Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Black Powder is pretty explicitly "yeah we just put together this rule system we like for playing narrative games, house rule the poo poo out of it if you want" so I imagine Hail Caesar will be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I ordered Force on Force and the Iraq book based on this thread's recommendation. I hope they're good.

I don't know what kind of models to use, though. Do people generally use stuff like Peter Pig's 15mm moderns? Since I'm planning to just do Ambush Alley style games I'd kinda like to go 28mm, assuming I don't need more than like 15-20 models a side.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 12, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Oxford Comma posted:

I just finished reading the rules last night. It looks really awesome. I like that its not a "you move then I move" kind of game. Instead, you move, and my unit that saw you move can take a shot at you! But your unit on Overwatch that spied my unit react can fire upon it. Plus the Fog of War cards are really interesting.

I can see this rule set being used for WW2 just as easily as modern, as well.

It's pretty cool with sci-fi too, I can't wait for Tomorrow's War to come out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Speaking of Napoleonics, someone recommend me some 15/18mm minis! I'm probably going to end up playing Napoleon at War, but the minis you can buy from Man at War, while really nice looking, seem super expensive.

edit: actually, comparing prices, it looks like it's 67 bucks for 114 tiny men from man at war, vs 25-30 for about 40 men from AB minis, so it breaks down to be a better deal.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 26, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have black powder, but everyone plays Lasalle or Napoleon at War now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The best thing you can say about wargames factory is that their stuff is dirt cheap if you get it during one of their sales. I've got some of their celts, orcs, and saxons, all purchased at around 10 bucks a box.

They've worked fine for making minis for use during Dungeons and Dragons, and I've converted a bunch into post-apocalyptic barbarians, but I would never, ever make an entire army out of them, if I wanted it to look halfway decent.

edit: the worst part about their models is that you have to glue the weapons into the hands of a lot of their newer releases, and they never loving sit flush so it's all swords and bows and poo poo at awkward looking angles.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 14, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Serotonin posted:

Also Im confused at Numlocks attitude when it comes to the bit about scenarios and army lists and 'I dont want to become an amateur historian'. Surely that's a large part of the fun of historical gaming? Why bother playing historical wargames if you aren't interested in the history, the army orders of battle/TOE's, the campaigns/battles (even if its a what if) etc? You might as well be playing 40k/WFB/Warmaching (this ain't a criticism of those systems before anyone gets upset).

Some people just want to shoot nazis or push tanks around or whatever and don't really care about what actually happened in a given battle. They're interested in something like Flames of War because they liked the Call of Duty games or Band of Brothers or whatever and it's an alternative to what they normally play.

A lot of this comes down to gaming culture wherever you play, I think. I was introduced to historicals through Flames of War pickup games, and having X point armies was the easiest way to find a quick game on minis night at the local store when you want to play something besides 40k.

Now that I've found some other people with interests in stuff like Napoleonics, that's changing a bit, but that's all because I met people that were basically part of a group within the larger pool of gamers. Until you jump past that social gap (for lack of a better term), it's just a lot easier to find games when you know that everyone's going to have an army that conforms to some sort of standard that you can just throw on the table and have a go with no fuss.

I don't really think one (points v scenarios) is better than the other, or that people should make arguments to claim one is. They scratch different itches and appeal to different types of people.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If they can't do an annual price increase on it, GW has no interest in it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Herr Tog posted:

Danke. Those can be 15mm ya?

They can all be pretty much whatever scale you want.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cold War Commander 2 is coming out... someday. It's being worked on.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sprue flash aside, I had a set of Zocchi dice that I hated because they have no weight to them at all. They're the most unsatisfying dice I've ever rolled.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jugula seems incredibly cool. Has anyone here gotten games in? I'm curious how the Career Mode works out in practice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Flippycunt posted:

Speaking of sprues, I need about twenty 28mm French Napoleonic heads. Anyone have any suggestions on where I might find something like that?

You could buy a box of victrix plastic infantry and get a shitload, since they don't seem to sell individual sprues anymore.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

YF19pilot posted:

Probably felt the interest for it wouldn't have been there. They're already having to fight the perception that it'll all be Western Front trench lines and stagnate infantry warfare, and thus, no fun.

I was going to make a joke about how many platoons I need to run pointlessly into machine gun fire per turn, so yeah.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Roll 3d6 to determine the number of models killed by mustard gas in the chemical attack phase.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Serotonin posted:

Americans in this thread seem constantly amazed that the UK has a postal service.

I'm genuinely impressed by its speed, a lot of orders from Mantic will get to my house faster than some things I order from places that aren't an entire ocean away.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ensign Expendable posted:

KV-5 mid-war makes no sense, even the KV-1 was found to be too heavy and hard to make in the early war.

As opposed to all the other Flames of War rules that make sense w.r.t. historical realism

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is Team Yankee any good? Moderns seem cool but I'm not really interested if it's just Flames of War with different statlines and a couple different special rules.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like Force on Force as well, but it's tough to find a print copy these days.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BeigeJacket posted:

2nd edition of Bolt Action has just been announced. Also a weird war 2 game.

http://www.warlordgames.com/announc..._eid=5eafd5a5a8

LOL, I was literally going to the local store to pick up the rules today. Guess I'll just grab an army book or something instead.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Endman posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I view anyone whose first choice for a WW2 army is Waffen SS as pretty fuckin sketchy.

Same. TBH whenever I do Historicals I have to remind myself that the couple of dudes at the shop who are really into the nazi aesthetic are the avoidable outliers and most of the people with those armies just like their rules the best or think they have cool tanks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Are we posting our starter army purchases?

US Army HQ (Winter)
US Army Forward Observer Team (Winter)

4x US Army Infantry Squad in Winter Clothing
US Army Bazooka and Sniper Teams (Winter)
US Army Flamethrower and Light Mortar Teams (Winter)
US Army Medium Mortar (Winter)

M8/M20 Greyhound Scout Car (Plastic Box)
M24 Chafee, Light US Tank
M4 Sherman, Medium US Tank

Ran me $150 shipped. Gonna play all the Bolt Action and Chain of Command, all of it.

I think I'm going to model them as the 9th Armored Division but IDK yet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ilor posted:

Dear Historicals thread,

This past weekend, someone who I thought was my "friend" introduced me to Chain of Command. Now, for the first time in my life I'm idly browsing for WWII minis and contemplating giving Too Fat Lardies some of my hard-earned money.

Is it already too late for me?

There's never been a better time to get into historicals IMO, there's a wealth of insanely good models out there. RIP your wallet and free time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm kinda cautious the fact that it includes free shipping internationally means this Kickstarter is not well planned - postage cost delta between US, UK and :australia: is pretty significant.

Still, 50 bucks!

Between this, the ambition in making all this poo poo and them being a new company I'm waiting for retail. Looks like a cool game though!

Edit: I don't think the shipping is free, but I still avoid first-time kickstarters.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 21, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have been reading over the Sharp Practice 2 book, and only the War Store being out of stock of plastic Perry Brothers AWI guys has slowed my fall down a dangerous grog hole.

Who knew reading about uniforms could be so good! :hist101:

If you like that, have I got something for you *opens trenchcoat, books fall out*

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

YF19pilot posted:

So, with us being on the eve of a new Oath thread, and me getting the itch again; what is a good game system to pick up again? I will be visiting the US soon, but I don't think I'll be bringing all of my Flames stuff back with me. Preferably something small (I've been thinking of picking up something for CoC or BA), and mostly with the idea of making two armies so I can con people into playing the games. Though I might try to stick to 28mm/1:56 if I do, just for compatibility sake.

Though all this talk of black powder era and fancy uniforms is making Sharp Practice tempting...

You can do CoC and BA at the same time, which is nice. I don't know if Sharp Practice shares a basing method with any other games, since Black Powder is the only one I've seen played and it uses multi-man basing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

muggins posted:

I have four boxes of Perry Bros acw on the way. Gonna figure out how to base them individually for Sharpe Practice but also use trays for Black Powder.

All the lardies blog posts have them on little trays with cutouts for bases, they look like the litko rank trays: http://www.litko.net/products/Rank-Trays%2C-Multiple-Formations%2C-20mm-Circle-Bases.html

I don't know if those are the correct frontage for Black Powder, though

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I would rather my games compromise on strict historical accuracy to get better gameplay, but the problem is, from what I can tell, that Flames of War does this rather poorly.

Bolt Action has some silly rules for the Soviets, but they don't actively penalize the army so it's not as big of a deal.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

About how many models a side do sharp practice games use? Would 2 boxes of Perry Infantry a side and a Warlord Field Artillery box work? That'd give each side like 70 dudes, a cannon and a Cavalry commander.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Serotonin posted:

Let me know what theatre/ period and I will post the core army you need

I was just going to do AWI, I didn't even notice I forgot to mention that. Probably the Philadelphia campaign of 77-78 if that matters.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Paintbrush in one hand, Battle Cry of Freedom in the other

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

I stand corrected, hadn't realized the AWI guys were still available and now I'm about to get poor.

e: Wait it looks like you can only order a handful of WGF's oldest sprues.

e2 DOop they just reboxed most of it.

Ha, I was just squinting at google images trying to figure out if they reboxed them or if I was going insane.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Wargames Factory soviets are still available in a few places in the US, but the pickings are getting slim:

http://dreamforge-games.com/collections/wargames-factory-products/products/wgf-w2003-wwii-russian-infantry-28mm

http://hoardobits.com/cgi/hob/shop.pl?cat1=Bits&cat2=Wargames%20Factory%20Bits&cat3=-Russian%20Infantry&cat4=&page=&view=08212013-1-22

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are there any trap-units in BA as a russkie?

MMGs are pretty overcosted, but that's an across the board truism for Bolt Action. Just remember that your free inexperienced squad gets all of its options and is still free, so give them all grenades and throw them at a tank.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Otisburg posted:

BA doesn't really lock you too much into groggy early-mid-late war TO&E for list building, right? It's pretty much ?

Yeah, they don't care.

Take a bunch of flamethrowers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If I used to play DUST and have a full german army for that game how much more stuff do I have to buy to play K47?

Assuming you have proxies for all the models, you'd just need the Bolt Action dice or one of the charts that tells you what each side on a D6 corresponds to. Some stuff to use for pin markers and other status tokens, but that's optional, you can keep track of pins with more dice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ExtraNoise posted:

So a friend and I are thinking about making the leap into Bolt Action. However, I just found out today that BA2 is coming out soon. If we got a BA starter set, would we be throwing our money away or will it be compatible with BA2?

The models will be compatible, the rules are changing to some extent but they'll be broadly the same, so you'd be fine to start learning how to play.

Honestly, I'd just wait the 3 or 4 weeks for the new starter set to come out so you don't have to get a new rulebook.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

Funny, because I think the exact opposite. If a game is open for generic list, you can make exactly the force you want. For example, I made a platoon from the 4th Gebirgsjäger division for our CoC campaign, since I could simply check the OoB for them, and then make a force that roughly represented it.

So yeah, why could you not make the Devil's Brigade?

I prefer the BA approach too, because I get to model whatever unit I want and I don't have to worry that they have some special rule that makes them overpowered or garbage.

You'd probably just run the Devil's Brigade as an american army made up of paratrooper and/or ranger squads and use a mix of the new paratrooper plastics and the british commando plastics

Or buy these: http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=15&cat=151&page=1

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 19, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just put together a M24 Chaffee for Bolt Action and I think I need to stick to plastic tanks only from now on. Working with the resin was super frustrating and I had to wear a drat mask.

The detail is nice, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The WGF americans look good but keep in mind that you don't get any bazookas or LMGs so you'll need to pick those up later. The box does come with enough BARs to make up your squads, though.

I have 3 boxes of WGF Russian infantry and they're great.

Anecdotally I can confirm that WGF really improved as they went, I have a ton of their Celts and they're not awful, but they're nowhere near as good as the WW2 stuff. YMMV if you're not in the US as I hear their models aren't as ridiculously cheap outside of here.