Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Tiax Rules All posted:

Is there a distinct hierarchy among masters accounting programs? Will employers still be willing to hire me if I get a degree from some random sketchy (but accredited) program?

I would just go to a state school program, it will only be a year possibly two years if you do not have an undergraduate degree in accounting. My masters was 12k for the one year program at a large state school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Silber posted:

Could anyone describe for me what the first few days will even be like? I've never had workterms with a firm before (all my related work experience is from managing a small business for four years, handling all the bookkeeping and accounting through SAGE products). I really don't know what to expect save for that they'll be giving me review and compilation files with little to no instruction and I'm to begin by working on them with whomever had the files the previous year.

Any hot tips or tricks I could know that maybe you wish you knew when any of you first started?

I hope you won't be thrown to a review immediately, i wouldn't wish that on any new hire. A compilation may sound more realistic. Realistically don't be shy to ask questions but if you have some idea what you are doing accumulate them and ask them all at once when you have gotten as far as you can on the workpaper. Don't be terrified that you don't know what the hell is going on, this is natural, nobody does their first four months at a minimum. School has prepared you for the fundamentals of accounting, it has taught you very little about how your job will actually work.

I know that wasn't very specific but i don't want to write a huge long post. I have PMs if you have specific questions. I don't work for a big 4 however i work for a top 15 firm and my experience is pretty much exclusively audit related.

If you don't drink, i hope you are rather nuts.

Azrial fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 9, 2012

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

It's strange, but I never get asked questions that even come close to being related to the details of accounting. Granted, it's been awhile since I interviewed with an actual CPA firm, as opposed to with an industrial position's HR manager who asks nothing more than the boilerplate questions and "this job involves <something stupidly easy>, are you okay with doing that?"

Do you know anything about sports, you can just talk sports the entire time during a public interview. I never talked about anything other than college football or movies. The interview is to determine if they can work with you and if you are socially competent enough to be put in front of clients. They will teach you the rest.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Audax posted:

Some friends of mine are setting up a small nonprofit to try and get help some students around here in this local area. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good (preferably free/low-cost) software I could use to keep track of stuff? Right now we've got $100 in our account and won't get started with fundraising for a month but I would like to see what's out there once this thing starts going.

Something that can keep track of donors/grants/expenses/etc would be awesome down the road. I've only really used Peachtree for classes and some other work stuff, but my main job is tax so I'm not too knowledgable about software options.

Quickbooks? Trying to track non profit stuff the way you would hope will likely be a pain, non tiny non profits pretty much universally use financial edge. You can also look into a company called good done great, they are a small startup off the top off my head which is trying to enter software as a service for non profits.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Nexus88 posted:

Hi guys,

I know this may have been asked a few pages ago, but I wasn't entirely sure if it was answered. I graduated with a Bachelor's in business management and quickly realized that it wasn't for me and decided to go into accounting. I have decided to go back to school to pursue the CPA track for my state(Hawaii), which requires 24 credits of upper division accounting classes and so I have decided to take them ala carte.

However, I want to ask what would be my chances of being able to find a job in say, Big 4(or rather, any CPA firm for that matter?) with my current credentials? I have decided not to pursue my second degree in Accounting but will be completing the accounting courses by next Spring.

Are my chances hurt that badly if I decide to take only the accounting courses?

As long as you have enough hours to sit for the cpa exam it shouldn't be a big deal. A lot of firms are starting to shift towards requiring a master's in accounting however.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

fuseshock posted:

Which of the Big 4 has hired you to be their slave?

It matters not, the charge hour god is pleased by a fresh sacrifice.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Lemmi Caution posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the review courses as well. I will be self-studying no matter which I choose (no live classes), but I would appreciate specifics of what anyone liked about any particular course, or anything that you feel sets it apart. I'm considering all options from the dirt cheap up to Becker.

And here's a survey of courses on Going Concern. Informative but drawn from a limited pool of respondents.

I've used both if it is your money I wouldn't waste it on Becker. The multiple choice questions are your biggest study tool and they all roughly come from the same place. If it is firm money let them hand you Becker.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

gmilo posted:

Do you have to deal with financial reporting much? Are you at a publicly traded company? If not, you might want to pass on the CPA... and if you don't deal with SOX who cares about the CIA? The CMA sounds like it could add value for you.

I personally don't see the value in a CMA unless you work for a manufacturing company but I've only dealt with it in passing.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

ThirdPartyView posted:

Congrats! It's (IMO) the hardest section, so you're well on your way! :v:

Depends on whether you are more of an audit or tax guy. Reg was brutal to get through for me personally.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

Found an entire Becker CPA study guide kit by the trash can so I snatched it up.

It’s from 2011 though. Should I just go put it back?

Rules have likely not changed enough you couldn't pass using it. That's after I passed, look up new rev rec and leases? That's about it? Reg side may be more problematic, just buy the Gleim for that section.

Honestly just buy Gleim, unless things have changed it's horrifically cheaper than Becker. All you need is the MCQs, run through around 1,200 to 2,000 per part and pass.

Azrial fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 4, 2021

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Epitope posted:

How hard is it for y'all to hang out a shingle? Am I naive to think all you need is a computer and some software?

Make sure you are properly and adequately insured. You will need professional liability insurance if you gently caress up.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Annointed posted:

OKAY BUT CAN I AT LEAST FINISH MY CMA EXAMS FIRST

No one cares about a CMA, they never have.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

If someone had told me to focus on internal controls reviews and recommending control frameworks to clients, I would have lasted a lot longer in public accounting. Testing controls is for suckers, stick to the theoretical stuff.

Testing controls is just an excuse to get out of doing any actual audit work. Everyone does it and it's such horseshit. Audit quality has gotten so much worse even in the decade since I left.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Stoop Kid posted:

I’m a decade out from passing, but I would take them hardest-first assuming that the expiration timer is still in effect once you pass an exam. In my day, that was FAR, then REG/AUD, then BEC. I used Becker, and I would just grind multiple choice test banks from prior exams. I actually saw several of those old questions appear on the exam, and got free points as a result. You’re not stupid, but it is a grind.

I used Gleim rather than Becker cause Becker is insanely more expensive. Most CPAs will tell you that they just did multiple choice questions until their eyes bled, so they are all pulling from the same prior test questions. If you really love watching videos then Becker is for you, I didn't find it helpful (I used Becker my first run when my firm paid for it).

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

19 o'clock posted:

Likewise! Cushy cozy would be nice but interesting is better. If anyone needs an accountant who can program hmu

If you know SQL and teach yourself PowerBI someone will hire you.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

19 o'clock posted:

Debits on the left
Credits on the right

Boom. Done.

Receiving cash is always a debit, substitute cash into any transaction for the cash equivalent. If you can learn that you are better than pretty much most accountants and accounting students.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

Something strange is happening. After years in the “eh close enough” operational reporting world, I’m getting the itch to get back into the land of debits and credits. Someone talk me out of it. Or hype up your accounting role if you want.

Don't? You got out, stay out.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Nea posted:

What should I be doing so that hopefully I won't have 6 months of unemployment before landing something? Ideally I'd like to get something where I don't have to do overtime.

I assume almost everyone here came out of the wake of 2008, so it's a different perspective. There is an accounting shortage right now you'll be fine. Apply for staff accountant jobs in industries you want to work in long term. As far as overtime, if you don't want to advance past senior accountant that's fine, if you want to grow your career it's still an old school mentality. People like me are trying to change it but fighting the mentality that working long hours is important for management isn't going well.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

I’m desperately trying to move from being a CFO to a COO?

Smart man or woman, a CFO is a dog that caught the car.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Xom posted:

Hello, layman here. I'm involved in dissolving a LLC, and a counterparty wants me to make a declaration that the LLC has no assets or liabilities left, and have a CPA or attorney certify the declaration. Who do I ask? My roommate speculates that H&R block is cheapest.

(The LLC has a simple history with only six transactions: The initial funding, a financial asset purchase, two bill payments, sale of the asset, and returning money to the owner. It's a single-member LLC that hasn't had to file its own taxes.)

Ask if an attorney can draft a document that the owner signs stating there are no assets and liabilities. It will probably need to include an indemnification of some type. It's gonna get far more complicated if they won't accept that, the liabilities part is the problem.

I'm assuming this is a divorce? Why is someone requesting it if it's a single member LLC being dissolved?

Azrial fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 19, 2023

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Audax posted:

Usually when it's like that the posting is from a recruiter. They don't want you to Google the company and apply directly there. That way they get the agreed-upon amount for referring you, which is usually a % of your salary if you stay for X amount of time.

Yeah, just email them your resume, once they slap their header on it, they will be happy to tell you who it is. It won't affect your search other than recruiters are annoying and pretty useless unless you are doing a passive search or in a very niche industry.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Zarin posted:

Without knowing your work situation, I have to imagine it really just comes down to how much bigger the new paycheck would be.

Accounting is quickly becoming supply constrained, as soon as you nerds start fighting back on new jobs the sooner things will change. I'm seeing companies offer 110k for a senior accountant with 3-5 years experience and then companies offering 150k for a CFO. Our industry is deranged in how people think of us and adjustments need to be made. Negotiate work from home that makes you comfortable or ask for more money.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

a senior accountant who is an expert in something complex and technical like Sox or valuation or handling futures and swaps for international orgs that have to consolidate.

No there's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Annointed posted:

Work in general

The human error rate is 4 percent. This is why as a former auditor I sometimes hate random sampling procedures that lead to more samples if one error is found. Write down major instructions, there is nothing worse than being asked how to do something for the third time. I always tell my staff make mistakes, there is nothing you can do I can't fix and ultimately it's my mistake if it matters. You only learn by making mistakes, being terrified to make them will hurt your career more than anything.