Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Are future troops legit here? I'm joining up in September, maybe earlier. Anything I should expect aside from clusterfucks everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know just how long infantry recruitment is going to be open in April? Or just that it is?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Simkin posted:

Here's a silly/rhetorical question - how much less fun am I going to have on winter ex, now that I can see the grass poking up everywhere around gagetown? Dragging sleds is going to be awesome.

You fun level is going to be HUUUUUUURGHLAGHUGHAL/10(it's the sound you'll be making when you pull the sled over rocky patches)

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So recruitment is still looking to open up in April, right? At least that's what I gathered from earlier portions of this thread, and from what a few emails have told me. I'm intending on going into Infantry if I can: I've wanted to be a soldier my whole damned life, with all it's inglorious bullshit duties and all.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Samu posted:

Why the hell does everyone want to be infantry anyways?

For a lot of people it's the mentioned Hollywood, for me it's seeing the poo poo our forces have done in the past, notably various peacekeeping operations.

Edit: this basically means I'm a wierdo and want to join the forces because I'd like to do what our military has a nice international reputation for.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 11, 2010

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MA-Horus posted:

Don't be an artillery officer. Our arty is in a bit of a poo poo state unless you're lucky enough to get assigned to a battery of M777's. You really don't wanna work with mortars, C3s or LG1s.

Mortars are annoying and heavy.
C3s are old, useless pigiron
LG1s are old, finnicky pigiron.

Heard any word like that on Armoured Soldiers? It's the other 'In Demand" job, or so I've heard(and seen on the Forces site)

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
More wonderful fun on the journey to enlisting: I got told by a recruiter today that the only space left in any of the combat trades is in a French unit.

So, anyone know anything about Signals Operators? Is it just being a general radio tech like is sounds, or something else?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

My Spirit Otter posted:

There is no way artillery is full. We are hurting for numbers so badly. However this is a reason we are hurt for people. It sucks rear end

I'm just reporting what I was told. I'd much prefer a job in any combat trade rather than being a plumber or some such; if I was interested a civilian job, I'd go do that instead of joining the military.

MA-Horus might be right about the numbers though. Could be that there's some serious holes in the chain of information. Or just some rear end in a top hat recruiter lying his balls off to me, which is always possible.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

My Spirit Otter posted:

Which recruiting station are you going to? Also are you going NCM or officer? Beause I know for a fact that the ncm's are grossly undermanned. Tell your recruiter that you have heard that from people inside of an arillery regiment

That was just over the phone with the nearest base, in New Westminster. Can't remember the guy's name right now, got it written down somewhere though.

As for NCM or officer, definately going NCM.

Edit: I'm actually meeting with the guy tommorrow afternoon, since he's coming through town on the way to PG. Which, now that I think about it, reeks pretty badly of something. Why would you go to the biggest city(or second biggest) in Northern BC if so many trades are filled right up?

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 9, 2010

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lt. Jebus posted:

Signals. AKA Communications.

4/20 sigop every day.

Yep. Signals Operator was on the top of my list.

Wooo.

Edit; just to clear up, I'm not in yet. Recruitment papers are in, now it's time to harass the recuiter.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got any idea how damned long it takes the military to get back to people on average, or how long it takes before you go through your basic testing(to see if you're even worth hiring)?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Yet another thing that makes me glad I never joined. Seriously, that's a major league dickbag move.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Didn't everyone else realize that 'loving bulky' is not a good thing for a gun to be in like the 90's? Also why put the money into that when the odds of it getting issued are 'hahahahahafuckno', and the procurement process(should it overcome those odds) will take so long that everyone else will be using lasers and railguns?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Pretty sure any modern naval engagement would be decided by three things: Subs, carriers, planes. We don't have two of those, so we sould be throwing money at the third one so that's it's moderately effective.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LCdr. Jebus posted:

I like the cut of your jib sailor

This thread taught me why joining up would have been a horrendous idea, the least I can do is pay it back with occasional insights/comedy.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

compressioncut posted:

Would that be the Canadian Forces Chief Warrant officer, in an email in which he uses the word "pissed"?

If you have such an email, please post it.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

stevobob posted:

New CANFORGEN says TCAT/PCAT will no longer cause promotion ineligibility. This is good.

For a civilian who follows this thread, can I get a translation to English on this?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think he's doing a better job at keeping campaign promises than Harper.

That's a pretty loving low bar. Burrowing animals regularly go over that bar.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I found out this weekend that one of my buddies is enlisting. As infantry.

I laughed, called him an idiot, and then remembered how reading GiP horror stories stopped me from making the same mistake. Thanks army goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lassitude posted:

A lot of us who were infantry don't regret our decision. It was a formative experience, to be sure. Tons of lovely stuff, but the good parts (in most of our estimations) more than make up for it. Just probably don't make a career out of it, is all.

Totally. But for every good story, with a positive end, there's five 'oh gently caress me' stories.