Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

MM11 looks... not terrible?? At least it looks better than a phone game, which is what I was expecting upon first hearing about the 3D artstyle.

Also the best part about Gradius III arcade is the Bacterion Emperor's voiced speech at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Fuse Man looks real annoying to fight

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

So Block Man is definitely going to be weak to his weapon?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Thoughts on the demo:

-Mega Man's voice seems weird, especially the death scream
-I game over'd twice at Mega Block Man. By far the hardest part of the demo for me. I just couldn't get a handle on dodging his attacks and they do a ton of damage. Also his weak point has an annoying tendency to move just out of Mega Man's jumping range as he shifts around
-Walueddie is a dick.
-I used power gear I think once ever, speed gear just seems more generally useful. Maybe there's some weapon that will be really broken with power?
-I didn't really use the right stick much for weapon switching since I'm so used to doing it the old way, but I like that (presumably) the grid maps to the stage select, so it should make it a little easier to remember the layout.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

XavierGenisi posted:

Block Man’s voice clips are great and I genuinely can’t wait to hear all the puns and what not that the bosses yell out during the fights.

:yeah:

I didn't like Mega Man's voice but Block Man's was great. It's probably how MM8 was supposed to be if those voices weren't hilarious for other reasons.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

XavierGenisi posted:

https://youtu.be/Ifms9vrHcnQ

they released a preview of some of the tracks you’d get for pre-ordering the game

Capcom made the default music bland intentionally in order to drive preorder sales :tinfoil:

Is this only for physical copies? I was planning on buying it digitally.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

From watching one of the gameplay videos, the impact driver looks to be strong against Blast Man

I'm not going to watch any more of those though. One of my favorite things to do in any Mega Man game is trying to puzzle out the weakness order, and it's something I can only experience once per game.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

The Bold Kobold posted:

Please don't do this to me, it's bad enough knowing Maverick Hunter will never get a sequel.

I have to admit though, the thought of trying to do the first platforming challenge for Sigma 1 as Flame Mammoth sounds painful hilarious.

Flame Mammoth, doing wall kicks and dash jumping all over the place

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

All this Mega Man talk got me in the mood to dust off my PSP and power up Powered Up. I quickly learned that my PSP screen is dying, as it randomly turns the image upside down, blacks out, or just generally looks like some of the animated avatars around here. So I checked the PSN store and it turns out MMPU is not on PSN... but MHX is?? What gives?

Wrex Ruckus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 19, 2018

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Happy 10 year anniversary to this thread's least favorite Mega Man game!

Is it safe to say now that the Seth Killian "secret" was a bunch of bullshit?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Larryb posted:

Megaman 9 and (to my knowledge) nobody knows.

This video from 2012 tests a popular theory from back then that the "secret" involved the endless mode DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHMTFM3zxWE

nothing was found, probably bullshit

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

8 robot masters are down, and apparently so are the instrumental tracks. Really wish they did those for the whole game.

Larryb posted:

Having experienced a few more levels now I actually think Bounceman is a good starting point as well. His stage is fairly simple (though the gimmick gets annoying at times), his pattern is easy to deal with and his weapon is honestly pretty decent for crowd control.

I just started with Block Man due to playing the demo a dozen times or so

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Motto posted:

Weirdly, 1ups and E-tanks seemingly don't reappear, even after stage clear, but the 100 Bolts do. Weird since any one translates to 2 lives or 1 Tank, and they usually aren't hidden especially hard.

I noticed that too. They REALLY want you to use the shop huh?

Anyone know if those respawn on lower difficulties?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

XavierGenisi posted:

You know, I actually really love the replay system in this game.

With the online leaderboards for the different challenges, they could have easily just handled it like any other game and just given you the times/scores and call it a day, but with each leaderboard, every entry has it's own replay, and so you can look up the different records and see what sort of strategies that other people have used to get their record, and possibly learn from them to see what you could do to improve your run. Sure, you can turn off the replay, but it's like, why would you even bother doing that? It's just a great idea that encourages people to compete on the leaderboards and actually try to do better, as opposed to just "here's the top records for this challenge. go figure it out yourself."

Yup. In Mega Man 10 I copied a lot of strats wholesale by watching leaderboard videos. I don't think I would've ever figured out on my own poo poo like using the wheel to climb walls.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Most of the chase sequences have cheats that let you make them a lot easier. Like the Lava Walls in Torch Man can be frozen with Tundra Man's weapon and such.

:aaaaa:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Larryb posted:

Huh, I never realized there was a way to cheat the chase sequences a bit outside of Speed Gear. Are there weapons that deal with the wall in Blockman's stage and the tank in one of the Wily stages as well?

I don't know about the Wily tank but Powered Blast shatters the giant walls in Blockman's stage

e: Powered Blast also one-shots the skull walls, I guess that counts?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Motto posted:

Man, poor Blast Man is so hard countered by his weakness. He sticks to a corner, the flames can detonate all his bombs and hit him at the right time, and Power Gear doesn't even give him invulnerability!

This is one of the things I loved about MM9 and was glad to see they brought it back in this one. Almost every robot master's attack pattern is neutralized by their weakness weapon.

I say almost because for Impact Man I feel like it's easier just to use the buster, especially on Superhero where he effectively has an active Speed Gear for the entire fight.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

IMPACTMAN CARES NOTHING FOR YOUR PETTY ACID SHIELD! POKE AND PROD, SPIKE AND SPEAR, BURST YOUR BUBBLE~!

Seriously, next playthrough Impactman is getting buster'd to death because Acid Shield is not good against him.

I guess what you're supposed to do is just graze him with it as he charges you like it's an early Ys game. But if you're bad at fighting him like I am, you'll get hit instead and have to reapply it, which locks you in place for a second while he continues to dance around the room.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

:hmmyes:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I just completed Dr. Light's trial and apparently the thing below it that unlocks is an endless version of the trial. The rooms are in the same order, so I assume it just loops every time you beat Wily.

No thanks!

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

lmbo

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Wait how do you detonate regular chain bombs

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I really think the air convoy stage is a cool concept, but yes, it definitely suffers from a lack of screen real estate.

Schwarzwald posted:

A big part of this is that your score is partly based on how many enemies you kill in a stage, and that number resets if you die. On top of the three points lost for losing a life and some points lost for taking damage, the highest possible score you can get if you die to the stage boss is about 80.

I'm certain that time keeps ticking through deaths, so there's that too.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Just practice an individual level in the challenge mode, then do it for real

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly yeah. MM11 has one of the overall best weapon lineups. Like the biggest possible complaint I have besides Chain Bomb is that almost every weapon is insanely powerful and useful but that's a lot better than "every weapon is a wet fart." I'm really glad for utility weapons like Pile Driver.

The one thing I don't like about the MM11 weapons is that they're almost TOO good.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

IMO 3, 5 and 8 are all of comparable quality

6 and 7 are noticeably worse

I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone who would argue that the second X collection is even as good as the first

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Doesn't Z4 also take place at literally the same location as X5

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

any dlc news for mm11?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/11/capcom_cant_make_any_promises_about_dlc_being_added_to_mega_man_11

Mega Man 11 Producer Kazuhiro Tsuchiya posted:

Unfortunately, we can’t make any promises at this time. We’d love for even more players to give MM11 a try and get excited about the game.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I'm a big stupid dumb-dumb head and didn't realize at first that changing to the JP version of a game is a separate option from changing to Japanese language. I was initially confused when I played through an intro stage again in Japanese and the trophy didn't pop up.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

it'll be a new Mega Man Soccer and you'll like it

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

it's totally going to be X9 but I'm not gonna toxx on it

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Sigma's back, but now he's blockchain somehow?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Not really.

(I miss U Violen)

drat, I thought he just completely seals your dash ability, but it looks like you can still do enough of one for double damage uncharged shots

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Capcom tries to tap into the Breath of the Wild magic but with Mega Man.

Capcom will revive a different dead franchise for this one: Breath of the Wildfire.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Phantasium posted:

I mean, 1-5 were a failure. The only series BoF has outsold in comparison to Capcom's other series are 1942, Commando, and Okami which may as well be one game.

Brutal. I assumed 1-3 at least sold ok.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I know a few people in this thread are interested in Dragon: Marked for Death. Right now there's a stream of the game as part of a Mega Man speedrun marathon called, improbably enough, the Mega Manathon.

The stream is on their website https://megamanathon.com/ or twitch https://www.twitch.tv/halfemptyetank

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Personal MM6 standout tracks: Blizzard, Tomahawk, Mr. X

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

You could also try speed burner (uncharged obviously). It's still not great for hitting his tiny hitbox, but a little better than the slicers. Yes, that fight sucks.

I believe you can one shot the cannons with silk shots?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Merilan posted:

Blizzard Buffalo's the best one cause he makes some rad ice sculptures

What a champ

This is correct. He even does a :thunk: after completing his work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, does the Black Armor in X4 give Zero any actual advantage or is it mostly just there for show (I know it becomes a proper armor set in X5 onwards)?

I think it's half damage?