Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I'm going to install Drake and put new, simple clients on it. It only takes 4 paying clients to make the cost worth it versus Proconnect, and it comes with 10 filings included.

I'll keep the old/complex clients on Proconnect for now to minimize the pain of learning new software while getting a feel for if Drake is for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

knox posted:

As a real estate accountant not a tax accountant I still pay someone else to do my taxes, just got call from new tax people I'm using because my brother did. I'm getting no refund besides like $60 for 2022, and somehow I owe money for 2021. In the past guy I used got me $3k+ on a return, and before that got nice returns of thousands of dollars. I'm not making over $89k to enter a new tax bracket or anything ($85k at the moment) so I can't really think why I wouldn't get any refund at all. His bullshit explanation for 2021 was I worked two different jobs (I left a position and took the higher paying one I am still at now) and something about the withholding.

Anybody here able to punch out a super basic return for me to see if these people are valid or should I just use TurboTax or someshit myself to confirm.

I don't get a chance to say my honest opinion of this kind of thinking in real life, so thanks to SA I get to tell you that you have a baby's brain.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It sounds like you don't even know how much your taxes were, because you just talk about how much the refund is; the jangling keys of the adult world.

There's a chance he's being rude to you because he wants you to go away. It's very common in the tax prep industry, and it works.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

I got burned on this for BEC when Gearty or whoever recommended to read through the more niche economic concepts, but focus intense study time elsewhere because they’re historically a small percentage of the MC questions. A majority of my second MC module was economic math questions.

Still passed, but the wait for results was way more stressful than I thought it would be based on BECs reputation at the time.

The questions ramp up in difficulty if you are doing well, but the score weights this. It's a good sign if you start getting difficult/obscure questions.

I knew FAR was going well when pension accounting questions started showing up.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I don't understand the point of "discipline" or "coaching" like it's a middle school. Either this person has potential to be a valuable part of the team and you train them up where they're deficient, or I guess it's just a step toward letting them go. As if accounting grads grow on trees these days.

A person mentioned earlier that they got fired from an internship. That is insane; interns are supposed to be learning, any productivity they create is incidental.

What the gently caress is wrong with the industry these days?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Yeah, sounds like incompetent management to me.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Zoeb posted:

I have an interview Tuesday with the California Franchise tax board as a tax auditor

Ask if you get the horns and pitchfork on the first day, or if you have to complete training first.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Zoeb posted:

I take it you have not had good experiences with this organization

All of the feverish right wing stereotypes about the IRS are actually true of the California FTB.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Man, I'm so glad I get to do the kind of accounting where I help small and medium business owners stay compliant and plan for the future.

It's often tedious but you actually get some appreciation and satisfaction from what you do.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Zarin posted:

Quite possibly the lamest question ever, but are there any Accounting-focused (or even just -related) podcasts that are worth anything?

I have a long (very long) drive coming up, and if I can spend any of it pretending to be even remotely productive that'd be a win.

I'd narrow it down further but that's probably already narrow enough haha

Not joking, "The Accounting Podcast."

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Audits are mainly done by 22 year olds who have never booked an actual live transaction in their life.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It's funny because auditing is totally broken, and the only solution on the horizon (AI) would only make it super duper worse.