Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
heard about that fatcamp and all I hear a good things. i dunno the CF in general is obsessed with labelling out of shape dudes as shitpumps. in my mind, the one thing that everyone can change is to get in shape, i.e. its the easiest thing to change. If someones a genuine retard then theres usually no changing that, but if someones switched on but just fat or something big deal, a few months of PT and diet will make that dude.

mo-litia infantry represent. I want some CADPAT loving raingear, sick of this rubber poo poo and stealth suits arent good enough. you can keep the new rucksacks tho, and ill keep my '64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Generation Internet posted:

Small world, I'm not in the military but I've lived in Kingston all my (very short) life.

I'm just a high-school kid, but I've been planning on joining the forces for a while now, hopefully as a pilot. Starting on getting a private license now, and maybe joining the reserves next year. I've also been thinking about RMC, assuming I could get my rear end into gear by application time.

good luck with pilot, my buddies down in CFRC tell me that pilot is retardedly hard to get but i dont know everything seems to be upside down now with recruiting (infantry trade is closed? jesus...)

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Vadoc posted:

I never did understand why the hell they made a vehicle that squeals when you touch the brakes, so much for being tactical at night when you're driving without lights. Nothing screams "Canadian Forces over here!" like an LSVW.

the best is when OPFOR use em on ex so you can get everyone to stand-to on a defensive like 5min before they attack

as for the squeeling, its because the brake pads are steel or some dumb poo poo like that because it was cheaper, atleast thats what i heard on my LS course. i loving love the LS's horn, so goddamn cheesy and awesome.

btw all of you talking about issued boots are completely crazy. non-issued boots is where its at. My magnum's are freaking combat runners, though I want to get some SWATs

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Arty goon checking in

Just to rub it in, the cad pat rain gear breathes and is awesome in the summer. Also the new rucksacks are way better than the '64 patterns. You proably just sucked at bending the back supports

nah its not about the comfort (they are more comfy), its about the useability. Try strapping a water jerry or SF tripod to the back of the new rucksack. '64 will always reign supreme for the infantry just cause of the ability to carry awkward poo poo.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Lemons posted:

Hey guys. I've been thinking about joining the reserves. I've always wanted to do some sort of military service, but right out of school I got a pretty high paying cushy government job and some other reasons to not disrupt my life too much. For some reason, I never really thought about the reserves until recently. I'm 25 now and about to get married, so I think I'd like to do this now for a few years before I have kids and have no free time. I think not doing any kind of service might be something I regret later in my life.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) Training: I've found conflicting information on the Internet. Is training a few weeks somewhere, or is it every other weekend? Are both options available? What is the "best" way to go? I work for the RCMP and can get special leave without pay to take part in CF training (I think like 2 weeks per year, not sure).

2) Deployment: I know that overseas deployment for reservists is voluntary, but is there anything else that I could be compelled to do? Are reservists that don't ever volunteer for deployment looked down on? I don't really want to disrupt my life too much. If I could do one evening a week, one weekend a month, and maybe help out with forest fires and that kind of thing when needed, that would be ideal for me. I know that the government can call the reserves to active duty in the event of some crisis, but hasn't done so since World War 2. If something on the scale of WW2 happened, gently caress it, I'd be joining up anyways.

3) What kind of stuff would I do on the weeknights and weekends? I'm considering NCM in infantry or engineers. Do armouries ever let anyone observe to see if they'd like to join? I'll probably call up some local armouries tomorrow and ask.

Any answers or advice appreciated.

1.) The best way is whatever works with your time schedule. yada yada yada people will poo poo on you for having done a weekend basic training but who cares its only one part (and one if the least important imo) of your training, the rest will be done over the summer. If youre RCMP youll be able to get time off to do training Im sure, I know many reservists who are Mounties.

2.) Nope, theres plenty of people who dont deploy, in fact its competitive sometimes to get a deployment as a reservist. No ones going to care, and if they do, so what? Its your life, dont get too caught up in how other reservists see your career choices.

3.) Most armoures if you call them up will let you sit in and observe, mine does at least.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

lol gently caress issued boots. Been wearing Magnums now for about a year, and lovin it. Gonna pick up some SWATs for my next boots.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Anyone here a Comms Rsch or know anyone who is? From what I understand it's in reality SIGINT, but under the comms branch. Anyways, whats the trade like, the life, etc., Im curious and possibly interested in trying someone like it out after i finish my degree (or maybe regforce Int)

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

aarp posted:

PM me your email and I'll answer what I can.

poo poo, dont have pm. Could you throw me an email at my throwaway email?, apparatchik at hotmail, and Ill reply to you at my real one.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

mo infantry for life. Weekend ex looks like its gonna be poo poo? gently caress it, im not showing up.

Ill say this from my limited perspective, and others in both regforce and reserve have agreed with me. Across the board, there are more or less an equal number of shitpumps. Ive been on course and worked with regforce members who were complete crap, and who were awesome, and same with the reserves.

A lot of reservists too are cool guys because they have life experience and have a life outside the army, and arent just right out of high school infantrymen (nothing wrong with that tho) so you can meet some cool dudes.

Yeah our skills and drills are obviously not going to be up to par with regforce (thats why inf have to redo BIQ if they CT unless they have a tour) but that just has to do with time spent training. Comparing that we do only weekends and parade nights, bias not withstanding some inf units do pretty drat well in terms of our skillset, and a lot of these dudes are commited people with full time jobs and families who take a lot of poo poo to come in and work.

Only idiots bias against reserve or regforce imo, who cares, judge individuals not groups

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Fire Above posted:

It still boggles my mind that infantry is so swamped. A couple of years ago we were starving for guys, companies were half empty and people were putting in for release like crazy after coming home from tour. Now it's a fight to even get in. They should just open up more batallions, I mean, Jesus.

Its because the actual regiments have nothing to do with it really, its the infantry schools being filled up for the year so they couldnt take on anymore applicants.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Brace posted:

Thinking of joining the Canadian Armed Forces if nothing goes my way later in my life. Y/N? I support the cause (sometimes) but at other times some of the poo poo that North American armies do is just stupid as hell and completely dim-witted.

Do this, but do it with a trade. Like the other poster, get a trade and come out of your service with something useful. Only go infantry if you're really gung-ho/deadset on being a soldier

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Fraser CDN posted:

I had friends on it. Supposedly they just sat out in the woods and protected bridges and poo poo.

Was it a full on domestic op ala Op PODIUM for the olympics with workup training and poo poo or pretty much just a week or whatever of deployment?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

apparently the van doos are banned from the JRs in wainwright for ripping a urinal off the wall and some other dumb poo poo

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

so anyone here have inside info on when CTs from reserve to regforce are gonna be open again? Ive been told my chosen trade is closed until the 31st of March. What exactly is going on with these CTs and why is the CF all hosed up? I mean, someones gotta start filling positions no?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Hizawk posted:

My three years is over in a little over a month, and then my next three year contract begins! I was sorely tempted to change my new three year contract to a 25 year because honestly I like my infanteer job a lot.

hahaha i really want to somehow quote this, print it off, then find you when you hate your life and show you this

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

---

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 1, 2013

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

---

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 1, 2013

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

---

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 1, 2013

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

So, I've been scratching my head apart trying to find maps online with a basic UTM/MGRS grid overlay. I can find topo maps fine enough using canada's toporama and geogratis, but the best map I found doesn't have the gridlines on it. Yeah I could grab some maps from my unit but my CQ seems pretty adamant that "You can just get the maps online!" which I so far haven't been able to my liking

I'm going camping and such and I figure I might as well fool around with a compass while I'm out there. Anyone got any ideas? I got a bigass topo map of the area I want, unfortunately it doesn't have the standard 100m gridlines and UTM numbers that I am so used to. Sorry if I seem to be giving too much of a gently caress, but I dont know, I havent touched a map and compass in awhile so why not with my summer off right now and now that Im going Officer last thing I want is to get ridiculed because Im a former infantry corporal who can't nav worth poo poo.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

acumen posted:

Also how am I going to not do up my bottom button :confused:

Hell to pay if they don't put in a second zipper on the bottom to allow this. Anyways its about time, I've always been jealous of the ACU and their mandarin collars so you can pop them up under the frag vest.

Man, brown boots, useable uniforms, useable raingear... I've only been in (and the reserves to boot) for 5 years and I still remember my old Mk3s, and non-CADPAT winter jacket, rubber rainjacket and lovely rucksack. Am I gonna be one of those fucks who bitches to new troops about how good they have it? Im only an infantry corporal with no tour for godsakes.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

acumen posted:

That "Mandarin collar" or whatever actually looks sorta cool.

There's way too much velcro on those combats though. I really hope they aren't trying to model them after the American uniforms; if I have to wear various unit patches and poo poo I'm going to be pissed.

More room for morale patches, sounds good to me! Anyways, Im actually surprised that this thing is in the works. Colour me impressed. About time we got rid of the old FN mag pouches that looked like poo poo and were annoyingly useless in the field. Can anyone explain to me what's going on with the rolled up sleeve thing though?

Anyways, great, we're getting rid of "gentleman" based uniforms, so when are we getting rid of the beret? :)

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 28, 2011

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

--

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 12, 2014

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Flanker posted:

I start my PLQ residency tonight. I did the online horeshit over a year ago, so I am right the gently caress out of her. Should be interesting.

I did the online portion last spring but ended up not able to go on the residency. I thought you had to do the residency within 6 months of the online otherwise you have to redo it? (which means in my case I have to do it all over again...). Pretty annoying considering I've already done Mods 2-5 back when they were classroom sessions.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

If I was to put in my CT right now into the regforce, in order to have it done well ahead of time (Im looking to CT within a year to a year and a half once Im done my degree), and they do offer me a position and I turn it down, will this reflect poorly on the next time the positions open up? Whats the time frame I should look at then when to put in a CT?

Also, I am currently rehabbing from an injury, doing physio etc. Right now Im not allowed to do anything in the field, PT etc. As per my surgeon I'll be fully cleared in June. Should I wait to officially put in my CT for once Im fully cleared (to avoid any hassles with my injury being a factor) or does it not hurt to just start it right now since Ill be cleared in June anyways? Im talking to my Chief Clerk about all this of course but Im curious if anyone here has any insight, Im an infantry NCM reservist looking to CT into Comms Rsch or Int Op.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

------

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 1, 2013

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Tom Swift posted:

@swagger like us I have a goal of CSIS as well or US State Department type contracting in the intel field. I tried ROTP for IntelO but didn't make it they have like 1 spot a year in that program maybe, working on a Poli Sci degree right now at one of the bigger Universities so that should help in the future.

I know a lot of Reservist infantry guys end up getting into Intel especially on tours, and can get posted to CANSOFCOM.

Well maybe thats why, I also tried for ROTP for IntO and they told me there's only a few slots a year. I imagine with DEO there would be more available?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

tuyop posted:

I feel like a loving moron, they offered me Int O after my first year of ROTP, when everyone is land ops. I told them that my three choices were infantry, infantry, or release. :suicide:

Well gently caress. I don't know what to say.

Well, I'm going to get more advice from my BOR staff on putting in CTs. Can my top 3 choices be changed throughout my CT? Also, as I'm not finished my degree yet, can I put in for a CT via DEO before I've officially finished my degree?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

That's what I wish the militia was sort of like. I wish we instituted a militia that's primary goal would be to wage guerilla warfare in the event of an invasion, like the Venezuelan or Swiss military's reserves. That'd be more fun to train in than the 50 billionth time i've assaulted a trench.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Barrakketh posted:

That is a terrible idea.

Maybe its just cause I like doing OPFOR so much I'd just rather train as OPFOR and do ambushes, and do section attacks in civvie clothes. Plus lets be real here, if we got invaded, what the hell is the Reserves gonna do? 39 Brigade is gonna amalgamate into what, a Rifle company with some armoured recce atts? Get real, we'd be steamrolled.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Hizawk posted:

I can not even wrap my head around this.

Your argument is 'More fun for training'? Seriously?

I'm not making a serious argument, relax, I'm just making a joke about how silly and fun playing OPFOR usually is. If you haven't got a chance to wear whatever you want and plant fake IEDs and do ambushes then well I'm sorry, its a lot of fun.

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 31, 2012

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Wasn't there also a meth lab found in a wainwright PAT platoon shacks too?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

As a dumb reservist who has worn only either DEUs, CADPAT or PT strip, can anyone explain to me the different name/numberings for dress uniforms? What's 1A? DEUs?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Hizawk posted:

So theres a video circulating on Facebook called, "I'm on a LAV". Being shared like crazy. Incredibly cheese and low budget, but still a lot of laughs.

Could you post a link perhaps?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Its worse in non-Army towns, because reservists really get a kick out of being stupid dbags in uniform since they get even more attention from civvies who arent used to it (I.E. every single town in BC). Note, Im a reservist so, this isnt bashing the reserves.

In fairness, I really hate wearing the uniform in public. Had to fly the other week in uniform (had a same day appointment), and I just felt like a toolbag. One thing is getting food or groceries or whatever on the way home, but I saw someone in uniform once at an H&M in Pacific Centre mall in Vancouver. Really?

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 29, 2012

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

---

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 1, 2013

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

----

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 1, 2013

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Ruse posted:

SAR Tech buddy of mine sent me this video of his friends post-prelim training (SAR Tech 3's?). Anyway, this is a pretty good glimpse of some of the training the SAR Techs go through.

Mind the music, it's not bad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zInSQBV6QY

This is surprisingly well made for a "course video". Most are lovely edited together photos with "let the bodies hit the floor" playing. This one has cool editing and decent music.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Question for any regforce Int Ops here. Can anyone explain to me how the purple trade works in terms of postings? I understand as an Int Op you could be Air, Navy or Land, but at what point in your trades courses is this determined? Is the Int Op course the same for all trades or is there specific Int Op courses for Army, Navy and Air etc.?

Obviously postings is wherever the CF wants you posted. However, do you have any say in which element you get posted to? Can I select Army as my preferred element? (especially since Im attempting to CT from Infantry reserves)

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

M. Propagandalf posted:

Would there happen to be a pdf link for the LSVW manual online? I'm on the driver wheel course, and I'd like to have the chance to read it in between weekend trainings.

You'll be fine, believe me, driver wheeled isn't very heavy on theory. Just focus on paying attention and getting your hours in. Oh and don't fall asleep at the wheel.

Found out today my CT won't have a chance until next April. Ah, oh well, I guess I'll just wait it out some more and finish another semester of school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Does anyone else have problems with 17 year olds getting blackout in the mess?
It's becoming a real problem for my section, and making us all look bad but I don't know who I'm supposed to take this to.

Well, I like to take a "harm reduction" take on this. 17 year olds, especially in the military, are going to get blackout drunk no matter what. If you hammer down on it with stupid rules or regs within the mess, they'll just go elsewhere. But, its better they get blackout drunk around people that'll take care of them in a mess rather then in a downtown bar or pub where they'll get in fight with bouncers and civvies.