Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does the G700s work properly with LGS? Because my G700 sure doesn't (well it's "supported" and being detected and all, but keeps losing its settings/profiles constantly so it's downright unusable until you install a pre-LGS version of SetPoint for it). Also the look is idiotic but I take that over other GAMERZ mice, and it has just enough buttons so I don't really need a telephone mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

There's a good chance it's not even iron-soldering. It's almost 2016, I would not be surprised in the least if all that poo poo was SMD-mount.

I miss my old MX518. :( I have a couple G400s's to hold me over until Logitech gets tired of Angular Space Mice.

Yeah this can't happen soon enough :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SinineSiil posted:

Why did Logitech decide to make their new G series mice ugly?

Apparently ProGamerz1337! Stuff sells better? I don't know.

It means if my G700 breaks, I'll have to hope the G700s still exists or buy "normal" mice instead.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

Welp, the latest LGS just chewed my g700 up and spat it out.

Once the software loaded, I clicked into the per-app profile section where it didn't find a single loaded profile - not even a default, it was just empty. A thing hitched and the software crashed and my mouse died with it. Moving the mouse made the cursor skip and only update once every second - none of the mouse clicks worked except for left click in a browser which, for some reason, acted like I was pressing f6 (go to navbar). Nothing I do is bringing it back.

This mouse has been nothing but problems when it comes to profiling. It *constantly* forgot its own on-board profiles when I used those, it constantly skipped back to default or an on-board default profile when I tried using per-app settings. Locking it to one profile didn't because it would constantly revert back to default on-board profiles. Trying to find a solution for this only lead me to years and years and years of people posting about exactly the same problems - these posts go all the way back to 2011.

Why is LGS or the on-board profile memory so bad at this, goo? Why is it a common issue to which no solution exists online?

I just bought a g602 but I'm keeping the receipt close and your customer service # even closer.

That sucks :( I pretty much had to "solve" this problem with my G700 by going back to an ancient LGS version, the last one that was still delivered as a part of the SetPoint software. Everything newer was endlessly frustrating because of the profile issues. It's sad though because the G700 is pretty much the only remaining Logitech gaming mouse I can still tolerate, wonder why they never fixed that (and I have no idea if the G700s is better at profiles).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

Can you be more explicit about the "absurdly lovely" battery life? I was planning on the G700s as my next mouse, if the battery lasts less than a couple of days that would be a major bummer.

A couple, :laffo:

I have a G700, I don't think the G700s significantly improved battery life if at all. Generally you're charging it every day or two, my record was 2-3 times on the same day on a weekend with lots of MMO playtime.

Although, lately I got it to 2-3 days per charge with my settings and a new Eneloop Pro battery, but it's still crappy (I also have a Performance MX as a backup and in comparison it's even more hilarious).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Any gaming? Really? I have a MX master on a 2nd PC and used it quite a bit with GTA5/Online and some MMOs, I never had the lagging/reboot issue and response times have never been an issue for me :iiam:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah but then he also said "if you intend to do any gaming avoid it" which is ridiculous.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

It's HARDWARE 4 G4M3RZ. An extreme version of it, sure, but let's not pretend there's any company left that doesn't make their gaming-related hardware like this.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Corsair, nanoxia, fractal design, phanteks, Nzxt, all have products like this - the majority of their products in many cases. Understated elegance is very much the new trend for high end cases, it tends to be the cheap crap that looks like a prop from a transformers movie.

Yeah but apparently the same thing doesn't work/sell if applied to peripherals. Gaming products need LEDs and the look of a customizable sports pistol, apparently, and subdued "premium" products often lack the sensors or software so they're not equally usable for dedicated gaming.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Neither of my Performance MX have either :shrug:

My last Logitech mouse that developed double-click-ism was my old MX700, and a few times I thought my G700 had it but then it disappeared for another few months.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

Good question, that picture just looks like the 703 from a different angle. The 600 is their wired MMO mouse, and the 602 is their wireless MMO mouse. They both have a ton of buttons.

I'd like to see them make the 502 in a wireless version. Like, exact same body and buttons but wireless.

The name doesn't have to mean anything after the G703 is the wireless recharging version of a G403, not related to the old G700/G700s.

I want them to make a modern G700 (wireless, some additional buttons, modern sensors so the battery life isn't as pathetic), but it's probably not going to happen :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did Logitech ever start adding support for older hardware to their newest flashy options software? Because it was dumb if you used a combination of devices of different "generations", each with their own settings suite. And then you possibly need the gaming software as well. Which supports old stuff but sometimes only badly (eg. in the case of the G700 mouse).

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 9, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

E: later that day...
:siren: Holy poo poo it doesn't have middle-click :siren:

The first MX Anywhere had the same thing, the tiny button behind the wheel acts as a middle button (I guess it's mapped to something else with the Anywhere 2, but default mappings have gotten dumber over time) instead of the wheel. The wheel is not so much hard-coded as it's an actual physical switch IIRC.

I agree it's awkward and while playing with the first MX Anywhere I was hoping they'd change it in a future product iteration instead of keeping it the same/doubling down on having the wheel switch scroll modes :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

And this is where you stuffed up. If you live in a civilized country with consumer protection laws, don't buy things directly from US companies or US based retailers.

US company? :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm finding two different product numbers for the Logitech G603 in online stores, 910-005102 and 910-005101. The latter is listed as the mouse's product number on Logitech's website. Is there a difference between the two products?

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 27, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

I’ve just been allocated the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S at work. Is there seriously no way to make the scroll wheel, which clicks when you push down on it, the middle click button?

The Logitech software lets me change the button just behind it (which is placed at such an awkward angle that my finger will probably drop off trying to use it), and lets me change the sideways action of the scroll wheel, but not the vertical click action, which does nothing despite actually clicking down. Is this seriously the case or am I completely stupid and missing something obvious?

I’m just about ready to throw this mouse through my office window in frustration.

Yeah: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&pagenumber=220&perpage=40#post478685252

Unfortunately, the MX Anywhere and a few other Logitech mice (IIRC) have their wheel mode switch (which is a physical switch, not a button you can reassign in software) built into the wheel, you'll need to assign "middle click" to one of the mouse buttons if you need it. The first MX Anywhere had it on the small button behind the wheel by default, apparently the MX Anywhere 2 doesn't.

And yeah it sucks for users who use middle click way more than switching the scroll wheel mode.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tamba posted:

Same, but for the G700s.

Empty, quoting, etc. :pray:

My OG G700 is still working fine most of the time - it develops double clicking issues occasionally, but those always went away again.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Now do it with the G700/G700s.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like that we mostly left the godawful designs like the G900, G402 and G502 behind, but I hope they're adding more e-sports mice, maybe use the G403/603/703 shape again. Can't have too many of those.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

This could be a problem with USB 3.0 interference, USB 3 tends to disrupt 2.4 GHz signals. Does it happen if you use a short USB 2.0 extender cable to get the receiver away from USB interference as well?

Oh is that a thing? I have a Logitech Unified receiver and an Xbone controller on my HTPC and the connections randomly drop for a few seconds (and I can "fix" it by getting really close).

On that note, I remember getting extenders for the Unified receiver with some Logitech mice, but I seem to have lost them. Can they be ordered separately? I guess I could get a random USB extension, but those don't look as nice :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I was checking Ebay etc. for a replacement G700(s), and there really are some being sold as new for... $150 to 250 :suicide:

I guess I'll have to get a Leadr eventually, if my G700 dies...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

I can't over-emphasize how great Logitech's Lightspeed wireless is. If you're fine with wired mice, imagine that same performance but without the wire. Couple that with a Powerplay setup and you never have to plug in the mouse, ever.

I bet it's fine but they're not making anything but e-sports mice with it so meh. Call me when they make another "MMO" mouse with more than 2 additional buttons.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Judging by the mess that is their recent naming scheme, it will be the G710 or something :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's mean. I'd buy like 10 G700 Lightspeed but it will never happen :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

The battery life is literally the only complaint I have with the G700S. Otherwise it's :perfect:

Well yeah, except for the part where you can't buy a new one anymore if the double clicking takes over or it breaks in any other way.

The battery life is a pretty significant complaint, though. And I assume the sensor could be a lot better these days (which I wouldn't know because literally none of the current Logitech gaming mice appeal to me). Also, my G700 didn't work right with certain LGS versions, but the current one that supports my :catdrugs: keyboard works.

It's still funny I have to run at least 3 different Logitech programs to manage my devices, though. LGS is its own thing and they keep dropping support for slightly older hardware every time a new suite comes out for their non-gaming products. So I get to run SetPoint for old mice (like the Performance MX I use for work stuff), Options for newer devices, and LGS for the G700 and the G810 keyboard (which was discontinued too, gj Logitech :()

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 13, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the software part of Logitech products is pretty bad, especially if you use devices of two+ different "generations" and sub-brands (ie. office products and gaming devices).

If I buy a new mouse I get to use the new G Hub. But I still need to keep LGS running for my keyboard (it doesn't have memory to save settings like RGB customization), the old SetPoint-LGS for my older mouse (it has on-board memory on paper and also works with the newer LGS, but not very well). Then I have two mice for office work that use Options and SetPoint respectively.

It's cool that every time there's a new settings software, it almost exclusively supports the latest and future hardware only.

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 21, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh does the 604 not have a charging function over USB cable? You could always use rechargeable batteries and keep a spare around I guess.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well the main point of the G700/s is the amount of buttons so I'm not sure "regular amount of buttons" will do :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FastestGunAlive posted:

Just built my first pc, courtesy of the build thread. My mouse is skipping/lagging every few seconds. It is a G602 that I've had for over a year- no issues when plugged into my laptop. I downloaded the dumb logitech program to confirm the drivers are up to date. Google suggested turning off "allow device off to save power" for USB ports in device manager and uinstalling/reinstalling via device manager- no change from doing those. Fresh batteries and a clean mouse pad. Any suggestions?
USB 3.0 can add interference to 2.4 GHz wireless devices (I'm assuming that's what the mouse is using), the mainboard (USB port layout etc.) and case will influence that too.

I also had Logitech wireless mice for ages and on notebooks I never had problems, and for my desktop I used the USB extender cables that came with the mice.

If I use the receivers directly plugged into my SFF box the same mice started randomly lagging or temporarily lost connection, especially if I was more than about 1 m from the case. I also use an extender for the receiver now and everything is fine again, so I thing it's either normal interference with a boost by USB 3.0 :v:, but could also be the case's fault (the SFF box is a Dan A4 so everything is really close together).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

Ok, totally different mouse question. You know how some older Razer mice in particular had this soft touch plastic/rubber that turns sticky over time? Does anyone know how to remedy that? I've seen various methods suggested online, like using cleaning products, acetone, alcohol, etc., to just sanding it down. I would have no problem with just a smooth surface, but in the meantime I'm going to try cleaning with soap & water (this particular mouse has a removable top shell that contains almost the entire rubber coating, aside from the side buttons unfortunately.)
That's usually the plasticizer diffusing out of the rubberized surface. When I had mice and other things (like the rubberized grip of an umbrella) with that I always rubbed it off with alcohol and a napkin or towel in the end. Stronger stuff like acetone/nail polish remover works pretty fast but can turn the underlying surface matte/dull though, isopropyl or denatured alcohol takes way more rubbing on the other hand. Soap and water always turned the surfaces even more sticky for me.

You can also rub talcum powder into the sticky surfaces and see if that helps if you want to keep the rubber coating.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
During my active WoW time I used a G700 with modifier keys and that was enough, the amount of buttons on the G600 always seemed like overkill to me.

I was looking at the G604 as a replacement but I don't want to use yet another Logitech software utility and as far as I can tell you can't recharge it while (temporarily) attaching it to a USB cable, like all my other mice. Maybe when the G700 finally disintegrates :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Acceleration or "acceleration" because it uses a laser?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can't afford a proper mouse (or chair, or desk), I need the money for a sweet af $1000 RGB puke video card that idles all day long while I play minesweeper.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ynglaur posted:

Look at this guy forgetting the RGB cables.
RGB monitors too. Although that's in the same category as mice/desk/chair (ie. thing you use all day so make sure to put absolutely minimal amount of :10bux: in among your $3000 gamer cred build)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

[G700 repair guide]
Oh this is great, I'll consider it the next time my OG G700 develops double clicking. So far it always went away again after a short time. I also have a completely new G700s I bought just before they were discontinued.

I just had to replace the glide pads and yeah the battery life is an issue but it didn't bother me since I started using Eneloop Pro with the mouse. They last long enough and I can recharge the mouse on USB if I don't have a charged battery lying around.

NihilCredo posted:

I went G700s -> G604 and it's an upgrade in just about every way. The only sidegrade is that two of the top buttons turn into thumb button #5 and #6 - I prefer this layout as it's better for gaming, but YMMV. You get a better scrollwheel with a coating that doesn't wear off, and massively improved battery life with replaceable batteries.

Oh yeah, there's actually one downgrade - you need to use the new software (G-Hub) which is worse than the old LGS in almost every way. At least it's functional now, if clunky.
Eh, no. I never liked the G602/604 button placement and with G-Hub and the lack of USB charging the G604 is not really an option for me until I run out of G700(s) to buy used or repair, or they make a modern version of it (99% unlikely I guess). I'm not buying a wireless charging mat.

But hey I'm sure they will soon release a few more lightweight "standard" shape mice for e-sports pro-gamers :woop:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I still prefer having the feature :shrug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Having a bunch of extra buttons was super useful back in the day when I played WoW in a ~serious~ fashion because I could bind most of my heals to mouse buttons and modifiers and just click raid frames to execute the spells I wanted. I'm still sad this doesn't work with FF14's crappy interface/macro support.

It would also work fairly well in GW2 for eg. utility spells or the few classes which work with kits/bundles. Also "huge heavy clunky" what :psyduck:

Klyith posted:

I turn mine off because the G700 eats batteries like snacks, but also because it has enough sensitivity that walking by my desk occasionally vibrates it into turning the monitor back on. And it's not like I have the DPI set super-high so I guess even 1/4th of a pixel move will stop the screen saver.
Yeah my G700 turns the monitor back on randomly if I don't turn it off, too. The MX Master I also use doesn't do that.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 16, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah good old USB 3 interference
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

I had to use the extension cable for my living room PC to get the receiver for my wireless mouse and keyboard away from the case, or they would randomly not work even if I was sitting in direct LoS less than 2m from the computer.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did you change something about your setup, like move the receiver or add other USB devices?

Because with my TV PC setup (K270 keyboard + M560 mouse on a Unifying receiver) I had most of these problems, like the keyboard and mouse occasionally stopped working for a while, or only worked with a huge delay, or they randomly ignored some inputs but not others - until I moved the receiver some distance away from the computer with an extension cable.

If it's not just interference, you could try getting a replacement receiver before you replace the entire set. Otherwise, the (M)K270 still has the power button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm rapidly getting to the point where my next mouse will end up being the one who can deliver features without the absolute shittiest software imaginable. The level of UX incompetence in nearly all the keyboard/mouse tooling is unbelievable and it seems equally unbelievable that the best interface that I can get is actually X-Mouse Control, which, if you haven't seen it, looks like this

It's just some default Windows stuff with a couple tabs. It's been unchanged for what has to be close to a decade. It's built by 1 dude somewhere and it is vastly superior to anything Logitech, or Razer, or Steelseries has put out simply because he didn't get distracted and make a piece of loving GaMeR sOfTwArE and instead made something that just works.

If you cannot control yourself, then expose the hooks necessary to do mouse things via an API and I guarantee the community will pick up the slack.
I want to try this because everything has to be better than juggling a different control panel for each Logitech device because newer software gets worse and also doesn't reliably support the older devices and vice versa.

I'm still playing with a G700 that needs an ancient LGS version because the newer LGS versions that supported my keyboard are messing with the mouse settings in a bad way. I don't even dare to touch Ghub. Meanwhile Logitech Options for the newer "office" devices can only assign specific functions and shortcuts, but won't pass on Mouse 4/5 to applications and games. I also have an old MX Performance that's still fine and I like the shape, but it would require the old SetPoint software and :suicide: