Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm curious to know, based on a wander through some of the chincare links and whatnot, do any of you with Chinchillas actually let them watch TV as a distraction?

Also every single picture in this thread is adorable and makes me miss my old guinea pigs. Best little lawnmowers I ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alucinor posted:

PS if you want to drive down to Chapel Hill this week I'll give you a pair of intact, unbonded rear end in a top hat males who like to climb out of their cages to terrorize one another.

Gotta give the little fellows points for determination, that's for sure

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awesome Kristin posted:

If you want to read more about chinchilla stuff from us, go ahead and click the question mark under my name as well as Aquatic Giraffe's name and read the posts we've made in this thread. We've made some replies to other people asking about chinchillas in the past.

How is Charlie coping on his own, by the way? Poor little fellow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awesome Kristin posted:

I can tell he has a lot more energy than before. Also, before I got Oscar, Charlie used to really enjoy scratches behind his ears and on his chest. As soon as Oscar came along he seemed to stop enjoying it so much. Now I can tell he really wants attention because he resists those things a lot less and is actually accepting attention again. He's a little but more intense with his people-watching.

Based on this thread, I'd never have thought of Chinchillas as quiet staring animals.
I guess they find you all more fascinating then the stuff in their cages?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

He wants to eat my soul!
:gonk:

(That's Dexter, I presume, based on your earlier comments?)

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Yes, yes it is. He's stares much more than Smokey. He's also a lot friendlier.

That is still one terrifying picture. Does he stop being all quiet and staring once he's getting attention?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pew! Pew! posted:

My hamsters and guinea pigs both have had the same issue. I'm pretty sure it's just a reactive "oh god my feet are off the ground I'm gonna die" thing that some of them have worse than others. Even my rats have it to some degree but as soon as you plop them on a shoulder, they're calm as can be.

Yeah, that's a typical response to The HANDS. Rodents don't like being picked up, as it tends to mean they're about to become dinner for something in the wild.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Goondolences, furu. :sympathy: How's your other Chinnie coping with the loss? Give her lots of scritches and attention.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 4, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cat with hands posted:

Man the cage is quiet with Kuro gone. There's no (loud) wheeking, chewing on the bars or fighting at all. Just two very chill boars getting along.

I guess he was the herds designated troublemaker?

That black pig reminds me of the one I used to have :3: (though he had a white stripe down his face). Errol wasn't a troublemaker though, he was just a wheeking slut for attention and veggies. I miss that little guy :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Guineapigs need dapper british names for maximum adorable-ness :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Hamsters can gently caress each other up in seconds if they so choose. And you'll have a bastard of a time separating them before they do some serious damage. The day I separated the momma and daughter was the day I went over to say hi, they both came up to the glass, look at each other, and then just fuckin' WENT AT IT, teeth bared, squeaking loudly, and one took a few good bites out of the other's shoulder before I managed to separate them.

Syrians are solitary and don't seem to enjoy anyone's company for very long. It's sad, but that's their disposition.

How is your little Hamster family now? Any chance of more pictures?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

I took all five of the Hamster Family out for pictures. Some were not happy about it, others were TOO happy about it, and one of the cream colored boys was completely indifferent and bored about it.

http://imgur.com/a/x5siy

Some of the flash shots make it look like they've got mange or something, that's not the case, they've all got very thick fur. There's a non-flash and flash subsequent shot of one hamster that shows what I mean.

Also, I got a shot of the little girl was licking my mousepad for whatever reason, and Chip took a distinct interest in the mouse itself. :3:

I've never seen hamsters with scruffy hair like that, I thought all breeds had smooth fur. Learn something every day, I guess. They're all adorable :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pardalis posted:

Fatly hamster needs to run.

Is... is that hamster throwing a gang sign? Have you been letting Paul Bunham hang with a bad crowd? :ohdear:

I love the hammy-sized furniture :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kluliss posted:

Does anyone have any experience of taking piggies for walks - there're loads of untreated green areas (yes I'll be careful not to let them eat just any old thing) nearby and I'm thinking that when the weather's not being ridiculously cold, I'd like to take them for exploring walks.

edit: misunderstood what you meant by untreated. A nice clean lawn or garden is a great place for piggy adventures. Just make sure they can't get too far away, and bring treats.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 25, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kluliss posted:

as in no pesticides - I don't have a lawn myself and didn't want to have to get a pet carrier out in order to cart them around, was hoping to be able to walk them short distances to grassy places and let them have a mooch around. I would definitely bring treats though, reinforce that walkies are good :D

Yeah, I figured that out two seconds after what I originally wrote :doh:. That's definitely fine. My old boys used to love running around the back lawn wheeking their heads off between mowing the grass and exploring under the flowerbeds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Apparently Dexter is so intimidating that my 40 pound dog is terrified of him, and considers any toy that goes in the vicinity of his cage as a lost cause :doh: Dexter has no fear, he'll punch the dogs in the nose through his cage bars. The dogs no longer even sniff the chinchilla cages because they know they'll get punched with tiny fists of fury. :black101:

Considering Dexter looks like this

Maybe your dog's on to something. Pretty sure that's a face of fuzzy evil right there.

That said though, the idea of a chinchilla bopping a dog at least five times his size with tiny fists is kinda awesome and adorable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kluliss posted:

I think I was a bit silly...the collective noun for Guinea-Pigs is a 'Panic' isn't it?

The pigs needed a bath due to being annoying mounty boys after we changed the cage layout (also any tips for getting dried goo out short of shaving them because I made this face when I discovered crustiness and it still isn't gone completely despite the bath :gonk:), so me, thinking to myself 'well they're sort of herd animals so maybe it'd be less stressful if I bath them together.'

...I was so wrong...for a little while it was fine, Ozzy was accepting bean-sprouts as bribes...then Dio decided he wanted out of the sink, which set Ozzy off and suddenly I had a sink full of furious Guinea-Pig which honestly, if I hadn't been worried they'd get out and fall, I'd have been laughing my arse off.

However, they're now happy in their cage after some good run-around floor time, and they've munched their way through some Excel Herbage, thank you Octopuppets for the link :) It smells amazing, they love it, and honestly, £12 for 3kg isn't too bad given that it's not poo poo and I want my piggies happy and well-fed, and am lucky enough to be able to afford it for them. It may get interspersed with slightly less amazing hay if they go through it too quickly, and I really need a hay rack because I can't monitor how much they're eating versus the stuff they're smooshing into their bedding, but I really do recommend it if you can afford it.

I am finding that now that we're giving them floor time and basically bullying them with cuddling, grooming and food, they're getting a little less skittish. The do love to rearrange their cages though :downs:

I leave you with a picture of freshly washed and dried monsters, see how fierce they are after shaking and fluffing themselves up as much as possible :3

(dio on the left, ozzy on the right)

Now this is just eerie. Your pair of guinea pigs look almost exactly like mine did. The only difference is the black pig had a white stripe down his nose and a spot at the top of his head, and the brown one didn't have the white patch on his cheek. Though I've never seen guinea pigs get outright angry about being bathed, even when done together. Usually there's indignant wheeking in the sink and it generally ends with a pair of wet pigs giving a "why did you do this to me? :qq:" look as I dried them off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cuntvalet posted:

I decided to put off the guinea-getting from this weekend (since I only have a one day weekend this week) and do the pick up on Thursday (next weekend I have a three day weekend so it'll mean more time to adapt to eachother, etc.). That means this week is building and collecting go time.

A few questions:

Do guinea pigs climb? Is it okay to put them in a pen as opposed to a cage or does that guarantee the Great Guinea Escape?

The only time a guinea pig will climb anything is up a shallow ramp, or perhaps your arm if they're sitting on your chest. And even then, only if there's food at the top. They do like hiding under things, so make sure to block off places they could get under when giving them some floor time. Along with the usual removal of anything an inquisitive pig might chew on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I had something like that happen with one of the guinea pigs I had years ago. They were out for floor time, and one followed me out into the kitchen (anything dangerous like cables or whathaveyou was blocked off, of course). And the cunning little bastard promptly waddled under a cabinet that we could've sworn he was too big to fit under. We couldn't reach in to grab him, but the moment I rustled a plastic bag (because the sound generally meant VEGGIES! :byodood:), out he came wheeking his fuzzy head off in the hope I'd give him something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Sloth posted:

Guinea pig armour was sold for charity recently for $24,300.00

eBay listing

:3: :black101:

I would if I where you. My hamsters pee and poo in their bedding a lot and I clean their beds at least weekly. The smallest one barely has a smell to his mess. Just a very slight popcorn like smell.

I love this image

Little guy just looks so drat noble and majestic in his scale-mail cloak :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

My bestest pig ever, Fuji, was put to sleep today. She was 8.5 years old. My mom sent out this piggy obit to my family. It's super sweet and I can't help but post it here, since I've posted a lot about Fuji in this thread over the years:

I'm sorry to hear about Fuji, Sirotan :ohdear:. She looks like she was a sweet ol' pig and some of my favourite posts in this thread are her birthday pics.

I just loved her apparent expresion of

Is this for me?

It's all for me?!:magical:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxford Comma posted:

Edit: I've been told by others that PI is actually the right forum to post this question in. If I'm wrong, please accept my sincerest apologies and I'll delete this thread and ask elsewhere.

You monster! :gonk:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scooty Puff Jr posted:

A little earlier today, I went to Petsmart to get something for my cat and ended up walking out with a free guinea pig as well. (The employee said that they'd just been there a little too long, so they were willing to adopt them out to the right people.) She's about six months old and super cute.

The problem, though, is that ever since I put her into her cage, she's just been hanging out in the corner and not moving a whole lot... She won't even go into her pigloo. She's breathing and doesn't seem visibly ill, and the employee who helped me out said the pigs hadn't been sick (there were two other females with her). I'm wondering if maybe she's just freaked out by everything going on, and needs a few days to adjust? Or could it be that she's just gonna need a friend? I've only had her for a few hours, but I worry. :(

They're herd animals and you should definitely get her a friend (You might want to see if you can go back and get one, or both (if you're up to it), of the other two females she was originally with). And yes it sounds like she's just freaking out from being in a new place on her own. Some fresh veggies placed where she can reach from her corner might help in the meantime and give you a better gauge on if she's actually sick at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

My pigs for some reason have gotten into the habit of losing their small pig minds whenever someone makes a rustling sound, even rooms away. One of them launches into the loudest SWEEEEEEEEEE I've ever heard and the other one starts running around and doing a quieter version. They have food and water and they do it literally right after I give them too many vegetables. If I approach them they of course shut up and bolt for cover. Is pigs?

Is pigs. They've worked out that the rustling of plastic bags means veggies for them, and if it doesn't then it drat-well should so they better let you know as loud as possible that they're expecting those veggies you rustled about! :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

So, I've never been able to get a video of the babies wrestling because they always stop as soon as you get close enough to take a video of it.

I do have this picture though! They are starting to become mini-chinchillas! Of course, they are all ebonies so it is hard to tell them apart, but we manage, because we have runt, squeaker, and non runt/squeaker. Squeaker is called that because it squeaks every time you pick it up, every time mom steps on it, every time she grooms it, etc.
Look at those adorable little fuzzballs :allears:. Does their mom get upset if you handle them?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Party Boat posted:

We've finally decided to give our two guinea pigs a bit more room and get them one of the C&C cages, and when it arrives I'm taking the opportunity to try toilet training them. Currently they have woodshavings for bedding, so I'm planning on switching to something else (fleece?) and filling a corner litter tray with woodshavings to encourage them to use it.

Has anyone else had success with toilet training pigs? Is this a fool's errand?

My old pigs seemed to learn on their own that newspaper was the best place to pee on when out during floor time (We'd set up a box they could hide in with some newspaper to sit/pee on), but it's a fool's errand to try stopping them from pooping wherever they want.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

Try putting some fleece over the towel. There's nothing they can really get a purchase on with fleece.

If she still gets fussy while in your lap, it's generally your pig's way of politely saying "I need to go take a piss now!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Party Boat posted:

A foot at the most, pigs can't climb or jump very well at all.

But boy can they cram their fat little asses through tiny holes you wouldn't expect. Make sure there aren't any small passages they might be able to wriggle into or under before letting them out for Floor Time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Aaaaaand Sam just started giving birth. WELP

I've got odds on five babies, who's in? :shepspends:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

It's the one year anniversary of me adopting two of my pigs (white one on top, Pom, and on bottom, Flora), and I'm celebrating with intense anxiety, after Pom just leaped out of my hands and fell about a foot on top of a wooden tunnel toy in the pig cage as I was putting her back. She hit her back left side and leg, and acted like it hurt immediately. She's now happily eating hay in the hay box but I'm all worried about some kind of internal injury. drat pigs. :smithicide:

Be okay, little pig :ohdear:. Give her another hug and a poke, and lots of apology veggies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kluliss posted:

Is there anything you can feed a guinea-pig that's....more calorific than normal?

One of my pigs had a sebaceous cyst which ended up having to be removed after bursting and he's lost 100g since last Wednesday (though that 100g also contained a very large lump on his arse). Vet says the antibiotics probably made him feel blech and not want to interact much. He is eating, weeing, pooing, and I have plenty of his favourite things (spinach leaves, mint, basil) to tempt him but it's not working all that well - he'll take a couple of leaves then ignore everything else.

The pigs have permanent access to a frankly ridiculous amount of hay, a bowl of pellets and a bottle of water, they're given handfuls of leaves morning and night plus a bowl of veg (carrots etc) in the evenings.

I really wish he had the appetite of our other pig who is shaped like a butternut squash.

Have you tried giving him red Bell Peppers? Guinea Pigs lose their little fuzzy minds over those. Celery too, in my experience, though just a little bit. Also keep an eye on the little guy in general, because if he's anything like a pig I had as a teen, he might get another in a couple years or so.

Or as mum described him; The $500 Guinea Pig :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 2, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Adult Sword Owner posted:

If I pick up my pig 2 things will immediately happen

a) pee
2) she will spend the entire time pulling the loops out of the blanket

So I've resigned myself to just sitting next to the cage and petting her which she seems OK with

The ones I had as a teenager would either try to sit under my chin or just scurry up my shoulder and try to sit on top of my head. They wouldn't hump or anything, just try their damnedest to climb up and sit there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Hotpants posted:

Vesper was kind of stressed out and bug-eyed when we got her. We think this is because she had a lovely time at the shelter (she also had some scabs, likely from a fight with another pig). She is much less "Oh god don't eat me" now that she's been here a few weeks. Her wounds have all healed up and hair is growing back. Happy pigs!

Hope they've been getting lots of veggies and petting. We need more pictures though. Uh... for proof!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Be patient, give them time to settle into their new home and your family's daily routine and they'll be happy piggies. Also give them chunks or a big piece of carrot rather than shredded, they need to chew on something to keep their teeth down. Try tempting them with fruit pieces (apple and watermelon are both good) if you want to give them a treat or, if you want to watch them lose their little goddamn minds, try a piece of leafy celery (not too much or they get the runs, but it's a good sometimes treat). Red Bell Peppers are also pure piggy crack, I'm given to understand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You may want to consider getting your new pig a friend somewhere down the line if you're not able to give him plenty of attention on a daily basis due to having a job or whatever. Guinea pigs are herd animals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

Thank you guys for the advice! Is it normal to have to chase a pig down to take him out of the cage? He runs away from my hands and I'm careful not to hurt him, but I have to block him into a corner to pick him up. Will he get less scared of me as he gets to know me and be easier to pick up, or is that just part of their instincts as a prey animal to try to run away?

He'll get a bit less scared over time, try bribing him with the occasional bit of fruit, but by-and-large Guinea Pigs always fear THE HANDS as a prey instinct. They'll calm right down once they're on your lap for a cuddle or running around the floor of the room to hang out with you though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

My pig doesn't really seem to like me very much. Petting him involves blocking him from trying to run away while he vocally expresses his unhappiness. He's so high-maintenance and I don't mind but I was hoping to at least get to cuddle him or something. My boyfriend doesn't like the pig and wants to get rid of him and get a friendly bunny or a nice fluffy hamster instead, and I don't believe in getting rid of pets but it does start to sound appealing when I remember how unfriendly and not fun this guinea pig is. I've only had him for a week at this point, will he become friendlier and even affectionate with time or is that just his personality?

He's still adapting. Try spending some time just sitting on the floor while he runs about the room and let him get used to you just being nearby. Offering treats goes a long way too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Now I'm planning out a new, even bigger cage because it's not going to be big enough when the babby piggins are old enough to live with the big boys.

How exactly did you manage to get a sheep and a guineapig to cross-breed?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Please timg your pimg :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

republicant posted:

My pig and I have this fun game we play where I tidy up his cage multiple times a day and he has tons of fun knocking things over, pooping everywhere, and pulling as much hay out of the hay holder as he possibly can... Honestly it's cute to see him do it, and I've accepted the fact that this is going to be a very high-maintenance animal so I just like seeing him happy. He especially likes trying to eat the bag I put his poop into while I'm cleaning his poop.

I wish I could ask him if he likes it here better than his old owners, but I think this looks like a happy pig.

If he's feeling bold enough to interfere with whatever THE HANDS are doing, he's feeling pretty happy.