Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Up until this summer, I had only played a handful of Mega Man games way back when they first came out. For some reason I suddenly had the urge to play mega Man a few months back, and player through all the NES, SNES, Gamesboy, and PS1 games. Mega Man 8 about broke me. It abandons the traditional level design in favor of awful gimmick stages. Wily 1 is some of the worst poo poo I've ever played. That doesn't come close to how lousy Mega Man X6 was, though. I'm not averse to playing a difficult game; many of the classic series titles were pretty punishing at times. X6 just had the most horrendous level design I think I've seen in such an established series. There are just so many moments that mkae you wonder what the hell they were thinking. I was going to move on and play the Zero series, but X6 killed any enthusiasm I had for the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bigopinion posted:

Also uh shifting gears a little, I was thinking about it the other day after watching Zero's terrible X4 dub. There is always a new female support character in X games, and she always plays the same general role, but they never keep the same character around between games. I know they whacked Iris in X4 for plot, but after that they just started going through characters with no real explanation. I guess it's stupid to ask for a video game plot to make sense but come on.

Wasn't Alia in all of the games from X5 on?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

I played the beta of the 8-bit version of Mega Man 8 the last couple days. It still needs work but it's interesting so far.
Man, seeing this thing in action really drives home how lousy the level design in Mega Man 8 was. The stages don't really feel like they belong in the Mega Man classic series at all.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

JihadforChrist posted:

After beating both of those games I went back and bought my first introductions to the main Mega Man series. Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X6. :smith:
Oh God no. Both of these games are utterly horrible. I hope you're not basing your opinion on the classic Mega Man side scrollers based on these. You really have to play the 8-bit Mega Man games or the current retro throwbacks. As far as the X games go, only the first is essential, but 2-4 are okay.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Speaking of nostalgia, I give this game about two days before users have recreated all of the old 8 bit stages with the level editor.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Orcasword posted:

Any of the Super Nintendo or PSone games. So basically MegaMan X1-X5, MegaMan 7 and 8.
Don't try to trick the poor guy into playing MegaMan 8! That's just mean.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

I feel like if they want to keep Mega Man relevant, they need to reinvent him for a modern audience and give him a bigger budget, larger scale game, but also keep the colorful, cartoony, whimsical feel of the originals. Basically, make a third person shooter \ adventure game that has a very kid friendly, "Nintendoy" feel.

I could see something similar to the game play in Ratchet & Clank working for Mega Man. The various guns and gadgets in those games always gave off a classic Mega Man vibe for me.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I played through this last week and was really impressed with it. Apart from her being able to dash and jump higher than Mega Man it felt just like the real thing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Tobaccrow posted:

You could probably prove they are already in the same universe within 4 existing crossovers.
You only need two. Sonic was in Wreck-It Ralph with Ryu, who has appeared with Mega Man several times at this point.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Thwack! posted:

Hey uh, after barely beating Unlimited, and successfully washing out the MMU aftertaste with some Rockman 4: Minus Infinity (which is a fantastic romhack of a game, everyone should play it), I seem to crave more Mega Man romhacks/fangames based on the NES Mega Man engine. Any recommendations?
I can't recommend Rokko Chan enough. It's a flash Mega Man clone that captures the old feel while still having its own spin on the formula.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Snix posted:

And maybe if the overwhelming positive reception continues well into and beyond the game's release, Mega Man will come out of retirement. (Maybe they'll even revive Legends 3 (probably not.))

With MN9 being a runaway success I'm half expecting Capcom will have the nerve to launch a Mega Man Legends 3 kickstarter.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

AHungryRobot posted:

It's just that, if Wily's robots are supposed to be so much better, why does he have a 0-10 track record against Mega Man?

This video never gets old.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

TheRedEye posted:

Nope. We are not fixing the games, we are presenting them as they originally were. Actually recreating the games on a source level where we can muck with things is well beyond the scope of this particular project, both creatively and financially.

Does this mean the MM1 pause glitch is still in? After all these years I still can't legitimately beat the yellow devil.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I figure this will meet the initial funding goal but I can't imagine MML has enough of a dedicated following to get it much further than that, especially without any sort of prototype showing off what this is actually going to be. If they're giving us a throwback to the clunky PS1 era then this doesn't have a prayer of going past the demo they're promising, and I don't know what the hell else this could play like otherwise.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Red Ash is getting a $1m stretch goal for a console port, but it'll only be for one console and they're not saying which one, partly because they're negotiating with console makers and partly because they intend to poll backers on which console they'd prefer, both during and after the campaign. What?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1287591
They won't poll users or declare which console they're going with now because they're holding out hope for one of the console manufacturers to support them.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Noyemi K posted:

What I want to know is why they'd consider a 10 year old and a teenager as a goddamn mayor.
Probably a lesser of two evils situation. Like it was either the 10 year old or the anime version of Donald Trump.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I sort of suspect they already used their nuclear option with the $50 upgrade to full game. I wonder what else they have left for the last 5 days.
If anything they hosed themselves even harder with that little move. Who would want to back now knowing they'll get less if they don't pay more than early backers?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

So they have a publisher for The Kalkanon Incident, the prologue chapter they were developing in order to show off to potential publishers so they could make a full game. Okay.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

If the goon who worked on the Mega Man Legacy Collection is still around, what's the deal with the abbreviated trophy list on PS4? I'm pretty sure Sony no longer limits trophies on digital games, and even if they did the legacy collection should have enough content for a platinum.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

1 is supposed to be the hardest of the 10 right, or is 9 tougher?
Personally I find 9 to be the hardest and 1 to be among the easiest with a great big asterisk for the yellow devil. That's the hardest drat boss in the series. I cannot legitimately beat it. Fortunately the pause glitch is a thing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

kefkafloyd posted:

Do you want anime voice actors back in your Mega Man? Well, you got it!
As long as they get real anime voice actors this time rather than ask the janitorial staff if they want to earn some overtime.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

X8, Command Mission, Powered Up, and Maverick Hunter X were all done by Ocean Group and I thought they were all pretty decent for the most part.

Well that’s good to hear. I’m mainly familiar with the MM8 and X4 anime cut scenes which are probably the worst dubs I have ever encountered.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Finally got a chance to sit down and play this for a bit. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. There's a lot of nice little details, and the new mechanics are a fun addition that move the series forward without overshadowing the classic gameplay. Best of all, this actually feels like a Megaman game. The other numbered titles that didn't have the NES style always felt off to me especially Mega Man 8 with it's gimmicky levels, but everything feels perfect here. Level design is exactly what I wanted.

Holy poo poo is it ever hard though. I never had all that much trouble on the robot master levels in the NES games, but the four levels I've tried here have all taken multiple attempts. Part of that is they're just longer, but these definitely feel harder than anything apart from 9. Fortunately bolts are plentiful and items are cheap, so having a full stock of E tanks offsets things a little.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I’d be happy if they would at least gift you a free life at the beginning of the stage if you die before the first checkpoint. When that happens there’s little reason not to just reload or throw yourself down the nearest pit since you’d otherwise be at a disadvantage if you make it past the checkpoint on your next attempt.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Switch version of X1 had some slowdown in certain places. It was infrequent enough to not be gamebreaking but still noticeable. I played it recently and it hadn’t been patched.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I was kind of surprised to see the collection doing better than the new game, but I’m guessing that’s actually the total between both collection releases so it makes sense. I would have liked to see the breakdown between collection 1 and collection 2.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

can you all recommend good 2d action platformer games. preferably on switch.

I’m playing through The Messenger right now and it’s very good.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ultrachrist posted:

Anyone have any useful thoughts on 20XX? Saw it was on sale on the Switch eShop and figured it was worth a shot for $10.

I liked it a lot but you have to have a tolerance for procedurally generated bullshit that can make or break a run. The base mechanics feel just like MMX but there’s a lot of stat boosting items and alternate weapon types you can pick up in a run which give the game its own identity. Level design is much more platforming focused and obviously is just a bunch of challenges randomly strung together. It’s decent for what it is but you’ll see the same pieces occur fairly often. It could have used more variety in that regard. The last couple of levels can feel borderline unfair at times especially if you didn’t have the right power ups spawn in your run.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The difference between easy and normal on the X challenge is absurd. It really could have benefited from having modular difficulty options where you could enable things like bosses dropping health without making the whole thing a pushover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

X6's one saving grace was having a cheat code to get the ultimate armor from the start. I don't think I would have had the patience to play through it otherwise.