Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Captain Charisma posted:

The problem is that the old guys, especially Hogan, would never do such a thing. Even if everything went right, he would still make himself out to be a good guy, a cool heel, and always come out on top.

This quote from the Observer comes to mind:

Da Meltz posted:

"It has been made clear to everyone that Hogan is 'the man' and in all angles has to be treated as such...Hogan vs. Hogan (Horace vs. Hulk) started with Kidman yelling at Horace about (Torrie) Wilson, who he came out with. Horace beat up Kidman and went to the ring with Wilson. Horace went to kiss Wilson when Kidman came out again. Hulk then throws Kidman over the top rope through a table and pins Horace. Hulk then kissed Torrie Wilson. Of course she liked it and walked out on both Kidman and Horace." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 22, 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Gavok posted:

I really can't remember. WCW is just one big blur to me.

One thing that annoyed the hell out of me in WCW that wasn't really their fault was the Lodi/Lenny Lane angle. Lodi, at the time, was little more than a recurring jobber. Lenny Lane was just the guy known for looking like Chris Jericho. They put the two together as heels and gave them an Ambiguously Gay Duo gimmick. It got really over and fans seemed to really dig it. Lodi actually started winning matches! One could argue that they were one of the most over acts in WCW for a couple weeks.

Then GLAAD stepped in. They didn't like the "FAGGOTS!" chant that the team rarely got. They made a big stink about the gimmick and had WCW drop it. In a statement, one of the representatives discussed how a gay wrestler angle could work and be deemed acceptable by them. I can't remember their exact guidelines, but it was very apparent that they didn't know what they were talking about because Lodi/Lenny was exactly what they were asking for. But whatever, they got their way.

Lodi and Lenny were repackaged as Standards and Practices, which was embarrassing... but at least introduced us to Stacy Kiebler.

There ended up being a semblance of justice in all of this. Years later, we had the Billy Gunn/Chuck Palumbo tag team in WWE that was also based on the same "are they gay?" template. They started as heels and got over as faces. GLAAD publicly endorsed the same exact angle that years earlier they damned, especially when it was announced that Chuck and Billy were going to have a wedding of sorts. It ended up being a huge swerve (Billy and Chuck admit that they aren't gay, then get beat up by the 3 Minute Warning) that made GLAAD looked bad. Normally, I'd feel for them on this, but it's such a fitting turn of events.

The real loser in the whole deal was Chris Jericho.

He never did get his Loverboy tape back from Larry. :(

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Via the Death Valley Driver boards, some WCW memories for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPj1xf-prHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZd-5pEdV9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8RKnSIxQsE

I miss WCW. :(

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I liked David Arquette as champion because after he turned heel he went all out with the ridiculous clothes and super annoying persona. At that point I had completely given up on WCW as a serious company, so them doing train wreck poo poo like that was enough to make me tune in.

Russo manipulated me like a puppet :(

I think that David Arquette is actually a little nutty so it played well into his, erm, character. Adam Carolla made some snarky remarks about him on Loveline one time and he happened to be out and about and he came to the studio and I can only assume tried to hit Adam with a chair until Dr. Drew gave him a LARIATOOOOO~! and Courtney Cox loaded him back in the car.

If Russo had come in a little earlier, then that might have been an actual televised wrestling angle on tv. It would also put Loveline, and by extension OUR REALITY in canon with Robocop. :psyduck:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Jericho also once got a royalty check for $0.00 and a Fed Ex package with nothing in it.

Oh WCW. I miss you.

Maffew has started a new series, the BEST series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX8fOqsC8kw

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

http://static.tbs.com/sports/thunder/index.htm

Guys I don't think any new information is ever going to be available. :ohdear:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Getting destroyed via air strikes as they tried to mobilize and never being able to fire a shot.

So, TNA then?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Giedroyc posted:

Nitro girl Spice makes the man from the misfits look like Ric Flair. Her finisher (and sole move) the vague shove has been known to destroy all challengers. I've only seen one brutal backstage brawl (2 shoves) and one match vs Madusa (1 shove, in the back) so far but have high hopes.

She also destroys hearts. :swoon:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Guess what's back....

http://www.wcw.com

Ah, revisionist history, what do you have for me today?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Fucken_Gieux posted:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/unitedstates
Chris Benoit was included in the US Title history.
Probably means nothing, and they just copied, pasted and updated an old one.

If you click any of the other non Benoit links, it gives a blurb about the match and the circumstances surrounding it. This is just the bare bones 'yeah this guy existed' sort of thing because otherwise you have to pretend those changes never happened and that either leads to accusations of whitewashing history OR will inspire curiosity seekers to find out what the deal with Benoit is. It's the best they can really do given the situation.

Flight Bisque fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 29, 2011

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

To this day, nobody knows for sure (as far as I know) if the referee didn't count fast because he was told to by Hogan or just because.

Well to be fair, Nick Patrick doesn't even remember that match, or what Starrcade is, or who Bret Hart is, or so the legend goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z67MdfabhhI&feature=player_detailpage#t=284s

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

I don't understand (well I kind of do) why they don't just offer dvds of stuff that wouldn't be a huge seller (complete sets of Nitro/WCW PPVs/Best of Lenny and Lodi) and just burn them to order? If I could pay like I dunno 10 bucks for Spring Stampede 1999 or a dvd of every tv taping I went to in person, or Kevin Sullivan's Devil Worship stuff from Florida I would buy way more dvds than I currently do.

Am I an idiot, or does that make sense? List everything they have on the site, you pick X, Y, and Z, pay, and Joe the intern (or team of interns) go down, pull it all up, burn to a DVDR and mail it out. It would have to be profitable, wouldn't it?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

There are a lot of factors at play here. WWE no longer has rights to some themes used in wcw, some of the tapes probably need to be restored, on top of the fact that they would risk cannibalizing current DVD sales. You also have to remember that there are some things WWE just don't want us to see again.

The themes thing is a valid point, but since they are working through dubbing the gently caress out of everything anyway for dvds and 24/7 and stuff, not an insurmountable thing. Worst case give everyone public domain music. The NWO can come out to Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies.

Restoration a good point, I have no argument there.

Cannibalizing current dvd sales, I don't think it would really go like that. The people who would buy a Best of David Flair/Daffney/Crowbar dvd aren't the same ones who will buy the 35th John Cena dvd they put out. It's a niche market I guess, one not worth exploring. But I can dream. :(

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

I miss Scott Hall using the chokeslam and then doing the Frankenstein walk gimmick mocking the Giant.

My favorite one was like a year after Big Show left the company, Hall chokeslammed someone, then started to do the walk and went oh yeah and waved it off.

I guess really I just miss Scott Hall.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

The Stro was awesome because he stole his 'hear X music, gently caress poo poo UP' gimmick from the Three Stooges short Punch Drunks.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Suben posted:

Really if there's any cruiserweight/luchadore that I can remember as being irrelevant to... well pretty much everything it's Super Calo. Even Lizmark Jr. had an appearance in WCW Mayhem at least.

Hector Garza. Super Calo at least was a good breakdancer.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Jeff Jarrett in his 1996 WCW Run was the worst ever... half of his matches was him strutting or dancing or saying "ha! ha!" after every sentence in his interviews.

I love his awful entrance music, it just tickles me in the brain for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VVEVC0Hp5A

Of course later it was remixed into the West Texas Redneck's second theme, GOOD OLD BOYS. I mention this just because the Rednecks were awesome, and changing their theme killed their heat and gently caress you WCW.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

oldpainless posted:

How the gently caress does a company forget a major star's contract ending? Aren't there like whole departments to oversee this? Also, does Rock not know when his contracts up or does he stay silent because he doesn't want to be involved in wrestling?

This is why JR is awesome. When he hosed up on contracts, it was just Jeff Jarrett. When Johnny Ace fucks up, the loving ROCK gets missed.

And I side with Jarrett. He just wanted his drat money and to be done with the WWF free and clear, no more bullshit Chyna matches, no more Austin cockblocking a push over Memphis paydays*, no more ga-ga.

Besides, it's not like Vince never hosed anyone over. Jarrett just took advantage of JR's mistake, plain and simple. I'm not some super Jeff Jarrett fan, he just did what he thought was right, and I agree. Besides, consider it karmic payback on Vince for making Jeff and Debra go out there and work a jackoff comedy sideshow freak match with loving Nicole Bass five minutes after Owen died.

(*I am not saying that I wanted to see an Austin/Jarrett program, but you could have programmed me against Steve Austin in 1998-1999 and drawn.)

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

So are you also pissed that Rock *cockblocked* a program with Shawn Michaels because of how Michaels treated Rock when he was a kid and a rookie?

Actually I misspoke up there, for it to be an accurate thing, Rock would have to veto a program with Shawn's kid. Jerry ain't Jeff.

Lone Rogue posted:

Besides, Jarrett wasn't even over enough to main event against Austin. It was Russo trying to push his friend. The only guy Austin rejected for a program that I wasn't happy with was Owen Hart, but Austin still had every right to be apprehensive on a program with Owen after SummerSlam.

Regardless of if he was or wasn't over enough, Jeff did what he thought was the right thing, and I agree. Besides, if it spared us one of the 450,000 Undertaker/Austin ppv matches that year, it would have been a great change.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I can not believe that I used to watch WCW in its death spirals and kept coming back

Late WCW had this magic about it that not even the crappiest of post Monday Night Wars WWE can recapture. Every part of my brain knew it was awful awful stuff, but I kept coming back because that was just part of the show. I can't even really explain it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Sporadic posted:

There's a big difference between some rear end in a top hat leaving to fall on his face

Leave Owen out of this.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Watching that series of videos reminded me that Pamela Paulshock existed, so I went looking to see whatever happened to her and she married Roger Lodge of Blind Date fame.

That is a suitably random pairing of non famous celebrities I think.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

The best thing about that "movie" is that he is top billed and he is in it for maybe 20 minutes at the most.

Yeah but look at the cast. Even 1996 Hogan is the biggest name in it. Maybe Jim Varney, but he is really only a draw in Ernest movies.

edit: I am a dummy, I totally missed Victor Wong. Disregard this entire post!!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya Victor Wong who had been in all the other ones and also Burt Reynolds ex.

Lookit this guy with his knowing about Three Ninjas!

Realistically in 1998 Jim Varney should have had top billing since by then Toy Story was a thing.

And just to remind us all what a mess 2000 WCW was...

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Somebody on IMDB screwed up? I don't get it. How's that WCW's fault.

If the concept of Hulk Hogan playing the part of Ric Flair doesn't sound like a WCW idea then I don't know what the hell actually does.

Here everyone go look at some WCW promo pictures.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/01/the-best-and-very-very-worst-of-vintage-wcw-promo-photos-part-1

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/01/the-best-and-very-very-worst-of-vintage-wcw-promo-photos-part-2

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Red posted:

I mean, I guess, but... wasn't she originally Flair's nurse in a really moronic storyline?

Also, looking at these pictures make me sad, because Mortis was amazing, and we never got a chance to see Kanyon revive it in WWE.

Edit: Looking through all these photos, one of the few people who escaped this era unscathed and still has a career is TEDDY LONG

As I recall, Teddy helped the Undertaker learn the proverbial ropes when he first broke into the business. Later Taker got him a job as a referee and so on from there.

Teddy Long has been an on air character for the WWE since 1999. Think about that.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Was he a character before the white boy challenge? I thought he was just a ref.

Close enough.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Teddy was a pretty established referee and manager before he came to the WWF. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Taker vouched for him.

Yeah but it's not like they made Bill Alfonso Smackdown GM for 400 years.

Unfortunately. :(

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

In my most obsessed days, I would watch:

2 hours of Raw
3 hours Nitro
2 hours Thunder
2 hours Smackdown
WCW Worldwide
WCW Pro
WCW Main Event
WCW Saturday Night
WWF Jakked
WWF Metal
WWF Sunday Night HeAT
WWF Superstars
WWF Livewire
ECW on TNN

Along with basically anything else I could get hold of. WOW: Women of Wrestling, WXO, the first place I saw Johnny Ace and THAT promo, and various random local promotions that would pop up here and there.

I... kind of had a problem. 18+ hours in a week is too loving much wrestling for any human being. Especially consider that Jakked and Metal were the SAME SHOW, only with different announce teams and Metal was PG rated so they would bleep the word rear end and stuff.

Then, to complete the cliche that is my life, I got a girlfriend and never looked back.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HM4-uuFzo

To his credit: I don't think he started one sentence there with "Bro I know but..."

To his detriment, gently caress you Vince Russo.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite WCW memory of all time was when Flair was abandoned out in the woods somewhere for some reason, but by a stroke of luck a trucker who happened to have a WCW cameraman with a live feed back to Monday Nitro in his cab with him spotted him and rescued him.

What a coincidence!

And then the announcers were all GOSH WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO FLAIR when he stumbled out with a shovel as a crutch or something similar.

Proving that not even WCW announcers were watching their product.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

You can barely see the mustache!

It's still crooked though. :(

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I still want to know how it took Goldberg so long to cross the street.

He stopped to watch Mick Foley win the WWF title.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

ChampRamp posted:

Schiavone was good in the 80s!

Still wanna see the alternate reality where they picked him and not Bischoff to run things. :allears:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Future wife!

Future ex-wife!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

1st AD posted:

World Karate Champion AND karate trainer of UFC Hall of Famer Mark "The Hammer" Coleman.

Also he had this theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jObCu4j4ax0

Um that's three time world karate champion, AND the guy who was Garrett Bischoff's karate instructor when he was a kid AND innovator of Cat-Bo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkUUjhQSqE

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

There were vignettes on Saturday Night where Regal taught Eaton how to act proper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ApH5c8kr4

Awesome stuff.

The other great (for certain qualifications of great) segment was one where they were in LA and ended up planting the knife and glove from the OJ Simpson deal.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRrXyrjUSk

I only knew it was pre-Starrcade, post mid-October because Syxx was there. Lucky for us if you type something as generic as "army of stings" into the google, it knows what you mean!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Does anyone on this planet remember Daffney's secret admirer/boyfriend Ozzy from the summer of 2000?

In July MI Smooth comes to the ring during a Crowbar match to give Daffney flowers. We then get segments where she gets gifts and Crowbar is too scared to tell her he likes her. Then one week she reveals she has met her secret admirer, and introduces him to Ozzy, who has a hairstyle halfway between that of Reno and Crowbar. I had no memory of Ozzy and assumed he'd be gone the next show, but we're a few weeks in and he keeps showing up including during the wedding Nitro.

I had absolutely zero memory of Ozzy and refuse to believe anyone else does. Please be honest do you remember this storyline?

I do in fact remember this, though I could not have told you that his name was Ozzy. I think it was the stupid haircut (and my unabashed love at the time of all things Daffney related) that made it stick in my brain.

The dude who played Ozzy also was in R&B security I think, and was a jobber here and there on Worldwide and Saturday Night and the like.

Fake edit: In TYOOL 2018 I cannot often remember what day it is, but my brain held onto the name Ozzy wrestled under. Ashley Hudson.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

coconono posted:

no the first one. She really liked him. I dunno about this current one.

That's why Jarrett sucks, she loved him and he just buried her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

My favorite thing about Dusty promos is how he says Arn's name.

"Ahhhn Annuson!"

Also everything about his promos.:allears: