Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

OctoberBlues posted:

I just did a BBM 1901-2009 simulation with randomization on and went to check the records. All time home runs - Barry Bonds, 729. All time hits - Ty Cobb, 4407. Well son of a bitch, this isn't any fun. Let's check the season leaders for home runs. Ah, here we go. Chad Tracy, 68. Well goddamn...

I just ran one too, here are some of the more interesting results that I got.

Career home runs - Lou Gehrig - 861 (!)
Career hits leader - Wade Boggs - 4259 (Pete Rose was a career bench player)
WINS - Christy Mathewson - 442 (Bob Gibson had 440)
Strikeouts - Bob Gibson - 7027 (Jesus christ)
Single season home runs - Pat the Bat - 72

Other interesting things:
The Yankees won 7 world championships, the same number as the Montreal Expos, who won five straight titles from 1987-91.
The Red Sox have not won a world championship since, oddly enough, 1918. The Cubs, in contrast, won 9 titles, the most recent in 1999.
The Mets and the Mariners each won 4 titles since 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

gyroball posted:

Sometimes I don't even know:

I know exactly what you mean

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Allyn posted:

The first details of the new OOTP XI features have been outlines, and looks awesome :3: gonna be picking this year's up (I buy every other year's version, so didn't play last year's).

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-10-general-discussions/192604-little-out-park-baseball-11-update.html

Nice to see some more stats that've been much needed, though I woulda liked to see tRA too. And of course those defensive metrics are kinda lovely but considering the state of defensive metrics I'm sure it'll do. Even so, the big draft upgrades are awesome: sounds like it's coming very close to actually mirroring MLB in most of this front office stuff, which is nice.

That actually looks pretty drat awesome. I might be buying that.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

I started a game as the Mets and in two weeks I've already lost 6 players to season-ending injuries.

So, y'know, realism.

All in all it is pretty nice, though.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Moe_Rahn posted:

99%, what loving virtual rear end in a top hat didn't vote for randy "jesus christ" johnson

I think that BBM does a very realistic job modeling the "WE CAN'T UNANIMOUSLY VOTE FOR SOMEONE BECAUSE EVEN THE GREAT BABE RUTH DIDN'T GET 100%" subset of sportswriters. You know, the assholes.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Here's #1: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2679506&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Some of the image hosts are failing, and I think there was a pdf version made a year or so ago that has everything...not sure.

Here are the PDF links
Part 1
Part 2

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Quasimango posted:

David Eckstein's wife just died in my OOTP game. :psyduck:

Wait what?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The game has occasional 'family member died' events that have the player miss a few games. With my team it's always been a player's son though, which is certainly awfully grim for a sports sim

Man, I have never seen that. That's kind of brutal, really.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

I feel like OOTP is a "better" game, but BBM's a lot more fun.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

I ran a sim overnight, and meet your new home run champion:

Sir Barrold is #2 with 683 career dingers. Babe Ruth hit only 279 and retired in '31.

BBM rules.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

I've had OOTP 14 for a while now and I could definitely get in on this online multiplayer action

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

So, who remembers that thing I did where I created a bunch of Goons in OOTP and then got burnt out because I bit off more than I could chew since I couldn't find a place to upload stats and had to start doing them by hand?

I got bored and am simming out the years to get career stats, would you guys be interested enough in a final retrospective and history for me to make a new thread about it or should I just do some shorter info dump posts in here?

Sidenote: someone (who is still playing as I sim) is going to go down as one of the greatest players in history.

I would definitely be interested in seeing a more in depth look at this, I remember that thing

e: I forgot that my dude was looking like he was gonna be a friggin' beast in that

gardenald fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 25, 2014

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Buane posted:

It's completely up to you. I'm talking about teams that don't have a GM currently, so it's not like you'd be stepping in and wrecking anything. They're pretty rudderless already. The available teams are in either the mid tier or bottom tier as well (promotion/relegation league, so teams potentially move up/down after each season) so you aren't competing against the cream of the crop right off the bat either.

The time requirements are pretty low too so it's not something you'd find yourself in over your head with - we sim on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, so you only need to put maybe 15-30 minutes of effort in every two days at a minimum. Maybe a bit more than that at certain periods of the offseason, but still nothing major. And if you're like some of us, you're free to spend all your spare time at work mulling over different permutations of your lineup.

I might actually want to get in on this too, because obviously I'm not spending enough of my free time on fake baseball. I'll czech it out when I get home from work today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

What the hell should I do with this guy? This is probably the weirdest skill set I've ever seen in the game.

He's on pace for a 3 WAR season....with a .480 OPS. My manager has him leading off. With a .213 OBP. He's been on base 36 times and has stolen 23 bases.

I don't even know.

That dude is the best and I would bat him 9th and have him try to bunt for a hit like 60% of the time

• Locked thread