Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just wish they'd make another Megaman X: Command Mission.

But I also liked X6 - Zero played better in that one than in any other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

fivegears4reverse posted:

I could never get the hang of his sword slashing in X6.

I think it was because at the time, I had already played the first or second Zero title, and X6 Zero just didn't feel nearly as smooth.

I had the exact opposite experience - I never could get into the Zero series because it felt like you had to be too precise to get anything done. I loved Zero's awesome saber arc and the upgrades that let you cut bullets and poo poo were badass.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So this is a cool patch for Megaman X3: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/888/

It allows you to play as Zero for reals in X3 as you would in the later games complete with dialog and item pick ups and sub weapons.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
As much as I like Megaman/X, I'd really like to see the series get a fully Metroidvania type game starring X/Zero. Something like Symphony of the Night with items to equip, levels to gain, combos to learn, etc. SotN still gets play in my house and I'd love to have a game of that depth for my X-heroes. It will never happen, of course but a man can dream.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

So basically you want jkbproductions to finish Megaman X Corrupted.

Oh! I didn't realize it was full Metroidvania style! I mean, I want them to finish it because it's more Megaman X but that changes my view a bit! I thought the levels were just linear but bigger A to B affairs. Very cool!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I liked X6 for the sole reason that they teased Wily so hard. I was like you, figured that maybe they'd bring it around and tie it to Megaman. Zero being back was kind of strange but he was my boy so I didn't care. I think Capcom lost the thread of what fans wanted a long time ago and we're really noticing today. I'm not sure there is a way to fix Megaman. I'm not entirely sure I'd even want Capcom's hands on it anymore.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Violen posted:

In more non-Capcom related Mega Man news (so you know you're in for a treat), a pretty swell dude going by RushJet1 had remade the entire MM3 OST with a VRC6 sound chip. Hearing the most complex and interwoven of the NES OSTs filtered through Konami's 8-bit audio wizardry is one of the coolest things I've experienced in a while. Definitely give this a listen and cough up some dough for the download if you like what you hear.

http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-3-remade

If the guy had had access to a SCC we'd really be in business.

This is great! MM3 had the best Wily stage themes for my money. These sound really amazing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

precision posted:

I think Mega Man X Street Fighter is going to be the exactly perfect level of nostalgia bait that's also fun and awesome. I mean I thought the trailer was a joke until I heard otherwise. Then I heard it was real and I did this :aaa:

It's cool that we're getting something but people really do like things other than 8 bit megaman, Capcom! It would have been cool if the 'Megaman X Street Fighter' had been a play on words and had both X and Zero. SF moves are a natural for the latter.

Come on, Corrupted!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Breath of Fire died because the fanbase complained that Dragon Quarter was too fun interesting well-made original different.

Dragon Quarter was an amazing game on its face, but BoF3 is really the high water mark for the series as it was known. I'd love another game like Dragon Quarter but the Breath of Fire fan in me wants another Breath of Fire game. I don't even call Dragon Quarter by anything but its subtitle because my brain doesn't really recognize it as part of the series, great game or no.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Alteisen posted:

I'd give the high mark trophy to either 2 or 4, 3 just doesn't hold up well at all, its agonizingly slow to start, you spend way to much time as kid Ryu and it has the worst translation job of the series. 4 ironed out all these issues and felt a lot more solid to me.

Currently there is a BoF3 for the PSP but its UK only, no changes to it, just a straight port in typical Capcom fashion, BoF4 is available on the PSN.

We will have to agree to disagree on most of that. Yes, 3 starts more slowly but I think the scope and quality of the game is higher. 2 is very good for the era and 4 has potential but is really marred by the polygonal visuals.

I recently went through 1-4 in a marathon and frankly I felt 3 played and felt the best of all the games and is the one I think of immediately when someone says the phrase "Breath of Fire".

Regardless, Capcom has a real problem revisiting classic franchises. I think many of the developers have moved on and tastes change and no one really knows how to replicate that again. Look at Konami and Suikoden for a similar problem.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

StevenM posted:

Now we have to ask if he'd rather replay the game over any of the classics.

The fact that he has so much experience with the game means he's exactly the wrong person to discuss and defend it because he's inherently invested in it.

I do like that any criticism of this game elsewhere is met with Ponce-style reactions as if somehow this is the perfect megaman game and anyone who thinks it has design flaws are just bad at the game. Don't mention it's less fair than Megaman 1, a really unpolished (relative to the rest of the series) early NES game. Fan-games are the worst for this. Sure, if the designer wants to make some ball bustingly hard game with tons of poor gameplay choices, more power to them. But it's ok to mention those games aren't for everyone; this one seems to be for people who like bad level design.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Plus it's exploration-focused instead of being a stage-progression-based game. It could still be a good game but it's a shame they decided to take that route.

Wasn't the NES Strider like that? I preferred that as a kid to the Genesis version, however crazy and beautiful the game was at the time.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ekusukariba posted:

New Mighty No. 9 video, a "speedrun" of the Opening level

As someone who hasn't been super interested in MN9, that isn't doing a lot to change my mind. It doesn't look bad but the graphics are a bit offputting to me somehow. I can't put my finger on exactly what is bothering me about it though.

I do hope that they deliver a solid game though. I'd like to see a MMX revival more than anything else, but a good MM-like is a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Black Mage Knight posted:

I doubt UE3 is the reason why the character models or fire effects look so terrible, and I don't think just an engine upgrade is all that makes Bloodstained look good. It is very much a case of a lack of effort for MN.9 not looking good.

EDIT: Like, seriously, there is barely any definition to this character model. All they did was lazily stretch a texture over it.

Even though it is lower poly and resolution the character model for X in MHX has better body part definition than Beck's model. His torso doesn't look like an amorphous blob for one.

I'm Beck's glowing blue codpiece.