Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
Languages: Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP
Frameworks: Rails, Sinatra, HTML::Mason, CakePHP, jQuery, ExtJS, and more!
Dislikes: Shopping carts, startups, real estate
Availability: Projects only, no hourly commitments

I work full time as an open source web application developer and system administrator in higher education. I am interested in custom application development for schools, nonprofits, and small businesses, especially those working in research, education, or the arts. I can also help you implement open source single signon for web applications and UNIX systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, Google sure is a site written in PHP with a MySQL backend, like basically everyone here is posting as their "experience".

you're the one posting like all web apps are brochures. either you're stupid or pretending to be stupid, get the gently caress out

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
You don't say it, but it sounds like you need someone to write a custom module for use with Drupal's webform module? I've never worked with Drupal before but I've written a lot of PHP/LDAP glue scripts, so I could probably bang this out over the weekend. My contact info is already in the thread.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

JMilton posted:

We've already spent well over 50 hours researching the potential market and probably another 50 hours assembling a business model; it's not unreasonable for us to want to protect these things, and our NDA literally specifies what we're protecting--it's not some bog standard, open source NDA. It's just until lately we never dealt with anything software related, even though we're a software company. Sounds nuts but don't you wonder why you're paid so much? It's because to most people it's a crazy moon language that works by magic.

No offense but a programmer might spend 50 hours just researching and pulling together all the tooling he'll need to do one iteration of your project. If he's lacking the thousands of hours of applied practice that it takes to be a good developer then it will take a lot longer and each iteration will go more slowly to boot.

It may seem like magic moon language but I assure you it's like any other creative process, except more highly constrained. Everyone understands that a movie represents the director's creative decision making and the work of dozens or hundreds of people off-screen. However, few non-developers can appreciate the kinds of decision-making a programmer has to do when translating specifications into software.

Every client that's ever come to me with speculative work always thinks their idea is well-developed and just needs someone to wave their ten little magic wands and through some kind of clerical key-mashing, transform it into a product. They always try to woo me with promises of equity and even ownership of the code, ignoring that the code is worthless without a profitable business behind it.

I have learned to refuse this type of work even if the ideas are good because invariably this type of inexperienced client never has the will or resources to bring their design documents up to snuff. They want to skip that and save money by hiring rockstar coders to jump in the deep end, but their own ignorance gets the better of them since coders who fancy themselves rockstars and are willing to work on speculation are probably the inexperienced type that burn out after iterating themselves into a corner (and rewriting things that were ambiguous in the original design). A few months later I'll see the same job ads, except with "Our offshore developer didn't pan out, so we're looking for rockstars!"

Novo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 21, 2012

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

JMilton posted:

Thanks for this. Good insight. What does "well-developed" mean exactly?
Maybe "fully formed" or "comprehensive" would have been a better term. Unless your design materials were written by a developer or in collaboration with actual game developers chances are there are they don't come close to accounting for the kinds of tradeoffs a programmer is dealing with when trying to create software which is portable, fast, maintainable, extensible, etc. It may turn out that 5% of your desired features will account for 90% of the complexity, you just don't know because you're designing the thing you want to see not the process that will make it real.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

JMilton posted:

Bastards! Thank you though, to Cicero. I was using bro ironically there, don't worry.

Do you have any examples or readings about this that isn't spam from DeVry? Would like to know more.

I'm sure there is stuff out there but I'd just be googling for you.

The main point is as others have said you are approaching this from the wrong angle, you are acting like you're in the "hand over design, receive code" phase when you should be preparing to do another design iteration with your actual developers so you can get a feel for how designs become code.

If this were your promotional website I would say find a scrappy agency whose work you like and let them have at it, but this is your baby and babies are expensive. You can't cheat the learning process, this is why good developers are paid well and hard to find as you observe.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

Do you mind explaining "why?" I'll pass it on to our team that posts our job descriptions to maybe they can fine tune their descriptions.

When the spirit of first two sentences of a job ad are contradictory, it's less a matter of fine tuning and more a matter of being coherent.

Good programmers like coherence and are professionally pedantic. This is a good thing. When I read an incoherent job ad my brain goes into auto-skip mode. If you think this is "sperging" then please don't change your ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
The problem with SEO is all the real experts are going to be at least $150/hour and their work will be subject to the perpetual arms race that is search engines vs SEO experts, meaning you'll see very little return on that investment unless it's an ongoing thing you're doing.

My advice for a small business would be to certainly make sure your site is crawlable by search spiders but don't waste money on SEO voodoo.

• Locked thread