Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How about a terrible name like "honourable houses".

For the OP, I've just found out that Ambush Alley Games has actually discontinued Ambush Alley, it's been folded into their new game "Force on Force" which is expanded to cover non-asymmetrical battles.

And if you snag it with their Tomorrow's War pre-order you can get the stripped down PDF of Force on Force for only $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

moths posted:

Can someone tell me how flexible Ambush Alley is? How much massaging would the system take to do Wild West or Roaring 20's mob wars? Or sci-fi stuff like dinosaurs vs SWAT teams?

It'd easily cover most gun fight scenarios, but while it does have melee rules it's not really based around giant monsters vs squad.

Edit: That's going off Force on Force, which has vehicle rules which might fit?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Flying Guillotine posted:

Just picked up the rulebook to Force on Force and Tomorrow's War, based on the recommendations in this thread.

You goons better not let me down! :argh:

Those games are great! What models are you going to be using?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Serotonin posted:

I think this is possibly their best to date. The book (and tablet enabled PDF) is fantastic and the rules look a whole lot of fun. The whole system is based around a campaign system thats so simple Im shocked no one has thought of it before. Its nice to see a game designed like that as opposed to tacking on a campaign system- the only other game I can think of that handles a campaign as well as is Maurice and thats more of a round robin tournament than a true narrative campaign.

Is it the kind of system you could tack onto another if for some crazy reason you aren't that interested in the time frame?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Love those craters! Fully painted armies + boards are always a delight to see.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What do I have to roll to make Ferdinand take someone competent with him?

Been instructed I should turn my 2010 Flames of War starter into an actual starting point for the game. This is annoying, because Russians are the most interesting army to me, other than maybe a joke Australian list (is that even a thing?)

There are other historical systems that seem more interesting, but this is one has a bit of a community around here, so some starting advice would be great.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why settle for inferior German machinery?

Alright, you've all pointed out how I'm not in a bad spot like I thought. Would grabbing the new starter be a good next step? I hear it comes with way more infantry and tanks than the one I got.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Everything does under the mighty IS-2's tread! :ussr:

Numlock posted:

I would probably skip it unless you want a rule book real bad right now. Other than the 6 shermans it comes with it there isn't really anything for soviets in there. BF did however just release a new plastic sherman box set. These are not the open fire shermans and they look sweet.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=4384 Once again not the exact right sherman for lend lease but also nobody will care.

You can also order the paper-back rule book (It is the full rule book) separately now, its 15 bucks.

Hmm, might go to flgs and have a poke about. Get some infantry stands and T-34-85's.

Also I should point out that I loving love mechanised/motorised armies, foot slogging is never not dumb. Is this something the Russians can do reasonably effectively?

Edit: No luck on the stands, bought the starter set, t-34 company and some trucks. Friend has told me he's interested in the German and Allied forces, but might have to keep some Germans to run as Spetsnaz.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 8, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Serotonin posted:

Im going to have to buy the Colonial Supplemnent too.

And to further divert the chat away from 40KWW2 Im equally excited for this.

Some of us have to ease in with gateway drugs :argh: My bad for making the thread all about me and my wants.

I do intend to subvert all the local FOW groups into I Ain't Been Shot Mum instead.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 9, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Serotonin is being a curmudgeon, you can chat about Flames of War all you want.

If Serotonin wants to sass, I will sass right back.

This is all his fault with his constant talking about awesome looking historical games.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wayland are slow and not exactly truthful about their current stock.

Numlock posted:

If they haven't already converted to Bolt Action (happened to a few groups in my area for various reasons) then you will have better luck selling halal pork.

Not a tact I feel like trying around Queenslanders.

Reading through a borrowed Eastern Front; Motor Rifle so far looks the most intriguing.

Anyone able to offer any experience of SMGs vs Rifle platoons?

And where a battlescribe repo might be found?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Speaking of online sites, where are people getting their 15mm soviets from lately? Extra points for Australian sites. I know combat company and milsims already.

Already know about Plastic Soldier company and definitely going to grab two of their summer soldier boxes.

Also, does anyone have any advice for what anti-tank fow mid-war soviets should take?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'll check them out!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and keep it in mind as I build up Motostrelkovy. So a core of something like?:

code:
		HQ 

2x Motostrelkovy companies
	2 motor rifle platoons

Machine-Gun Company
	2 platoons

2x Medium Tankovy Company
	5 T-34s

Artillery Battalion
	8x ZIS-3
Also some rocket artillery eventually because Katyusha's and Calliope's et al are some of my favourite WW2 units.

Could easily bump up to 3 platoons per company, too.

Just have to be sure of what point level is the main limit around here, the mate who's getting me into this said 1500, and I'm well under with that.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Not 3 of 2? Totally new so curious as to reasons.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Ah right right right.

I may move from Moto-Strelk thanks to this advice, much as I love mechanized forces they're not really doable in the period, certainly not as I'm starting out.

I'll definitely bump up to guards and look into more tanks.

I added the mg platoons because I thought they'd be decent anti-groups, or is that better accomplished with real artillery/mortars?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

When I started, I went all infantry, and then later went all tank, and in the end I've found that a mix is really the key. I run motostrelkovy for that reason.

Infantry, once dug in, are nearly impossible to root out with anything other than infantry. But you need firepower too which is why having a bunch of armor is useful.

I see. Combined arms sure seems like the way to go.

Holy poo poo though, two lots of guard three company rifle platoons and a single 10 t-34 company is 1500 already.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Crossfire sounds interesting and I love reading about worldwide campaigns.

Got a demo game of FoW the other day, just partial starter set stuff to get an overview of rules. I dig it.

Not diggable was my mate telling me how yes, he was going to model after a specific division, an SS one. But it's ok because the frontline SS divisions weren't all bad...

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Serotonin posted:

See guys, its not all ww2? ;)

I MET SOMEONE WHO BROUGHT UP SAGA TODAY WHEN THEY SAW MY FOW STARTER SET AND SHE PLAYS PICTS AND I WAS ALL 'OH MY GOD I WILL PLAY THAT WITH YOU'

Meanwhile I assembled 10 tanks today. Feels good man.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Plastic Soldier Company's still pretty cheap.

Inflation seems to hit the hobby industry in such a scatter shot way.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
You could do a lot worse than Guerilla Miniatures Games for your batreps.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

^ Oh sure just link some of the best BatRep channels on YT. No problem, I'm just a dude with some chipboard and a spare room so maybe expectations should be set a little lower? :)

Illumination is going to be a big issue I think - making some videos about playing music and so on is very easy to underestimate how bright the environs are for people creating video content. I can only imagine it would be even more important for 6mm since the objects are so small.

- End of turn summaries are a no-go by default, I hate that.
- With a tripod I'm likely to include movement, and important dice rolls.

Yeah totally, don't mean to drive by and poo poo on your idea. Though for all their production values, it's still mostly a dude hand holding a camera.

Lighting is a jerk, because your eye is way more sensitive than most cameras. Use your tripod to get a good overview, and cut to any fun moments, cool charges or shots and such.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Odd no one's made their own CoC rules streamline.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So what games don't do hosed up soviets, or do I need to learn russian?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
CoC is something I'm very keen to try, are there intro rules anywhere? In Bolt Action good for that sort of platoon level as well?

To be 100% honest my dad's twisting my arm on this, he's stumbled upon Ali express' cheap 'lego' dudes and wants to have a lot of battles in and around our many many pieces.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Viking Mud Wrestling has a few more versions to go?

Arquinsiel posted:

I play it. Usually about once a year or so we'll get out one of the sourcebooks and run a few scenarios from it for a few weeks in a row. Occasionally we'll come up with silly broken scenarios of our own, or we'll play Tomorrow's War with whatever sci-fi mans are handy either.

I've done that when I can't be bothered to remember how 40k's rules work. The special forces vs mobs has been cool to bring a few friends beyond fantasy/sci fi gaming.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The Bolt Action Sea Lion campaign sign up site is up.

http://campaign.boltaction.com/

:getin:

The attacker/defender bennies seem way tilted for casual play, fukkin 40% more points and an extra tank and poo poo for defenders in some territories but w/e should still be fun.

E Company 506th PTR 101st abn div is ready to airdrop into Occupied Great Britain and liberate our allies. :911:

Hellllllll yeah global campaign.

Won't the bonuses change and modify as more territories are taken over?

Edit: CoC question; how do I tell what MG's an armoured vehicle should have, like a Stug III for example?

Cassa fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 19, 2017

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

All MGs fired from inside the vehicle roll six dice with no modifiers. MGs fired from the roof are top-mounted MMGs and roll 10 dice.

Cool, so just go off the model essentially?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So is there a consolidated post somewhere that lists where you can get different era's of CoC army lists from? My dad's set on late war american/british advances so probably something like that?

So much for having the best tanks, RIP T-34 spam

Geisladisk posted:

The Consolidated Arsenal is a community project to rework inaccurate stats, and to add stats for vehicles that COC lacks rules for. It lists the MGs on each vehicle in a more coherent manner.

Very cool!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

The platoons in the COC rulebook are all late war, so they fit your needs perfectly.That rule is there purely because COC is written by a couple of Englishmen, and they consider it their solemn duty to queen and country to take a crack at the Americans whenever possible.

I appreciate you!

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, people keep asking TFL to release a sourcebook with the new army lists and the updated old ones (the book has several errors), but last I checked the answer was no.

It would be super useful, I grabbed the 2017 summer special as it seemed to have a fair amount of CoC stuff, and it mentions a few forces in generalities. Which isn't really that good and turns out searching 'Chain of Command Royal Marines' isn't that effective.

Just feels a little impenetrable with lots of expected knowledge.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That link is great, thanks!

And no, for the most part we'll probably start with a German Panzergrenadier Platoon vs a British Infantry Platoon or Soviet Rifle Platoon.

It's just the Bridge at Saindoux mission looked fun, and having an obvious objective would be good to start with, but the Patrol mission works just as well.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That square looks really good.

I got to play Chain of Command today, just some basic stuff, and probably made a huge amount of mistakes, but I liked it in practice, super elegant.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

Crossposting from the mini thread, here's a big, ugly hunk of metal as counterpoint to your flamboyant fancy men.

Prettiest thing on the page, IMO.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What makes you think NORTHAG will avoid these pitfalls?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'm just interested in hearing about the narrative stuff tbh. Edit: Whoops thought this was the infinity thread.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 26, 2018

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I really wanna see some other Devs apply it to other games, the initiative system is great.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why're those hinds so big? Because they're 'higher up'?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What do I roll to be haunted by a past war General?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Just gonna crosspost from Infinity.

So I'm looking for Marauder box replacements, I dig the official models but I don't wanna fill out a link team by scouring eBay and I prefer the Spetsnaz look over the heavy armoured plate. As such I've been looking at Spectre Miniatures' line of stuff, particularly their GRU Spetsnaz.

Since the unique shield guy is impossible to find on ebay for less than 400% markup, definitely getting this fellow at least.

I was curious if people had any other good suggestions for 28mm semi-modern special forces miniatures. I was looking at Eureka Miniatures as I'm based in Aus too, but I like pictures of things when I'm spending my money.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Springfield Fatts posted:

Hasslefree Minis has a pretty good line, including some more characterful choices and they also sell just bodies so mixing it in with Infinity could be easier with a head swap. There's also The Assault Group whose line is pretty extensive. I also see Empress Miniatures mentioned a lot.

NORTHAG chat: I just want to chime in again and say that the playtest rules are completely free and available right now if you're sick of waiting.

Arquinsiel posted:

The dudes who make Skirmush Sangin have some 90's Delta Force that are great, and probably other more recent stuff too if you check their site.

Thanks for both of these, lesson being move to the UK for cool modern miniatures hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wandered down to Briscon today, saw a fair few games of Bolt Action, 1000 points looked like a fairly manageable amount. Also saw some wings of glory on a huge table which was great. Little bit of Tango Yankee for sale too.

But coolest thing for me was seeing a bunch of Wartime Miniatures' really cool 28mm modern miniatures for sale.