Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Make me a prog and I promise you I won't do anything to help out at all and just idle all day.

You need me on the team AND YOU KNOW IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Yes, it's just a way to tie your character to an email you can easily access. It just automatically mails you a random password to log in with and tells you to change it when you play.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Aafter posted:

If I were more than a first year CS student, I would totally help!

the MOO language is extremely high-level and if you're not completely braindead it's simple to work with. Python is harder than MOO. hell, I started in HellMOO when I didn't know anything other than basic HTML.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Haephastus posted:

I know it's not a real IDE. I just like it for text editing. Some people really hate MOO's built-in editor for some reason. That said, I would also like a MOO IDE. Maybe we someone should convince 0/Grunthawg while high he wants one.

I was making a Java MUD connector w/ MOO IDE attachment but I got bored and stopped after doing the connection part :(

dang

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
It could but the micro doesn't have a whole lot of RAM and (modern) MUDs use a surprising amount

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Hughlander posted:

From memory it has 768MB, and I laugh as I recall about 3-4 years ago I had to recompile the game driver Tsunami uses as it was hardcoded to not allow you to allocate more than 24MB as if you needed more than that clearly it was too much! Plus many MUDs have their own swap file virtual memory set up automatically. Plus the actual OSes virtual memory.

I've really only worked with MOO which is 1) bad and 2) bad, especially if you have a whole lot of tasks running at once (which is going to happen). I seem to recall HellMOO's Top Dogs, when discussing moving to a new server, saying that it was using 1-2 GB and they needed a RAM upgrade (also more hard drive space because core dumps were literally 4 gigs each). And the game was pretty darn small!

MOO is just not good never use it

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

gently caress the ROW posted:

I vote Funkmaster General for lead developer position on this promising new venture :)

Don't even joke, my man.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
ndy sent this lovely paste to me http://pastebin.com/f58f2ee41 from years ago
since they have mostly reneged on the PVP rules (with the exception of FC) I'm probably going to play HellMOO again because I hate myself and want to die.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

ARACHNOTRON posted:

ndy sent this lovely paste to me http://pastebin.com/f58f2ee41 from years ago
since they have mostly reneged on the PVP rules (with the exception of FC) I'm probably going to play HellMOO again because I hate myself and want to die.

nevermind I reported a bug and then got banned for it :c00l:

pre:
 > Killmore     instead of us fixing this bug, how about you gently caress 
    Today 16:27    off to shitland and never bother us again?

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 22, 2013

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

i was doing pretty well but i can't help but be a dick to some kinds of idiots on the internet :(

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Funkmaster General posted:

HellMOO will never reach its former glory again. The oldmins hate everything and everyone that made the game good (as evidenced just there by Gilmore not even wanting Arachnotron back) and all the other admins either fell in line with them out of misplaced loyalty or tried to bring the game back and failed because of ~~~~internet drama~~~~.

I probably shouldn't say anything because it'll be a miracle if anything ever happens with it, knowing myself, but I have a local copy of HellCore and am doing A Thing(tm) with it. Not Pressure; that project is long dead. Not another Hell shard; it'd just fail again. Something new. Not going to bring anyone else in on it until I've laid enough of the groundwork that I feel I can trust myself not to wash out and sit around waiting for other people to do work for me, but watch this space.

hey kennen I will take back all the mean things I said about you (all in jest, mind) if you wanna help me make a Wizard MOO. Our Pal Meks is kinda helping but we just sorta drifted off into the abyss of not caring after setting up a server for it. I thought if I started to actually do MUD stuff again I'd maybe be interested in it and that has kinda helped!

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 23, 2013

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
it is done. I got some Google Docs I can throw at you tomorrow as well if you'd be available after general working hours.

all I've actually done so far is some cleanup of Jed's bad feature removal so it could go anywhere, really

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Yet Another Fantasy MUD
We'll be able to start making content eventually!!

pre:
stow
robot puts away its spellbook.
wield spell in main
robot gets out its spellbook.
wield spell in off
You switch the spellbook to your offhand.
drop spell
robot drops a spellbook on the floor.
cast blorb on spell
robot closes its eyes and focuses its energy...
A magickal lockbox forms around the spellbook, protecting it.
l box

magickal lockbox
A glowing box, securely locked by magickal powers. There's no way to get it open without the person who summoned it, or their permission. 
The magic may fade over time, however... It's closed.
open box
robot focuses its energy at the magickal lockbox...
The magickal lockbox fades away, spilling its contents all over the ground.
get spell
[bugnet] generic creature (#107):_wield (this == robot (#375)), line 3: Type mismatch
[bugnet]   thing = args[1][1];
[bugnet] ... called from generic creature (#107):get_gift (this == robot (#375)), line 13
[bugnet] ... called from generic creature (#107):_get (this == robot (#375)), line 8
[bugnet] ... called from get (#184):_finish, line 24
[bugnet] ... called from generic actor (#92):process_queue (this == robot (#375)), line 91
[bugnet] get (#184) args: {{#469}, #101, {}}
[bugnet] pass_to_finish: {{#469}, #101, {}}
Code is hard, let me tell you.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Please play WayFar. WayFar needs more cool players. This is what I, as a Good Player(TM), have to deal with.

quote:

[chatzone] Aethling says, "Help dubstep is supar helpful."
[chatzone] Aethling says, "trust meh"
[chatzone] Aethling asks, "wuld dis fac li?"
[chatzone] Aethling says, "et nawt mah falt"
It hurts me.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Hey wizardfolk, I'm not dead! My free time is really limited right now. Totally forgot to warn you guys. I'll show up again soonish.

I hope you REALLY die!!!

well, no, jk, that would be mean.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

powerful weedlock posted:

The hellcore off of the hellmoo.org website is actually pretty feature-complete.

nope

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

HellCore also has some baser-level additions, such as hash support.

hey retard stop playing xbox and start helping me get wizardlands going
i have a website u know. i'm like, half way there to a baller game.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
yeah well youve been idle since october mother fucker
but i'm starting poo poo up again

http://blog.wizardlands.net get with it :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
give me 40 mintues