Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

CVagts posted:

Assuming this is the actual quote from that reboot Nitro, that really should have tipped Russo/Bischoff/Russchoff when 99% of the crowd had no idea what they were referring to.

Between this and having the "buried" young guys as heels among other things during that show I knew the reboot wouldn't work, even as the internet at the time was loving it.

Supreme Allah posted:

I can imagine smug WCW bookers watching and thinking it would fall on its face, and Vince literally making GBS threads himself at the pop 'JERICHO' got when it flashed on the titantron

If anything else, it gave us Sid the Millenium Man

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Moose Bigelow posted:

I thought this was the TNA thread? :psyduck:

TNA is giving Hogan a parade in Orlando on Sunday. WCW did the same exact thing when Hogan arrived. There you go

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ExplodeYourself posted:

Wow, ten years ago today. I wasn't even in high school yet. Man, I feel old.

Second year in college for me. This is one thing that ages everyone.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Today is the 18th anniversary of the first Nitro. Pour one out.

The American Dream posted:

USA used to show a ton of game shows in the afternoon in the 80s and 90s. Press your luck was loving great when you're 7

Oh they aired all sorts of awesome stuff back then.

Also the last time Raw was preempted for the US Open they moved it to Syfy. And later they pushed tennis to CNBC.

And did the Zappa kids host anything worthwhile, I can't think of anything

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Go back to bed, grandpa! (I was 13).

I was 14

Too bad I can't find direct footage of Luger's first appearance on that Nitro because that was a really big deal.

Jack Krauser posted:

Yeah, in 1996-97 they were running a lot of Raws out of tiny arenas and cutting costs all over the place.

Kind of a shame thanks to this Raw was live every other week until the fall of 1999 when they were really in control.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Red posted:

I feel like a lot of us turned to the WWF for good once either Austin was on top or the Fingerpoke of Doom, but we all changed the channel back for Monday Night Jericho.

I noticed in the first couple of months after the Figerpoke ratings didn't really plummet. Only that spring did WCW's slide to the bottom
start. I heard good things about 1999's Spring Stampede, so I think it was right after that.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince had initial purchase rights if WCW was ever up for sale due to some legal battle between the two. I think it was over the Woman's championship being thrown in the bin.

I could be wrong but that's why Eric couldn't buy it. Not that it would matter. Eric buying it would have meant that WCW closed down a year later at the absolute most.

I'm gonna guess the purchase rights was fallout from Vince suing WCW since Hall and Nash were acting like Razor and Diesel.

e: Well it was something like that:

Wikipedia posted:

Shortly after, the WWF filed a lawsuit, alleging that the nWo storyline implied that Hall and Nash were invaders sent by Vince McMahon to destroy WCW, despite the fact that Bischoff asked Nash point blank on camera at The Great American Bash, "Are you employed by the WWF?" to which Nash emphatically replied "No". Another reason for the lawsuit was the WWF claimed Scott Hall acted in a manner too similar to the character Razor Ramon which was owned by the WWF. The lawsuit dragged out for several years before being settled out of court. One of the settlement's terms was the right for the WWF to bid on WCW's properties, should they ever be up for liquidation; an ironic settlement that would prove invaluable in the future.

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 14, 2013

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So looking the numbers up, the last time Nitro did a 4 or better head-to-head was indeed the week after Spring Stampede in 1999. The last time they hit the 5 range in any way was against the Dog Show that February.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Red posted:

Oh, I'm just theorizing a majority of IWC fans likely began a permanent turn to the WWF around then.

I hung around certain places in the final two years or so of WCW when I got back into wrestling and even then there were people who would defend WCW to the death.

Let's just say by that spring/summer WCW really started to embarrass themselves to the point where they couldn't recover.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Happy 15th anniversary, brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPNq3hGWolM

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Who wants to buy official WCW themes?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/wwe-the-music-of-wcw/id853467370

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

laz0rbeak posted:

Nope, Hogan/Flair's double-turn and the ensuing Nash/Savage feud for the title was way more devastating.

Plus DDP's title win without any buildup and heel turn didn't help. I think it was after that (and the logo change) that the plummet to the end really started.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Don't you love how the the top story from that Observer is the assumption WCW finalized a deal with NBC to run shows against WWF ppv's

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yeah I heard the whole story today. I'm just wondering how they would have done if it happened, post-fingerpoke and all.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Another WCW alumn gets a hall of fame ring elsewhere

https://twitter.com/WWEUniverse/status/696159460981657600

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Apparently the final 18 months of Nitro are about to be uploaded to the Network :suspense:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Even better

https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/741314511244791810

The internet loved the reboot, but I knew it would fly over the typical viewer's heads

So far they only uploaded 9 new Nitros from 1999-2000

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Now up in the midst of the network uploading all the remaining Nitros

The last one

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the final episodes of thunder are indeed up

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

mongo :smith:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1385629206084820999

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/WWEDivaDebra/status/1526791812190543872

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I meant that to explain how he was perpetually over, which is another reason he was able to get away with stuff like every match ending in a DQ or brawl to the back. I think he jobbed on PPV twice in his entire WWF career.

if i'm not mistaken the only time goldberg ever got over as a heel was beating up duggan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

just retweeted by jericho

https://twitter.com/numetal_moment/status/1561081965629022209