Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
After submitting a lot of resumes with no response I suddenly got an internship starting tomorrow and an externship with an audit firm for a week over summer. I graduate with my bachelor's in a month or so and I really should have had an internship last summer, but I had to take 12 units over that summer because of some prerequisite nonsense. Next semester I'll be teaching two sections of undergrad accounting and working on my master's. Think I'm going to try to get one section of the CPA done before school starts up again as well.

After so long feeling like school would never end everything is suddenly happening so fast. It's really cool, if a little nerve wracking. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to find time for sleep while all of this is going on. I'm guessing the answer is probably 'you don't'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Diplomat posted:

I can't imagine it being difficult getting hired if you have all the tests passed. I got my job at a small firm with no work experience and I haven't even taken my first part of the exam yet.

Yeah this seems really weird.

At what point in the process is this breaking down? Are you submitting resumes or going to interviews and not getting callbacks or what? Unless there's some huge problem with your résumé or interviewing skills I can't imagine not being able to find a CPA willing to get some relatively cheap work out of you for a year.

Do you just live in the middle of nowhere or something?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

It's mostly a matter of never hearing back from anybody. My resume's been professionally worked on, but I'm thinking about getting some more help with it; I might look into having a cover letter done up for me as well. I'm not the best at interviewing (I never quite know what an interviewer is looking for) but I suppose that should come as I get more interviews.

In the meantime, I'm just wondering how to get the Big Four to listen to me; I've been advised to focus my jobsearching efforts on them but it's hard to get a word out of them.

Yeah, this sounds like a resume thing. I went from not getting callbacks to getting competing offers after a rewrite of my résumé. Was the professional that worked on your résumé specialized in accounting? If not then they might not have realized how important it is to emphasize the CPA stuff.

Also, when have you been searching? Fall is the obvious recruiting season and if you were trying to contact them in the middle of busy season then I can understand why they aren't taking your calls.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

looking mostly in the Houston area, but have expanded my search to look all over. I've talked to quite a few staffing firms in the Houston area too, and all of them say that my qualifications are really good, but they don't have any entry-level jobs. I do get an interview with some place or another every month or so (last was with Du Pont) but it never pans out, and my CPA exam credentials are all but ignored by the interviewers.

Oh. Ok. You're a bad interviewer. Interviewers already know about your CPA stuff from your résumé. They want to know you've got a good personality and wouldn't be unbearable to work with. Interviews in this field are like weird platonic okcupid first dates. Don't goon it the gently caress up.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Muffin Top posted:

Should I start cold calling if I've only taken Intro to Financial? I'll be taking Intro to Cost this semester and by next spring I should be taking Intermediate I at my local community college.

Cold calling for what? I'd think at that level you'd need a stellar GPA and some other compelling reasons (extracurriculars/honors) to even get in the basic pre-internship externship phase. I'd think if you interview well and live in an area with a lot of business then you might be able to manage an industry internship? Does your school have a job/internship fair in the fall because that's where the action is at. Cold calling at your stage would be like slamming your head against a wall.

E: I view cold calling as a last resort when you missed the internship/hiring phase towards the end of college but still have good/really good credentials. Your school should have better resources for you otherwise.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 23, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Muffin Top posted:

Cold calling for any type of a/p a/r job or something that can at least get my foot in the door. I have a year until I graduate with my associates and then transfer to a real 4 year school and complete my degree there. I live in the NYC metro area so I'd naturally assume there's a lot of firms of any type to do basic bookkeeping work I suppose. I know my school has one job fair in the fall at least and another one in the spring too.

Oh, ok. My experience with A/P A/R is that they're looking for someone to work full-time+ and will want to keep you there for the long haul or train you up into a staff position. Disclosing that you're only going to be around for a year might make that pretty tough.

Does your school have an online job posting board? There's always places that miss the big recruiting season or don't plan ahead far enough that are looking for whatever they can get during some set time period. If your previous work experience has some cash handling that you can emphasize on your resume then you might be able to get in that way. Also, GO TO YOUR JOB FAIR. Never miss a school job fair ever. No test you're taking the next day or night class you'll need to miss is ever as important as getting seen by those companies.

Honestly I think cold calling would be more discouraging than it's worth for you unless you know someone. Just keep laser focused on your school's job board (assuming there is one) and the paper/craigslist/whatever.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Last day of my internship today. In a week here I'll be starting my masters program and teaching what is roughly equivalent to an undergrad accounting lab, though it's a bit more involved than that. It's exciting but kind of scary since I've never done anything like directing a class for several hours a week on my own, especially since it's a weed out class that destroys so many non-accounting business undergrads. I'm signing up for my CPA now and basically this next year is going to be nuts.

My severance bonus from my internship was a case of beer and a $75 gift certificate for Total Wine. It was pretty thoughtful of them to get something I'd actually use.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

JohnnyPalace posted:

I can't find answers to a couple of questions regarding the 150 credit requirement to take the CPA exam:
Is there a minimum letter grade for a class to count? I got a D in a biology class a long time ago. If it can get me 4 credits closer to the 150 mark, I'll be happy.

Also, for no good reason, I passed Intro Chemistry at two different colleges a few years apart. Would both count toward my total or just one?

Those are pretty specific questions and I think you'll need to contact whatever state you plan on getting licensed in to be sure since rules vary between states.

I've always assumed it worked under the "C's get degrees" standard, though.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

So on campus interviews start in about a month for the audit firms at my school and sign ups are over the next 2 weeks. Graduating with my Masters this coming spring from a school that sees heavy recruitment from Deloitte/E&Y/PwC/Grant Thornton. I think I've got the list of cities I want to end up in pretty close to set for each company but I'm not sure how to get good information about what industries each office is heavily involved with. I want to be able to say something more meaningful than "I have family in that city and I hear it's a fun town" when asked why I want to work there. You know, something like "I'm really interested in the biotech industry that the San Diego office works with".

Is there any good resource for finding that info on individual offices? I'm mostly looking at Chicago/San Diego/Denver/Seattle if that helps at all.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Lemmi Caution posted:

I'm looking for a junior position at a CPA firm right now and feeling a bit lost. I'm familiar with a few regional firms I'm going to send resumes to, but it feels like maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. I'm worried this recruiting season is going to get away from me fast if I don't come up with a strategy immediately.

I'm a career changer, with a degree not remotely related to accounting. I'm now eligible to sit the exams and my grades in accounting subjects are excellent. I have a year and a half experience on staff at a small company.

Being that my degree was years ago, and I have been taking my accounting courses piecemeal through community colleges, I have not had the opportunity to meet any firms at career fairs or recruiting events. Unfortunately at least one firm I am interested in, Grant Thornton, seems to exclusively accept resumes through these kinds of events. It has been recommended to me to get a list of all the firms in my county (1400!) from Dunn & Bradstreet and blast my resume. That would cost about $500 and sounds like a very inefficient use of time and funds.

I'd really appreciate any advice or direction.

Do not resume blast. As someone currently going through CPA firm recruiting I can tell you all of those firms require not just resumes but also transcripts, personalized cover letters, and a separate application through whatever web service they use. Your resume would go straight into the trash at any firm you'd want to work for.

I realize you graduated a long time ago for your original degree but can you talk to their career services people? A lot of schools allow you to use their career services well past graduation.

And definitely get on it ASAP. Our on campus interviews are less than a month away and the cutoff for sign ups is within the next week.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

On campus interviews are next week and I've got interviews lined up with both EY and KPMG. No call back from Deloitte or PwC sadly. I'm so stressed out about it at the moment because I was really hoping to get my foot in the door at all 4. I talked to other people in my grad program and most of them didn't get interview offers from any of them or only got one. It seems the interview slots were really limited this year. Only one guy I know got all 4. Thankfully I'm pretty good at interviewing but I seriously just can not wait for it to be over.

Wish me luck.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Quick half-update: interview week went pretty well. 2 really good interviews and one where I kind of fumbled a question badly. My timeline is a lot different than the other people interviewing since I'm trying for offices not in the local area. One already forwarded me on and the other I'm friends with a friend of the recruiter and know my paperwork will be moving through shortly.

So hopefully I'll be flying out to those cities for second interviews sometime in the near future. That's going to be really fun and weird at the same time.

E: and a silly little side thing. At one of the preinterview dinner meetings I kept trying to talk to the partner I would interview with but some other candidate cornered him for like an hour asking questions about IFRS. It was hilarious to watch.

He did not get a call back after his interview.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 8, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Got my full time Big 4 offer for Chicago starting next summer.

:whatup:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Azrial posted:

It matters not, the charge hour god is pleased by a fresh sacrifice.

He must be appeased.

(I'd rather not say what specific firm I'm with to make me less identifiable and to not associate my random shitposting with the company)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Thanks. This last semester of my accounting program is centered around passing the exam, so I only have two very simple classes to worry about and plenty of time to study each day. Plus the Big 4 comped the Becker course so I have all their study materials to go off of.

Good luck man, you're pretty much in the same situation I'm in but I still have 5 more (easy) classes and TA work through graduation. Right now I'm looking at FAR in Feb, REG in April, then AUD and BEC in May/June with maybe one pushed back to July if I feel like some travel right after graduation.

Still have the unopened box of becker materials on my counter and every time I walk by it I think ehhhhhhhhh, tomorrow.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Lemmi Caution posted:

Once I have the application and all the transcripts in, how long should I expect to wait to hear from the California Board of Accountancy about signing up for the exam?

1-2 months if you're talking about the initial application

E: oh if you've done the initial application then pretty quick

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hoops posted:

I have an accounting question:

A gym offers a free personal training session when you sign up for a $500 annual membership. The value of the training session is $35. All the training sessions have been used by the end of the year How do you record this in the accounts?

I get you have to pro-rate the membership income for the period to the end of the financial year, but I don't see how the training session is recorded. It must be held as a liability, which is removed when the session is provided. But where does the $35 go?

Right now I'm at (say the membership was bought halfway through the year):

Initial journal entry -
(membership)
Dr Cash 500
Cr Membership sales 250
Cr Deferred income 250

(free training session)
Cr Training session owed 35
Dr Discount allowed 35

Subsequent redeeming of voucher -

Dr Training session owed 35
Cr ????

You can't reverse the discount, because you've given them a $35 service for $0. I don't work as an accountant but I do understand revenue recognition policies and debits and credits (just about).

Initial
Dr Cash 500
Cr Deferred income (membership) 465
Cr Deferred income (training) 35

Monthly
Dr Deferred income (membership) 38.75
Cr Income (membership) 38.75

When voucher redeemed
Dr Deferred income (training) 35
Cr Income (training) 35

Probably something like that?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hoops posted:

My new thought is don't record the training session at all initially. Then expense the cost as a promotional expense, and reduce your asset of "gym training", as you pass on the control of it to the customer:

Dr Promo/marketing expense 35
Cr Training sessions 35

Control of the training sessions could be thought of as a asset that generates future revenues, right? But then would it require depreciation? gently caress.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that's probably not allowed under GAAP

E: like, if you're not recording the training sessions initially then where is the training session asset (an unused service as an asset?) even coming from on the balance sheet?

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 28, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Zarin posted:

Edit: I was counseled away from an internship while completing my degree because "my work experience will show that I'm very employable" (manufacturing and customer service). I'm wondering if I should hate that guy right about now.

Almost surely.

I haven't looked too much at the market for industry coming out of undergrad but the people going into public this year coming out of grad school are making in the 50s their first year. Bigger cities are offering in the high 50s while smaller markets are on the lower end or maybe even high 40s. The 30s for anyone with a degree going directly to industry seems really low to me but that might be a function of the area you're living in as much as it is industry salary trends.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

My college program is a Big 4 farm and they made sure that all of the starting salary/bonuses/etc are essentially the same depending on location. I got a $1k bump up to match the market a few months ago so I'll be starting in the low/mid 50s without the signing bonus and CPA bonus. There was no hint of negotiation when I had my internship exit interview though.

Having received my offer in the last year and talking with 20+ people who also go their offers in the last year, everybody who signs on in a specific city gets the same starting salary as everyone else who's going to that city with maybe some minor differences in the signing bonus (but not even that really). SF, Chicago, NY, and a couple of the other major business cities are starting around 57 this year. The smaller cities are starting out in the upper 40s or maybe low 50s depending on cost of living in that area. There isn't even that much difference when you get outside of the big 4 as long as you're with a somewhat notable firm.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Due to my own negligence of my payment coupon expiration and June being a dead month, I get to take FAR 9 days after taking REG. That should be fun!

I'd be worried if my company didn't supply us with Becker. Having Becker is practically cheating

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mandalay posted:

That's quite a claim--you think it's really that good?

I think they're very good at recognizing that everyone learns better in different ways and at making sure the best of all methods are available. Like, personally, I just want to watch the lectures and then do practice problems until my eyes ache, and Becker is great at setting that up for me in a way that best prepares me for the test. Getting immediate feedback on wrong answers makes a huge difference for me.

Sure, it's not technically cheating, but it feels that way sometimes.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

That's what I did, and have done well doing, but Jesus Christ FAR has 10 Becker sections which will be a bitch to do in 9 days.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I would only start studying for FAR after taking REG. My plan is to do a section a day of REG starting on June 2. Then when I get through the reg lecture/question sections I'm going to alternate days doing reg review questions and FAR sections. Once I take reg I should only have 2 or 3 sections left in far. Then it'll just be review questions and practice tests the last few days.

I'm not that crazy

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Congratulations! Hopefully you have some time between now and your start date so you can enjoy the summer!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Bloody Queef posted:

I'm not trying to be harsh on you, but how did you get fired from a government job so quickly? And what position was it?

This is an education thing for the thread, not ripping into you.

I've heard of precisely one person not getting a job offer after an internship and apparently he sexually harassed someone on the job. Getting fired from a government job after a month too?

I don't even understand what you'd have to do to accomplish BOTH of those

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

I leave 2/3 my jobs off my résumé... Why would I include things from my prior career or retail?? Does that make my résumé dishonest? None of the résumé editors have thought so, including HR people from my company as well as my school...

There's a pretty big difference between leaving out some of the little unrelated jobs you worked at before finishing your degree and leaving out your most recent and related job.

To be clear, I think the point when you'd get in trouble would be in places other than your resume. Many firms have you fill out online forms that explicitly require you to give all of your work history for a set number of years into the past and explain any gaps. An interview question like 'what have you been doing since graduation' is extremely common. My firm (and I assume most others) contract with an outside company to run background investigations on all potential hires. Those are the points in the chain when you can really gently caress yourself trying to hide a recent termination

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

cmdrpinky posted:

Hi accounting thread. I have some questions, and could use your input.

I'll start with an overview of my situation.

I'm 25, just getting out after about ~7 years in the army, and was looking at a career in accounting. I took an acct 101 course online and it managed to keep my interest, which is why I'm considering this route.

I'm starting school at a community college in georgia this fall, through the veteran affairs vocational rehab program.

I'm interested in pursuing an AS in Business Admin, with the hope of transferring to Georgia State or University of Georgia to finish a 4 year program.

link for current program: http://www.gpc.edu/business/

This is my first visit back to school since I was 17, and I am mildly apprehensive about it all since I'm years behind the power curve and out of practice.

Questions:

How welcoming is the industry to a new non traditional grad? Is it easier or harder to get started?

Will starting at a community college hurt my chances?

What are the most common jobs for a vanilla 4 year grad vs CPA? should I even worry about that at this point?

Are entry level positions spread evenly throughout the US? Would I have an equal opportunity to start out in the southeast just coming out of school VS relocating?

What is the level of academic rigor typical for 4 year programs? Are there things that I can be doing now to help myself? Things to expect?

Does having a super high GPA significantly affect the likelyhood of getting interships/ job offers? (I would guess yes)

How do internships work with this industry? What can be expected for someone just getting started at school?

What types of people/ personalities do best in this field? What kind do you often find yourself working with?

a fair number of these questions are probably putting the cart way before the horse, but I tend to worry excessively at the outset of any large venture.

I'll take a swing at some of these in no particular order.

I returned to school at 26/27 and started in a community college before transferring to a 4 year school. I didn't even have the benefit of a good excuse like being in the army. With consistently high grades and a knack for interviewing I was able to get a job at my #1 choice big 4 firm in my #1 choice city. It's totally doable.

Entry level positions are going to be focused around major cities because that's where the companies are. If you can stay around in your area for work depends on a lot of things including what career path you want to go down.

GPA is more of a minimum requirement than something that will get you a job on its own. Most companies just use a minimum GPA as a way to cut their stack of applicants down. Work experience, participation in student orgs, and good interview skills will do more for you once you get past the ~3.5 range or so.

On that point, internships are crazy important. You should be looking for one starting early fall in your junior year if at all possible since they hire for the following summer starting then. Don't miss any campus recruiting events! This is probably going to be the hardest part if you're transferring from a community college. I didn't have a decent internship until the summer between senior year and grad school and it made things more difficult than they should have been.

On personality types you'll find yourself working with, the answer is high functioning borderline alcoholics

e: and not sure getting a AS is all that valuable and if you can get into a 4-year quicker without it than go for it. University of Georgia seems to have the better undergrad program out of the 2 you mentioned from a quick search.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 5, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

gently caress REG

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Euphoriaphone posted:

It's just a summer internship, but I've been told successful internships usually lead to full time offers. I'm not sure what to do if I do get an offer because I want to move away from the area. This firm used to be PwC, and there's a PwC office where I'd like to move. Do you think that will help me at all?

What's the general hierarchy of an accounting firm? Is it Staff > Associate > Senior > Manager > Partner > Principal?

Associate and staff are generally the same thing.

Regarding your internship, unless you gently caress things up royally then you will get an offer at the end of your internship. The rate is over 90%. That's generally for the office you're interning at, though. Either way, with a PwC internship under your belt you'll get offers almost any firm you interview with

Now, if you want to move then you need to be very clear that that is where you want to be and have a reason why you want to be there when it gets to interviews/acceptance time. The people I know who just said things like "I want to move to a big city" without being specific generally did not get offers. Also, get an idea for the size and competitiveness of the office you're looking at. Places like San Francisco and San Diego are hard to get into because they have low turnover and people want to be there.

Good luck. I hope you're able to get what you're looking for

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

And so the month of CPA exams begins. Two days until REG. Nine days later is FAR. Two weeks after that is BEC. Finished AUD in May.

Good times

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

JohnnyPalace posted:

Would I be crazy to try to pass all 4 sections within a two-month period? I will be finished with my educational requirements by mid-September, and I'm considering taking the exam sections this October and November. I see Good Citizen is planning on doing something similar, but I am guessing this is far from normal. I am not currently working in accounting, but hope to get a full-time job at a CPA firm before next busy season (if not, I guess I'll do another internship) and I'm trying to figure out whether it would be worth it to try to get everything passed while I am not working as many hours, or if I should spread it out over more time. Any advice?

Two months is doable if you're doing literally nothing else and have good study tools. I know someone who did 2 weeks for each exam and passed them all on the first try, so it can happen. It all depends how you plan for REG and FAR, really. Two weeks of study time for REG and three for FAR should probably be seen as the minimum, so you can take a day off here and there when you start yearning for the release of death. So yeah, doable, but you will hate yourself for it.

Just got out of REG an hour ago. Don't feel so great about it. If I passed it was probably pretty close. I never noticed a jump in difficulty between testlets but it can be hard to tell sometimes. Sims were easy of course. Worst part was after finishing the test and survey my screen went blank and I sat around for 20 minutes while the people at the testing center kept resetting the system to try to get the results to submit. I thought they were going to tell me it hosed up and I'd need to reschedule. Thankfully it seems to have gone through eventually.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Less than 40k as a Big 4 staff 2 seems outrageous to me. Even the people from my school who went to small firms in smaller cities are making more than that as a first year. Big 4 in cities with a large business market are making more than one and half times that as first years including signing bonuses.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Euphoriaphone posted:

...according to the marketing officer of internships.com

Anyway, I'm going into the Fall recruiting season with a 3.33 GPA and two semesters to graduate. The only reason my GPA is so "low" is I've only taken 39 credits at my school (State University), and 6 of those credits are Fs due to my stupid teenage self (the rest of my credits are transferred, so they don't count towards my university GPA). How much will that hurt me in interviewing with a Big Four firm? My last two semesters have been 4.0 (and my ACC GPA is 4.0)? I finish an auditing internship in a few weeks with a very large local firm (used to be a Big Four firm 10 years ago).

You'll be fine. Emphasize your major GPA on resumes and in conversations but be prepared with a good response when they ask about your overall. 3.3 isn't even that unreasonably low. Your biggest concern will be if a firm uses a minimum GPA on their supplemental online application as a way to cut down the number of applicants.

Also, like with most jobs, being known by people at the firm can get you through a lot of problems that could otherwise sink you. Meet the firms events help, but knowing classmates that already got offers and are volunteering at the event is even better, since they can direct you to the right people and put in a good word.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Sy Borg posted:

BEC score should be released tomorrow. I came out of the exam not feeling bad but also not feeling like I hit a home run, so here's hoping the curve was kind to me. Has anyone else felt this way?

Yes, everyone, on every CPA test ever.

Besides the ones people knew they failed.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Remember how I was taking FAR 9 days after REG? Passed both

:whatup:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

himurak posted:

Congratulations. Want to do mine now? I've been studying for 2 months for FAR and feel like I'm going to forget how to do accounting as soon as I sit down.

I'm sure you'll be fine if you've spent that much time. The only stuff on there that you might not have seen in undergrad would be gov/nonprofits and maybe some pension stuff.

That said, I was absolutely sure I failed until I logged in today and saw my scores. Now to just finish up BEC so I've got the whole group of 4 done before I start my new job.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

So I have gotten in contact through my schools career services department with a couple of recruiters, I have sent Glen Thorton recruiter my resume and an unofficial transcript, while in two weeks when I get back to Portland I will have coffee with a recruiter from Ernst and Young.

However I did find out that my GPA isn't a 3.0 like it said on my last transcript apparently it is down to a 2.97 :bang: seriously just round up. On the plus side I have since my freshman year brought up my GPA from a 2.4 to the 2.97 and this year if I keep on track I should get it up to a 3.2 - 3.3 or so maybe 3.5-3.6 by the time I graduate.

I assume you mean Grant Thornton? Good people at that company but good luck navigating their recruiting. At my school they screwed up and auto rejected the entire applicant pool and when they corrected that they let accepted candidates know 4 days late. After being approved for second round interviews they finally got back to me weeks after I already accepted a big 4 offer to let me know that they set me up for a second interview in the city I wanted to move to, but I'd need to pay for the travel and hotel myself. Ha.

Still not as funny as KPMG (I think) that accidentally sent every single applicant an invite to the pre-interview dinner/drinks gathering, whether or not they were accepted.
:lol:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

An accountant is one of the career choices that interest me. Tell me if I shouldn't bother.

I studied International Relations, which does not offer a direct path to employment, though I feel it gave me a really good basis for plenty of fields.

How do you find the rules that need memorisation? Are they the kind of rules you can often reason out (with exceptions, of course), or are they byzantine and you have to memorise everything? Here's the thing: I am terrible at memorisation, but yet I really enjoy working with numbers. I was by far the best in my course at statistics, micro and macroeconomics and was near the top with public finance. I never studied though. I memorised some rules, but for the most part I reasoned them out, and it all came very intuitively and naturally to me. But I am absolutely atrocious when it comes to sitting down and studying, and it's a huge struggle to memorise anything.

Am I right in thinking that means I'm screwed in this field? Or is an affinity with numbers enough to offset that?

I memorize almost nothing. Most everything can be reasoned out once you understand the basics, but getting a good understanding of the basics takes a good deal of practice.

None of this applies to Tax/REG which is almost purely memorization and knowing how to find stuff in the authoritative literature

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

There are community colleges that have 8 week online classes that begin every Monday these days. You could sign up for a few easy rear end classes, start next Monday, and have 150 by the middle of October.

Scan your transcripts to be extra-sure first, but if you find out the worst, get in there and get it done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

You're probably underestimating the time it will take the licensing board to approve your application. It is far from an instant process. You can sign up for classes today and start next Monday and probably be done or almost done by the time your application gets approved.

When looking for classes make sure to check resources like ratemyprofessor for a preview of how people who took the class felt. You will probably have time to study for one test on addition to the classes by the time your test approval goes through, depending on your work schedule.

Remember the board doesn't test in September anyway.