Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Trying to get a hold of MSE Safety to get a copy of some paperwork so I can upgrade my civillian license and I've honestly rotated between like 6 different extensions of people and no one picks up the loving phone. The only people I can get a hold of is Base Transport and they can't do anything outside of tell me they can't do anything and to call MSE Safety.

Jesus loving Christ am I happy not to work for an organisation so full of lazy incompetent cunts anymore. Government bureaucrats suck but green ones are even worse.

Edit: Here's my story: Ontario recently implemented a program so that veterans and serving members can use their millitary qualifications to upgrade their civillians license. Sounds great right?

Too bad there's no information concerning what you need to bring into the ministry's office to take advantage if that. No worries! Call the ministry right? Oh wait they don't know anything and will transfer you to 3 different people before you get an answer. Then you'll know you need two items of paperwork that they can't tell you how to get a hold of.

So you call VA Canada. They should be able to help right? Well... Call a few times, leave a few messages and after a day or so you'll speak to a human who will tell you that you need to contact your old unit for those files. No worries you're on your way to getting through all the red tape! There's a light at the end of the tunnel! Right?

Now you call your old unit, they tell you you need to speak to base transport. You call base transport, they tell you you need to speak to MSE Safety. You call MSE Safety, MSE Safety tells you tells you they don't have your records and that you need to call "Ottawa".

Now at this point you have 3 options: you can call all 800,000 people in Ottawa, you can smash your head on the deck until you slip into the deep calm of unconciousness or you can dig deeper.

I decided to call the minister of transportation's office. I had two goals in mind, number one being to figure out what in the everliving gently caress I had to do and number two being to get them to post something on their website so that other people wouldn't have to jump through all of these hoops. Instead I wound up leaving a voicemail that has not as of now been returned.

So that was a dead end, I called the VA again and asked them how to get military records and was directed to call Archives Canada. Archives Canada told me that military records aren't sent to them until 5 years after retirement. From there I was directed to the "Access to information and Privacy Coordinator", where of course no one picked up the phone so I wound up leaving a message.

I also tried to get in touch with Helmets to Hardhats about this program as they seemed to have lobbied for it, but as is tradition, no one picked up the phone.

I'm honestly staggered by the laziness and incompetence of these government agencies I've had to deal with. This shouldn't be this hard. The support ex-soldiers get is loving atrocious.

Samu fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Frosted Flake posted:

The thing about being a surveyor/linesman/engineer in the military is that you have to deal with bullshit and conditions no one would be expected to put up with civie side.

Why someone who spent weeks in the bush in Shilo surveying for the guns/a road/a bridge can't get a leg up on the guys who complain about being out there for 5 days in a row for 4x the money, without being "tactical" and dealing with senior enlisted is a mystery to me.

The only difference I can see is that people would leave the Sigs to work for Bell instead of their brother's roofing company.

Tell me about it. Running heavy equipment there's so many guys who bitch about the dumbest poo poo, like having to work after dark or long shifts. Some guys refuse to even do basic maintenance like grease nipples and shovel track. Motherfucker you're getting time and a half for overtime and you're paid to do driver maintenance.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

This is going to cause soooo many drunken fights between 1st Battalion and the sappers next door.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

About that recruiting drive thing, I went down to the recruiting center because I'm joining the reserves so the Canadian taxpayer can subsidize my education and it seems like the army is just not hiring. There are only 7 or 8 open trades right now including doctor, dentist and nurse. The recruiter kept telling this girl about how strict the standards had become ect.

Really night and day compared to when I first went at the end of Afghanistan, where everything was red and CFAT scores didn't matter. These fuckers want me to do a CFAT and medical again even though all my stuff should still be current. I just want to be a reservist I don't want to be mildly inconvenienced.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I'm a Combat Engineer who released in March after 5 years and frankly the recruiter I spoke with didn't really know much about prior service re-entry or however you'd like to call it. Supposed to meet a rep from 33 CER tomorrow to get more details. I don't really care about the money, I actually miss being a soldier and as a student I'll have way more spare time than I'm used to. Being in the reg force during peacetime is just horrible but I think the reserves will be fine. Unless reservists are actually as bad as we make them out to be.

I imagine lots of trades are hiring, it's just that the trades actually advertised are low compared to when I first got in. Doesn't matter to me, I'm dealing with 33 CER I was just interested in the state of recruiting right now. Off the top of my head the red trades on their job board were cook, EGS, Doctor, Dentist, whatever the gently caress they renamed Sig OP, Pilot, Naval Engineer and ED tech. They didn't have any pamplets and poo poo for the other trades which suprised me. They did have a bunch of computers so maybe they just walk people through a program now or something.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah, in most trades the Reserves aren't bad but Arty is the exception.

As a student you should remuster into whatever trade you want. You have the rare opportunity to be able to take all the trade courses. If you wanted infantry or INT (lol) or whatever, you could do it. Might as well get that sweet cross training.

But if you're already combat Eng I'd join reserve Eng. I think it's pretty reasonable - still decent Ex's, trainingC etc.

I'm staying as a Sapper because I genuinely like the job and I'm good at it. I have no interest in doing another 3's course ours was a loving 5 month nightmare.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

DrakeriderCa posted:

Haha well yeah but the Eng 3's are insane compared to everyone else. If I remustered, Cbt Eng would be at the top of my list. I have a lot of respect for you guys after my tour and I think your job can be really cool.

The job is really cool, the downside is that you very rarely get to do it. Prepping charges and exploding poo poo is never not going to be fun.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Wait what? Can I get the government to give me more money?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

We did swim testing at 1 CER once before a unit sponsored canoe trip under the guise of adventure training. It would have been great but the canoe with all of our beer flipped and people kept trying to vulture my whiskey. I miss the army sometimes. I mostly miss being able to tell people who need to shut the gently caress up to shut the gently caress up and not have them get all sensitive about it. Sometimes you just need to shut the gently caress up it's no big deal I ain't mad.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Samu I hope the idiot that dumped that boat was found hanging from his nuts the next morning

Also you gotta spread that precious cargo between boats.

It was the loving troop commander and troop warrants canoe. Don't get me wrong everyone brought their own booze but the personal stuff lasted like 2 nights. They didn't want us to have the beer because they thought we'd just get blotto'd, which was true, but don't flip the canoe. The warrant kept joking about how all the beer was weighing down their canoe without realising the beer was weighing down their god drat canoe.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

quote:

All RCAF ranks should be birds. Chickadee, (Master) Sparrow, Nightingale, (Master/Chief) Vulture.

I guess officers can be condors, falcons, eagles, stuff like that.

This actually made me laugh out loud. Promote this man.

The sexist culture in the army is never going to change. Neither is being racist, or english and french people hating each other. If it does I'll pose naked on parliament hill with a sign saying I'm an Idiot and change is possible.

Samu fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 29, 2015

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I don't get the hate for Trenton my family has a cottage in Prince Edward County and it's beautiful there in the summers. Now the nice spots are are probably owned by rich people from Ottawa, Kingston and Toronto but it's still a really nice area. Cold Lake on the other hand is a boring, cold and desolate shithole with a soon to be unemployed population. Nearest major city is Edmonton, where I was posted, and again it's just ugly country.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Everybody hates places they've spent a lot of time. I haven't spent much time in Cold Lake or Edmonton and I enjoy going to each of those places. And I think Trenton is a lovely scuzzhole because I know it inside and out, probably the same reason you don't like Edmonton/Cold Lake. All bases are in shitholes, thats a fact.

I have a very special hate for Edmonton. My best friend is a cop there so I guess I just heard too many terrible stories about the city. I moved out of the city because homeless people used to steal my garbage and dump it on my lawn. I saw 2 shootings, 1 corpse wash up on the bank of the North Saskatchewan and a homeless man raping a homeless woman in some bushes. Bouncing downtown Edmonton is waaaay more intense than bouncing in Ottawa, which is where i live now. Haven't seen anyone get stabbed all summer, its been great.

CFB Edmonton is fine, St.Albert and Fort Saskatchewan are great places to live gently caress Edmonton in its holes forever.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Tim Hortons didn't give me a free coffee today.

Cunts.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Best part of the BHP is running the qualification range, and after the 80 or so officers and SNCOs go through it's up to the Cpls and Mcpls to burn through (or I guess technically give back) the rest of the ammo. We were doing range rundowns from 50m with a pistol in each hand and 1 in the holster, desperado style. Our range finished at 1300 and we played with guns until 1700. Must have burned through 3000 rounds between 6 of us. Trying to hit a target with a gun in each hand is impossible though.

gently caress junior Lieutenants are easy to manipulate.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Send in the PAT platoons armed with fire blankets.

This is the best idea.

Has anyone actually tried to smother a fire with a fire blanket? I feel like with the decades of dried up semen residue they'd go up like tissue paper soaked in gasoline.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Remember that dude who went to take a piss at the fires last year and got lost in the woods? Send that guy.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

In the last 3 years I was at 1 CER, we had 1 ex with enemy force, and that was like 4 guys on Skidoos. Brigade level exes have enemy force, but all we do is lane clearing for the tanks on those so who gives a gently caress anyways.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Real talk, our Navy has like what, 15 ships?

Asking for a friend.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Man, when I got promoted to Cpl it took almost 6 months to get my pay raise, but when I did I got 6 months of back pay which was around 6 grand. 22 year old me then spent it all on booze, strippers and a downpayment on a truck I couldn't afford.

I think this is like dumbass young NCM 101, so I don't feel bad about it. I got out the army without getting some chick from Geary, NB pregnant so I think I came out on top.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Getting the Sapper bomb on your right hand is a pretty common tradition, at least at 1 CER. I would have gotten a bomb but not on my hand, and I actually think it's a pretty badass tradition. Basically you can only get one if a SNCO takes you to get one, normally with your section. Some guys break that tradition and just go to a tattoo parlour but those guys are loving idiots.

Reference:

Samu fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 31, 2016

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Perfect.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

A CANFORGEN was just issued saying members convicted of sexual misconduct (any; not just assaults) as of a year ago shall be recommended for release.

Good riddance.

Hypothetically, if one were to be jerking off in the driver's seat of a LAV in the middle of the night and, hypothetically, accidentally queue the IC and broadcast ones passionate grunts and moans to the entire vehicle, would that be enough to be charged with sexual misconduct and given the boot?

Asking for a friend. Thanks in advance.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

To what extent is aiming/positioning guns computerized? I always assumed that the guns were aimed and adjusted manually, but to be honest I've never been on ex with the artillery.

What is an arty ex anyways? You just go to a range, set up a camp, run pretend fire missions then pack up and go home?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I think the worst I ever did personally was firing the bushmaster on the LAV. I squeezed the trigger just as we crested a log or something and fired a burst of 20mm into the night sky in Wainwright. I'm sure everything was fine.

Honestly for us engineers the worst screw ups we would have involved dropping bridges into the gap. We dropped a 22 bay 2 story bridge into the North Saskatchewan doing demonstration in St. Albert for civilians.

Explosive demolitions is actually pretty foolproof, and the landmines we lose are almost always training mines. I did find a very old, rusted out mine in Chilcotin once that had probably been there for 20 years. It was rusted to the point of being unidentifiable as training or live, so we just blew it up for safety.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I legit don't remember what we did with rifles for PT during BMQ. Put them in a rack?

All I know is some idiot lost his scope within days of getting a rifle.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

gently caress Wainwright.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I had my holy poo poo I should have joined the Navy when I stayed at the shacks in Halifax. Single rooms, my own fridge and cable TV 5 minutes from downtown.

But then I'd have to go on boats and gently caress boats.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I loved the army but it grinds you down after a while, especially when there's no mission. If you're young and want to do a contract go for it. I now get paid a pretty decent amount of money to run equipment I trained on when I was in. All in all I'd give it an 8/10, and I'm way less of a dope smoking piece of poo poo than when I was 18.

Samu fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 22, 2017

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

How do I get a job with the Federal Government? I'm working as an excavator operator for a construction company and to say I hate it would be putting it lightly.

I just want a cushy government job. What do I do?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Canada Company is also good for getting a professional type job after time-in. Helmets to Hardhats is good too.

Soldier-On is hiring and so are the fitness people, it's fairly easy to get in there if you have a passion for sports.

Helmets to Hardhats was completely useless for me. I wanted to get an Electrical Apprenticeship, or get on with the Operators Union and they pretty much just told me there's no work and no one is hiring apprentices. They were completely unhelpful when I was trying to figure out how to transfer over my driver quals as a civilian. I really don't want to badmouth them, but all that happened is they host links to a job board with only a handful of jobs.

Maybe it's changed in the last two years, but that was my experience with them.

Samu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 27, 2017

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Yea, if you ever see a lot of military vehicles moving one direction, 99.9% chance it's a brigade level exercise.

The fun part is driving down the highway 2 hours after a Maple Resolve moveout and counting all the lovely broken green trucks that didn't make it.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I have never wanted to kill everyone in sight more than the time I drove an LSVW from shilo to Edmonton to shilo to wainwright to shilo.

I don't know what was worse, driving that LSVW or having to go back to shilo.

I'm so sorry.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The fleece is the greatest piece of kit for the following reasons:

1. Comfy pajama pants that lock your greasy taint stench in.
2. Comfy as gently caress sweater for those dry, cold November days in Wainwright.
3. Great under your Goretex Jacket. Long underwear + fleece + jacket is good to minus 40.
4. Not minus 40? Repeat above with Rain Jacket.
5. You can wear it as top layer in camp and no one yells at you.
6. You can use it as a comfy pillow.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The actual no-poo poo best piece of kit are the arctic mittens. The only mitten I've ever had that kept my hands WARM in -40. The mukluks aren't bad either as long as they stay dry.

Actually I think all of our arctic gear is pretty good.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

No one ever wore the scarf but the scarf was awesome.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Hazing? What's hazing? In the Army?

Never heard of it.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

You know what? The federal government can go gently caress itself.

They chose 6 years because the longest initial contract a person can sign is 5 years. By going to 6 years they drastically reduce the amount of money they have to give out to existing veterans who left the army after their VIE contract. It's such an obvious cost saving measure so that they can stand on this platform of caring about veterans while paying out the least amount possible.

My service of 5 years and 235 days is worthless apparently, so I'll just shoulder my 20k in OSAP debt I've incurred since releasing because apparently "knows how to camp and use C4" only qualified me to work with lowlifes doing roofing or landscaping, and going to school is really expenive.

This is loving horseshit. I was proud to serve my country, and us not having a GI bill never bothered me, but having this new benefit be so obviously aimed at dodging the majority of veterans is such a loving insult.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Freeze posted:

Maybe join the reserves and top yourself up to 6 years because you're so close? Probably worth the 130 days of service to get 40k worth of education.

On a side note: I think the longest VIE is 9 years. Mine was 6 years (only 3 months to go...so close). You're right though that the majority of VIEs aren't more than 5 years.

Yeah I guess as a disclaimer I can only really speak for my trade. The longest contract I could sign initially was 5 years, and I assumed it was the same across the CF.

I had also had a few and then read that so my argument was probably a bit nonsensical and uninformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Yeah well, I was being a bitch what do you want from me?

Go gently caress yourself.