Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Does anyone have any experience with the smaller cintiq, the 12wx, and could give comments? I read that the screen wasn't so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I totally forgot this thread was here, so cross-posting from the 3D art thread:

I have a program that requires ctrl to be held when scrolling (for example with a mouse wheel) in order to scroll through frames in an image; I was hoping that I could bind this to the touch strip on my Cintiq so that I could just use the touch strip to scroll, but I'm not sure how to designate scroll as part of a key combination in the wacom tablet preferences utility. Currently I'm pressing one of the Expresskeys for ctrl and using the touch strip, but since I do a lot of scrolling it's killing my thumb.

Any of you guys know how to do this?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Jack the Lad posted:

e: The post above looks pretty cool but unfortunately shipping to the UK costs as much as the tablet itself.

You could try the low-end of Wacom's line, the Bamboo series.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
One of the springs on my cintiq stand is hosed, and now I can't lower the tablet from vertical. Does anyone have any experience with getting a stand repaired, and are there any OEM replacement products that I should look into?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Don't get a stand. Seriously. Get an eragtron arm. It goes with the cintiq like PBJ. I love mine and they are completely adjustable.

I haven't looked closely at those arms, but is the clamp going to damage my table, or leave a mark of any kind?

Also what model do you use?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Locus posted:

All I need out of my Cintiq is the screen and pen. The surface keys and selector, sliders, and pen buttons are useless, since I just operate a Logitech G13 with my off-hand:

I'm using a Razer Nostromo at home but was thinking of getting another pad for work- have you tried the Razer as well? I'm wondering how the two compare.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Noah posted:

So I was poking around my campus bookstore, which also sells equipment, and they had a non-retina Macbook Pro for 1099 on clearance. I was looking at Cintiq's 22HD display https://www.wacom.com/store/pages/product?product=DTK2200&crumb=DF740487-4401-4D44-A3DC-BE552253C0E6 and combined with this swivel mount http://www.amazon.com/LX-Desk-Mount-LCD-Arm/dp/B00358RIRC/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z seems like it could be a really great setup. It should come to be around $3500 after taxes and whatnot, does this sound like a worthy investment for someone who makes their career out of it?

Double check that the arm is rated to hold the weight of that cintiq. I have an earlier, non-HD cintiq and it was just at the limit of my arm; I'm not sure how generous the ratings are as far as how much heavier you can get before the arm fails. The impression I get with my setup is that I may not be able to go much past the current cintiq's weight before I'd run into problems. It is a great setup for working though- I'm not a graphics professional, I use it for other stuff mostly, but it's a lot easier than dealing with the lovely stand that comes with the monitor.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Noah posted:

For sure, thank you for pointing that out. Looks like the Cintiq runs 18.7 pounds (though the shipping weight is substantially more, like 29 pounds, wtf) and the swing arm has a potential to hold up to 20 pounds, with a caveat that extra thick displays may reduce effective load bearing.

I think you would be fine, actually. I have a thicker and heavier, older cintiq, and I'm right at the weight limit for my arm- the 22 coming in over a pound under should be okay on that arm.

The shipping weight is higher because it ships with its own stand, and if it's built the same as the one I got, it's heavy on its own. Then there are the other accessories, cables, etc.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Main reason is that the Surface Pro only has an I5 in it and the X230T I can outfit with an I7 and up to 16 gigs of ram. This makes a HUGE difference for Zbrush and probably Photoshop too.

Will it make that big a difference for Zbrush? It's not 64-bit.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zvezda posted:

Yeah, I hate the idea of paying for all that gamer rubbish.

It's worth it, I find it incredibly valuable and easier to use than having to rest my hand on the Cintiq buttons and manipulate the touchstrip. Logitech makes a gamepad too, the G13, which may be a little cheaper and is less flashy looking but I don't know how well it works.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

keyframe posted:

Got a Intuos 5 small yesterday and liking it a lot. I am going to go pick up a wireless kit for it today and I fully expect that to be the best thing since the invention of Nutella.

edit: oh my god this is the best thing :pcgaming:

Can you comment on how the touch screen helps out? I've got an Intuos 4 and was wondering if it was one of those things that after you use it, you can't believe you ever worked without it (like the jump from mouse to pen tablet in the first place).

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I had a really weird effect happening with my Intuos 4 pen for a few weeks, not quite as you described, instead my pen was locked "on" and wouldn't stop providing input to the tablet, so I couldn't end the stroke. Replacing my nib fixed it- apparently it was worn down too much and I didn't realize it. This doesn't sound like the same thing and probably won't help, but who knows.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Aurora-Capitah posted:

Maybe I should just stick to pencil and paper.

You probably should, if you've already tried it and aren't sold on using one, no sense in wasting money.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I have an old Intuos 4 tablet that still works fine but I can't find my pen. How can I be sure that a replacement pen will work on my tablet? I've tried swapping pens between the intuos 4 and cintiq 21 at work and they don't work, but this product is advertised as for Intuos4/Cintiq21.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

kefkafloyd posted:

There are two models of Cintiq 21UX. One is the Intuos3 model, the DTZ-2100. While the intuos4 compatible model is the DTK-2100. Your Cintiq at work is probably the DTZ, while my Cintiq 21UX is the DTK model and uses the Intuos4 pens.

All Intuos4 models and the ones made after it (Intuos5, Intuos Pro, Cintiq DTK-2100, the 22/24/27 inch cintiqs) use the Intuos4 pen tech and all of the pens are compatible.

What about this Intuos pen that they have for sale? I'd much rather buy a 30 dollar pen than shell out 60 bucks.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

kefkafloyd posted:

That is for Bamboo / "Intuous Pen & Touch" tablets. They use a different digitizer. It will not work.

You want to buy the actual Intuos 4 / pro pens.

Thank you.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

pandaK posted:

also disable legacy compatibility on wacoms so that you can actually use all 2048 degrees of sensitivity which is turned on by default (meaning you were only using 1024) lol

Goddamn, where do I do that? In the driver?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Hey when cleaning a wacom pen with soapy water, how super scared do I have to be about getting water inside the thing? I don't want to kill the pen accidentally because water got inside it and never got out.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

windex posted:

Also, Listerine, I would just use an alcohol wipe then let it dry unless you're going to do the thing I describe below - there's a circuit board with very delicate connectors inside (my younger stupid dog once decided to bite a Pro Pen in half).

The Pro Pen and Art Pen both have removable sleeves around the pen grip area for ease of cleaning. Just unscrew the front cap like you were going to replace the stylus and it should slide down (squeeze and push it from the back of the grip forward). You may need a paperclip to work it over the button, especially on the art pen.

Wash that with dish soap (removes the grease that soaks into the silicone sleeve), let it dry, slide it back on.

That's good to know, thanks. Unfortunately it's the other half that's the problem- the half towards the eraser end is super sticky for some reason, and I just did a careful wipe with rubbing alcohol and it's not helping. Still sticky.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I got to goof around with a Surface Studio for 5 minutes at the mall the other day, I thought it was a pretty slick piece of equipment, but couldn't get past the fact that once the computer part is obsolete you won't be able to use the monitor anymore. I think it's probably more cost effective to go with an external tablet or Cintiq that you can move from computer to computer.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

bitmap posted:

Some are 16:10 but since moving image professionals are making everything at 16:9 and more and more often exporting at 4k it makes pretty fine sense for a screen to be designed to display media at it's native resolution and aspect. What do you want? 4:3? Are there bespoke aspect ratios?

16:9 and 16:10 are designed for viewing media, but 4:3 aspect ratio is actually preferable for a lot of user functions. When I use Zbrush on my ultra widescreen monitor there's tons of wasted space on either side. A 30" 4:3 monitor would be more useful. Anything involving coding tends to benefit from 4:3 aspect ratio too.

To chime in on longevity, I've been using a Cintiq 21UX for going on 8 years, it's been holding up well.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 29, 2016

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

I'm really interested in the Canvas, has anyone seen any independent reviews?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EvilElmo posted:

What is the microsoft surface studio like?

It has a decently large screen which is not widescreen format- the resolution is 4500 x 3000 pixels I think, so it's more of a square screen. The screen is on an armature with a base so that it can be swiveled from upright to almost flat, so you can use it like a desktop computer screen or like a drawing surface. In the base, there is a computer which you can order in one of three configurations that differ by the processor (i5 or i7), RAM (8 GB- 32 GB), video card (2 GB or 4 GB), and hard disk size (1 TB - 2 TB). It comes with a stylus, keyboard, and mouse, but you have to pay extra if you want one there dial thingies. The base has USB ports and an option for video out to a second monitor, can't remember if it was HDMI or display port or whatever, but you can extend your desktop if you need.

The dial is a piece of technology that can sit on the desk or on the screen itself, and you can rotate it to change some parameter. The parameters that you can change with the dial depend on the integration of the tech with the program you're using, and since it's new I don't know what programs have added support for it. If you get a demo in a microsoft store, the clerk will use it with some drawing program that Microsoft sells, and they will show how you can set it to the color palette so as you're drawing with one hand you can change the color parameter and thus change the color of the stroke as you draw. Right now it's a little gimmicky and I don't think they're doing themselves any favors charging people an extra 100 bucks or whatever to get it if they actually want software developers to start integrating it into their code.

Overall I liked playing with it in the microsoft store, it worked decently well; it's more like something I would expect Apple to put out as far as design goes. I had problems with one model in terms of tracking the stylus and not getting confused by my hand but the second one I goofed around with worked perfectly, so maybe it was just a settings thing on the first model I tried (or maybe it was suffering from dozens of people a day goofing around with it). The price tag isn't horrible if you think of it in the terms that you're getting both a computer and a really hi res tablet monitor, it starts at $3000 and the highest configuration is $4200. But on the other hand, you're now locked to the specs of the computer and the screen is married to it; personally I prefer to build my own computer so I know what's in it and can change the video card, RAM, etc whenever I want, and I liked being able to update the screen independently. If I'm spending my own money I would probably go with the Dell canvas, but if my chair has any leftover money in the budget at the end of the year I will probably ask for a surface studio since I need an office computer upgrade anyways and overall you end up with a smaller footprint on the desk due to the integration of the screen and computer into one unit with the surface.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Has there been any updates on the Dell Canvas? I thought preorders were supposed to start in March but I haven't seen anything.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I just got a Surface Studio at work. Does anyone have one and use it with Zbrush? Running into a few issues with it and googling isn't helping me out any.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Question for anyone that's used a Surface- if I press a modifier key like the Shift key and use the pen, I get a small text box at my cursor that says Shift. This is extraordinarily annoying because it covers a bit of the screen where I'm trying to work. Is there a setting I can select that will shut that off? I'm not even sure what to search for since I don't know what this feature is called.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Elsa posted:

I'm turning off settings all the time when I sit down at different computers. In windows 10 there are a few different places to look. First is Windows button -> settings -> Devices -> pen and windows ink. (or windows button -> pen settings) I turn off "Show Visual Effects" when I get a white ring around the cursor

The other place is windows button -> pen and touch settings (search and it comes up in the results) -> press and hold -> settings. turn off "Enable press and hold for right-clicking"

Last option I try when things go wrong is turning off "Use Windows Ink" in wacom settings. Not sure what that might do for you on a native tablet device like a Surface. I'm a huge prick

Thanks, I've tried all those and it takes care of the white ring and such but it does nothing for the Shift/Alt etc tooltip box, which is apparently a built in feature of Ink which cannot be turned off. Since it's not a Wacom tablet I don't have access to that, I looked a bit more and I'm going to try shutting off Ink and switching to the Wintab driver but I think I have to do registry edits and other bullshit like that which I hate to do for fear of not being able to undo a mistake. It boggles my mind that someone would design a tablet monitor device and then have visual clutter right where I want to sculpt that I can't turn off.

In case anyone following the thread was interested, I would highly NOT recommend a Surface Studio if you're using Zbrush or any old versions of Adobe products (before CS6).

tvgm2 posted:

Can you post the keymap you use for the Tartarus?

I'm using an Orbweaver which is pretty much the same thing, I don't use it for Photoshop since I don't paint, but these devices are excellent in that you can set up the key bindings any way you want that supports your workflow. I've used them for tasks as different as gaming, sculpting in Zbrush, and quantifying anatomical morphology in neuroscience research. I usually have a period for any program where I bounce keymappings around based on how I actually use the software, but once I have everything dialed in where I want it, it makes working in any software that uses keyboard shortcuts so much better. When I use it for my research projects for example, I'm generally processing hundreds of images per experiment, and not having to move my fingers across a keyboard might only save a bit of time per image but it adds up in a hurry. Where you want shortcuts mapped will also depend on how large your hands are relative to the device and what ends up being most comfortable for you.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

bitmap posted:

seriously considering getting one of those "gamer keypads" with the corny names. do any of them have a thumb scroll that I could map to rolling in animation programs?

The Razer Orbweaver and Tartarus do not. The older model Razer used to put out, the Nostromo, had one but it was really poorly implemented, I wouldn't recommend searching one out for it. You can keymap scroll up and scroll down from the mouse scroll wheel to a button on the Tartarus/Orbweaver, but you get one unit of scroll for one button press, so if you wanted to execute fluid scrolling, you'd have to hit the key multiple times, which is quite annoying. If you use the joystick on the device, to which scroll up/down are default mapped, you still have to click the joystick once for each unit of scroll, but it's less mechanically fatiguing to use the joystick than to use the keypad buttons. There may be a workaround but I haven't looked for it. It's irritating but the mapping for page up/page down will continually move while holding down the button, so if you can use those keys for your rolling or scrubbing or whatever in whichever software you use, then you'd be set.

Logitech also has a keypad you could search for, I've never used it and don't know if it has a scroll wheel.

Even without a good mapping of the mouse scroll, I can't recommend these things enough, they're really useful. It's almost liked they looked at the criticism on the scroll wheel on the nostromo and just took it out instead of fixing it, which is super disappointing.

One thing I've never tried is macros- so you may be able to create a macro where when you hit a key, it repeats the action until you hit it again, that would solve the problem somewhat. --Ok I just tried Macros. So, you can record button presses to build a macro, and then assign that to a key, and you have the option to have the macro continuously execute until the next keypress. So that would work, EXCEPT the record function doesn't detect the mouse scroll wheel. But if your software uses any other keyboard button press to do the same job as the mouse scroll wheel, then you would be okay.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 27, 2017

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Dell now has the canvas listed on their site for shipping starting tomorrow.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Electricb7 posted:

Oh poo poo.
That price isn't as bad as I though either. Same as a Cintiq.

Currently only available through Dell, but will be making it to other distributors (like Amazon, I assume) in first quarter 2018.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

windex posted:

Just posting to the thread after about a month of using the Dell Canvas 27, and it's pretty nice.

Mini review: My photo editing workflow has certainly returned to Wacom 27QHD levels of speed. Don't love the pen with no eraser for drawing, but it works well enough otherwise. Screen 'feel' blows away the Surface but doesn't quite reach 27QHD texturing. No problems with apps, including Clip Studio. Would buy again.

Have you used Zbrush at all with it?

Does it do anything annoying like put a tooltip on the screen when you press a modifier key? I was looking to pick one up in the new year when they release the product to 3rd party vendors like amazon.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

For problem programs, go to Properties > Compatibility, click 'override scaling' and set it to one of the System options. That should force the program to display at the correct scaling; it will likely still be grainy, but if your current solution is to change the screen res then that won't make a difference anyway.

Oh my god this just made my day. I've been suffering on the Surface Studio for 9 months now.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Anyone else having problem making their surface book actually work with pressure sensitivity in photoshop? I feel like this is a driver issue or some kind of windows setting.

Weird that it works fine in autodesk sketchbook and zbrush but not photoshop.

I had the exact same problem in reverse, where touch sensitivity worked in other apps but not Zbrush (the only one I actually needed it for). This was on Surface Studio.

Neon Noodle posted:

It has to do with Wintab IIRC?

Finding and installing old drivers fixed the issue, if I remember correctly yes, it was for Wintab. I found the installer for Wintab-1.0.0.18-64-bit, you can try searching for that.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Should probably just upgrade to CC - been putting it off because I despise cloud based software.

The Tablet Pro software seems like just what I needed. Still fiddling with the free trial but it works pretty well so far.

I don't really want to carry around an additional peripheral if I can help it.

I would do a trial to make sure the sensitivity works before throwing money at a software upgrade, cloud based software is a horrible idea. It's super annoying when the software you paid for won't run because your internet went down.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

squirrelzipper posted:

I mean I get the dislike for the CC business model but unless your internet goes down for 30+ consecutive days the software will run just fine. It doesn’t require a network to run.

I fundamentally do not like the model. If I've paid for the software, I should be able to use it any time I want once it's installed, without having to check the internet. But more importantly, there are cases with my laptop where I'm working either without a network or behind a strict firewall, or I haven't used it in a month. And if I'm lecturing I do not have time to run a license check, I need the software to work immediately, not in 1 minute, not in 5 minutes, not next time I get near a network, I need it that moment. So personally I avoid that poo poo as much as possible because while most of the time it works, that one moment of inconvenience happens to be a burden too great, and I'm not interested in getting burned again.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

squirrelzipper posted:

doesn’t happen, at least not with CC.

Mea culpa. I meant "don't have a reliable connection to the internet" in general. My internet's been going down every night this past week for an hour here and there and that's what was on my mind.

I understand you don't need to be connected to the internet to use CC, but does it do periodic license checks, and shut you out if enough checks fail?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

bitmap posted:

"We haven't quite worked out how to make a working tablet display yet" said wacom spokesperson Burt Pricegouge, who seemed irritated to be at his own product release as he shifted in his oversized suit. "But here's a bad computer you can plug into the back of our garbage I guess lol"

Why would you buy that thing? It's essentially just a computer right?

Am I missing something?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Wowporn posted:

while people are paying attention to this thread, what's the most ergonomic kinda chair to use while working at a digital art workstation? I have my tablet monitor mounted on an arm which makes it nice and positionable, but i think the big back part on my regular rear end office computer chair makes it hard for me to get good arm movement. Is there like a good ergonomic stool type thing that would work well? Something with a small/no back piece so it doesn't get in the way of my arm? A couple of the art rooms at my school had those nice rear end steelcase leap drafting stools but I know I won't be able to afford one of those/I'm not sure something that tall would fit well at my computer desk

Steelcase is worth the money, I have the regular Leap chair and it's been fantastic. But they are expensive if you buy new.

Look in your area for vendors of remaindered office furniture- places that buy up the furniture from companies that go under. You may be able to get a deal that way. I got my chair half off the retail price; it was still expensive, but much more in my price range.

My girlfriend got this office chair from Ikea that she likes- the back is narrow, and the arm rests are there, but minimal, so they don't get in the way of my arms but I can use them when I want to.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
You can probably not attach the arms on the one I posted when you put it together, if you like the chair otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I guess I'm answering my own question with a surface book, but those are much more expensive and I'm unsure how good the pressure sensitivity is?

I have no idea about the Surface Book, but I have a 1st generation Surface Studio at work that would not work with pressure sensitivity in Zbrush. I had to dig around online and find some old Wintab driver buried in a forum somewhere in order to enable pressure sensitivity. Even then I find it's a little overexaggerated- I have to set Zintensity lower when I work on the Surface Studio compared to when I'm at home using my old Intuos 4. I'd highly recommend finding folks that specifically have experience using Zbrush on a surface product before committing; I greatly prefer sculpting on my Intuos 4 to the Studio.