Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think i was pretty much in the same situation as you about 9 months ago though i didn't have a professional degree. I ended up going back to school for a MAcc and so far i'm really liking it. Obviously like everything, school depends on the teacher and I've had some great ones and some bad ones. I knew that i wanted to go into public before I started so i put a lot of emphasis on getting a co op/internship early in the program and I got a summer internship with a big 4 firm which i'm very excited about. I didn't start working so i can't really tell you about the day to day activities that go into being an accountant but i have a good idea of what it's like enough to know that it's not for everyone. My internship is going to be in audit so I know that i'll be working in a small team at the client location and that i'll probably be handling smaller parts of larger audits to start out with.

Hellfire, why aren't you exploring other ways to use your law degree? Even though going back to school worked out for me, it's time consuming and expensive and you might get out in no better shape than you are right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellblazer187 posted:

are internships ever paid? Or are they ever part time? I'm unemployed right now, but if I ever got a paid job I'd have a hard time giving it up for an unpaid full time internship.

Most, if not all, internships in accounting are paid and schools make it pretty easy for you to do them by working with the company you're working for and making sure you can get your school work in while you're working. You usually get credit too.

Also if you're really serious about getting a career going in accounting (or any other field) you HAVE to do an internship. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish by taking a crappy full time job instead of an internship that could lead to a real career job.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Yeah, I don't get it either. They even stick a 3-month internship in the middle. (guaranteed)

Does the prestige of a Masters of Accounting school matter?

I disagree with the guy who says it matters. Sometimes it even helps to be a big fish in a small pond. I'm just finishing up a MAcc at a mediocre at best (but an AACSB accredited) school and there are about 15 people in the program who landed jobs with big 4's (including myself) out of a class of about 50. It's just the people who are on the ball about internships and co-op's.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

hellboundburrito posted:

Mine was good until this week. I was averaging about 55 hours a week, but my new client is fairly complicated and our entire recurring team quit (except for the partner) so it's a brand new team now. So far it's shaping up to be a pretty horrendous job and I'm sure my hours will look more typical from here on out (I'm guessing 8am-11pm M-Th, 8:30am-7pm Friday, 9am-6pm Saturday and working from home on Sundays).

80 hours plus working from home sundays... No wonder they quit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

subversiveasset posted:

Ah, so instead of audit ("the goal of an audit is to get to an opinion," was the first thing my audit professor says on the first day of the semester...), the goal of tax is simply to get to...a return. I guess this should be obvious.

But actually, your answer helped a lot. Even research would help. I just didn't know if things would always feel like autopilot.

If you're going into tax you should be thinking more about tax planning than just filling out a return. Anyone making 7.50 an hour at H and R Block can fill out a return.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

If you want a real Big 4 internship experience, go for the spring semester. I worked 70+ hour weeks, and I think it was 32 days straight.

And you'll make bank in overtime.

got dat wmd posted:

I honestly can't believe all the big four pampering. I had an intern this summer who told me she got an offer last summer from PwC I think for being there something like 8 weeks total working tax but spending half the time playing "team building" games and retarded Disney stuff. I don't know how you can be properly evaluated during all that.

I get it that it's a pr move to encourage these young kids to talk up the firm and hide the reality of the job but I'd be hesitant to hire any junior Associate that came out of a Big 4 recently now since it says up front that work didn't turn out to be playtime for them.

Summer Internships are MUCH more about judging personality and how well you fit in in a team workplace environment than it is about seeing if you have any accounting skills or know anything. Our summer interns have no work to do half the time anyway since that's probably our slowest time of the year. They do the "fun" stuff so they accept their offers but most of these kids know what they are getting themselves into working for a big 4 and if the team they work with over the summer aren't complete assholes they always have those conversations with the intern.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 22, 2013

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tomahawk posted:

I'm 26 years old and I have been wrestling with the idea of going back to school for a masters in accounting (my bachelors degree was in business). I was very strong in the accounting classes I took and I feel I made a big mistake not majoring in it.

Does anyone have a similar experience with going back to school for accounting? Would going to the Big 4 be out of the question at this point since I wouldn't be able to intern most likely? Am I already screwed?

I did the exact thing you want to. I was just a few years younger but it's very possible. And you can definitely intern. We had an intern this summer who was in his late 40s and had gone back to school.

Harry posted:

Really? I was under the impression they wouldn't look at you unless you could sit for the CPA. Do most states not require 150 hours?

You're correct. They are no longer hiring people who don't have the 150.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Muffin Top posted:

I realized my state has the rule where you just need 120 credits to sit and take the exam but in order to be granted your licence you need 150 credits. Is that still ok or should I be aiming at fulfilling the rest of those credits instead?

Yeah, I would do everything you can to get the 150 even in 120 states. My state is a 150 state but from what I've heard they are all going in that direction.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Did anyone here leave a Big 4 after making senior and before manager?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Michael Corleone posted:

The internship didn't result in a job offer, that is all. As far as the job with the government the reason I got fired won't matter because I remember the paperwork saying that since I was in my 1st year probationary period they wouldn't make a record of the reason I got fired. Either way, the reason was BS, part my fault, part theirs.

As far as in the short term, even a job at H&R Block would have a CPA who could sign off on my experience forms, right?
You might be able to get away with not putting the government job on your resume. That looks really bad...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Just curious if anyone here was able to get out of accounting/finance and how that went.....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone get to mid career doing accounting and loving hate it but there are no career switches you can make that would pay you anywhere near what you're making in the job you hate? lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

I’m desperately trying to move from being a CFO to a COO?

Not sure what that would even look like haha. I'm a mid level finance guy in a huge organization and I just hate it and want to do something very different but I'm in my late 30s and don't have the financial flexibility to go back to school and not work for a few years. I literally want to do anything but accounting/finance for the rest of my life.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nonexistence posted:

Yeah, is this a career issue or a this employer issue?

It's a career issue. My job is perfectly fine. I'm hybrid 2-3 days a week in the office and my co workers and boss are all fine and I have decent work life balance. The work is just really boring and i'm pretty mid at it and I can't see any finance/accounting job being much better.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

I’m curious what you think would be significantly improved in another career path? I mean being a mid level office guy in all the other paths I’ve seen doesn’t seem much better. The early/public stages of the accounting career are a nightmare but after that it’s mostly like every other soul draining job in our capitalist system, with maybe some more excel than the other options.

i don't want to be a midlevel office guy anymore. thats the main issue so i think the other jobs you'd have in mind wouldn't be any better. I'm on the industry side though, not public accounting.