Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I still remember my awesome OOTP league :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm in an ootp 6.0 league that's looking for active gms if anyone is interested.

I'm supposed to post this to help recruit

quote:

Our Simulation Baseball League is looking for a few more owners. If you are not familiar with simulation baseball, it is a fantasy baseball game that does not run on real time baseball statistics so that it can be played year round. Think of it as being the general manager of a Madden franchise and instead of playing against 29 computers you are playing with 29 other human beings. If you are interest in this type of fantasy league, we would love to have you join us. Please use AOL Instant Messenger to contact the commissioner, Kosstic518 for an explanation of how the league works. The league runs off of the website https://www.kosstic3.com and the message boards for the league are located at https://www.kosstic3.proboards.com. We look forward to bringing in new members. Thank you for your time.

anyways open teams are baltimore, tampa, toronto, and cinci.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CraigK posted:

I love you and your random name generation, Baseball Mogul.

Playin' baseball to pay for law school :v:

how is he still in the minors

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the most surprising part is Mo Vaughn with 62 speed

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Uh

this is actually pretty accurate

e: the overall/peak...I didn't notice the hilarity of a 99 power

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It was just the Pain Train

WHOO WHOO

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mornacale posted:

It's the fact that Adam Dunn stole 12 bases.

I was leaning towards his .346 average

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Prisoner posted:

So what you're saying is that Art Howe is managing in your minor league system.

well played :golfclap:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Are there any edited roster sets out? Miguel Sano is listed at 55 power potential in the game I just started, which is ridiculous, he's a top 3 power prospect in the whole league.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How do I even sign up? I saw the Twins are open and I would like to take over, but I don't want to post in a random thread or anything.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Looks like I have to wait for account activation to do so. Ah well.

vvv nope, that's what it is vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 23, 2012

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

God drat, this team.

I probably did some things I shouldn't have but that's half the fun!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tavarin why does like nobody talk in this league

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

there's an IRC? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, what is it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

If you have the time to pick up a second league, and I've found it's not that hard to balance two leagues in the same community since there is so much overlap in the GMs, the RSL is a lot of fun and a good challenge. There are 3 teams open, 1 of which is kind of a dumpster fire but those can be fun to try to rebuild.

Not gonna lie, I was intrigued but after browsing the league page for a minute or so looking at the teams my eyes started bleeding and I decided it wasn't worth it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's a pretty cool league even though nobody ever does anything!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

You came around at kind of a slow time. It used to be a lot more active in terms of trades but I think it will pick up a bit more this season.

It not even trades, I just wish there was more banter :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

In OOTP11/13 I had a Third Baseman's defensive skills erode so badly he went from an 7 to a 0 in the position after his age 32 season. It was awful.

http://www.rujasu.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_32771.html

I really hope OOTP14 fixes draft classes/amateur players. The automatically generated draft classes are so bad. I think there's some stuff in the changes for 14 that should help fix this with feeder leagues/international/etc.

http://rujasu.net/cgi-bin/ootpou.pl?page=development&player=25865

you had it easy

Does OOTPDev ever do sales close to release? I want to pick up 14 at some point and holding out is gonna be hard with all the neat things they're adding.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Target Field is like death for lefty homers and righty homers should be neutral at worst (but it's probably below average because people are dumb)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So who else got ootp14 today?

I just started dinking around in it. While I don't know exactly how certain ratings correlate to performance I can tell that they still aren't very good at prospects.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm only in June right now, but it's pretty good so far. The new Player Development report is a godsend.

Trading is still frustrating as all hell for me, I cannot find settings that I can deem "realistic." It's either way too easy or way too "hard."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, draft classes are usually at pretty much 2* talent by the time my second pick comes around, which is pretty annoying. It really makes me not care about losing a pick to sign a comp FA because the odds that the pick I lose ever comes close to the current ability of the guy I'm signing are slim.

I think it's supposed to represent the fact that a lot of guys will get better over time but I'd rather have lower volume. I had 125 guys in my two rookie league affiliates. One 1B spec I've had for just over two years just started having his potential start climbing and I checked his stats (because stats generally correlate with ratings/potential boosts) and he hadn't gotten a single at bat in the two years I had him. Which makes cutting guys to lower the roster even harder (because you never know who might be the guy that breaks out!).

IFA are a pain in the rear end, too. I think my scout has "found" someone with a higher than 1.0 potential once, and it was a 2.0

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I had a random event where a pitcher I drafted out of college spent three years in the minors before suddenly retiring and going to the NBA because apparently he had also been drafted in the second round of the NBA draft back when I drafted him.

Was real annoying because I had just made a couple trades to make room for him in the rotation since he was getting pretty good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They really need to do something with contracts in OOTP. I signed Kershaw in FA for an AAV of less than 19 million after my second season. It helps that he had the "sign immediately" thing happen so there was no bidding war but I really think with guys like that they need to shoot higher. I see it happen with a lot of guys, too, signing for less than I really think they should be getting. And if my experiences in 13 are still true, when you get farther on in the league and owners progressively increase the team budgets it gets even more ridiculous because the average contracts don't increase.

It's not as big of a problem in online leagues but when I'm playing single player I just become the yankees after 5-10 years.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 25, 2013

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moe_Rahn posted:

I once had a game where Kevin Millar came back from chopping off all the fingers of his left hand in an incident with a lawnmower.

I had that one in 13, was hilarious.

Also had one where a 24 year old pretty good prospect for the dodgers had a career ender because he fell off his roof and broke his back

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is it possible to do a fantasy draft with the default rosters? Whenever I go to create a league to do it it creates fictional characters and when I try to do it in a regular game I can't find the options.

Also how do I put historical players in the draft?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think Football Manager is a little more in depth in terms of players (more abilities) but yeah that's probably pretty accurate, given my experience with it.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 2, 2013

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just won the World Series in an OOTP online league (that some of you are also in) by using the Colorado Rockies approach to pitching (4 man rotation, strict pitch counts) and having a MR pitch in 45 games and DH in 95 :v: (he has a 7/6/10/7/5 split against righties)

OOTP is the greatest.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm actually planning on doing a Be a Pro thing in OOTP14 like Hockles is doing once his thread starts winding down, as well.

I might do a real world LP after that if I don't think the workload will be too much.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm actually planning on doing a Be a Pro thing in OOTP14 like Hockles is doing once his thread starts winding down, as well.

I might do a real world LP after that if I don't think the workload will be too much.

as promised

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565080

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Regnevelc posted:

I picked this up at the sales price. I love OOTP, but is there a mode where you can be the Manager only? Let a computer GM do it's thing?

Manager options gives you this:

Which might be what you're looking for? The downside is that you're giving those powers to your manager and not someone else in the organization (as you are the GM) so they might make terrible decisions.

I actually play the opposite way and let the AI handle lineups and stuff while I only do the GM stuff. Sometimes I have to step in an mandate that some guys are used a certain way but mostly I stay hands off.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

To anyone who wants to join an online OOTP 14 league, we got spots! This league has been going on since 2010 and we are currently in our 13th season! It doesn't take much effort on your part, just own OOTP14 and do an export 3 times a week. Usually Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday. Put as much or as little effort in as you like! Inquire within:

http://simcentral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/245-SimCentral-MLB

If you have any questions about the league, IcePhoenix, Tadashi, and I are all members in it. There may be more SA regulars, but the names escape me.

You can especially ask myself and Harlock because we are the last two World Champions :smug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I won a world series with a reliever pulling double duty as a DH and a four man rotation all season come at me bros.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rincewind posted:

How newbie friendly is this? Doing an online league sounds like a lot pf fun, but I've owned OOTP for like two days so even though I know the UI and such I'm not exactly a startegic baseball mastermind.

It's pretty easy to jump in and play, most of the mechanics are self explanitory. They have an IRC channel as well and I'm sure people will be glad to help you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does anyone know how liberal the in game managers are with actually using a closer for more than one inning if I set the closer to "8th or later"? I have an elite closer with a boatload of stamina but the rest of my bullpen is average at best.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chaoslord posted:

After Regnevelc gets in, is there still room? I'm at work and the SCMLB site is blocked so I can't take a gander, but if there's still more room I'd like to hop in. If not, not the end of the world. I'm just starting to get back into OOTP (the last time I played was like...2010? Alex Gordon became a world beater and I had a pitcher go 24-1 as a rookie which was probably my favorite accopmlishment in any of these managerial type games) and I would love to jump into an online league.

Either way, I'll probably be posting war stories as I bungle around and try to figure this thing out. Maybe I'll start out managing in Venezuela or something and see if I can work my way to the Show.

I think there's like 16 open teams before Regnevelc and Rincewind pick so we should be able to squeeze you in

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah the AI spends some pretty serious money sometimes. Look at the Padres.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chaoslord posted:

In browsing around the reports that are online now since I'm at work (12/17, dont remember off the top of my head if that is current or a sim or two behind or whatever), Bauer was the second highest paid player in the MLB. That I could find anyway, maybe I missed a few.

Daniel Norris at $45,450,000 a year is the only one that could top the $38,000,000 that my (well, the AI that signed him) one-year wonder commanded.

Norris's contract isn't 45.45 AAV, Harlock frontloaded the poo poo out of it.

I also wouldn't call Bauer a one year wonder, being fair :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

I really really needed a front line starter and I never splurged in FA. Norris ended it up winning me the World Series in game 7, so totally worth it.

On the flip side, I had the same problem and splurged on Cody Bishop and you know how that worked out for me in the 2022 playoffs ;)

• Locked thread