Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So I played another couple of CoC games today. Our first game was another teaching game, because we had a couple of dudes there who'd never played before. The first game was good fun, and started with us (the Americans) deploying a scout team and hoofing it forward towards an enemy JOP that ended up kind of in the open. To make things doubly awesome, our first roll included double 6's, so we'd actually get the first two turns. We managed to book our scout team forward to within 4" of their exposed JOP and deployed another two full squads on overwatch, just waiting for something to happen. Their first turn? 66644. That's right, an immediate end of turn, which lost them the JOP (and a Force Morale point) and didn't even let them deploy anything unless they wanted to subject a lone Senior Leader to overwatch fire. Chalk one up to the Americans, -1 German FM before a single shot had been fired! Unfortunately, the end-of-turn cleared out all of our overwatch, and their following roll let them bring on two full squads, one each from their remaining JOPs. Because of the relative openness of the territory between the two forces (mostly low hedgrows), it devolved into a standoff fight between the Americans and the Germans, which the massed weight of the MG42s are almost always going to win. I tried to use an interrupt to move a fresh squad into a rocky outcrop on a flanking position against another German JOP, but by movement roll was about 3" too short, exposing me to fire from two MG42 teams. Needless to say, I lost like 3 guys and gained 4 shock before I was in position, at which point I didn't have the firepower to dislodge the Jerries. It ended up a German victory when they bagged our Platoon Sergeant and dropped our Force Morale to like a 2.

By far more exciting was the second game we played, which was the inaugural game in our home-grown Kasserine Pass campaign. A brief bit of background:

"North Africa, February, 1943. Allied forces are pressing in on 'Fortress Tunis' from all sides. So far, the Allies have had it relatively easy - German and Italian troops, crippled by poor logistics, have largely been willing to give ground in exchange for time. But Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel has now decided that the time is right to strike - a sharp counterattack could put the disorganized Allied advance on its heels, buying valuable time and potentially capturing much needed fuel and supplies.

Meanwhile, Supreme Allied Commander Dwight D. Eisenhower needs a win pretty badly for political reasons. To that end, he has ordered the various forces under his command to push toward Tunis with all haste, not least because he'd like to capture Tunis itself before the insufferable Montgomery breaches the Mareth line and beats him to it.

Seizing the initiative, Axis forces have swept the French and American defenders from Faïd Pass and the town of Sidi Bou Zid, and are quickly advancing across the wide valley between the Eastern and Western Dorsale mountains. As the German and Italian counteroffensive sweeps westward, the Allies are rushing to bring reinforcements forward to halt the Axis advance. Our story begins as those forces meet in that valley, near the center of which sits a tiny Tunisian town called Kasserine."

Right, so this campaign pits the Germans and Italians against the Americans, British, and Free French. Each player gets to pick a force, and each for gets something cool and something bad related to their force. It's designed to support "Big CoC' with 2-on-2 or 2-on-3 play, but because we wanted to start small, this first battle pitted the Italians (who get an extra "free" regular infantry squad but who receive a -2 to their beginning Force Morale roll - I naturally netted us an abyssmal 8) versus the Americans (whose troops count as green, but who always get the benefit of a pre-game barrage, even for scenarios that don't normally offer it like Patrol). So the Italians are numerous but will roll up like a cheap carpet when things start to go south (historically accurate) and the Americans are in way over their collective heads but make most of their gains behind effective air and artillery power (also historically accurate).

Making matters worse for the Italians, the Americans chose an additional pre-game barrage, and what this means is that the barrage effects last through the first TWO turns of the game. This would prove to be brutal. For their further support choices, they picked a sniper and an armored car (the one with the .50 CAL up top, I forget the type). With only 1 support choice, we Italians chose a Satchel Charge.

The patrol phase started out relatively sedately, but very quickly turned into a sort of turning-movement, where instead of fighting across the field the short way, much of the action went the long way. With the higher Force Morale (a whopping 10!), the Americans deployed first, conservatively just to see what we'd do. The artillery barrage really screwed with us, and in the end we were only able to bring on one of our squadros (which is should be pointed out is like 20 men!) and the rifle team (sans Caporale) from the "supernumerary extra" squadro we got as our special rule.

In short order we started exchanging fire, with the complete Italian Squadro deployed in a rocky outcrop laying down withering fire. To his credit, his American counterpart was making some killer rolls, accruing almost no kills and very little shock. I tried twice to bring on our second full squadro to lock down our left flank, and each time the barrage prevented us from doing so. The American sniper tagged our deployed Sergente at one point, reducing his CIs to 1. Suck, because now he couldn't direct the fire of the twin Breda sections in his squadro. And that was when the American armored car came on. Things were looking bad for the Italians, and I think by this point we were down to FM 5 vs FM 7 or 8.

At long last I finally brought on our second squadro on the left flank and began moving them forward, firing at half effectiveness as I went. I was trying to get within the magic 18" because at close range the green Americans would just start to evaporate (needing only a 3+ to hit them). Unfortunately, my movement scores were for suck. I kept rolling 1s and 2s. Fortunately, they weathered the incoming fire pretty well and didn't accumulate too much shock. I even used a CoC die interrupt to get them closer and up to a good hedgeline for cover, but suffered an awful round of half-strength shooting.

It was about this time that the American Armored car made a rush on our rightmost (and almost totally exposed - because the barrage kept us from putting guys there) JOP, getting to within the magic 4". And we were sitting at FM 4. Fortunately, they didn't have a CoC die to end the turn - yet. In desperate response, the Tenente sent a brave Satchel Bomber out to deal with the AFV, but the poor bugger tripped or balked or just thought better of his life choices - right up until the .50 CAL HMG eradicated him. now we were down to FM 3 versus the Americans FM 4 (we'd wiped out the enemy squad on our right.

Finally, I got the shot I was looking for on the left - a full barrage at under 18" against green troops in light cover. Needless to say, they broke, bringing American FM down to a 2. At this point they couldn't win the scenario, but our previous roll (with our whopping 3 dice) had included 2 6's, meaning one more phase before they could disengage. Turning my sights to the relatively fresh American squad in the center, I unloaded on them. It was just outside close range, but the effect was devastating. Not only did they suffer a couple of casualties and significant shock, their Lieutenant got straight up killed, the combined effect dropping their Force Morale to less than 0 an routing them from the field. Our Force Morale was still at 3, just barely enough to win the scenario. Had they been able to end the turn before our go, they'd have captured our JOP and forced us to pull back. All in all it was an incredibly close game, a nail-biter right down to the end, which I absolutely love.

Final casualties:

Italiano Squadro 1: 4 casualties, sergente minor wound, caporale minor wound <- these guys spent most of the game in hard cover on a rocky outcrop, and probably suffered more casualties to .50 cal and sniper fire than infantry fire.
Italiano Squadro 2: 6 casualties, caporale minor wound <- This was my squad that couldn't move fast to save their lives
Italiano supernumerary rifle team: 3 casualties <- It should be pointed out that these guys sucked up an IMMENSE amount of fire early on and weathered it like champs. They were eventually pinned, but never broke - a good thing because we didn't have the Force Morale to spare

US Squad 1: 12 casualties, JL killed, Platoon Sgt minor wound
US Squad 2: 5 casualties
US Squad 3: 2 casualties, Lieutenant killed

Using the "At the Sharp End" campaign system, many of those dudes will be back. The Americans also have a special rule that effectively lets them rotate 2 platoons in and out of action each turn, so they may want to do that. I suspect the next game is going to see a hell of a lot more armor on the allied side, which will be interesting.

Once we've had a chance to put this campaign through its paces, I'll pitch it to Big Rich and see if he wants to include it in either the Winter Special or as its own Pint Size campaign. And if he's not interested, gently caress it, I'll give it away for free on the forums.

Hope you enjoyed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I am sorely tempted by this Sharp Practice offer, but I quite literally have too much poo poo going on right now. I'm painting my Oath (trying to get ready for an upcoming Infinity Tourney), managing an ongoing Infinity campaign, and just kicked off a Chain of Command campaign. But gods drat does Sharp Practice look sexy.

If you do get any takers, pleasepleaseplease do some good play-by-play action for those of use who want to live vicariously through you.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

I think I asked this before but how does Sharpe Practice differ from CoC? Aside from the time period.
NOTE: The following is what I have gleaned from obsessively watching Rich's videos and reading the TFL Forums - I do not yet own the actual rule book. Hopefully someone who actually owns the game can set it straight where I've screwed it up or misunderstood something.

The big differences are the importance of leaders and in how the turn mechanics work. Instead of activation dice that you roll at the beginning of a phase which dictate what you can do, you have one chit for each Leader, as well as a couple of flags (four for each player, I think). All of these get thrown in a bag, along with a "Tiffin" chit, which signifies the end of the turn.

When a leader's chit (or card, I guess, you can do it with cards too) gets pulled, that leader gets to do stuff. Different levels of leaders have different amounts of stuff they can do, much like the "Command Initiatives" for leaders in CoC. One of his basic actions is to "activate a unit." Activated units get two actions (e..g. load + move, or present + fire, or whatever). Shock is still a thing, and rallying it off is an important activity for your leaders.

The Flag chits are special - they represent extra stuff you can do (essentially adding to a leader's action count). You don't have to spend them immediately, and in fact it can be in your best interests to try to hang onto them to do cooler stuff - and that's because many units have special abilities that can get activated with one or more of these Flags. Like "Step Out" gives you an extra move, which can be super handy for trying to get skirmishers into the cover of the woods. "Thin Red Line" lets you fire a volley and then immediately make a bayonet charge (AWI British troops drilled heavily on this tactic). The trick is, if the Tiffin chit comes up and the turn ends, the only thing you can do with unspent flags is activate a unit that has not yet activated that turn (and without the benefit of any leader actions - like rolling a 2 on a Command Die in CoC). I think if you manage to save up all 4 flags before the Tiffin chit comes up, you get to activate a leader a second time, which is hard to pull off, but hugely effective if you can get it to work.

The other neat thing about the system is that units come in "Groups" (usually around 6 or 8 dudes, which tend to get stuck on those sexy multi-slot movement bases), but certain Groups can combine together into Formations. This is directly analogous to Teams and Sections in CoC in that while in Formation, Groups share their hits/shock evenly, making them much harder to break. Not all Groups can combine into Formations (e.g. lovely militia units and most skirmishers), so it pays to know what kinds of troops you have or are facing.

There are a few other cool things too, like differences for moving in line or column, reforming your unit, and (one of my personal favorites) "uncontrolled fire." If a leader gives a command to a Formation (i.e. a unit comprised of several Groups) to fire-at-will (i.e. as fast as they can load and fire), they enter "uncontrolled fire" and the leader actually needs to take a test to get them to stop - because it's a big unit where no one can hear him shouting over the din or see him frantically waving his sword through all the smoke. This can lead to hilarious consequences if a forward unit breaks from "fisticuffs" and is forced to retreat into the line-of-fire of a friendly unit engaging in uncontrolled fire. A couple of the batreps I've read have exhibited exactly this kind of period-appropriate comedy gold.

Rules for cavalry and artillery round things out, covering pretty much all of the period bases.

Because the period covers a pretty wide variety of both technological and tactical/training innovations, there are minor differences for troops armed with muskets vs rifles, or buck-n-ball, or dragoons versus lancers, or solid shot versus canister shot or whatever. But the beauty of that is that the glorious grognards on the TFL forums have done virtually all of that research for you. Wanna play a Napoleonic game set during the Iberian Peninsula Campaign? There's a list for that. Want to do some American War of Independence? Early or Late? There's a list for that. Seven Years War? That depends, do you want to play it in Europe or in the New World? Either way, there's a list for that. Indian Mutiny? Maori Wars? They've gotcha covered.

Each list breaks down the available units (there's usually only a handful) and whatever special abilities they have (there's usually only a handful) and off you go. Each unit has a points cost (there's a "Sharpulator" similar to the "CoCulator" for coming up with points costs for your own lists should you choose to play in an era that miraculously doesn't already have one), and the game uses a CoC-like method that allows units with lower points values to take extra support options.

I already have too many miniature wargaming obsessions, but I am gonna get this game. It is only a matter of time.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Actually, one of the things I really like about CoC is that it has a couple of different knobs you can tweak in regards to unit quality. In addition to the green/regular/elite scale (which dictates how difficult it is to score hits on you), there's also the ability to add or remove a Command Die from your pool (which dictates who or what you can activate in any given phase). One represents a unit's overall training and experience, the other reflects its command-and-control capabilities. I know at least one of the pint-sized campaigns (though I forget which one) features a paratrooper force that is rated as regular but only gets 4 Command Dice (instead of the normal 5) because poor planning and horrendous weather conditions made their drop so disastrously disorganized. So on an individual/team level the men are well-trained and effective, but coordinating them well to accomplish your objective is gonna be challenging.

That's a pretty cool nuance, IMO.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

That is pretty cool.

Man I want to play CoC :sigh:
Then we should do it. I know exactly two things about VASSAL or Roll20 (those being "jack" and "poo poo"), but there has to be some way we can put something together so you can at least give the mechanics a try. Maybe we mine Grey Hunter for ideas after that Sharp Practice game, yeah?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

Ilor, when we've got some time, do you have a preference for theatre/era? I'm personally pretty easy.
I'm easy. I'm doing mostly early war/North Afrika stuff right now, so let's maybe mix it up and do some late war Eastern Front.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Also, I wrote up a brief AAR of this game here earlier, but I've gone and written up the full description (including how the campaign is structured and what some of the national special abilities are) on the TFL forums. Convenient link: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4225

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

First block of 8 French fusiliers more or less ready for basing, from the Perry plastic French Line Infantry box:

Very nice! The insignia detail on the ammo pouches is a fantastic touch.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

Thanks! I'm getting some help with figuring out details from the scary Napoleonics community in town next over. They play General de Brigade in 28mm. Like, with tons and tons of miniatures:

Sharp Practice will do nicely for me to start with, 30-50 miniatures is much more realistic.
Good criminy that's a lot of minis!

Yeah, I want to try Sharp Practice so very, very badly, but I refuse (REFUSE, I say!) to start buying into another historical miniatures game until I have at least one Axis and one Allied platoon done for CoC. REFUSE! I must stay strong. I must!

But you fuckers with your gorgeous minis and awesome tables aren't helping, nor is reading more about how SP2 works and digesting batreps and suspecting that it will be fun as hell to actually play. I suppose I could do what I'm doing for CoC and just proxy stuff until...

GODDAMMIT! NO. REFUSE, I SAY!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
My Americans are Black Tree and I love them. They're a little bit chunky/heroic scale, but the poses are really nice and they have great detail.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Sanguine posted:

Has anyone tried chain of command out?
Can confirm, Chain of Command is loving amazing. It is the thing that finally got me into WW2 historicals (plus also, gently caress you all, like I needed another tabletop minis game). It has by far some of the most novel, interesting, and elegant mechanics I've ever encountered in a tabletop game. It constantly presents the players with challenging tactical decisions and is anything but "gamey." And when they say "play the period, not the rules" they're not loving kidding. The game just oozes period-appropriate engagements. It's not like some BA "World War 40K" kind of mix-n-match list-building crap - you are playing a platoon, with theater and organizationally appropriate support units (which thankfully, other massive grognards have researched so you don't have to if that's not your thing). The game-play is easy to pick up, and it is remarkably well balanced.

And if you pick up the "At the Sharp End" campaign supplement (for whatever, like $5), it gives you the tools to "Forge a Narrative" in ways that GW has only dreamed about.

So yeah, spectralent's right - everyone should play it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
:agreed: The Force Morale rules are one of the game's cooler mechanics. You don't have to wipe out your opponent's entire force (in fact it's actually really hard to do so), you just have to crush his will to fight.

What's cool is that this effect actually becomes more pronounced in campaign play. You start trying to balance "can I afford to lose this scenario?" with "can I afford the losses I'll incur to win this scenario?" After a particularly bloody engagement, you might voluntarily surrender the campaign initiative to your opponent because it gives you a little bit of time to breathe, dig in, and get some of your guys back from the aid station. This introduces an interesting ebb-and-flow mechanic to campaigns.

I also dig that in campaign play, your relative losses in one game can have an effect on your Force Morale in the next - as if your men see you as "keeping our guys safe" vs. "sticking it to the enemy," your starting FM goes up. Or, as in the case of my solo campaign, the Irish ginger lieutenant - at first much beloved by his men because he'd come up through the enlisted ranks himself - has now become known to the men of the platoon as "The Red Menace" because he keeps getting so many of them killed. The fact that he was just awarded a Military Cross has more or less confirmed their suspicions that he means to make his military career on their bloody backs. To call them "unenthusiastic" about engaging the enemy is putting it mildly. I think between the mens' opinion and LT's mood from the most recent rear end-chewing by his CO, the modifier to my initial Force Morale roll is a -4. :cripes:

Oh, yeah, that's another reason you should get this game - it supports solo play really well. The unit activation mechanic works such that you won't know from phase to phase which units you'll be able to activate. This is a game where I've literally been able to ambush myself and think, "wow, I did not see that coming."

Ilor fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 1, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Double post, sorry.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

The perry DAK and Desert Rat boxes are 20 pounds each, and both include the basic platoon you need for a CoC force. After that, you're pretty much adding the toys you want, not what you actually need to play.
^^^ This. I took this excellent advice and am partway through the assembly of a DAK platoon. I sprung for the Warlord DAK starter set ($80 US), which also got me a tank and an armored car for kicks. I got some BlackTree Americans at a budget rate from a friend who has more pewter than he knows what to do with.

Or, you could start how I started - take perverse delight in proxying the gently caress with some 40K Imperial Guard minis to play a game that's actually, you know, good.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
We don't pre-measure in CoC largely because it's funnier that way. "I dunno, do you think those guys are in close range or just effective range? Why don't you order them to fire and find out?" For most stuff it doesn't matter, so I think it's fine to play it either way. But most of us also play Infinity (which strictly forbids pre-measure for very important/good reasons), so I guess we're just used to not wanting/needing to do it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

I know have a box of Italian Paras (got it for my contributions) and I'm still going to order brits!
Nice! I just lucked into some Italian Bersaglieri myself.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

moths posted:

I wasn't planning on it, but I pulled the trigger on some cheap Perry DAK today. I hadn't considered playing CoC solo, but that actually sounds like a fun way to kill a lazy afternoon...
It's a lot of fun, actually. I know I've probably posted about it here in the past, but if you want to read an AAR of my ongoing solo campaign (which I might actually get to start the next turn for tonight provided I can get my mess of a gaming table squared away), I give unto you a helpful link: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3727

EDIT: tonight I get to find out how im/balanced a straight up armor vs infantry battle is using the Armored Platoon Force Rating calculator as given in "Big CoC." It's still early-war (no PIATs), so I think the British are going to take a pounding.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 2, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goodness posted:

What are the good reasons? Estimating a length is a practical skill which hurts players that can't do it as well.
Because of the way orders and reactions are structured, you often times have to decide how you're going to react to something, and the viability of your options change based on the distance to your target - often without knowing whether or not your target is going to continue moving if you're the Reactive Turn player. A perfect example is the "Direct Template" weapon, e.g. things like flamethrowers. If your dude is X distance away, he might have to gauge whether it's best to run forward 4" (maybe out of cover) and use the flamethrower (which hits automatically), or stay in cover where he is and use a rifle (which only has a chance of hitting) instead. Similarly, most of my line infantry are armed with a rifle with an under-mounted shotgun. The "to hit" modifier in the 0-8" range band is +0 for a rifle but +6 for a shotgun. From 8"-16" the shotgun drops to +0 and the rifle rises to +3. So if you're super-close, I definitely want to use the shotgun. But if you're a shade farther away, it's actually better for me to use my rifle.

And for what it's worth, all measuring happens at the end after both players have declared their orders/reactions, such that no one gets a pre-measurement advantage. It's entirely possible that both players can guess wrong (and I've seen this happen).

So yes, it's a real-world skill that incurs an advantage in the game. So is the ability to remember the pertinent situational rules. So is an understanding of covering/suppressive fire, combined arms, and maneuver warfare. Nobody complains about those.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

moths posted:

If I understand infinity correctly, you shouldn't have any clear fire lanes that are more than about 10" anyway.
Untrue. While you definitely want to break up line-of-sight (it's much more terrain intensive than, say, 40K), elevated positions with good line-of-sight and "sniper lanes" are definitely a thing in the game. Part of the interesting game-play is being able to work it such that your various units are engaging at their most beneficial ranges. That means snipers and HMGs are used to lock down more remote areas where you think the enemy may move. It makes things like "cautious movement" (sprinting short distances between cover so as not to get shot) and the tactical use of smoke extremely important. It also rewards things like coordinated orders - where multiple troopers are moving and firing simultaneously, often from different angles of approach, forcing the trooper with the long-range weapon to make a difficult decision as to how to react.

I realize it's a non-historical, but I love Infinity for the same reason that I love Chain of Command - it models a particular kind of combat really well. What Chain of Command does for the inherent chaos and difficulty of controlling a WW2 infantry platoon, Infinity does for high-tech, combined arms, special-operations tactical engagements at the squad-level.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goodness posted:

None of that would be affected by being able to premeasure. There would still be those choices of whether you want to risk moving forward to do more damage/have a better position or sit back.

"ability to remember the pertinent situational rules. So is an understanding of covering/suppressive fire, combined arms, and maneuver warfare. Nobody complains about those." Because they are part of learning the rules of the game. Not being able to premeasure is only a disadvantage to players who cannot guess ranges well. Its similar to games where you can't look at the discard even though they have all been discarded face up. It does not convey any positive benefit to the players. Just gives an advantage to people with a better memory without regard to them being a better player.
I posit to you that for a game like that having a better memory is part of being a better player. You want to get good at the game? Work on your memory - it's a skill like any other. I was poo poo at guessing ranges until I started playing IG in 3rd Edition 40K. Then I got so I could eyeball something out to about six feet and be off by no more than an inch or so. Under 48" and I was pretty much dead-nuts. Then they took guess-ranged weapons out of the game and that skill atrophied through disuse. I'm still fairly decent at it, but I still occasionally gently caress up my range bands in Infinity. "Ooooh, crap, 24 and a half inches, So close..." It happens to us all. But I'm better at it now than I was when I started.

I know people who are poo poo at some board games too. I am probably one of them (although I'm pretty ruthless at 7-Wonders). Yet my wife can look at a Catan board and the order people have rolled for the placement of settlements in the initial set-up and probably tell you to within an 80% certainty who will win the game. She just gets that game at a level that I don't. :shrug:

Look, is it fair that I can't kick a ball like Lionel Messi? I dunno, but I think it's as fair as life is in general. It doesn't stop me from enjoying doing it. And maybe if I spent as much time doing it as he does, I'd be way better at it than I am now.

EDIT: and in a casual setting, I could care less if people pre-measure. In fact it's a good way to help teach the game. I'm not saying that all games are made better by allowing or disallowing pre-measurement, just that it has its uses.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 2, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

Using Infinity as an example of good game design is doomed to failure TBH. Way too much chaff in that ruleset and using single D20 opposed rolls for everything is the best way to ensure players can get dicefucked by every FLGS's stock.
I know I've told you this before - it's almost never single d20 rolls. And when you apply the difference in number of dice rolled versus target number required versus opposition's number of dice rolled and target number, then factor all that in with the need to roll better than the other guy within what can be very different constraints, the probability mechanics are actually really intricate.

Also, you can get dicefucked in any game that uses dice. Playing Apocalypse World games with selnaric is comedy gold because that dude can't usually roll above a 4 on sum-of-2D6 to save his loving life.

And while we're on the subject of probability, being able to quickly calculate probabilities in your head gives you a pretty sizable advantage in most wargames. It lets you look at a situation and say, "OK, those guys have X chance to hit, meaning they'll kill Y number of my dudes, which reduces my future combat potential to Z - is that reduction enough to warrant me doing something different?" Everybody can have hot or cold dice on any given day, but over the long haul, the guy who can run the numbers better will have more success than the one who can't.

And no, I'm not talking about giving people advantages to their fightmans based on their prior bayonet training (although if a dude threatened to bayonet me over it, I'd prolly give his guys an extra inch or two of movement, sure). I'm talking about the fact that someone who's seen a machinegun in action knows that running out in the open in front of one is a really bad idea. Tabletop gamers who've never done any kind of combined-arms training learn that crap the hard way - by losing a bunch of games and going, "Well, poo poo, I'm not gonna try that again..." There's a reason there are so many vets in the tabletop wargaming world - especially in historicals. They don't need to learn the base concepts of the game, they just need to learn the mechanics used to apply those concepts. They already know that advancing across open ground against an entrenched MG-42 without the benefit of any kind of covering fire is pretty suicidal.

(mandatory zing ->) Unless you're playing Bolt Action, where I guess it's actually mostly safe.

What I'm saying is that "generalship" is a skill like any other. Why should being able to estimate distances or do math in your head or remember which cards have been played be any different? If it's part of the game and you want to be good at the game, just learn to do it. Equally, if you don't think it brings anything mechanically interesting to the table then ignore it. But complaining that it makes "irrelevant" skills important seems pretty disingenuous.

EDIT - also, that is a freaking beautiful PaK 40!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Also - show-and-tell time - How do you get your static grass to stand up in such nice little tufts like that? That is freaking awesome.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Enentol posted:

I cheat, and let someone else do the hard work:
http://www.tajima1.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=282517
Fiendishly clever!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I think more than anything else it's just a case of being chill with your opponent, regardless of rule set. I mean, yes, Infinity is a hard "no pre-measure" game, but you also have stuff like where players are declaring their intent and working together with their opponent to get stuff in the right place. "OK, I'm gonna move this guy up to that corner, but not so far out that that other dude can see him. Take a look from your side and let me know how far that is." And if the answer is, "no, man, as soon as that guy breaks cover he'll be seen," then most people are cool with "take-backsies" even in organized tournament play. "Hmmm, I guess I'll Idle and then chuck a smoke grenade instead, then." As long as you haven't gotten to the point where dice have been rolled (which only happens after all of the orders/reactions have been declared and movement is finished), people are remarkably flexible about it.

I do agree that establishing distances before dice are rolled is a good practice, though. Like declare you're going to have your hussars make a mounted charge or whatever, but then measure the distance first and agree with your opponent, "so if I roll an 8 or more, you'd agree they make contact, yes?" Then once that agreement is made, roll dice. I've seen more 40K arguments start over random charge distances than anything else in the game, mostly because people didn't agree before the dice hit the table only to have the guy who doesn't want to get assaulted be claiming you're like 1mm too far out.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

Finished the last Fusiliers in my box of plastics from Perry, so now I'm off to base coat some Voltigeurs. That means I have almost four units of 8 infantrymen now (three men lacking in one of them due to the box having command instead of those three men, triggering some serious OCD).

Are these 28mm plastics? They look fantastic!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ooooh, consider your Napoleonic blog bookmarked!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Man, I'm pretty much made up to buy into Bolt Action (my FLGS is making a pretty great value offer for preordering, considering the discount plus throwing in a box of Infantry), but I'm kind of debating whether or not to get a US infantry box or to grab instead a box of British (that I might be using as Canadians instead). I don't suppose anyone could help sway me one way or another.

The Perry plastic Desert Rats are amazing, and could easily be fielded as Canadians in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

I kind of wonder if CoC wouldn't work for 'nam. I think there was meant to be a CoC for afghanistan but that's a wee bit modern for my liking.
"Fighting Season" (the modern CoC designed to mimic COIN operations in places like Afghanistan) is supposed to be out later this year, but with the sudden popularity of Sharp Practice and some family issues keeping him busy, Rich has said that's likely to get pushed back. He's still working on it, though.

But there is a dude who has done a CoC conversion for Vietnam. So far he's posted army lists for the US, VC, ANZACs, and ARVN (notably, no NVA yet). I haven't looked into it too closely because I'm still trying to get all of my recently-acquired WW2 stuff done, but I think that platoon level engagements (what CoC was built for) are prefect for Vietnam.

Here's a link to his thread on the TFL forums:
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4132

And here's a link directly to his blog:
http://carportgaming.blogspot.com.au/

EDIT: I don't know if this is the same as the people on the Facebook group.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 6, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Why not just single-base your 15mm dudes? Or do you already have them multi-based?

I have a bunch of 15mm ACW stuff where the figs are multi-based in groups of 4. Like this:

I am strongly considering running them in Sharp Practice counting each base as a single miniature, essentially playing at the regimental level. I think it should translate fine and will probably look bad-rear end on the table.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot. I'll need some hand-holding for the interface, though - I've never done anything on Roll20 before. Also, I'm in Eastern (Daylight) US time zone, if that matters.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Given that Roll 20 was originally designed for multi-player RPGs, I'd guess the answer is, "sure!"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

I posted some of my thoughts on starting sharp practice on our blog. Will follow up with baby's first battle report tomorrow

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/09/sharp-practice-v2-dipping-into-lard.html?m=1
Dammit, muggins, did you play this game at MTS this weekend? I wish I had known, I'd have liked to check it out!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

Oh man I didn't realize there was another michigoon in this thread. Where you at son?
I'm in Ann Arbor.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

ExtraNoise posted:

All of Black Tree/EOE Orbis's (why do all of these companies have two names?) stuff is 50% off right now:

http://eoeorbis.com/collections/world-war-2
Oh, gently caress yes, I can finish off my US platoon for CoC! I got the lot used and only had enough dudes for like 2 and a half squads. :argh: Thanks for the heads-up!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

Unfortunately there are a few places where the lists are not so clear. Two crew are holding the Bar or reloading/spotting, so they only provide firepower throught the Bar. The third man is part of the team, but can shoot with his rifle as well. That's the difference, crew are busy with the gun, but there are often additional teammembers who don't count as crew.
For what it's worth, Rich has amended the BAR team to be one crew (the guy with the BAR itself) and two riflemen (guys carrying extra magazines). So when the whole 3-man team fires, the total firepower is 5 (3 for the BAR and 1 for each of the riflemen). I think this is addressed in the FAQ.

Generally, when a team is listed with special equipment (e.g. a Bren or an MG42), that line refers only to the weapon itself. The "crew" are the people required to man it effectively, and anyone else in the team is considered a rifleman. So an MG42 has a crew of 2 (a gunner and a loader). It is of note that if the LMG is inadequately crewed, it loses firepower (as now the gunner is having to dink around with prepping and loading his own belts, swapping out barrels by himself, etc, reducing his overall rate of fire).

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Enentol posted:

In all of the games of BA I've played so far, I'm really not impressed with mortars.
I don't know how BA handles them, but in Chain of Command mortars are nasty. Light mortars don't usually do a whole lot of damage, but are great for laying down a smoke screen. But good gods, a mortar barrage is brutal. It tends not to inflict a huge number of casualties, but completely blocks LOS and pins any infantry in an 18" x 18" square. This is pretty accurate historically in that by far the most important effect of a mortar barrage was to keep the enemies' heads down to allow you to maneuver.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

Was going to ask about the R20 CoC game again but would it be best to have a game room for that? I'm free evenings all week now.
Oooh, yeah, how do we do this?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

secretly a baby posted:

Does anyone have any experience with playing 2v2 battles in CoC? Do the rules hold up or does it become unbalanced?
The rules hold up extremely well. Download the "Big Chain of Command" supplement (for free) from the TFL website, it covers everything you'll need to know. It also gives you the tools to do Armored Platoons as well as Infantry Platoons. Our Kasserine Pass campaign was designed to support multiple platoons (from differing nations) on each side. So far we've just played the first mission with 1 each (despondent Italians vs green Americans - it was comedy gold), but the next one will likely see the Germans and either the Brits or the French entering the fray as well.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Thin (narrow) strips of paper or lightweight cardstock work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

golden bubble posted:

To be fair, the Stuart can absolutely penetrate the Panther's side and rear armor. But its only chance in a realistic head-on-head engagement is to hope the Panther crew is green enough to panic after a hit. Does CoC take crew experience into account with its opposed dice pools?
Crew experience mostly comes into play when you're talking about the morale effects of what happens after the hit - green crews freak out and reverse gears (or just bail out of the tank) much more readily than experienced crews.

In terms of armor vs penetration of the scenario you described (Stuart vs Panther), according to the Consolidated Arsenal List the Armor Value of a Panther is an 11 and the AP of a Stuart is 5. When rolling to check for penetration, you roll a number of dice equal to your AP Value (5 dice in the Stuart's case), with a 5+ being a pen result against the forward armor, a 4+ being a penetration against side armor, and a 3+ being a penetration against the rear armor. The target tank then rolls a number of dice equal to its Armor Value, with each 5+ being a "save." You compare the number of dice that penetrate vs the number that save, with more dire results the more the penetration score beats the save score (equal or more yields a result).

Statistically speaking, the Panther is going to generate a hair under 4 "saves," whereas the Stuart is going to generate just under 2 penetrations from the front, 2.5 from the side, and 3.3 from the rear. A lucky roll for the Stuart (especially against the side or rear armor) versus an unlucky roll from the Panther can absolutely result in a penetrating hit, though. Achieving an outright kill is hard (you need at least three net penetration dice after saves), but scoring a mission kill (i.e. taking out the main gun, wounding or killing the commander, putting enough shock on the crew that they bail out, etc) is easier. So is stacking on shock that reduces the Panther's ability to move or return fire as effectively.

And by the time you step up to a basic Sherman (AP Value of 7), you're looking at having an almost even chance to tie when hitting the Panther's side armor and a pretty good chance of beating it from the rear.