Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Master P's posse get some ridiculous payout like $50K per appearance? Talk about nice work if you can get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

WCW is fault for allowing the blowoff to a mega money feud to be so lovely. It doesn't matter if it was Hogan's call, it was the company's fault for allowing whoever made the call to make it. It doesn't matter if Sting was working badly, out of shape, had a bad attitude, or strangled his wife and children the night before, it was a loving stupid business move.

There is probably few dumber ideas in wrestling than letting a wrestler have creative control.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just now realizing that Stunning Steve and Ravishing Rick were probably traveling together for a reason.

They were both in the Dangerous Alliance together for one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah, I knew that. Just never caught on that they may have been trying to mold Steve to be like Rick.

Which is funny in that Steve needed much less molding. Early in his career, the story goes, Rick was Not Good. Finally he got sent to Memphis because if you couldn't come out of there a half-decent worker you couldn't anywhere and sure enough, he got over. One of the older guys he worked with even gave him the idea for the slow disrobing because back then Rude worked really snug and anything that killed time so you didn't have to get punched by Rick was welcomed. With Steven they just had to... let go.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Austin was getting rave reviews in his rookie year, IIRC. Like, one of the reasons he turned on Chris Adams was they saw big potential in him, and shackling him to Adams (his trainer) like he was a severely limited, green as gooseshit rookie was unnecessary.

My favorite thing about Rude was the urban legend that if people got unruly in bar he bounced in, he could KO them with a single slap.

It reminds me of the story Tennis Racket Man tells about Herc Hernandez who slapped a guy senseless and asked why he didn't hit him, Herc said "Oh, no, if you punch a guy you can really hurt him!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

stab posted:

AMERICAN MALES

AMERICAN MALES

AMERICAN MALES

IF THEY WANNA TALK TO YOU YOU BETTER NOT LISTEN
YOU MIGHT WIND UP IN CRITICAL CONDITION

Amazing lyrics for your young handsome face team. Don't talk to them! They'll beat you up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think it's more intended to be, they're so hot you'll overheat and go into cardiac arrest.

Given it was the company that also told us in Sting's theme 'he does this, he does that' I'm not inclined to trust the American Males' song continuity overmuch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If we're being super honest with wrestling themes it's all been downhill since "HERE COMES THE AX AND HERE COMES THE SMASHER." With a slight uptick for 'Some Bodies Gonna Get It.' I will be taking no further questions at this time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The song is.

The video. Uh.

Yeah. Like... the song is fun and all but does open with Slick eating fried chicken. Also it's about how Slick can't catch a break and never gets nothing in the end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Am I out of Van Hammer? Do I need more Van Hammer?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Get it? The HIGH KNEE?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How did Hogan and Hall/Nash fall out?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like Hogan made most of the money off of the merchandise too?

Probably. Here's what his contract looked like:

"He signed with WCW in 1994 and signed a new deal in 1998, which included a $2 million signing bonus; 15 per cent of pay-per-view sales for each event he wrestled in, with a minimum guaranteed $675,000; 25 per cent of gross ticket sales when wrestling in WCW Nitro, WCW Thunder or an untelevised WCW house show, with a minimum guaranteed $25,000; $20,000 per month just to wear NWO t-shirts on TV and in photo shoots; rights to use his name an image to promote “pasta, pasta restaurants, sandwiches [and] sun tan oil.”

Twenty grand just to wear NWO shirts. Who knows how much he got off their actual sale.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They could have claimed that if JBL lost the feud, but he won it pretty decisively. Actually even then it still isn't okay.

Note to wrestling companies: If your big idea to make a guy a top heel is to just have him be an unrepentant racist, STOP.

Vince unable to imagine a racist losing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

And then a year and change later Russo and Bischoff thought "What if that, but the whole promotion"

"Bro we'll pop the smarks bro."
"But isn't it the casual market we should aim for?"
"Bro."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

they weren't predicting it they were responding to it, the IWC fully existed by 1998

OBSERVE THIS BROTHER THIS IS WHAT WE CALL A RAG SHEET BROTHER

but it's like a dinosaur compared to the internet the internet has the scoops

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

tenta had a lion, not a jaguar or whatever that is supposed to be

Actually a tiger. Then a shark, because nobody really deserves the loyalty to a company that Tenta showed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJExile posted:

from what I've heard this match is a low key banger too

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it is. It was almost impossible for Bobby to not elevate his opponent and if it was against somebody already really good like Savage, forget about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Super Dan posted:

Hogan in the cave was a couple of months before he turned slightly to the Dark Side.

"IT'S NOT HOT!" is a beautiful almost non-sequitur.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

When I realize I've been tricked into coming to some sort of evil lair my first instinct is to stick my hand into whatever random liquid I see first.

Well, sure, that's just common sense. How else do you know its suspected temperature?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In theory there's a bunch of workers there for a fun version of Sullivan's Army of Darkness gimmick with Tenta and Meng and all, plus King Curtis has a great voice for heel promos.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Finding out that his idea with the Varsity Club was basically to do his Satanic "Army of Darkness" gimmick but downplay the satanic panic and instead make it more that he was manipulating talented athletes into being his goons was pretty interesting.

Yup. As is typical JCP/WCW the angle was squashed as soon as it got really interesting and/or popular.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Luigi Thirty posted:

What was the timing between Nash and Hall becoming available and the blowoff of the Dungeon of Doom? I, uh, don’t really blame them there.

Oh, I was talking about the Varsity Club, not the Dungeon, sorry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the big Dungeon of Doom match was in march of 96 and the nwo angle started in earnest in may, but as a stable Dungeon of Doom lasted all the way through 1997, so they overlapped.

Yeah. You had that odd thing where part of the reason there was no organized resistance to the NWO (aside from bad booking) was that the Four Horsemen spent a long time playing footsie with the Dungeon. Invaders taking over? Bah! Time for another match with the Faces of Fear!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

Last night I said "It's not hot" in a real conversation and immediately thought of this thread.

Had you, in fact, been there before?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Alex Wright is always in my head.

And my heart.

So you know vat zee Germans are all about.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had no idea PG-13 was in WCW. I guess not for very long?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I unironically love Doom's entrance theme, although that's probably a bit too early. I wouldn't be surprised if it popped up in some random place after Ron left WCW, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Getting to see more episodes of WCW Saturday Night and every time they put a mic in front of Duggan he's calling out the nWo like he's trying to will a feud into existence but I swear I don't remember him interacting with them practically ever.

Yeah, I think that was probably a "talk about the NWO like they're Homer's suggestions about Poochie" directive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJExile posted:

Scott Hall is absolutely one of those guys who could have been on top of the world if not for his demons. His strikes always looked great, he was awesome on the mic, sold beautifully too. I remember one writer saying he'd turn the ring into an inflatable bouncy castle when he ate the stunner.

In the words of Rob Naylor, one of the ways to tell Scott was great was he had great squash matches (or 'wimpy matches' as Naylor calls them).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

iamsosmrt posted:

It blew my mind when I learned he was faking his Latin American gimmick.

I still love the story Vince thought it was an super original gimmick because he'd never seen Scarface.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

Didn't Vince think Paul Burchill's gimmick was based off of Erroll Flynn because he was totally oblivious to Pirates of the Caribbean?

I don't recall but I do know there was an issue of disbelief there's a wrestler that thinks he's a pirate and not a pirate who wrestles which is why Vince didn't Get It.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

WCW Magazine will always hold a special place in my heart for their in-depth look at all the storylines and angles past and present connecting everybody on both sides of the WrestleWar '92 War Games. That sort of dedication is what I'd like back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

So the whole Roddy Piper "family" stuff in '97 is one of the weirdest things WCW ever did right? Every time I see it it's like a fever dream.

Even younger and more willing to just roll with whatever wrestling nonsense came my way, that one stood out. Some complete randos, the future Roadblock and... John Tenta? And then to continue it he just dumps them - and they're fine with it, but to be honest I would be too - for the Four Horsemen which probably should have just been the go-to option because Piper siding with an ancient enemy in Flair to fight the NWO is a much better story.

The live crowd was probably even more baffled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Reminds me when I was asking in this thread about why Hogan didn't just lie down for String at StarrCade. You'll make more money when the company is successful, Hulk! And WCW would maybe still be alive if they could just settle for second place.

This is down to Hogan's massive ego and the horrific mistake of giving wrestlers creative control.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

oldpainless posted:

Everything I’ve seen Hogan endorse outside of wrestling looks like the cheapest poo poo imaginable

I wish I had the chance to have gone to Pastamania.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

fuckin mean gene was the god damned best, no-one was even close.

There is definitely a conversation to be had about how underrated Gene and Bobby were as gets for WWF.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always remember the ICP saying that WCW was the first time they saw somebody use somas. Shawn in that scene with unchecked somas and steroids and God knows what else, he might be dead if he jumped.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ecavalli posted:

Once I noticed the flip-flops, they became all I can see in that image.

HEY. The Ruler of the World doesn't want his feet burned by the hot sand, okay? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurks With Wolves posted:

If I remember correctly, the actual/implied reason was that Bischoff got scared after they powerbombed him through a table and worked for them behind the scenes until Piper revealed that he was lying to everyone about meeting him.

Was that the "what kind of road goes to my house" promo?