Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Disco Inferno owned. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Funny, how WWF used to be the best place for a new guy to get over.
Well, they just said it's much better than WCW. That doesn't mean it's good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing beats having a little house for wrestling to come out of at In Your House PPVs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're actually not exactly the same. If you use a picture where you can actually see the letters in Thunder it's much more apparent.

Similar, sure, but not exact.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah, people sometimes forget how loving gouging the phone companies were back in the 80s and 90s about long distance calls.
Now they just gouge on everything else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't remember Rebirth of the Total Package at all since I pretty much watched the first hour of Nitro then switched over to Raw by that point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

this was my 1997:
1st hour of Nitro: Luchas and cruisers, yessssss
Oh hey RAW is on.
I wasn't doing that until 1999 after the fingerpoke of doom. I was a WCW true believer. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WE'RE OUTTA TIME SEE YOU THURSDAY AT THE THUNDERGRI-

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oatgan posted:

That's the ad they have on the show. I want an actual picture of the raft or some kind of physical proof it was a real product. Also worth pointing out that the contest ends on 9/11.

can't it be both?

No, it ends September 11, 2000.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scirocco Griffon posted:

What really makes it is that Schiovane realizes that he's not going to recover from his giggle fit and just starts prodding him on to make him laugh even harder.

COLLEGE!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!
Oh man it even starts with a sweet Glacier vignette!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

With Leather like to put up galleries of old WCW glamour shots every now and then, and their latest batch went up yesterday with some amusing captioning from Brandon Stroud (His one on the 'Total Package' cracked me up).

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/06/this-week-in-horrible-looking-people-wcw

Brandon Stroud alt account spotted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jesus Christ, WCW had a disco gimmick in 1996, making Saturday Night Fever puns.
And he owns. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was Thunder the one where you did Street Fighter moves to do attacks?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sir Jebus posted:

For as much as we relate wrestling to comics, the DC thread in BSS is a WCW refrence.

WCW being terrible crosses into different types of media.
Technically that's one of two DC threads. That one is specifically to talk about how stupid DC is as a company. It was created because that discussion was making it hard to talk about the actual comics. The comparison is fun to make, but DC will never be sold off like WCW was for no reason other than their IP being some of the most valuable in the world.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A midget in a mask? That'll never get over! I don't see this Misterio guy sticking around very long even if he stole Scott Steiner's signature move.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vader is also Ethan Suplee's dad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Putting Warrior on commentary would just be inviting FCC fines and hate speech suits.
It would get complaints sent to the FCC but exactly $0 in fines since TNA is on cable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As terrible as Tony could be at times, he definitely had a good sports announcer voice. He wasn't really too good at things like calling a match or knowing what moves are being performed. So not terribly unlike the current WWE announce teams (with the exception of Regal).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is this the game where you do fighting game moves to do attacks? Like QCF-Triangle does a suplex or whatever?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Please tell me this is an obscure Scotsman joke.

Not enough cum eating.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Doesn't this describe pretty much every wrestling game before World Tour? The War Zone/Attitude devs even felt the need to put a cheat sheet in the pause menu, which I think is just about as clear a sign as you can get that the control scheme is flawed.
It was all of the Acclaim ones on PS1, for sure, but I couldn't remember if this was one of those.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a WCW DVD. Clearly they had to make it as WCW as possible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

I liked that joke because it implies that HHH jobbed to a ghost.

Well, even Dean Ambrose admits he would job to a ghost.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure the Fingerpoke of Doom soured me on WCW for good, but I don't really recall specifically.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

I got all excited because I saw a WCW PPV on the network that was billed as Hogan vs The Butcher.

Turns out it wasn't abdullah the butcher at all and that match is in my top 20 worst WCW things ever.

Who the gently caress seriously paid $25 for the privilege of Ed Leslie in a main event role?

Well, you paid $9.99 for it...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The book? I thought it was pretty clear at stating when there was a booking change. Or as clear as anything in that awfully written book was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, I think there's a world of difference between something that's stupid, and something that's even worse for business by being dangerous as well. The Brawl for All, having entire matches backstage...when was the last time anyone was stupid enough to book a scaffold match?

poo poo. I bet it was TNA. It was TNA, wasn't it?

You guessed it! 2008. Rhyno vs. James Storm

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You probably don't. He'd drool all over you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZApublican posted:

What I want to know is if the nachos were covered with cheese, and if so, what kind.

What? Nachos inherently have cheese otherwise they are just chips.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 13, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The worst part about that Canadian stable was Hacksaw's turn. Here's a guy that had been an all-American borderline-retarded face for decades, his turn should have been shocking and momentous. Instead, not only was it telegraphed for weeks, but it was about exciting as renal failure. poo poo, even WWE did it better when the Brooklyn Brawler became a Red Sox fan.

Actually he is a very smart man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Then why wasn't he in the Varsity Club with decorated collegiate wrestlers like Scott Steiner and Kevin Sullivan?

He was too busy working on his lumber engineering degree to wrestle competitively.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New Jack's health insurance program was just threatening the hospital until they agreed his treatment was free.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had the high big on the raft, but now I do not. I think MRT just won it. I will not be increasing my bid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FWIW, I'm not v***i, but I had my bid at $100. Looks like r***m bid a bunch so maybe Ebay doesn't actually display the real name? hosed up if true!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here's the big history following my $100 bid so it looks like, yeah, it was just a bunch of goons fighting each other lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm so very glad you outbid me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

WCW

Pogs

Please tell me this was a thing.

Given that like 95% of IP-themed pogs were produced in some lovely Chinese paper factory with no licenses, there's like a 100% chance these exist

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

(the Bret Hart role played by Oliver Platt)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pain & Gain is good and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I need a Kevin Nash hat.

By...Thursday.