Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Most everything in the news has been inaccurate - the report from the Greeks has kind of made it unclear. Yes, Freddy was first on scene. Smoke markers were going off at the point of impact.

RCAF has shared pics from the flight deck ceremony today. The story wasn't passed on though - they piped flying stations, and tried to establish comms with the aircraft. When there was no answer, they secured flying stations and went below for drinks. They're coming alongside ASAP to meet DFS and all the support, and the det is coming home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

MA-Horus posted:

I'm not quite parsing this. This was done during the ceremony?

If so...gently caress. That's awful.

Yes.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Guest2553 posted:

The best way to milk those plans is by already being in IMO. Knew some people halfway through their contract that got accepted. 4 to 7 yeas of getting a salary instead of going into debt for school, and the next 5 years will take you to immediate $100,000/yr pension at which point you start up a private practice. Two of them were ROTP as well so by the time it's done, half their career will have be free school and training courses.

When I was civvy U UTP, we went to quarterly update gatherings with all the regional people in subsidized education including doctor trainees. One year they lost three right at the end of their residencies because some hospital snatched them up and paid off their obligations. And if there is one thing I have learned in 18 years in this organization, everyone has far better lawyers than we do, so it was pretty seamless for the docs.

The system may be even more ripe for taking advantage of than most know. There's probably some sort of restricted release scheme a la pilots now, but see my point about lawyers above.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Yes that's correct. The implication there was that they were first to take action because they were closest.

Still a lot of assuming in these reports, and the commentary by "experts" at various news sources has been useless to bizarre.

We'll all know at least something shortly with the data at NRC.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I haven't noticed anything malicious, just clueless. It keeps the story in the news and there has been little info from the CAF.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
This article is pretty good https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...3-cdc0adff5c3b/

At least as far as information that is available.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

MA-Horus posted:

drat. Compressor stall maybe? You see both the seats come out but that's a bad angle

Wonder if this will be it for snowbirds flying the Tutor.

I think that's a straight up engine failure, judging by the pilot's immediate response and the fact the exhaust smoke just quits. No way those seats can safely handle a rate of descent like that, that close to the ground. If one of them lived it's as close to a miracle as you can expect to see.

I have a very similar thought with regard to them flying the Tutor, and frankly, flying at all. Remember, they had another crash 8 months ago (about which there has been zero information released as to cause). Jets are near 60 years old, and there just aren't many left to name one problem.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frosted Flake posted:

What a loving shame. Hopefully PWGSC can rush procure some Hawks for the Snowbirds.

I have a poster my old man gave me when I was a little kid of Hawks in Snowbirds livery after the Red Arrows flew in Canada and the contractors came out to schmooze the military VIPs. The idea must have been kicking around for a while.

Or gently caress it, have the display team fly the same fighters as everyone else like the Americans do.

So the problem with this is most of the team are not fighter pilots, and Hawks are fighters for all intents and purposes. Harvards replaced the Tutors, which is an easy to fly, docile airplane. The Hawk is not, in comparison. It's even more of a stretch to get real fighters. They can't man the jets they have at gun squadrons, let alone a 4-9 jet dog and/or pony show. I look at the team and I know a lot of them - pipe instructor, pipe instructor, pipe instructor, Hercs, Sea Kings, etc. I think there are two Hornet guys?

As well, there's no budget to operate a state of the art display team. The Snowbirds cost a piddly $4.3m a year I read? The airplanes were paid off 50+ years ago. Blue Angels are like a quarter of that per show. Apparently there are very very few Tutors left, too.

This article is sort of alarming if you read between the lines:

https://www.skiesmag.com/news/snowbirds-grapple-with-training-delays-pilot-replacements/

The two mentioned in the article who quit the team early were DG (who had the crash last year) and his wife. I think you can understand why.

In my considered opinion, that's it for the team. Maybe a farewell tour next year.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
CBC has a video out where the Tutor pretty clearly takes a bird (or, unfounded internet speculation, a drone - that will be easy to prove or disprove when they look at the engine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGS3dmuPlPo

That's just lovely luck. The turnback is going to need explaining, though I hesitate to get in his cockpit.

The seats are pretty terrible by modern standards but they are 0/60 and they were each very close to making it out successfully - the rate of descent is what ended their chances. Every seat has a rate of descent it won't overcome, and this was for sure way beyond. Having to pop the canopy first is also lovely, lots of modern systems shatter the canopy with det cord simultaneous with the seat firing (including Harvard and Hawk).

And the more I watch the video it seems she went out first (left seat) but it's very hard to tell for sure.

Preliminary report for the Cyclone is due 29 May.

(edited to make the seat spec make sense)

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 22, 2020

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
FTI for the Snowbird crash is out

Still radio silence on 822, which is a bit odd. It was a 9 week "pause" after the flight control computer triple reset, I wouldn't be surprised if this goes at least as long.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/drone-retrieves-human-remains-pieces-of-navy-helicopter-that-crashed-off-greece-1.4967524

The state of that debris is hosed (pic at the bottom of the story). It's like they hit at 350kt.

I don't recognize which boxes are in the photo, but I'm just a pilot so hardly look at them regularly. In fact I don't recognize anything.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Anyway: https://www.canada.ca/en/department...e-accident.html

We were personally briefed by DFS as this was released. It will be a motherfucker of an investigation.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

MA-Horus posted:

"did not respond as expected" what the gently caress does that mean? Is there a weird handling fluke with the design?

Yes and no. I am not saying more right now. It was a classic safety case of a lot of different factors lining up.

Like I said, I don't envy DFS one bit.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well, we have a new CDS and I actually know the guy. He was my first XO and that ship was a loving blast. Very steeply downhill from there - false advertising considering the 15 or so intervening years. I talked to him last year at an event and he genuinely remembers me? I recall a good heart to heart with him in a packed bar in Prince Rupert, and I remember him pushing the CO in a shopping cart down the Canada Place jetty shortly before leave expiry in Vancouver. Probably as good as we're going to get.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
AF ranks were originally derived from navy ones, so what is Aviator now was Leading Aircraftman, arguably much worse.

Flight Lieutenant, Wing Commander, Group Captain, Air Commodore, etc. The AF has no balls so will never return to a full suite of unique rank names, nor properly update the 1987-cut uniforms.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Well by that logic, a Leading Aircraftsman is today's Corporal, not Aviator.

On that note, did the RCN actually change the Seaman ranks? I remember getting some newsletters that they were looking at it but never an announcement that they did, yet I noticed my naval doppelganger has an unfamiliar rank on Outlook. Are they just Sailors finally? What happened there?

Pre-unification navy ranks were messed up and something I don't entirely get. LAC is equivalent to Avr in commonwealth air forces, propeller badge and all. Corporal is corporal - well, more like MCpl if I remember correctly.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

They took away our seamen, and I said nothing.
Then they took away our rears, and I said nothing.
Then they took away our mates, sextons, coxswains, cuntlines, limber holes, cockbills, tail shafts, midshipman's nuts, cockpits, rib ticklers, bumboats, rams, breastropes, seacocks, tramp trades, and then I realized the Navy has a lot of weird terminology.

Yes. The cafeteria hand on a ship (something most ops trades killick and below have to supply for one month rotations) was called the "Molly" forever. This is why: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_house The term was outlawed on the east coast long long before it was on the west coast. If they had told me about that part of the job at the recruiting center I probably wouldn't have joined - it loving sucked, though not for homosexual prostitution reasons.

That said I have moved up in the world. Does anyone have any specific info on the pilot (and SAR tech) pay restructure outside of the cryptic letter from Meinzinger? There was also a spreadsheet floating around months ago that had the alleged numbers in it, but it didn't look all that official.

late edit - finally got an email to all pilots from our CO and of course, the announcement has been made ahead of any actual details. Typical. Interestingly, one detail is that aircrew allowance will be rolled into base pay so as to be pensionable. That will also mean you don't have to occupy a line position to collect. Good for OJTs etc.

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 27, 2021

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

stevobob posted:

"Veteran's Education Benefit" and is a genuinely good benefit from what I can tell, everyone is entitled to it after six years ($40k, $5k/semester), and entitled to twice the amount after 12 years ($80k max, $10k/semester).

A lot more than that now, its $92,392.30 for 12 years and half that for six.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/education-and-jobs/back-to-school/education-training-benefit

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Sort of legalese but "The Education and Training Benefit (“the Benefit”) provides up to $80,000 [currently 92k+] (taxable) to cover mandatory education costs and some incidental and living expenses"

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/legislation-policies/policies/document/2685#anchor99751

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Guest2553 posted:

The rumint I've seen says PLD is being replaced with a housing benefit that works out to an additional 10-18% of base pay, depending on salary band, with lower bands receiving more %. If average cost of a suitable apartment size is over 30% of salary there's supposed to be an additional top-off.

Rumint ends.

Yes this means a gigantic raise for people in Dundurn and Shilo and to be fair, Ottawa, whereas those in high COL PLD areas will get barely anything once PLD is removed, and some could get a cut. Super curious as to what the actual "suitable apartment size" is supposed to be as I, as a single income single parent, require a 3 bedroom anything at a minimum and a new rental in that range hits 30% of my (quite substantial) salary easily, excluding rent controlled and legacy rates.

Suffice to say that looking at the horribly botched pilot pay restructure (and SAR Tech), they guaranteed will gently caress this up badly. It's kind of fun doing resume building and seeing all the pretty cool jobs out there, especially because I'm pensionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Guess im moving out of the q's. Rent goes up when you get a payraise, but does the quality ever go up?

Where does Q rent go up if you get a raise? There are typically small annual increases, and you aren't allowed to rent if it's more than 25% of your household income, but it's not on a sliding scale.

Anyway, I finally did the actual calc of losing PLD vs. the salary adjustment, and I'm getting a $30/mo pay cut until next April. That's a small practical inconvenience but a giant emotional bummer. If I am losing (pretty high on the pilot scale so 8% salary bump is a fair amount), basically everyone on this coast who was in receipt of PLD and is a skilled worker to middle-management type is losing a lot more. Unreal.

I guess it's pensionable now and I'm pretty certain I'll exercise that option next year.