Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Dear Historicals thread,

This past weekend, someone who I thought was my "friend" introduced me to Chain of Command. Now, for the first time in my life I'm idly browsing for WWII minis and contemplating giving Too Fat Lardies some of my hard-earned money.

Is it already too late for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I've dabbled ever so slightly in historicals before - I played 15mm ACW (using Gettysburg Soldiers, which is low-crunch, super easy to learn, and plays very quickly) at Origins a couple of years ago. That prompted my first forays into painting 15mm mans:

I've also done a little bit of Union infantry (Iron Brigade) and a couple of artillery pieces as well. But I have almost no terrain for them.

But I really liked the way that Chain of Command played, and am intrigued for sure. If I do take the plunge, I think I'll start with some early war Americans and German Afrika Korps, because I played Tallarn Desert Raiders in 40K (thank the gods I finally got out of that hell-trap) and Haqqislam in Infinity, so I have a decent amount of desert-themed terrain.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Are those minis plastic or metal?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I think for me one of the things that helped spark my interest in historicals was a simplification of the rules. Rivet-counting grognardia is all well and good if you have the time and energy to devote to it, but in my current state of life (job, house, wife, two small kids). I don't have the time to invest in spending 8 hours playing a game. Simpler rulesets (or ones like CoC that focus on smaller units) mean that I actually get to PLAY a game as opposed to just looking longingly at it and thinking it might be cool. FWIW, the same transition has happened in my RPG tastes - I have eschewed crunchier, more "realistic" games for stuff like Apocalypse World, which delivers story (the part about which I care) at a breakneck pace without dwelling on the mechanics of simulating whatever.

Gettysburg Soldiers might be more simplistic than Regimental Fire and Fury, but I can set up and play that poo poo in minutes. More importantly, I can teach one of my friends how to play it in minutes.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Painting the dudes is the killer part of all the mass combat historicals. I am absolutely enthralled by accounts of the ACW - probably the last major armed conflict where both sides lacked even rudimentary maps and largely stumbled around looking for each other based on vague cavalry dispatches and the "they went that-a-way" of the occasional sympathetic local. In terms of the "fog of war" aspect of wargaming, it offers some hilarious tactical challenges ("What do you mean my troops don't get a bonus for road movement? Oh, it was fresh gravel and they didn't have shoes. Right.")

But, man. Painting all those tiny dudes. Even in 15mm, and doing like 10 or 15-to-1 "stands," it's still just an incredibly daunting prospect.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

TFL games have a tendency to be quite innovative; does Sharp Practise bring anything particular to the board in this respect?
Indeed. I am blown away by Chain of Command (and its associated campaign supplement "At the Sharp End"). The core mechanic is really intriguing and it does a fantastic job of modeling all of the poo poo that inevitably goes wrong under combat conditions.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice! I look forward to reading your future AWI AARs!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok maybe I missed it in the last few pagesn but what is Sharp Practice?
It's the ruleset by TooFatLardies (the creators of "Chain of Command") that deals with the age of black-powder weapons (nominally 1760-1865). The latest revision just dropped this week, which is probably why you're seeing more about it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

E: and the blanket answer to the discussion on vulnerable artillery pieces in WW2 games IMHO is this: why the hell would you put large artillery pieces, which would launch projectiles from several kilometers, on the tabletop?
:agreed: Yeah, having artillery on the board just smacks of "40K" syndrome. Not having it on the table is actually one of the things I really like about CoC - even a basic infantryman's rifle can hit anything on the table, and artillery is modeled by forward observer teams rather than the guns themselves.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hey, Serotonin, you mentioned earlier that you have a bunch of Osprey manuals as :filez: With minis starting to come in, I'm looking for painting/color tips for various WW2 North Africa forces. Willing to help a brother out with a couple of jpgs?

Ilor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 28, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Scratch my earlier jpg request, I found a fantastic set of WW2 painting guides complete with good pics of the minis and broken out by VMC #s! They're here.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

YF19pilot posted:

And again, "X army has Y gimmick" is fine, up until it starts becoming clear that's all the thought the creator put into it.
This is one of the things that most impresses me about Chain of Command - the differences between the forces are at the platoon level and mostly deal with how the unit was organized, what equipment it had at its disposal, and how it deployed in the field. The effects are subtle, but definitely change how the forces play. It feels a lot less gimmicky.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That is an artist who does not understand the difference between fighting and fencing.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My Afrika Korps box just arrived from Warlord Games! :woop:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Posted a CoC AAR on the Lardies' forum here: Sidi Regezh

While I work on amassing and painting WW2 miniatures, it warms the cold, black, bitter cockles of my soul to use GW miniatures for a game that's actually good. Oh, wait, was that my Death Thread showing?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

The one thing that made me :stare: was five tanks. I guess you'll get a shitload of list support, but still, jeez.
The 5-tank platoon thing is straight out of Big Chain of Command. And since pretty much all of the German Tanks are from List 5, that gives you 25 points, for a total Force Rating of +5. That's right, a platoon of Panzer IIIs is ranked below an elite PanzerGrenadier or Fallshirmjager platoon. :shrug: That gives the Brits 6 free Support pretty much from the jump (That's an A9 or A10 and a Boys Rifle Team right off the cuff. Or a 37mm Bofors AT gun and a pre-game barrage. Or a Matilda II, which substantially out-armors anything the Germans have.

We haven't played a lot with tanks yet, but unsupported by infantry I think they're going to be more fragile that you might think. You're depending on rolling an awful lot of 3s to use them effectively. But we'll see. I am treating this whole experience as a play-test.

And at this point, the Afrika Korps has to survive long enough to seize the initiative. They got pretty chewed up in the first mission.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ah, OK, that's good to know!

Yeah, the stage of the war was one of the things that did concern me. By late war, everybody and their brother can get panzerfausts or PIAT teams for cheap, but early on you're usually looking at list 4 for any kind of decent AT weapon. Early war tanks generally suck enough that an AT rifle at least has a shot, but by mid-war things get really dicey because the tanks are much better.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

tomdidiot posted:

It pains my soul to see inaccurate miniatures being used.
Then avert your eyes, because I posted the AAR for the second mission. I'm making progress, though - at least this time I have appropriate minis for the Germans.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Speaking of primary sources...

After my paternal grandfather passed, my grandmother would occasionally mention something about "some old Civil War books" that grandpa wanted me to have. Always followed by, "oh, but I forgot to bring them. I'll try to remember next time." OK, cool, whatever. She didn't ascribe much importance to them, so I never followed up. This poo poo went on for like a decade, with her bringing it up every once in a while.

Finally at a family Thanksgiving two years ago, she hands me a non-descript shoe-box that contains this:

A better look at the spine:

Yes, that is in fact an original printing of both volumes of John C. S. Abbot's "History of the Civil War in America." Volume I was penned in late 1862 and published in 1863 - while the war was still going on.

Jesus, grandma, you didn't tell me that grandpa left me godsdamned TREASURE!!!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

This is my way of subtly recruiting :ssh:

And I fell for it. Dammit! :argh:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BeigeJacket posted:

I love BP but it took me a few games to realise that some units might not get to do anything the whole game.
See, this is where I think Sharp Practice 2 wins out. You might get unlucky with your draws and have units that don't do anything in a particular turn, but rarely will you have a unit that doesn't do anything all game. And if you do end up with that situation, it's because you chose to spend your activations/abilities on other units, not because you can't roll over an 8 on 2D6.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Sure, but there's no reason the same kind of mechanics couldn't be scaled appropriately.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea for the lower Union command values is that all of the Union's commanders with any ability or talent are busy fighting the Confederacy rather than chilling out in Maine.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I am absolutely enamored with Chain of Command, but the Command Dice mechanic (especially when applied to armored platoons) will mean you'll rarely be able to activate all of your tanks in a single phase. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but for people used to 1-unit = 1-activation per turn like 40K, a system like Bolt Action will probably be a more familiar mechanic.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The trap is playing the Russkies to begin with. :downsrim:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

feedmegin posted:

Lol if you think American armies promoted officers purely on merit, especially in 1861. 'You're some random dude from buttfuck Ohio and you recruited these guys and bought their uniforms, I guess you run the regiment now'.
^^^ This. It is mind-boggling to me how many unprofressional (i.e. absolutely zero military training or experience) colonels and generals there were, especially early in the war.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cross-posting from the Oath thread:

These are the first WW2 minis I've ever painted. I already have another US squad, 2 Bazooka teams, a German Tank Hunter team, and an SdKfz 222 in various stages of progress on my table. A plague upon every last one of you fuckers for being so helpful and supportive in helping me find another tabletop miniatures obsession. I hate you guys.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, but look how well that turned out for McClellan.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Blitzkrieg Miniatures makes a resin JU-87 in 28mm scale. I think there's one for sale on eBay right now, actually. It's a nice multi-part kit with clear plastic canopy. 1/48 planes are a little big, but depending on the scale creep associated with your 28mm figs (I'm looking at you, Crusader Miniatures), they look fine on the table.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

Well, people bitch that BA has rifle ranges that don't reach the end of the street, so it might be better at 20mm
That's where CoC is awesome - if you can see it, you can hit it.

In other news, I played a closely-fought wargame today; my opponent was my 5-year-old son.

It all started the other day when I was painting some minis. My son came down into my man-cave to see what I was up to. He knows he's not allowed to touch without asking first, and I let him play with a couple of GIs that were stripped and awaiting priming, and he poked around at a couple of my old Necron vehicles. He looked at the table (still set up from my last Chain of Command game). He was all, "Daddy, can we play a game with your army men?"

On a whim deeming it time to broach "The Subject," my immediate response was, "No, not until you're a little older - but we can play a game with your army men."

This met with enthusiastic agreement. A short while later, we had a "game" set up on the floor of the playroom, where there's a carpet that has grid squares. We each had three squads of five men each, and I explained that when it was your turn you could either move or shoot, and the objective was to capture the flag in the middle of the field. We each had a couple of "special materials" as he called them - he had a guy with a machine gun, a tank, and a humvee "army transport." I had a fixed emplacement (the turret from the other tank, which is broken), a couple of guys withu flame-throwers, and a giant ant. He's five, whatever, I went with it. He was the green army men, I was the tan army men. Well, my giant ant was black.

Well, rolling dice and moving guys all over the floor and taking cover in sandbags and whatever, it came down to his last three guys versus my last three guys duking it out in melee on top of the objective. We both killed two opponents with our next roll, so it was one-on-one for the whole shebang. We threw our single die each and when the rolling stopped:

I don't think I've ever been so stoked to lose a game by the slimmest of margins. He had a blast as well, and is now harassing me pretty regularly to play "capture the flag." He's currently up on me, two games to one. According to him, this makes him "president of the army."

Solid.

I'm hoping it sticks, and that I've introduced another little wargamer to a life-long love of games.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, unless you have a well-established group that is willing to share the load, you're pretty much always going to end up doing both sides.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Colonial Air Force posted:

My absolute favorite Russian tank model ever

Grass tank = best tank

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

DiHK posted:

Does CoC ever get played in 1/35? I've got some tamiya models/troopers sitting around; my original plan was to build a diorama but dual purposing my gerrys would be pretty cool too.
Yeah, you could do CoC at 1/35, but you'd need a pretty big play area. But it's aces at anything from 10mm to 32mm, and fits nicely on a 4'x6' table. I picked 28mm just because there are so many available options for minis and vehicles.

And the biggest benefit of the two-man scout team rules that I've seen is as a cheap way to threaten an enemy Jumping-Off Point and/or force an enemy counter-deployment. In that regard, it's super-useful.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I felt much the same way when I started my very first 28mm WW2 troops.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
OK, historigoons, I have reached that point: I've painted and weathered my 28mm WW2 vehicles to my satisfaction. But as of this moment, I have not applied any markings to them (iron crosses, stars, numbers, squadron markings, etc). I don't have any appropriate water-slide transfers, so I'm considering making stencils and/or free-handing it. How bad of an idea is this? Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what did you use to make your stencils? Or should I just go out, get some transfers, and be done with it?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, I left off weathering the areas where I was going to do the markings so I could go back in later.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
And the finished product (cross-posted from the Oath Thread)

I ended up making a small template out of Scotch Tape (I printed out the design, laid the transparent tape over it, then cut out the design with a #11 X-Acto). It wasn't perfect, but it let me get the Balkenkreuz roughed in, and I was then able to touch up by hand the bits that needed it.

I'm not sure, but I think I might need to take photos with less light, or maybe more diffuse light. A lot of the rust effects don't really show up in the pictures.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Most of the determination of what does or does not count as crew comes from the field manuals of the various armies in question. So if the time period you're modeling has 2-man crews, great. If it has 3-man crews, equally great. The rules themselves will work just as well either way, and the only difference will be in the "cost" of the unit (and usually an extra rifleman either way isn't enough to make a difference in Force Rating).

I've played a lot of tabletop wargames over the years, but was just introduced to CoC a few months ago; Every time I think about it, I am continually blown away by how cool CoC is. The way it operates is magic. It's easy to grasp and fast to play. The rules are simple, but the player is constantly presented with interesting and consequential tactical decisions, which I love. I also love that wiping your opponent out to the last man is both a) not really your objective, and b) generally really loving difficult to do. The resulting battles just feel more interesting and plausible as a result.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
FWIW, there's a huge discussion going on in the CoC forums right now about the merits of the "Ronson" tag as it applies to various tanks. Apparently it had much to do with the dry s wet storage ammo bins, and I know I've seen entries in the Consolidated Arsenal lists where only Shermans with dry storage get the Ronson tag.

Also, the rules for Commissars aren't listed in the main rules because their roles varied pretty strongly by the stage of the war. Depending on the local conditions, they ran the gamut from functional assistants/adjutants to effective morale officers to ruthless executioners to tireless propagandists. It has been suggested that the best use for them is as bonuses to the rolls for the "mens' opinion of the senior leader" in the "At the Sharp End" campaign supplement, perhaps as well as a further penalty if your commander gets summoned before his CO as a "carpet parade."

Like most of the CoC rules, the period in which the game is taking place is what will determine how most stuff should work (a fact which the historical grognard in me greatly appreciates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well tell them if the Sherman gets it, the Panther should too, because it had giant loving ammo ranks in the (paper thin) sides and gasoline tended to pool on the engine deck.
There's a dude who is arguing exactly that point.