Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
I just got issued my boots today, oh boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Having more than one pair of boots would be great. Having a small pack would be even better!

Anyone else hear about the Via Rail deal? 100% discount on selected trains if you book soon. Small print located at http://www.viarail.ca/en/canadian-forces

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm supposed to go on basic in about two weeks but haven't gotten confirmation or any details on travel poo poo. Should I be worried?

I wasn't told about my basic course until around lunch on the day the course started.

In the same boat as you for SQ right now. Is your course being held in Edmonton too?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
BIQ was not fun.

Half the course were terrible shitpumps who would complain about getting three range days in a row or other awesome infantry stuff. The course staff wouldn't RTU anyone regardless of how much they hosed up. Only one guy got an RTU, and that was because he couldn't pass the god drat CF EXPRES test. Seven pushups. SEVEN. I don't think we made a single timing, even with generous time constraints. 20 minutes to poo poo shower shave and be formed up? How can you possibly gently caress that up?

SQ was awesome though, every course should be taught by 1VP PPCLI.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Slippery posted:

Huh, you guys have a specialty code for "sex murder pilot?" I bet they get a lot of applicants

He tied one of his victims to a pole with a pair of CF issue thermal underwear.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

The nice new ones or the old waffle poo poo? This is important.

Nice new ones!

Agent Escalus posted:

So how difficult is basic, anyway? I know it's supposed to be tough, but have things gotten tougher in the past few years? One person who I know through the social circle apparently is giving up and looking into the local police because he can't pass it.

My BMQ had about a 50% dropout rate. Most people dropping out because it was "hurting their grades" or they were "losing money going coming here." It was one of those lovely weekend courses which last forever and destroy your social life.

That being said Basic is not terribly difficult, mind drives the body and all that.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Regs also state that drivers are supposed to get a minimum of 6 hours sleep.

On driver wheeled, the regs are 8 hours now. Oh god three 40 min powerpoint lectures and one practical period on HOW TO USE THIS STANDARD WINCH FOR SECURING JERRY CANS

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Almost looking like we know what we're doing with the change arms.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Those chaps over on the island are doing wonderful PR for the CF!

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Canadian+Forces+soldiers+facing+multiple+charges/6422124/story.html

Couple CanScots involved in an armed robery.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Someone with email access look up what their ranks are, tia.

New guys. Just finished their courses the last summer. Quite the pumps from what I've heard from our guys who've had the pleasure of training or training with them.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Someone make with this guy's unit. I want to know if I should hate 1RCHA just a little bit more.

Tyson Larry Shiels of 1RCHA, apparently.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Saw them at the regimental dinner. The advise I heard was "Salute anyone with a crown" with the argument being that you'll get yelled at less for saluting a warrant than not saluting a major.

I really, really hope that rumors of peaked caps and service dress uniforms are bullshit.

It's pretty much impossible to mix up the two ranks. You can spot the WOs crown from space.

Garrison dress should make a return.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
We can't procure boots in a timely manner. BOOTS.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Mind sending some our way? I have new troops getting one (1) pair of boots as part of their initial issue.

e: reserves.txt

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

Everybody knows all the top-of-the-line, secret military technology goes to Kingston and Ottawa.

Like brown boots and shirts with velcro pockets.

Canadian flags that can be observed from space.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Barrakketh posted:

There is something immensely satisfying about holding and firing the old C1 rifle. You get the sense a motherfucker is not getting up after you slap him down with 1 round (or the buttstock). I could finally understand why the old dinosaurs like to go on about it, but holy poo poo Is it ever designed for a different era.

You even notice the difference as soon as you get one in your hands, let alone fire one. The quality of manufacture was just that much better. Easy to understand why the crusty older folk thought the C7 was a toy when they first were issued out.

Yeah, small arms was a sweet course.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Wait they still give cadets rifles? It was a big deal when I was an air cadet that we used Lee Enfield .22s, then they all got taken away and replaced with pellet rifles

Last year we taught some seniors the shooting package from BMQ over the course of a month. Took them to the range and let 'em rip with the C7s (In a safe and controlled manner, of course!)

This year, machine guns :rms:

(Assuming someone higher doesn't take offence at the Army cadets doing... Army things? Apparently the C7s were quite the stretch last year, but it seems one of our affiliated corps CO's has some clout. I'm not exactly acclimatized to the Cadet Politics, I just help train them to be child sol- fine upstanding members of Canadian society on occasion)

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

I take issue with that.

There's hardly any ammo for training in the reserves and Cadets are being given C9/C6s? That's full-on bullshit. Not to mention that if one of them got hurt (somehow I dunno teenagers are dumb as gently caress) the media furor would be stupendous.

Cadets have no business whatsoever being near an LMG.

Having spent some time planning around this at the unit level, I'm not so sure if there really is a lack of small arms ammunition kicking around the system. The limiting factor seems to be the training budget. We can't pay soldiers to shoot our ammo allotment, so a large part of it goes unused as weird as it might sound.

I worked with some Artillery comrades this last summer. Their allotments for the coming training year are abysmal. Something like 150 rounds for the guns and nothing for the mortars, again at the unit level.

e: This is speaking from a militia perspective of course.

Nofeed fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 14, 2015

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
I had my "holy poo poo I should of joined the airforce" moment in the Trenton mess. They had to-go cups and lids for the coffee. Army messes can go gently caress themselves for being so stingy with taking coffee out of the mess.

Enjoy Wx DarkDobe!

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I understand the reasoning, it's just incredibly disappointing. I've got three kids and I'm in my 30's. I can't wait around for that long.

Five years. For passing a loving kidney stone. Jesus christ.

You're probably not going Infantry, but we've had an alarmingly large number of candidates go down with kidney failure in Gagetown this summer.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Heard the same re: ruck shortage. Stores wouldn’t take my 82 pat back when I was issued the CTS ruck. Finally I can get rid of the bloody thing!

In other news, I’ve learned that explosive demolitions is a very satisfying activity.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

my morning jackass posted:

I did this and the recruiter contacted me to say he contacted the fd amb ppl and if they didn’t contact me in a week I can contact him again and he will try again.

At least he responded :shobon:

The reserve recruiting system recently went through a bit of an overhaul, unfortunately health services is still in it's own little weird world on the recruiting side from what I understand. Hang in there! As much as we whine and moan about the military here it can be an excellent experience.

In other news, what's everyone buying with their sweet sweet BOOTFORGEN money? I'm thinking a second set of AKUs (Coming in at exactly 15cm measured from the footbed to tallest point of boot...)

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
You’ll need to get pre-approval from your BOR for the claim. Lots of troops running out and buying boots on 15 Aug without it.

BOOTFORGEN and the direction on the Defence Team webpage spell this requirement out pretty clearly though. 3 Div has since published their own direction too, BLUF: wait out.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

What. Where is this so I can never go there?

One thing I’ve had the great luck to have instilled into me early on was the principal of keeping one’s orderly room happy. Life is way better when one does!

Venting is good, and this is a good space for it - helps keep our sleepy little thread from dying too.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

"Reg Force will be switching immediately to Multicam, but only at NDHQ"

"Ranger's old Lee Enfields now being pushed to units to make up for the lack of C6s."

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Get your epic passes, y'all.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Anyone have any idea what the timeline is like for the reserves after completing your medical? I've been looking it up and it seems like a bit of a crapshoot, but I had my second medical on February 23rd and the guy there said it would be about 5 weeks before hearing anything and it's been radio silence since.

In theory it could take as little as two weeks to go from Civilian —> Soldier, but that will largely be extended by the following factors:

1. Onus of the Applicant: You’d be surprised how often delays in the recruiting process and due to the applicant not submitting paperwork in a timely manner, not filling out paperwork properly, or not showing up to appointments at the appointed time. Doesn’t sound like that’s the case with you, so let’s move on.

2. Reliability Screening: Have you lived out of country for a lengthy period of time, or travelled significantly? Both of these will add complexity to the security screening process, with the former being particularly egregious. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do but wait.

3. Recruiting Team: Because reserve units manage their own recruiting, if a CO doesn’t prioritize it with a good share of his or her Class A and B budgets, it will suffer from undermanning (Or, if instead of funds not being allocated, not having the necessary soldiers available) It sounds like this may be the cause for the lack of movement on your file.

Overall though, it doesn’t really matter if you don’t get in over the summer. Your first course, BMQ, will be offered during the fall. There exists no world where you would be able to take your trade course this summer, so no need to worry about your career being held back by the recruiting process at this point. As well, reserve units will “Stand down” for the summer in order to focus on higher level collective training as well as individual training, so you won’t have the advantage of attending parade nights anyways.

I’d be lying if I told you the military is all sunshine and roses (in fact it frequently is pretty terrible) If you take to it though, it’ll give you some of the best highs with the greatest people you’ll know.

So with that, good luck on your application, and good luck on course!

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

they're not letting us attend the ramp ceremony tomorrow. Which is disappointing but understandable.

Just arrived in Trenton last night, we're delayed leaving due to the ramp ceremony. Would certainly have liked to have been able to show support in some capacity, but alas. Understandable as you say.

Also, lol at not having accommodations booked for us in advance when we got here. Army of the West hoorah!

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Outdoor Research is pretty popular now what with their 50% pro deal. Their entry level Gore-Tex shell has replaced the venerable stealth suit as the affordable rain-gear of choice, even.

Army of West IFF Policy: Dear god, at least ONE piece of CADPAT somewhere on you, please I beg of you.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Lassitude posted:

gently caress, I'd have loved to have gone in for assault pioneer when I was in. If only for the beard, although I guess that's not so special these days.

We just grow ridiculously long beards now, instead :shrug:

There was that one time though, in Gagetown, where the school made us all comply with BEARDFORGEN. Some very sad pioneers showing up at J7 the next day.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
(Old) CDS was asked about this (CAF supplied accommodations) at what was probably one of his last-town-halls-as-CDS. Roughly paraphrased, his reply was "It's definitely a problem and something we're looking at right now, I support all members of the military being able to buy a house and enter the middle class!"

Meanwhile, the CAF continues to divest itself of affordable housing assets for soldiers/sailors/air... people? and families.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Working with some dudes from Pet right now, apparently retention is nearly zero at the JR level out there in the combat arms.

my reaction: "YOU'RE LEAVING A SURE THING GOVERNMENT JOB WITH A PENSION IN THIS ECONOMY AS A HIGH SCHOOL GRAD WITH NO WORK EXPERIENCE OUTSIDE THE ARMY ?!?!?!"

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
dear god my inbox is only 200 MBs big, it can't handle all these heartfelt Defence Team messages telling me that the military is Doing Its Best

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

quote:

The naval officer who authorized her suspension was the base commander at the time, Capt. (Navy) Bob Auchterlonie, now a commodore and soon to be a vice-admiral. He's set to take over as head of the military's joint operations command.

Is this going to be two CJOC Comds in a row now as well gracefully leaving the military?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Do you give a poo poo who Vance golfs with? Cause I sure don't

As a public service announcement for who to avoid in life, sure!

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
MND has the military give a sweet gig to a buddy from his old regiment/the VPD, said buddy being placed on leave from the VPD after a subordinate he was in a relationship with killed themselves. Bravo.

How do I fail upwards like this?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

If you write PERs, then you gotta learn about PaCE this year: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/maple-leaf/defence/2021/06/caf-rolls-out-modern-competency-evaluation-system.html

There's some mandatory DLN trg that our unit had to have completed, by end Sept? Guess it was funnier for me because we've been hearing about it every day.

Will this actually change anything? Looks like it's the same poo poo painted a different colour, and also on the cloud Monitor MASS.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
On the bright side, all the idiots refusing to get vaccinated are literally the worst soldiers, and nothing of value will be lost when they shoot themselves in the face by leaving. Good luck trying to survive in real life without the government looking after your every need, fuckers.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Heard from some buddies that soldiers are putting in for ED&T to dodge going down to the Armoury and making an attestation. I imagine a good percentage of the "missed deadline" numbers could potentially be from the reserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
They addressed that with the loaded March section of the COMBAT FORCE test: Set a finish-no-earlier-than timing, which results in a lot of milling about the finish line in your battle rattle before you can cross it at precisely the 50 minute mark.