Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
You should have an RPI Coccer meetup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Avenging Dentist posted:

Rudeness aside, there's a nugget of insight in Chain Chomp's posts. Namely, that having a broader range of skills (especially some more on the "computer science" end of the scale, rather than just "computer programming") will help people to find longer-term, better-paying, and overall more satisfying work.

Aven, I don't think you're being sufficiently productive.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Well I suppose I should make a job posting, considering I'm unemployed.

Languages: PHP, C++/JAVA, PERL, C, Scheme, TI-83 BASIC, Sequel, MSSQL, TI-89 BASIC, RPL, System RPL, JavaScript, jscript, VBScript, VB, C#.NET, D, MSSQL, Scheme, Haskell, O'Caml, Objective-C, Objective-C++, O'Haskell, Haskell Prime, Python, Python 3000, YQL, TSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Prolog, Haklog, Nezha, FORTRAN 77, HP-BASIC, QBASIC, Bywater BASIC, GWBASIC, Scala, Clojure, Groovy, Boo, ANT, Ruby, Cyclone, C++/CLI, HTML, XHTML, XML, XSLT, XSL-FO, Elisp, Common Lisp, MacLisp, BF, BoolF, ColdFusion, Mozart/Oz, G
Frameworks: ASP.NET, MonoRail, MS MVC, ASP.NET MVC, Ruby On Rails, Lift, jQuery, MonoRail
Things you like to do: WoW UI configurations, planning on doing iPhone programs and iPad coding
Availability: Every day, but not at night, that's when I'm raiding.

Edit: typos, forgot Oz

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I put in my notice last November because the job just wasn't cool enough for me, but that doesn't mean it isn't the perfect job for somebody like you. Go to http://careers.thomsonreuters.com/ and you can apply for the position there.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

cliffy posted:

Did you guys just up and quit your jobs without something else lined up? How does that look on your resume?

It looks like I just up and quit. And the reason I'm out of work for more than half a year is something along the lines of "I just didn't feel like working." I don't think I'll have any trouble finding a job.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Paolomania posted:

If anyone looking for work lives in the Kendall Sq Cambridge MA area, has expertise fiddling with bits, and an interest in working on program shepherding in an academic research group send me a PM.

You're a year too late :( Not that I dislike my current job.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

DJ Sizzle posted:

Fresher's

Are you Indian? Are there a lot of Indians that work there?

Edit: I have one doubt. What does the company actually do?

shrughes fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 31, 2011

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

JMilton posted:

Behind the scenes we do have competent people. Our admin and marketing teams are UC Berkeley grads, our music team have degrees from Cal Arts, and our artists attended USC. I don't think this somehow overqualifies us, but I want to assure everybody we're not high school dropouts.

I was going to be nice to you, but I had to point at laugh at this. :(

P.S. How are you capable of judging the difference between a good developer and a bad developer?

shrughes fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 20, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

JMilton posted:

Nothing.

Nothing what?

JMilton posted:

Can you as a developer draw for me a painting,

Yes.

JMilton posted:

compose me a song,

Yes.

JMilton posted:

author me a story,

Yes.

JMilton posted:

arbitrate me a business meeting,

No, but I can teach you the meaning of the word arbitrate.

JMilton posted:

convince me throughout my day

What.

JMilton posted:

and petition me in court?

Not unless you're a court, because courts are the things that get petitioned.

JMilton posted:

Could you do all those things AND code?

I can only do the things that aren't nonsensical, i.e. the ones I said "Yes" to.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure if I can draw for you a painting. It depends on whether you want a drawing of a painting or a painting that was drawn. I could also draw a painting out of a cylindrical tube attached to my belt or strapped to my back, and look fashionable while doing so.

JMilton posted:

There are plenty of things we know that you don't know, and we can help each other.

Actually, I'm not sure if you can help me. With anything. Anyway, I think I should clarify what I was laughing about. It was how you said you have competent people, and then started pretending that listing the universities they went to would help back up that statement. As if we cared.

JMilton posted:

We aren't trying to hold our devs to the 'industry standard.' A capable team will receive MOST of the profits from this game.

Which of course isn't a reply to anything I said to you.

So, my helpful question remains.

How are you capable of judging the difference between a good developer and a bad developer?

shrughes fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 20, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Also, as an exercise, please answer the following questions:

What is your "marketing team" going to be doing during all the time that programmers and artists are developing the product?

You're paying in equity, right? What will the vesting schedule be?

How did you calculate that 3+1 programmers would be needed?

You (until lately) had a pretty cohesive design team? And now you don't have a team? Did they all leave? Why did they leave? How much equity did they take with them?

How much money do you expect to raise on Kickstarter? How much money does a good software developer intern earn per month, in California?

Why did you pick this project to work on? Do you have domain expertise in the subject?

Please tell us about the time you most successfully hacked some (non-computer) system to your advantage.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

JMilton posted:

So you can draw this
http://i.imgur.com/O18ws.jpg

Yep.

With some instrument substitutions.

By the way, this entire conversation that you've started, about things I don't know how to do (such as drafting my own legal documents instead of paying a lawyer to do it, advocating on my own behalf instead of paying a lawyer to do it, bringing an arbitrator to my business meetings..), has nothing to do with the post I made. Which was about two things.

1. Your efforts to convince us that your people know what they're doing.

2. The question of how you can discern between good and bad software developers.

Thing 1 of my post is pretty much irrelevant by now. I had my laugh and now I'm done. All I found amusing was the detailed irrelevant description of the various universities your team members have graduated from. As if being a graduate from a university was a sure-fire signal of excellence or, the details, relevant.

Thing 2 is still unanswered.

I'm not sure why

wait a second

I just reread your latest reply.

JMilton posted:

legitimate contracts

JMilton posted:

arbitrating meetings between potential clients,

JMilton posted:

You are indeed a very industrious person,

Something we know that you don't know is that we know you like to sprinkle in big words you don't understand. Examples:

arbitrate
industrious
legitimate
deep
shamed
personal hygiene

JMilton posted:

I think software interns make a decent amount of money in California since CA is one of the few states to really protect developers.

California does nothing to "really protect developers" in ways relevant to programming intern wages. Programming intern wages are a function of market forces. (One notable CA law says that any work done outside the workplace using employees' own time and resources remains the property of the employee, and that employees can't sign this away, but that has nothing to do with software development interns' wages.)

JMilton posted:

One of the reasons we organized in California (YES WE CARE ABOUT OUR WORKING CONDITIONS, IMAGINE THAT.)

This is where you reveal yourself to be a crazy person, because there's nothing to stop you from caring about your employees' working conditions (in their parents' basements) in other states. You could at least try being rational.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 20, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

JMilton posted:

I don't know why you're asking me about interns, but I'd like to know why though!

Because it's an interesting exercise to take the amount of money you can expect to raise on Kickstarter and divide it by the monthly income of a single software development intern. After all, people still in college or soon to graduate are probably the only ones starry-eyed enough to go for what you're offering, especially when folks who did actual work have been kicked out with nothing.

JMartin posted:

Yes, you would have to sign an NDA.

You're being absurdly paranoid if you think some software developer is going to steal your idea for a video game and put it in action and outcompete you. You want people to sign an open invitation for you to sue them in exchange for talking to you. You have nothing to offer them in exchange. You have delusions of grandeur if you think the idea is a valuable part of this venture.

JMartin posted:

You're a pedant and you attack me for using "arbitrate" at probably a good enough time.

I'll take your use of "probably" as an admission that you don't know what the word means.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

BonoMan posted:

Required Skills

Quick learner - your present skills aren’t as important as your proven ability to solve complex problems quickly and efficiently.

Direct and proven experience working with HTML5, CSS, PHP, MySQL, WordPress, and Facebook Apps

:rolleyes:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Fal-Cone posted:

I was going to email you and give you a job and a pony but I'm too lazy to despamproof your email address, so I won't.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It's the 5 in HTML5, the WordPress and Facebook that I was rolling my eyes at (in conjunction with the previous line), not the 'MP aspects of the description.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

BonoMan posted:

Do you mind explaining "why?" I'll pass it on to our team that posts our job descriptions to maybe they can fine tune their descriptions.

"'Why?'"?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
My beefs are not with what you do, it's not a beef either, it's a rolling of eyes at the two lines which contradict one another.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 14, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Going back for a reread, the posting is just full of typical job posting hilarity.

quote:

Direct and proven experience working with HTML5, CSS, PHP, MySQL, WordPress, and Facebook Apps

Not just experience,

quote:

HTML5, CSS3, PHP, MySQL

Double-experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Yes, I'd love to work long hours in a distraction-filled environment. Send me a PM.

• Locked thread