Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's been ages since Sting retired, but when Cody did Sting's hands-to-his-mouth WHOOOOOOOOOO before doing a Stinger splash a couple weeks back made me nostalgic as gently caress.

Sting was always my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

Been watching old Sting matches, and I think Cena, at points, was drat near a tribute act
I agree completely. He also used to do the Stinger splash.

Randaconda posted:

Cena could have added the Stinger Splash to his moveset with no problem
He did! Though never regularly, sadly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

overmind2000 posted:

Bischoff was dumb enough though to book a live Nitro on the fly depending on how bad his ratings brainworms were that week
I doubt this to this day. Sure, it happened, probably, but more often, I bet Bischoff was lazy enough, once the people who booked the show for him quit, he just showed up and said poo poo and then later acted like it was a plan.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I paid several tens of dollars to see Starrcade '98 and Kidman was my favorite wrestler, so as disappointing as the main event was, I felt like my money was well spent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rujasu posted:

Kidman was fantastic, I loved him in WCW. Good cruiserweight, and the way they had him win the title out of nowhere right after leaving the Flock was brilliant. He worked really well as "generic dude in street clothes who is really good at wrestling" for a while there.

But what Russo tried to do with him and Hogan... well it was Russo in a nutshell is what it was. I don't really think Hogan/Kidman was ever going to be a good match - Kidman didn't have the charisma to match Hogan on the mic, and Hogan surely wasn't going to keep up with Kidman's high-flying cruiserweight style in the ring, but in a different setting, I could imagine a moderately successful program with Kidman as the underdog babyface against an unambiguously-heel Hollywood Hogan (even this is a stretch - I don't think Kidman ever had the presence to be a believable opponent for Hogan, but he was a talented guy who could have maybe had an upper-midcard run). But it definitely had no chance of working with... well, whatever the hell Russo was doing then.
It was enough to get me to believe things would change, but I was impossibly naive. Kidman feuding with Hogan was unthinkable in 1998. Cruiserweights were jokes to heavyweights. We all love that who are you to doubt El Dandy promo, 'cause it was legit hilarious, but it was demonstrative of WCW's caste system. When Kidman called out Hogan, there was a hot minute where it felt like WCW was about to blow all that up and let people ascend.

But, well... yeah.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He went by the nickname of The Dehli Boy and did the nWo audio updates on the nWo's website.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WCW got huge by having the top heels constantly get heat and never get much of a comeuppance, and when they flailed about in their dying days, they just. Kept. Trying that.

They killed every babyface to get heels over at a time when fans were gagging for a babyface.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

overmind2000 posted:

Was there ever a Monday night where The Rock and Juvi were using the same catch phrase at the exact same time? That must have happened at least once
Juvi only did the Rock bit for like two weeks, so I doubt it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Super Dan posted:

I'm pretty sure this happened first.
Correct. This was during Jericho's debut in WWE the fall of '99. Not sure if it was in the unedited version of his Millennium Countdown debut or shortly thereafter.

Juvi's short-lived The Juice gimmick happened later and may have been a response to that moment, but I've never heard either way.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 23, 2020

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you all agree with Bryan and friends that people like Malenko and Kidman, no matter how talented or over they were, just weren't cut out to be main eventers? That even great wrestlers can have a place that is lower on the card?
I think Kidman could've been great as the fourth guy in a main event four-way for the title with maybe a brief feel-good run or two if the fans got behind him as an underdog. He was a poo poo interview, but he never really had too much of a chance to grow in that arena.

At a certain point, though, it did get tiresome that people who never used powerbombs would try to powerbomb him. But he and Rey were my favorite wrestlers until Lance's run there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Better Than You posted:

I can't remember if it happened under Russo or not but at one point they decided to turn Hall's alcoholism into an angle.
That was almost exactly a year before Russo at the build-up to Halloween Havoc '98. It was fallout from Goldberg's title win, sort of. Hall had been gone during the Wolfpac's split and their babyface run, such as it was, and he returned the night Goldberg won the title on the build-up to Bash at the Beach that year with Rodman and Malone. Goldberg had to beat him before he faced Hollywood in the main event to win the title, and it was a bit of a surprise that he returned with the black and white when he was OG Wolfpac. Hell, it was his name, I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, the natural angle of him feuding with Nash waited three PPVs, and that's when Hall started coming to the ring drunk during the build-up to his match with Nash, and kept yelling things like "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN MY LIFE FELL APART!?" Hall "won" the Halloween Havoc match because Nash beat the poo poo out of him and left him laying in the middle of the ring for what theoretically could've been a decisive, clean win, but having proved his point, he left without pinning Scott.

It was a weird angle, but the build to that show had this fuckin' awesome angle where the Wolfpac hosed up nWo Hollywood's limo and then brawled with them through the show and then Sting beat the gently caress out of Bret Hart.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I often wonder how many of Bischoff's problems could've been caused by his alcohol consumption.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The thing most people don't understand about Hulk is that he isn't a liar. He's like Vince and Trump. He believes those things actually happened.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sandman McMahon posted:

Since this thread is supposed to be about The WCW I just wanna throw out that I recently learned there’s a Goldberg/Bret Hart action figure set that specifically recreates the time that stupid idiot Goldberg tried to spear Bret in Canada and got owned like the stupid idiot he is. Hockey jerseys and steel plates are a deadly combination.
That was the best Bret Hart WCW segment and it's not close.

That was supposed to be the start of his big push, and he was gonna' wrestle Kevin Nash on the Tonight Show after quitting WCW in that segment, but then Owen died.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Disco's version made it worth it to sit through Konnan's version twice a week for a month straight.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Between the weird rights issues, revisionist history, and not wanting to give WWE money ever again, that Network went from a day one purchase to me dropping it a month later and never picking it up again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

He was such a hustler as a teen, he even managed to get licensed as a press photographer so he could get into wrestling events; which led to this famous photo (And the story that it was either Capt Lou or the Grand Wizard who said "This kid should call himself Pauly Dangerously!"

You forgot the best part! He read in a magazine that Vince Sr. ate at a certain steakhouse, then called the company and concocted this big story where he ran into him at that steakhouse and told him he was a photographer and McMahon told him to call the company and get a press pass.

He used his bar mitzvah money to buy a camera and build a dark room and bullshit his way into the wrestling business in the most Heyman way possible.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Win Ben Stein's money was a total scam, 'cause if Ben was losing, they'd throw him questions about 1970s politics.

Ben Stein was Nixon's speech writer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He also had one that said FUBAR as in “gently caress U Bischoff And Russo” because Vinny has a permanent erection for abbreviations and acronyms.
I believe that was MIA.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ganso Bomb posted:

If you use dev tools in your browser you can remove the div blocking the content. There's an interview with him there and in between getting heavy and being serious, he cracks some jokes like the Mongo of old.
Is there an easy way to do this non-coders can figure out with some instruction?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fellas is it gay to sell an angle with makeup?

gently caress it. I'll just get brain damage. I'm hungry. Let's get outta' here.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

WCW recycled themes sometimes, the theme that the Hollywood Blondes used was also later used by Greg Valentine and Marty Jannetty, plus Austin post split.
Mongo's music became Hak's theme. Expecting Mongo and then getting Sandman was a nice surprise.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lid posted:

Mortis' theme is straight out of Castlevania or Yngwie Malmsteen
It's a piece of classical music, isn't it? Just gussied up?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Saul Goode posted:

I could have sworn I read somewhere back in the 90s that they had ownership of it and that was one theory behind why he hadn't really tried to jump ship when he could have. Long time ago though, either my memory or the thing I read could be full of poo poo lol.
They owned Diesel, Razor, and 1-2-3, and all those fellas became way bigger stars without them, so even if he couldn't use it, he would've come up with something besides Hickenbottom, probably, and would've been fine.

Until he died of an overdose, anyway.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's a great clip of Edge and Christian in Beyond the Mat where they're watching two fellas the documentary followed in their dark match at a WWE taping and Edge just casually drops that he's gonna' steal their poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't that Thrasher of the Headbangers? (Doesn't matter, Edge still stole poo poo. Like, he started using Gangrel's finisher. Surprised he doesn't start doing the Killswitch.)
It's been years since I've seen it. I definitely could've misremembered.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WCW didn't waste money on Buffer.

They spent money on Buffer, then wasted him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

There will never be another backstage interviewer like Mean Gene
Fuckin' A.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

Mean Gene didn't even really have to do a whole lot to be a great interviewer. Know the angle, know the characters, and guide the conversation to its obvious conclusion. He had a great voice, but other than that, it's not like it's hard to tell a story about two guys who don't like each other getting into a fight.
It had to be more than that or there'd be even a single talent we could mention in the same breath as him, even if said mention was "they could've been as good as Mene Gene."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Not back in the nWo angle. When they brought them back to help Sting during his match with HHH.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RIP to the WCW tag team champion.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kosmo Gallion posted:

When was the first time WCW copied WWF by doing a backstage segment? Not an interview or promo, just wrestlers interacting in the locker room or wherever.
Ooh! I'd like to know this too!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Backstage stuff has been a part of wrestling forever. I think the question is more about the invisible camera style vignettes.

At least I thought.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

Why did the WCW have such lovely cameras? Everything was so gray.
It was also made worse by their pyro. I'm not sure why WWF didn't have thia problem, but WCW's always left this thick haze over the entire arena.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kidman was a play on Billy the Kid, both nicknames owing to their youthful appearance.

He and Juventud should've feuded over it. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aku posted:

There was footage of Warrior and Hogan making peace a day or two before Warrior’s death as well. Warrior laid out all of his grievances and Hogan stood there agreeing with a lot of it and they eventually hugged it out; I wish I could find that video but hopefully someone else had to have seen it too.
The secret to getting Hogan to act halfway decent is to stick a camera on him.

Also, in that jncos pic I never noticed he was out in public wearing a t-shirt his Fall Brawl match like a fuckin' dork.