Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is it insane to give staff members letter grades on tax returns they prepare? I've been measuring performance by number but like, some people can do a lot of returns kind of badly. I'm thinking something like:

A: Return approved to send to client with no notes
B: Return has minor errors only
C: Significant errors but not something we'd get an insurance claim on
D: Inexcusable understatement or overstatement of liability by greater than 25%
F: We'd go to jail if we filed this what are you doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The most successful tax practice I ever worked for was started by people who were not really accountants. One of them got an EA along the way but neither of them ever did tax returns. They had money and marketing know how, and the company appeared to be doing really well. Honestly they were pretty good bosses at it goes. But, that fact did play a part in me leaving when I got an offer at a similar firm where the bosses were actually in the trenches, so to speak.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

No, I started like five+ years in, they were already thriving.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I probably wouldn't leave stable, decent employment for that, but if you're currently unemployed or your current job sucks rear end in some way, I'd consider it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PatMarshall posted:

wish I knew someone in the middle market who could handle international planning for a reasonable rate.

You do, it's me!

And I agree with your inclination towards limitada and check the box, fwiw.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Congrats my guy!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Congrats!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear a challenge to the constitutionality Section 965. Lol. Lmao.

Edit: I guess cert was granted a few months ago but it's news to me.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ungratek posted:

I’ve filed a few protective claims for that at a few grand a pop

Yeah, I gotta get on that. As if I don't have enough headaches.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The good news is that in about 3 years, lack of internship and lovely grades don't matter, at least not too much. You'll be An Experienced Hire. The bad news is that it does make things more difficult for you in terms of like, campus recruiting at Big 4 (I think).

If you're desperate and you don't mind doing tax work, get an EA license before the end of the year. It's not that hard. Buy the Passkey book and study for it. In January you'll be an EA with an accounting degree, and there will be a bunch of low level tax job opportunities for you. I would strongly encourage going for like, small shop local accountants and not stuff like Jackson Hewitt or HR Block, if possible. I'd definitely take a chain like that over like, retail or not working at all, though.

From there get the cheapest CPA course you can find and from April 16, 2024 through December 31, 2024, study your rear end off and get most or all of the CPA parts done. The CPA exam plus a season of experience in tax should open even more doors for you, and if you're personable and able to network, you'll be golden.

Nea posted:

I have to admit I'm hardly truly in love with accounting- i just like it well enough and that's what my degree ended up being in.

Yeah that's everyone. Nobody loves accounting. Nobody should love accounting. But you mostly get to work sitting down in an air conditioned office and you can afford rent. So it beats most other kinds of drudgery.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Congrats!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Gabriel Grub posted:

All of the feverish right wing stereotypes about the IRS are actually true of the California FTB.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I love when the FTB tells an NRA who spent a semester studying in CA that he needs to prove he wasn't in California for the last twenty years.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Definitely take the job if you get it. FTB sucks for us but I bet it's a good job.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sounds much more appropriate than the last position, congrats!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My cursor is like 5x regular size and bright green. My 30 year old business partner makes fun of me but it helps so much.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I am pissed at Ultratax and I kinda want to switch to Drake for 1/10th of the cost. After season, though.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

a) should i be looking for an accountant in my new state? for context, my two, full-time, remote jobs are in nyc and ca, but i live in az. my current accountant is in nyc. they charge $600 to handle my taxes each year. i like them and they have all of my records, but am willing to move if this relationship no longer makes financial sense for me.

b) should i file separately or should we file jointly? i've seen differing advice here. in all, i make ~$274k/yr, whereas she was making $90k/yr before she left in april 2023. now, she's basically just doing a side-gig at $35/hr.

You might not need an accountant at all, but if you continue to have one I'd probably keep the NY accountant. NY state taxes are marginally more complicated than most other states, so I'd guess the NY guy could figure out your AZ resident return more easily than an AZ guy could figure out an NY non-res return. Also you've got a certain percent chance to just get a guy who doesn't know anything, or spends time on forums instead of answering client emails, or whatever, if you switch.

Your accountant should be able to quickly and easily do a report showing you the difference between MFJ and MFS as it applies to your situation. MFJ makes more sense most of the time but general advice doesn't always give the best results for specific situations. I would guess that MFJ would still make most sense for you but it's easy to check the actual numbers.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Annointed posted:

Forced to leave work
Now in hospital
Can't seem to walk or stand.
Paranoid about losing my job.

Spine is more important than job. I am sorry you're going through this. Focus on your health. You can get new jobs but not new spines.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nea posted:

Well, the tax season is ending and I've procrastinated too long on applying for jobs. I did quite like tax prep work, and they're keeping me on part time after the season is over, but I need full time work to pay my bills.

Does anyone know anyone in the South Bay Area (San Jose and surrounding environs) who's hiring that might be willing to take a shot on someone with low levels of experience? I can provide a good recommendation from my current workplace, which seems quite happy with me.

I PM'd you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

One time I tried to file an extension with a $4,000 payment but I accidentally processed it with a $40,000 payment.