm back on old software and staying with 2k polling.

I love the mouse. But don't buy magnesium unless you're ready to rip the thing apart and tinker.

change my name posted:

I can definitely tell the difference between 1000Hz and 2000Hz on my mouse but it's pretty minor and I assume most people wouldn't notice. Also I feel like Keychron's strategy is to just use the same internals while changing the mouse shape, which actually rocks

Same. That jump I noticed. The 4k jump I can't tell the dif other than my battery getting murdered. I stay on 2k. I also only run 144hz so theres that too. Lots of that poo poo comes down to refresh/frame rate.

shaving 1-3ms is a very tiny factor overall in aiming and not something that should be described as "meaningful" unless you are looking for every single possible edge and have exhausted all of the low hanging fruit to improving your aim.

When you're min/maxing tho, thats a solid improvement.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 1, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

K8.0 posted:

Most people would see a far bigger benefit from simply turning up DPI and turning down sensitivity. People still playing on 800 DPI are holding themselves back. It's very significant IMO, go to 6400 DPI and 1/8 windows sens and you can feel the difference on the desktop, never mind in games.

Its impossible to run anything higher than 800dpi for me and keep a 50cm or so 360 and keep it consistent across the board.

Some games read raw DPI and there isn't poo poo you can do about it. Christ some games I have to dive down to 400.

I used to run higher DPI and lower sensitivity other places and tbqh I can't feel an actual difference. I felt more moving from 1k polling to 2k polling than I ever did with DPI adjustments.

DPI has been horse poo poo for a while. Its a marketing bullet point.

Kibner posted:

I do like tinkering as long as it isn’t a thing where I have to spend hours looking up confusing instructions or guides to do what should be simple things. I’m getting enough of that with my venture into learning professional networking stuff.

Nah its a mouse. Most of the poo poo you'll tinker with are the mylar pads or dots for the plungers or whatever. Its nothing confusing you just have to be careful taking it apart so you don't yank out the ribbon cable for the thumb buttons.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

K8.0 posted:

I would look to see if you can set lower sens through config editing. A lot of the time you can get more precise that way, and it makes running higher DPI more viable.

Not my first rodeo and to be clear I'm a min/maxing FPS game sweat. My entire setup is built around movement shooters and low sensitivity.

Its impossible to run high DPI in some titles purely from the standpoint of being able to actually play the game. I have to dive down to like 400 for the sniper elite games if I remember correctly.

This debate has been a thing forever. Low sensitivity players ain't running high DPI. We can't.

TL:DR Of the entire debate.

Its preference and a marketing bullet point for mouse companies.

Me moving from 800 dpi to 1600 dpi isn't going to increase anything for me in a min/max scenario. Nor is moving up to some obnoxious advertised 16k whatever.

The good thing about high DPI sensors though is at lower DPI they are more accurate than lower quality sensors at the same DPI.

Seriously. I felt a bigger jump moving up in polling rates than I ever did with DPI. I used to be one of those psychopaths who ran 6k/8k DPI then dove everything down to get it "low enough" in a lot of titles. Straight up can't tell a difference between 800 and 8k outside of its hard as gently caress to get 8k dialed in.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 1, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

you can think of dpi as setting the amount of evenly spaced dots per inch over your mousepad. if the spacing between dots is narrower because there are more of them, the faster your mouse will reach its next input and thus the lower the input latency.

it's not that relevant for fast flicks, but for slower tracking motions (e.g. 0.4 inches/second) it's dramatic under test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoRfv9W110

That video and the charts in it, basically say 800dpi master race. Diminishing returns and all that. Like every chart for the most part shows that anything beyond 800 is absolutely within error range when it comes to latency. And thats with 1 mouse and 1 sensor and 1 dongle.

Theres a reason a lot of pros stick with 800 folks. Theres a reason I went back down to it. You can SLIGHTLY argue 1600 or whatever but beyond that there isn't any actual gain and those gains at 1600 are within testing error margins and all that poo poo.

Its like the whole EDPI debates and poo poo. Its useless fluff 99% of the time.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 2, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

but I see it as like a free $0 input latency reduction for slow tracking tasks. it's just like a why not type thing.

Because its annoying as gently caress when you actually play games with your mouse and the game reads raw DPI with no option to read windows sensitivity so you have to go into your software and dive the poo poo down with however many applications that do that poo poo. Its really not uncommon sadly. Happens more with console ports than anything but its common enough in general. And having to jump through those hoops means its not free. Its also a fraction of a ms in most cases moving beyond 800dpi. And every mouse I own defaults 800dpi out the box.

It wasn't until recently did I realize that chasing high DPI was foolish beyond 800dpi. Like look, I'm a min/max sweaty rear end fps gamer. If it actually was worth it, i'd be doing it. At least as far as FPS gaming and poo poo goes.

edit: another thought I had is that higher dpi is more important the faster your effective sensitivity, since you are going to be physically moving the mouse slower when tracking targets. conversely, higher dpi is not as important for lower effective sensitivities since you are tracking much faster physically on the mousepad.

This starts falling into EDPI talk and EDPI isn't a thing.

Higher DPI isn't as important as polling rates. Polling rates and higher dpi both have massive drop offs after certain points. DPI being 800, Polling rates being semi tied to your fps/refresh rate but after around 2k things start to drop off outside of edge case/extreme high end builds pushing insane framerates.

you can actually measure the input latency from dpi just like with a monitor refresh rate. at far distances trying to track a target at like 0.25 inches/second is common. this is 200 dots per second at 800 dpi, so that is 5ms of input latency. you can halve or quarter this by just bumping up the dpi. the slower the tracking the more dramatic the effect.

I don't halve my latency by going to 1600dpi. I have no idea where you're getting that math. Thats not how it works. No amount of moving up in DPI from 800 is going to make a 5ms latency 2.5ms.

Now if you're saying I can halve it by like, moving beyond 1600. What DPI are you suggesting? Because the video we all just watched basically says theres no point beyond 800. Realistically.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 2, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

the input latency comes from the mouse having to physically move from 1 "dot" on the mousepad to the next "dot" for an input. at 800 dpi, there are 800 of these dots in an inch. if you increase the number of dots in this inch, the mouse has to physically move less to get to the next dot. the amount of input latency scales linearly with the speed of the mouse movement and the number of dots per inch.

Beyond 800 DPI there isn't a point for latency. 1600 can be arguable in some cases simply because there is a small gain in upwards of 1ms depending on the device. Thats the end of it. Thats the ted talk. Its literally that simple.

I think I'm gonna stop going back and forth because it feels like you're trying to mansplain DPI and we are way beyond the definition of DPI.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 2, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Klyith posted:

All this poo poo is measurable, but I'd bet large amounts of money that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 800 and 3200 DPI on 2 machines with settings adjusted to produce equal cursor / aim sensitivity.

If you set the windows desktop and game stuff to the exact cm per 360 nobody could tell a difference.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shaocaholica posted:

Also, is a used mint pro x super light 1 for $50 worth it?

How used? Logitech switches are hit or miss. I personally can kill a logitech click in 3 months. So unless "mint" means its been in a box most its life, yeah, how used?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shaocaholica posted:

No discernible use marks. 3mo old. Not sure I can get much more info than that.

Its probably safe at that price then. Its 50 bucks and if the mouse has no visible wear on the plastic its probably ok.

Hell maybe you can get em to give you a screenshot of a receipt, then logitech will cover the poo poo if it does gently caress up.

EDIT: So my Pwnage Stormbreaker Nacho edition has a squeaking issue in the right click. And it seems to be a common oops on this one. Fun!

Folks this is why you don't buy magnesium mice unless you are willing to gently caress with poo poo or can deal with some bullshit in some way.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 4, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

tildes posted:

Any good smaller companies making wireless mice? I remember Nixeus and Dream Machines made some of my favorite ambi mice with really good sensors, despite not being very well known. Unfortunately I don’t think I can go back to wired mice.

Every small company I've seen so far has terrible rear end customer service and depending on the mouse, questionable quality control.

With that said. If I was gonna buy an smaller non ergo right now, it'd probably be a Beast X. The new pink and blue looks amazing and its under 40 grams. I've also seen less QC issues than I have other magnesium mice.

I'm a magnesium slut now. Sorry.

https://www.wlmouse.com/products/beastx?variant=46391224500522

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kibner posted:

Wait, where is it under $40? I see it listed as $140.

Where did I say its 40$?

40 Grams broski. As in weight.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rexxed posted:

Depends on the warranty support of the brown box. It could be refurbished? I'd risk it if I wanted the mouse but I'm also happy to tear into stuff to replace switches and whatnot if I have to.

Basically this.

Razer IMO has poo poo warranty/customer service. I've had pretty crappy results and its why I don't run anything razer anymore. Well that and the software they force you to use is hot garbage, but thats another topic all together.

If you REALLY want that mouse, go for it and if it shows up "like new" otherwise, cool.

If not, Buy a clone.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateBob posted:

My Logitech Pro X sometimes skips a centimeter on the screen, as if it chugged and didn't take input for half a second. Using a usb3 port, wireless. Happens maybe once an hour.

Does that sound like a mouse issue or something else?

First thing I'd do is move the wireless dongle away from everything else. If you have a small extension put it on that and get it away from your other USB ports/devices. Also keep your cell phone away from the dongle. (This is probably the issue. I've had that happen quite a bit until I realized certain devices were making my mouse do the skip)

IF that don't sort it. The rabbit hole could get deep. Pop open task manager or something and see if any system stuff spikes when it happens.

If its happening in the same spot on your mat make sure theres no weird spot in your mat. I doubt this is the case but hey, worth mentioning. :)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

slidebite posted:

Forced software? No thanks.

Appreciate the insight though folks.

https://www.razer.com/synapse-3

Its that. Need it to "control things".

Almost every mouse has some kind of software. Razers just IMO is one of the bulkiest and I just don't like razer as a company so I'm a bit bias.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
All you G700 people.

Is the MX Master not a decent replacement as far as size goes?

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-master-3s.910-006557.html

Looks quite similar.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Ok thats all fair. I'm just out of the loop on mice that big tbh and it looks like it fits the bill.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So I'm mousepad shopping again and going to buy a bunch of poo poo from X-Ray pads again and noticed they have this in stock, in all 3 colors.

https://shop.x-raypad.com/shop/g-wolves-hsk-plus-fingertip-wireless-gaming-mouse-white-transparent-blue/

So if you wanted a tiny fingertip mouse and liked the HSK on paper, there it is.

Warning. Shipping is loving insane. My 49$ order has 26$ shipping, which, oddly is still cheap for a custom pad with extra skates and other poo poo but still. Don't be shocked when you setup the shipping address and its insane.

I'd pick up a mousepad while you're at it.

I like my Aqua Control +, But I want something faster so I'm going to buy a speed I think.

EDIT: Nope. Buying a thor apparently. GOTTA GO FAST!

isndl posted:

[*] Rubberized grips, don't know how well they'll hold up over time. The hard plastic sides on the G903 made it easy to clean when it did get gunk on it

Itll get gross over time. Alcohol it every time you think about it to keep it clean but eventually its going to break down and get gummy. Look into grips "nowish" so you have something to cover it later.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 29, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kibner posted:

Got the Pwnage Stormbreaker in the red colorway for Christmas from my partner. She noticed me kinda obsessing over it and it's competitors on RTings and other sites.

I have not used it to game, yet, because we are still at her folks' place. I did use it with my work laptop yesterday and today, however. First impressions are pretty good! I did have to put grip tape on the pinkie side of the mouse because I just could not get a good grip on it when recentering. Debating on putting the grip tape on the thumb side. Will have to do some gaming to figure that out.

I am excited about how lightweight it is and also that the magnesium being a better conductor of heat than plastic should help my hands to not sweat as much. I just have a real problem with my hands getting real hot when gaming. The better tracking than I have ever had is something I am looking forward to experiencing when I get home.

So I don't wanna be that guy but please be ready to deal with customer service.

If you got red, that means you got a batch that probably hasn't been opened and fixed for the handful of known quality control issues.

One is the mylar pads inside. They shift for some people etc.
The other is the dots they used for the click arms. Theres a 95% chance you have multiple slick dots stuck on top of each other and at some point you'll end up feeling like its got some gap between the arm and click. Or itll feel double clicky.

Basically get ready to email support and if its after 30 days expect them to try and get you to pay shipping to send it back to fix it.

I'd also join the discord. Theres a near 100% chance you'll get told you have to pay to ship the thing back regardless on first email contact.

Pwnages customer service is terrible. If you haven't figured that out yet.

With all that said, I do still like my mice. But my blue one (which would be similar to your red when it comes to when it was made) was a QC nightmare and basically everyone who bought one that isn't a nacho recently, has SOME kind of issue. Again, Love my mice but knowing what I know now I'd buy the WLmouse Beast X next time.

I'm really sorry if this comes off as a downer of a post but I just do NOT want you stuck with a hosed up mouse if you end up with one as bad as mine was and I just want you to be ready for terrible rear end customer service.

Now some less negative stuff.

I really like the sensor moved forward. I have it full forward and something about that position just feels really really nice. I'd highly recommend dicking around with the position of it. Its kinda the whole point of the mouse tbh. The gimmick if you will.

Software wise. Theres reports of the newest software being poo poo. If you don't care about anything beyond 2k polling id just recommend downloading the old version from the discord (search it, people post it all the time) and use it. If you care about the 4k stuff, you're stuck on the new poo poo sadly. Though I have no idea how long the battery would last at 4k. I'm only seeing 8-10 hours of use on 2k so 4k would be insane id imagine.

Grip tape, you do you, but to me it made my premium bougie mouse feel cheap.

I think you'll enjoy the thing. Just, expect potential shitstorm of dumbass things that could be fixed real easily if support is on the ball.

repiv posted:

may depend on the region, apparently they do do something similar

razer only wanted me to destroy the cable, and peel the label off the bottom and cut that in half

I wonder why I've never been asked to do this. I have a whole rear end pile of mice that "sorta work" depending on what the needs are.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 29, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kibner posted:

Can you explain a little what you mean about the mylar pads? Where is that on the mouse so that I can be on the lookout for it?

I haven't yet noticed any odd feeling when clicking any of the buttons. I might be a lucky?

I will definitely have to join the discord. I imagine they would be able to let me know if getting one numbered in the 1,500s is one of the ones prone to a lot of issues. Since this was a Christmas gift, I might already be beyond the 30 day window, unfortunately.

My blue one is like 14xx or something.

Mine felt fine initially too. The more you use it the faster itll happen if its going to happen. As far as the mylar pads its the pads that stop the metal from touching when you fully click down. earlier versions had some grease on em which causes them to slide then make the clicks kinda sticky. Fix is trimming it down or replacing the mylar pad. No biggy. The dot thing they have actual replacement dots for (same with the mylar pads), so theres an official fix which they'll do for you if you wanna ship it around or you can probably just ask for parts if you wanna just fix it all yourself.

If you do take it apart, the 2 rear skates are where the screws are and it kinda slides apart. Careful though, theres a ribbon cable for the thumb buttons. To replace the mylar you do have to tear the whole rear end thing down. To do the dots you should be able to do it without a full rear end tear down. I find it easier to undo the ribbon cable then tear it down the rest of the way.

The biggest thing I think you might have to worry about is the dots for the clicks. Theres just a huge chance that theres at least 2 stacked on top of each other to get the tolerance they needed to get to to make the click flush. I just have seen every single release have some kind of issue. like the nacho customs we all got recently. They ALL have right click squeak and a lot of us have this clicking thing that happens because the frame shifted at some point and it needs a quick rebuild.

If you're using this thing as a full time mouse and not just the rari on the weekends. You'll have issues if its gonna happen and itll happen quick. I just felt compelled to crash course you on what to expect because for the short time I've owned mine I've seen some poo poo. The amount of other customers having the exact same experiences just means its def not uncommon and while I do really love the mouse I can't not warn you. Its a 200$ mouse. You should know what you might have to deal with.

if you get lucky and get a good one, cool. The devices are dope and I really do love mine. But its definitely the finicky sports car that you have to DIY fix basically everything because nobody really knows it exists.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kibner posted:

That's all great things to know! Yeah, it would be ideal if those issues weren't a thing, but at least they are fixable and doesn't require any kind of homebrew'd solutions or hacks. It will be my fun-time mouse after work is over, so I should find the issues sooner than later. I use a DXT Vertical Mouse for work when I'm at home.

Yeah then you're gonna enjoy the thing. Its a fun device and the premium metal feel is just great. I personally have stuck with the older software since I have no intention of moving to 4k. I run 2mm lift off because of the placement of the sensor being full forward.

I did end up ordering an x-ray thor and some obsidian and jade skates. I guess the thors the fastest pad they sell and the jades are the fastest skates they sell. Time to go zoom zoom I guess. ill slap the obsidians on if i need to slow it down a little. pretty excited.

I need to sell my second stormbreaker. I wanna pick up that beast x but I can't justify it until i get rid of one of these things. Wish our local facebook wasn't so trash. I think I'm going to have to resort to actual internet sales :(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kibner posted:

You were right; I'm enjoying the thing. lol

Got home earlier today and have played a variety of games with it and I like it. I moved the sensor most of the way up so that when I accidentally twist the mouse while moving it side-to-side, the position doesn't change much. Still need to do some more fine tuning on that.

I've given it a shot in Exoprimal, Halo: Infinite, Heroes of the Storm, and Chivalry 2.

Good!

Play some faster shooter stuff! Devil Daggers is my go to mechanical skill training game. Very good for building the stress slowly. :)

EDIT: Hey fingertip mice people!

https://twitter.com/Darmoshark_levy/status/1742028380198031636?t=S1QiL3Pa7KL0VNl5SB4o9A&s=19

Darmoshark comin in hot!

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 2, 2024

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Philthy posted:

Went down the keyboard rabbit hole, and now I have a few pretty cool keyboards I can take apart and customize at a whim.

I'm looking at my old G305 mouse, and the wheel is starting to slip, and it's dirty as hell. I do like the form factor, it's a traditional 5 button mouse that feels good in the hand. I've tried the first wave of gaming mice like 15 years ago that looked like Gundams with weights and sharp edges, and those hurt my hands and returned them all in favor of just using the latest Logitech that looks like the G305 since.

Are there any mice that are equivalent to the mod-able keyboards? That is to say, completely able to be opened, cleaned, maintained, maybe the shells with multiple colors, weights and switches and wheel types that are swappable from clicky / bumpy to not?

Failing that, how about a mouse like the G305 that can be maintained and cleaned without having to peel back stickers to get at screws and such?

Edit: Wireless

Almost every single mouse is going to require you to remove stock skates to get into it. After that, you can use universal dots to keep the holes uncovered.

https://amzn.to/48Miyuy

Theres a billion brands. I'm using those on a device atm. They're fine.

If you just want to tinker and gently caress with things. And you're good at soldering, then just pick a bougie brand mouse you like the shape of and get to it. There really isn't anything with hot swappable parts (at least that ive seen thats common, i could be wrong here tho) so you'll be breaking out the iron.

You could always do a 3d printed custom job. Theres lots of "Print this and add the insides of this mouse" kinda stuff out there.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 10, 2024

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Asus mice are probably as close as you are going to get. They are designed to be opened up without removing the mouse feet.
The switches are hotswappable. The newest mice even let you use optical or mechanical switches.
The mouse wheel is still soldered in, but at least you can clean it(or remove if it you want to do some soldering). And you can probably swap out the battery pretty easily too since it's just sitting there once you pop off the shell. idk if they sell different colored shells.

But then you're using an ASUS mouse. :smug:

Didn't know they were doing that tbqh. Neat poo poo.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

keep in mind for modern wireless mice, charging is just plugging in the mouse cord. you're not swapping aaa batteries or w/e unless you get them from the bargain bin.

Or its a lower model of a microsoft or logi mouse thats meant for laptop use/travel and is budget minded so the battery is user swapped.

Thanks Ants posted:

I miss the early days of the expensive Logitech cordless laser optical mice where they came with a little dock that you put the mouse into overnight every 3-4 days.

MX700 gang gang.

I rolled one of those foreeeeever.

Honestly as fast as mice charge anymore not remembering isn't a huge deal. I keep my dongles near my mousepad on the extension cables the mice come with. That way if I have to charge because I'm a big dummy and forgot to plug my poo poo in at some point during the month, I can still charge and use the thing.

Generally if I plug it in, use it for a few, grab a cup of coffee, answer a couple emails, its full enough to not care again for a few weeks at a min. I think I charge this thing once every other month at this point? Not sure. It lasts forever, just like my logitechs did.

Love my m600 cheap rear end chinese clone mouse for desktop use.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Got my Thor pad from X-Ray.

Super like it. Much softer top than the Control +. Faster, but I'm not like unable to control my mouse or anything. Even with the Jade skates.

Good poo poo. Worth the bucks and wait.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 14, 2024

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm looking for a tablet holder for the treadmill as I don't think my tablet with its current protective case will rest in the little nook on the treadmill at my gym. Is there a tablet holding that can clamp onto a treadmill that can also hold the tablet+case?

There are a dozen of these types of things on amazon.
https://amzn.to/48I2DxC

I'd just get one of those that don't have some huge long arm.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

redstormpopcorn posted:

I'd just shove the 2.4GHz dongle into one laptop and connect to the other with Bluetooth

This right here is the answer.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

err posted:

can anyone recommend some feet for a gpro x superlight on a skypad 3.0?

Blind recommends are going to be corepads, xrays jades/obsidians without knowing anything else about your mousing style.

I'm pretty happy with my jades on my stormbreaker. Not sure if I feel like they are heaps faster than the stock but they feel solid either way.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fender Anarchist posted:

My old G403 gave up the ghost about a month back, my bargain bin laptop mouse is just not cutting it on desktop so I'm looking for advice on a new mouse. Performance-wise it did me fine, although the scroll wheel needed annual cleaning to stay functional and was never quite as slick as the first year of ownership.

Ergonomics is my big concern, though. I've got big ol' long hands, and although the 403 was one of the bigger mice back when I was looking, I've found it's not great for my hand over long durations. I end up falling into a really tense claw grip, and before the logitech dying basically enforced a break from gaming altogether, I would frequently end up with a lot of joint pain in my pinky, from pressing it sideways into the mouse to grip it. Do they make bigger mice that someone like me can more naturally use with a palm grip? Are there more ergonomic options that are still nice and responsive without breaking the bank? Reddit posters seem pretty settled on the G Pro X 2 but $150 is a bit rich for my blood.

TLDR

-ergonomics a top priority
-hand length: 22cm from wrist to tip of middle finger
-Budget: <$100 (yes I see the irony in saying that under this particular thread title)
-performance at least on par with a G403

I posted this a while ago but its still pretty much what i'd recommend you do.

quote:

You should look at https://www.eloshapes.com/index.html or something and find something similar to a shape you like and go from there.

If you don't like the feel of the logitech ultralight though. Theres a good chance that until you splash down for a 150+ bougie mouse, you're going to be unhappy with "cheap plastic feels" though. The GPX isn't what I'd call a "lovely plastic feeling mouse" and if you're that upset with how it feels I'm not even sure what you'd enjoy in the ultralight space. I mean yeah sure magnesium mice feel way more solid but we're talking 150+ here for a mouse that may have potential quality control issues and lovely customer service.

With that said theres heaps of good 3395 devices.

https://amzn.to/3SPkzRX

Recommended by lots of people. 35 bucks atm.

https://amzn.to/40SiBSx

Similar to the M600 I linked. I think it even can use the same software, Just comes in cute colors.

https://amzn.to/3ukZDYE

This has a few variants. Also gets recommends in a lot of places.

Return the logtiech and play with cheap clones. Find a shape you like then start searching for your end game but get ready to drop 100+ again.

The only change I'd make is maybe skip the elo shape thing until you find some mice that look like it might work then compare it in elo with the old ones size.

Ultimately I think you're going to end up dropping 100+ if you want a name brand or bougie brand mouse but you'll probably be pretty happy with a clone unless you're super hella picky. I'm still very happy with my m600 for daily desktop use and gaming when I need something to mash a click with so I don't kill my expensive mouse.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

isndl posted:

As a gamer mouse the sharper scroll wheel is meant to give better control during gameplay. FPS gamers won't scroll too far when using it to weapon switch, or RTS gamers won't accidentally scroll when middle clicking to pan, etc. It's not meant for stuff like web browsing.

Some models like the 502 have the toggle into free-scroll mode if you have binds to spam fire or if you want something easier to use with non-gaming tasks.

oh us sweats use it for movement poo poo not gun swaps.

ive had jump on wheeldown for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wash bucket posted:

Maybe I just need to keep two different mice on my desk then. "Right tool for the job" and all that.

Thats what I do as well.

M600 for desktop/non fps lots of clicking.
Stormbreaker for FPS/Gamer time.