Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Comstar posted:

They're...really long though. With a lot of pictures. I don't want to overwhelm the thread. If no one minds (check the blog to see the length of it) and someone else asks for it, I'll post it here.

Draw and quarter anyone who complains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

So with my multitudes of army mans coming in and shaping up on the painting table, I might well get to play some Bolt Action in the near future. I can't find an OP write-up in this thread about it, so apart from practicing with my local grogs (which is restricted a lot because of a new infection flare-up here), where can I get some input on understanding the ruleset? The rulebook is, uh, unwieldy, and the erratas are larger than the book now.

Someone did a Bolt Action playthrough not too long ago, lemme see if I can find it again

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926795

by Class Warcraft quoted here

On this page

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Funnily enough, I just checked and BA has a VASSAL module.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

I wonder if it looks better or worse than trying to do it on TTS.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

So about equal, huh? :v:

:shrug:

Never played BA myself, or seen it elsewhere than photos from real games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Class Warcraft posted:

I've been thinking a lot lately about campaign systems and ways to give wargaming battles more context. Looking through my collection of campaign rules that I've gathered I've noticed they tend to fall into two categories: ultra-detailed campaign systems that are almost a wargame of their own on top of the tabletop wargame, and minimalist systems that are really just a way to string together a handful of battles.

What I haven't seen a lot of is more of a middle-ground where there are some interesting choices to make (but doesn't get bogged down in too much fiddly paperwork) and a reasonable campaign length.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask the thread:

1) What campaign systems have you tried and liked?

2) If you were going to participate in a wargaming campaign what would be the most important aspects to you? (Overall length of the campaign, decision-making, amount of detail, etc.)

While not technically campaigns, I suppose, I do very much enjoy the Historical modules for ASL as they generally give a good balance between going for your objectives and saving your men for future scenario dates.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*laughs in ASL*

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lilljonas posted:

As a Lardies player, it's really funny how Chain of Command is made to faithfully recreate tense WW2 tactics, while Sharp Practice is made to faithfully recreate tense Napoleonics tactics as depicted by two boys playing with their Airfix figures on their bedroom floor, going *pew pew pew!* as victory hangs in the balance with both armies' generals in a sabre duel at the top of a bell tower over the hand of the mayor's daughter.

I think Bolt Action has more in common with Sharp Practice in that way.

E: with this post I don't mean it as a negative thing, sometimes you want the faithful recreation, sometimes you want to just go *pew pew pew* and have fun. After all, I like both CoC and SP2.

For any faults Bolt Action might have, its definitely more accessible than the 3,000 odd players of ASL around the world

May not be an accurate count of the total number of living ASL players

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

From what little I know about the historicals community, nerfing a German tank in any way is marketing suicide.

With how many times people complain about nazis in gaming, I have a feeling a company would do extremely well if it marketed itself as being specifically anti-nazi.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

moths posted:

There's nothing fun about not getting to use your toys, but the Tiger's temperamentally is as much part of it as its armor thickness or other attributes.

I mean, half of these games include rules for fictions like the Sherman's self-immolation or a Soviet comissars' morale-boosting fratricide. It's downright suspicious when an unreliable resource-pit like the Tiger or the Me262 shows up in-game and performs incongruously flawless. There's messaging there, intentionally or not, and I consider that a valid concern.

Wait, did Shermans not brew up and did Commissars not kill people ever?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

moths posted:

Comissars killing people happened on-par with other officers and NCOs executing "cowards." A lot of Soviet myths come from debriefed nazis echoing propaganda and our own cold war propaganda.

The Soviet penal units were particularly horrible, but so were everyone else's. A lot of what happened there has been applied to the rest of the red army. So that's where your "one man gets the rifle, one man gets the ammo" and trigger happy comissar tales originated.

Wet stowage of ammo largely fixed the Sherman's issue. They didn't burn any more or less than any other tank after that.

So it happened, right, why is it that you called them "fictions" then?

Is the issue that the Russians/Sherman users get a negative thing when the Germans don't?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Panzer IV had ammo stuffed into every crevice, stored vertically in unarmoured bins. A penetration of the fighting compartment was pretty much a guaranteed ammunition fire. This was never resolved, but for some reason only the Sherman gets a special rule.

Russians/Shermans get a negative thing while the Germans who had the exact same negative thing in greater measure do not.

Right, that poo poo's dumb if the Germans dont get something negative

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Meanwhile cities like Kölln and Berlin were littered with the lynched and rotting corpses of old men and children who deserted

Like how littered? Hundreds? Thousands?

I can't find anything on this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Link,
Link, also try Steven R. Welch, '"Harsh but Just"? German Military Justice in the Second World War: A Comparative Study of the Court Martialling of German and US Deserters', German History, vol. 17 (1999), no. 3, pp. 369-399.

tl;dr - The commonly accepted figure is 15,000 tried and executed for desertion. Given the state of Nazi record keeping and conditions of 1945, it may well have been a much higher number.

Thanks!

Do you know if there's any books published on this or if its just articles?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

I don't know of a monograph offhand.

For a good book on the disastrously awful condition of the German military in 1945 I'll suggest Hitler's Volkssturm: The Nazi Militia and the Fall of Germany, 1944-1945 by Yelton. ($40 on Amazon)

Thanks, will make sure to add it to my reading list.

Edit: Also, just to be clear, I'm not doubting the overblown issue regarding Commissars, and regarding the Sherman and the commonly debunked source of Deathtraps, nor how dumb it is for a game to punish all sides aside from the Germans.

Double edit: Found this to be interesting, but can't delve too deeply into it thanks to it being Russian and it not being easily accessible in english - SMERSH Activities

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 15, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Comstar posted:

So I just become a victim of the algorithm. My wargame blog has been blocked/soon to be deleted because it was reported for violating PHISHING policy. The link i go to then tells me:

My blog was killed by robots.

So...seeing as Google is going to kill my blog for being a human, whats a good platform to have a new blog on? One that does not require any HTML knowledge and I can have blackjack and hookers and not have my memories deleted by a Necron :(. Maybe one that can import my old posts too.

I use blogspot but I don't know if that's part of the Google group that almost killed your blog to begin with.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

Beauties? Beauties? Two separate volumes are labeled “Volume 3”. That’s obscene. :v:

Its okay because they are also books 1 and 2, unlike the other books 1 and 2 on the right.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Those are volumes, can you even read??

What?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lilljonas posted:

When a triology has four books, your editor got creative.

Tell that to Lucas.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

zokie posted:

I feel like the point of doing all that research is also so you can make an informed decision about how to paint your little mans.

Imagine how embarrassing it is to use Russians equipped with British Brown Bess muskets when playing before the Russians had access to those if you do it by mistake?? We have a club member who will never stop hearing about Bessgate.

Using British tanks painted in Caunter camouflage for the battle of Gazala because it is the coolest thing ever, but you know it’s wrong because you bought all of those spiral bound books on British tank camouflage with handmade paint swatches from the author that still accepts payment by mailing cash in an envelope. That’s just a choice to be respected!

This but unironically

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Small aside but a T-34 model 1941 in 1943 is not impossible :shrug:.

The real answer is play what makes you happy and enjoy it for what it is, a game to spend your time on.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
ASL is absolutely a better simulator than any other game known to exist.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

It's a great if you're into reading and remembering rules. I suppose it's an impressive simulation of wargaming.

It has very little to do with WWII infantry combat, but its an impressive achievement in gaming.

How is WW2 infantry combat supposed to go?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

alg posted:

This is a really good summary of why ASL isn't a historical simulation

https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2020/07/farewell-advanced-squad-leader.html

There is command and control in platoon movement, in calling for stuff like banzai charges or human wave attacks.

The article is incorrect about "losing 40-50% of your forces has no impact", there is specifically a chapter about Battlefield Integrity, a thing that calculates your total force value and checks against losses to decrease your ELR, making further breaks and drops in quality much more likely. How someone played the game for decades and forgot about BI is strange. I don't have the two scenarios this guy apparently made, so I can't confirm if he even used BI there.

Every game is based off of a rigid phase system, but ASLs makes sense when talking about laying down suppressing fire before moving, then being shot at, before arriving at your destination and firing in the following phase. How that seems unrealistic, I will never know. Complaints about forgetting to fire smoke is something you can talk to your opponent about, and doesn't matter unless specifically in a tournament setting against a pedant.

quote:

“The frictions of war – chance, bad weather, mistakes and ill fortune – are the only certainties of combat, along with death, injury and destruction........war is a random and bloody business, where the weird geometry of chance has its play and its frictions and human fallibility and fragility abound. Combat is fast moving, confusing and often bewildering. There is no perfect science, only perfect intent that is unlikely to withstand first contact with the prevailing realities on the ground once battle is joined, and the enemy also gets a vote in the outcome."

Chance, bad weather, mistakes, ill fortune - All things that occur on a regular basis when playing ASL, aside from the weather. Play ASL and tell me that your perfect intent continues through to your last move and I'll call you a liar. Everyone gets their fair share of 4 down 2's that absolutely wreak havoc on an attacking group.

There's a specific footnote on the Japanese that talks about the use of snipers and LMGs, although omitting the "concentrated number of knee mortars". Not saying that part is false, but the author didn't check the footnotes either.

There's literally a rule on how to deal with a situation that may not have come up in the rules, or that isn't properly explained. It involves a die roll. This day and age many people go on facebook, discord, or forums to attempt to get a "proper" answer, but apparently the author doesn't know about the rule for it.

The only takeaway I have from that article is that the person struggled to develop scenarios based on written actions, for reasons that are unclear, and that the lack of a Command and Control framework leaves the game woefully adrift in a sea of better "simulation games". I disagree with his statements.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Squad Leader pushed in the opposite direction. It was all about the FEEL of infantry combat. It was intended to give players the impression that they were making moves and decisions that a unit leader would make. Take a look at one of the maps:

If you enjoy it, great. Have fun. But if you think it is simulating anything beyond big broad stroke ideas like “having cover is better than not having cover,” you’re mistaken.

Ok but what does an "actual simulation" game look like. When you play a scenario of Tobruk and it comes out in written form of a turn, what does that look like, and what does that text look like versus ASLs turn breakdown?

Cessna posted:

The problem here is that ASL makes things that were crucial decisions for a unit leader and turns them over to dice rolls and random chance. I realize that real combat is very much driven by chance and happenings outside of a unit commander's control, and his ability to react to it is what makes the difference between his and his men's living or dying. But ASL is a GAME, and way, way too much of it is left to chance - including far too many things that should not be.

For example, ASL models ammo usage in a random manner - which is, pardon my language, bullshit. The example counter in the upper right has a “Low Ammo Breakdown” number:

A better version of what you posted.

A die roll is not a good simulation of anything except a die roll; using total randomization as a representation of the things a commander/player can control is sloppy game design. It leads to two very bad effects: it heavily and unjustly penalizes a player who has bad luck for things a real commander would know about and control, and it takes the "flow" of the game out of the hands of the players and gives it to the dice.

Say you're a tank platoon commander and you start a battle (scenario) with tanks that are have a limited supply of ammunition.

First and foremost, only you should know the state of your ammo but your enemy should not. In ASL both players can figure the rough odds of any unit running out of ammo. But in reality there's no way an enemy can look into your tanks and check your ammo. In ASL, if your tank runs out of ammo, both you and your opponent know it instantly. Real combat doesn't work like that. A real tank is going to try very hard to look like it's in fighting shape - it might withdraw when it's low or out of ammo, but then again it could withdraw anyway; an enemy won't KNOW it is pulling back because it's out of shells. And it might just save one last main-gun round for a "surprise" for the enemy. There’s no little flag that pops up announcing “hey, this tank is empty!”

Second, a real platoon leader is going make a decision beforehand to divide up your ammo where it is needed. If you've got a tank that you know is going to be in the thick of things - seizing an objective, springing an ambush - you are drat well going to make sure that tank does not run out of shells after the first shot. You're going to make your tankers portion out their ammo accordingly. ASL just doesn't deal with this. If your most important tank rolls badly on its first shot, it's empty, too bad.

Equally, tanks that have very limited ammo capacity can - if the dice favor them - shoot indefinitely. An SU-152 carried at most 20 rounds of Main Gun ammo; in ASL it can shoot until it misses a roll. That's just as silly.

Now, again, ASL is trying to convey a “feel.” “My tanks have limited ammo.” That’s great, especially as they do so without a lot of record keeping. But again, the problem is that the implications here (you know instantly when an enemy tank runs out of ammo) aren’t realistic at all. And this sort of thing carries through seemingly everywhere in the design, but it tries to pass itself off as realistic.

That's a real problem with ASL. It's an ornate mess - built on an abstract, slipshod system – trying to look like it’s realistic.

What crucial decisions are we talking about here? Is the crucial decision of Leader Direction down to dice rolls and random chance? Are we talking about rallying squads?

Why is it sloppy game design to portray chance or bad luck when that's something that an earlier poster's referenced criticism claims is a real part of combat? How do you achieve any sort of simulation beyond "everyone is completely rested, healthy, and topped up on supplies" if running out of shells is a side-effect of life, or the gamefication of life? The ammo depletion is specifically for special ammo, not regular stuff. That's why you never roll depletion on, say, AP shells for a Panther tank, or HE shells for an SU-76.

What is the basis for, say, an urban tank scenario and one tank "withdraws to look like it might be faking out its opponent"; how does one "accurately" represent that if not by way playing it with those random chance events? Why not fix the issue with the Fog of War knowledge by making hidden rolls or having trust in your opponent to not dick you over on that? The idea of knowing something on the battlefield vs not knowing something is strange when we're creating scenarios out of whole cloth as well. For example, should you know what exists in a giving portion of the map after the sole unit in that area explodes into bits? Obviously the answer to fix that problem would include fog of war, but does that mean that ASL isn't a simulation?

Rate of Fire is also under scrutiny? Are there any other games that include that concept? Would it be unrealistically to not allow for multiple shots? Could the argument not be that a good crew would fire rounds faster within a shorter period of time? Also, no, the SU-152 doesn't have Rate of Fire. Plenty of Tanks/Guns don't get Rate of Fire, and so don't get to "shoot indefinitely".

Again, "basic" ammo doesn't run out, ever, unless you're specifically running an SSR for Low Ammo, and even then that seems to me like "There is a specific scenario where this did occur, and we came up with a rule to accommodate that rather than making all units check for limited ammunition."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

I’m not saying Tobruk is an “accurate simulation.”

Like was said above, every game makes compromises, and they often go in different directions. I mentioned Tobruk as a useful contemporary counter-example to Squad LeaderTobruk tended towards making the game more “strictly math-y” while Squad Leader went more towards “holistic feel.” Either approach has advantages and disadvantages. ASL is not somehow superior here, it’s just using a different set of wonky assumptions.

I don’t think it’s really possible to accurately simulate the decisions a small unit leader like an infantry platoon commander makes in a tabletop wargame. There are just too many limitations, the environment is too different, etc. This doesn’t mean that tabletop games are bad, or that we shouldn’t have fun playing them, or that they’re a waste of time or anything like that. Lord knows I’ve spent way, way, way too many hours playing wargames. But recognize them for what they are – a game that broadly emulates some select and curated aspects of small unit warfare in WWII, no more.

I cited the example of a tank platoon commander deciding how to distribute ammo among the tanks in his platoon. That’s a platoon commander’s job at a very basic level – to say, for example, “we’re low on sabot [or whatever], so make sure A23 has at least 10 in the racks.” That’s the sort of thing that is NEVER left up to random chance. But in ASL it is ONLY handled through random chance.

Because, like I said, it takes “things that were crucial decisions for a unit leader and turns them over to dice rolls and random chance.” Distribution of ammo is just an example, and there are many, many more baked into the ASL rules at a foundational level.

And a tank platoon commander would be even more cognizant of where the few “special ammo” shells are distributed within his platoon.

For what it’s worth, I entirely agree that “fog of war” is a necessary part of any wargame that purports to be any sort of simulation. Personally, my solution to this is to play with a referee who limits the information that is available to each player. (I can tell of a really good Vietnam game I played once if you like.) (Often computers are used fill this role in sims, but that’s a different topic.)

I understand that it isn’t always possible to get a third player. But, that said, I think you get a far more interesting game with a referee than you do without.

No, I cited the SU-152 as an example of an AFV with very limited ammo capacity. If it can only carry 21 rounds total, is it realistic for it to fire more if it gets good dice rolls?

Ok, but I'm asking about what DOES count in terms of a "simulation" and what are the random die rolls or checks in its place.

Saying a tank commander knows what his platoon has if fine and well, but it abstracts or omits what happens before a fight, getting to said fight. What if the action mentions that the group is ad-hoc with the implication that they don't necessarily have special ammo? I'm trying to get to roots to understand if ASL applies or not. Which still doesn't tackle the issue of an infantry commander versus a tank commander.

quote:

No, I cited the SU-152 as an example of an AFV with very limited ammo capacity. If it can only carry 21 rounds total, is it realistic for it to fire more if it gets good dice rolls?

I'm stating, from a definitive point of view, grounded specifically in the rules of the game, that tanks or guns that have ammunition that weighs a ton, or have cramped turrets, or simply low rates of fire, specifically will not have rate of fire, in order to remain within that realistic scale.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So random ammo chance is substituted for random ammo chance?

Cessna posted:

That sort of decision-making lines up with the accounts of WWII carrier warfare I’ve read. In contrast, I’ve NEVER read of an infantry commander saying “don’t take cover in this house, boys, some of you may get killed but there’s a good chance that your Advancing Fire will be worthless!”

I have no clue what this means in the context of ASL. Are you arguing that not taking the cover is better for your Advancing Fire, or that you would should choose cover because Advancing Fire is worthless?

Edit:
Like, the example provided is a bunch of numbers but the context of it implies that a squad may risk advancing towards an enemy position and getting shot at, there type of movement making it riskier to approach the target location. I'm sure there's an infantry leader in the world at the time of World War 2 who's thinking "How many windows does that house have and what kind of movement, or suppressing fire, should we attempt to get at it.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 15, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

I'm arguing that a platoon commander who tells their soldiers to stay exposed to enemy fire and avoid available cover to get a slight hypothetical statistical advantage would be either relieved of command or shot from behind.

So do you think that the like... timeframe of a turn in ASL isn't fluid? That people are just standing in this stop-go board game world?

Edit: I guess I just fundamentally disagree with your view on ASL. Might as well stop making GBS threads up the thread.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 15, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of all the uniform chat recently, can anyone say what colour(s) were worn by Italian tank crews in WW2, preferably in the Italian theatre? (Or at least not Africa. Since it's to go alongside my Alpini)
All I can find are pics of a tanker wearing a blue suit (no idea what period/theatre this is for, or even if it's for an Italian tanker) and references to tan uniforms in Africa, which aren't super helpful to me. I'm not overly concerned about 100% accuracy, but I figure I should probably try to be roughly in the ballpark, if I can help it!

Ive got a couple books on italian uniforms, ill do some digging later tonight if you dont have an acceptable answer by then

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, thanks for the offer! If you don't mind me asking, what are the books called? I actually wouldn't mind checking em out myself sometime, if they're not super rare

Off-hand one would be Handbook on the Italian Army in World War II 1940-1943 but the others would be some mish-mash of Osprey books or whatever I have lying around... I have too many books.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of all the uniform chat recently, can anyone say what colour(s) were worn by Italian tank crews in WW2, preferably in the Italian theatre? (Or at least not Africa. Since it's to go alongside my Alpini)
All I can find are pics of a tanker wearing a blue suit (no idea what period/theatre this is for, or even if it's for an Italian tanker) and references to tan uniforms in Africa, which aren't super helpful to me. I'm not overly concerned about 100% accuracy, but I figure I should probably try to be roughly in the ballpark, if I can help it!

Osprey is surprisingly lacking in thorough definitions and examples of crew uniforms, with no actual space given to that branch in the 5 or so books I checked. The only thing to note was that Anti-Tank units had the option to use tanker or infantry uniforms, but it didn't state if that option existed for certain other branches, and I didn't see anything to really explain the light blue seen above.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

It's a Semovente L40 di 47/32 with the 47 mm gun replaced by a machine gun and radios.

This does not appear to be correct.

All links or information I can find suggests that the L6/40 CR retains the turret, and isn't a further modification of the Semovente L40 da 46/32.

Unless I'm mistaken and the L4/60 isn't a typo or something.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Major Isoor posted:

Ahhh, yes I see - the L40 Carro Commando is on EasyArmy as a separate vehicle, actually - odd that that's separate from the Semovente 47/32 entry, while the L6/40 CR is rolled into the standard L6/40 as an 'optional extra'. OK then, thanks for that guys! I guess I'll need to get a nice aerial hooked up, when I build one.

Also, I'm loving the emblem changes on those Panthers, Geisladisk! :D

This is likely because the L6/40 CR only had extra radios in it, while the L40 had its gun removed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I wanna do an IL2- inspired paint job for a sci-fi mini, are there any good guides on how to do their camo patterns that don't involve an airbrush?

The USSR loved its IL-2s and they got a wide variety of camo jobs, but officially, and modified. They could be plain green just as they could be tri/quad-color patterns. You had summer and winter themes, you had slogans, and there are a variety of things you can do to add some flair to your plane

want it to look like it was repaired? Add a different color to the entire scheme to the part in question - make it look like a replacement part on your car's (bumper)

and even the undersides of the plane are important - Part of a VVS anti-shipping squadron? You might want some blue tones instead of green/dark gray some went with a very light blue, see above, others were more muted, or gray

There's also, iirc, a sort of pre-defined style/form to the camo pattern, similar to the... well everyone

Whether its Spitfires, Jacks, Butcher Birds, or otherwise, they had templates to work off of, so if you enjoy the particular "wave" or shapes one camo does, copy that and simply change up the colors, or add your personal flair to it

Years ago I created a batch of "Swatches" for photoshop that included as many of the "official" colors as I could find. Im sure compression doesn't help, but if you can get somewhere in the order near to those colors, regardless of the variety or lack thereof, you'll be fine paint ages and weathers in the air and on the ground, so 1-1 isn't something to worry about

also if you're adding poo poo like Stars and certain insignia and you want to be more accurate, you have to look up when markings changed over stuff like the large Red Star with Thick White border wasn't always in place or were interchangeable with Red Star and Thin Black border or no border

(the obvious game screenshots are only to illustrate some colour mixes, not real-life camo jobs)

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 2, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Go wild with brushing. You can use masking tape to get good, clean lines, or you can just do it without the assistance. Having a "sloppy" paintjob isn't a bad thing, and not all patterns adhered to strict lines.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

hey just wanted to say thanks for this post!

I noticed one of my images from discord doesn't always load here so here it is again, re-uploaded to imgur.

Compressed colours the Soviets used during WW2, if that helps you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

There were no "photo op only" slogans, if you had them, you're going into battle with them. In addition to your straightforward "For the Motherland" type stuff that was up to an individual unit's discretion, there were also named tanks or tank columns sponsored by individuals or organizations, those had inscriptions determined by the donors. There were dozens of tank columns like these and thousands of tanks, but for every one that's painted up nicely you have ten going into battle with just a tactical number if anything.

Oh yeah? Well explain why you never seen tanks with slogans that weren't photographed!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

spectralent posted:

Everyone keeps complaining about my grey T-34s even though I painted them exactly like the pictures :(

Tell them its because of all the Feldgrau they turned into paste.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Victorious RKKA solves "which Feldgrau is accurate for july of 1942" problem by grinding nazis of all shades into uniform grey.

Uniform already grey :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

Sooo back at painting my OT flame tank, and.. what colour are tracks normally? Track sprockets and chain links? Did they give it all the whitewash/4BO go-over, or would it be more gunmetal?

From memory its usually just natural steel, rubber is black, then add dirt and shine where the track does and doesn't contact the ground

Edit: Unless you're talking about tracks that are affixed to the tank as applique armor. That could be anything from natural steel, to a coat of primer+base coat, to full blown camouflage pattern.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 9, 2022