Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Now if I could just find some Project 7 destroyers....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Crossposting because it's historical-inspired:

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

And speaking of my Armoured Company:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Springfield Fatts posted:

Pretty cool, what are the infantry kitbashes of?

Speaking of Historicals adjacent, the guy who does Turnip28 is launching a KS for some kits to smash into the mud.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/turnip28/turnip28-the-forlorn-hope?fbclid=IwAR3jJeD0gr6iIVyVOta8nG_aCfhpNxAfgQVKwlfrk4OLgZ1JCqiAkVg9Ips

They're Death Korps of Krieg Veteran Guardsmen from Kill Team, with head swaps from Warlord's Soviet Infantry box.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

alg posted:

I just wish the Ladies cared about Sharp Practice as much as CoC. It seems like all they care about is fuckin Arnhem.

Ladies love the CoC, am I right?

(Sorry, I had to capitalize on your typo.)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am making a huge Imperial Guard Army for 40k. Half of it is Krieg and will be in German colors and the other half will be Cadians as us forces. The new cadians have very prominent knee patches so I am painting them up as Paratroopers. The old Cadians I have will be done up as US rifle infantry. That will also make it seem plausible for the difference in sculpts. The benefit is I can play bolt action with this army as well!

I shaved off the kneepads for my Cadian Soviets (though most of them are Kriegers), it was pretty easy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

How do I get a T-34 for my Soviet reenacting?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Only folks live in the North!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

I vaguely remember there being some bullshit in some games about the Soviets doing everything "one step up" and that always applying to everything regardless of what step you were playing at to deny Soviet players fun toys.

Since this isn't that, it's TFL being TFL and bad at editing I guess?

Flames of War definitely did this (and might still).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

And we have! In this very thread!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lenoon posted:

Probably because idiots read German propaganda and filter it through Cold War movies

Absolutely!

And honestly that was a fine excuse 30 loving years ago, but at this point it's just lazy bullshit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's not underrepresented in my groups, but then I'm an AWI reenactor.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Count Thrashula posted:

Black Powder is like any Perry ruleset, where to make it truly shine you have to play with like 200 painted 28mm figures and play on an 8x10 table minimum.

They're okay because they're so popular and it's easier to find opponents, but if I were to really get into them I'd play at half scale or something.

Running it with 10mm you can change measurements to cm (so wherever it says "inch" change it to "cm"), and then run it on a regular-sized gaming table.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

A brilliant article! Gonna pass it around everywhere I can.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Cthulu Carl posted:

Here's possibly a dumb question, but are there any ruleset that cover small-scale, skirmish battles? I'm talking on the scale of Kill Team or Frostgrave/Stargrave - like 10-20 dudes on a side, and on a 3'x3' max table.

That just seems to be the size game that I can get into.

Plenty of them!

Which era are you looking for?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well my favorite is Muskets & Tomahawks, which is (naturally) a skirmish game in the era of muskets. There are supplements for more specific eras (like the AWI).

There's also Sharpe Practice for Napoleonics specifically.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Historicals: The Americans have two CoC points

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Need to make a scenario for What a Cowboy or LotOW where you have to race to save the telegraph lines from being cut by baddies because otherwise no one will be able to order new miniatures.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If they modernized their website that process could actually be automatic. All of the recent Pathfinder poo poo I ordered has my name and email on it, and frankly their webstore sucks rear end compared to many others.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Even in backwards America we do not measure artillery ranges in yards (let alone kiloyards which hurts my brain).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Southern Heel posted:

I think the kiloyard thing is just so they don't have to write x,000 for every single figure, and can then place them in stat cards/etc. which then translate directly to hex distances.

But they could have used metric, which is what real life navies use.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Midwinter Miniatures, who usually does Warham stuff, made a video painting up some Bolt Action minis, and discusses who has to play the Nazis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apOe1XFzcRc

And some of his questions are common but also good, I think he probably could've, like, asked someone who actually plays historicals for info.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Seems weird to me that this would be a hot topic item recently by some peeps in the historicals. Do they not play video games? How wrong has it been for years to play Call of Duty or Battlefield XYZ where you're playing as Germans, or Soviets, or the bad Soviets, or Russians?

I definitely think its worthwhile to take a moment and give some thought about a game you play or why you enjoy "thing" from that game/event/war, but getting bent out of shape because I played Tigers vs IS-1s and everybody died seems like a bit much :shrug:.

Not only does Guy from MWM play videogames, that video is sponsored by World of Warships.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Wasn't there a historical games sculptor who blew their arm off firing a cannon?

Yep! One of the Perry brothers.

But that was a Napoleonic cannon, not a much more modern autoloading tank.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah if I didn't have a garage I probably wouldn't have one, not because of a kid but my idiot dog would poison himself as soon as he was left alone with the machine or access to an opened bottle.

Anyways, here's some ships I'm working on as a gift! Guess what book series the guy likes.

If it were based on the movie, the the Surprise and Rose would be identical

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I can't count how many models I've got with the thinnest possible sword or carefully created chain mail where every link is individually done or whatever. Completely pointless at 28mm, and likely to just cause a print failure anyway.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ah, reverse circumcision

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I absolutely love M&T.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

One of my most memorable reenacting moments was after a rain storm, humid as gently caress, and we were doing street firing. After the first couple of volleys, because of the wet, still air, the smoke just hung in place, and I could see nothing but the British feet and the occasional flash in the smoke.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

spectralent posted:

That's kind of a shame to hear - I haven't actually played battlegroup myself but I've heard it well-spoken-of. It's meant to have a "phases" element where troops come on in play and the strength of forces escalates over time - how did that play out?

Also, segue from that: are Moderns under historical wargames or are they meant to go into indie wargames?

We've talked about Moderns in here aplenty. They're historicals for all intents and purposes anyway.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm starting an AWI/FIW/1812 maybe? project. Lotttts of little raids and skirmishes. Having read through the Musket and Tomahawk rules, I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

I love M&T

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lmao same, I'm doing an AWI project as an xmas gift for my in-law and I'm watching the Patriot and Turn for visual inspiration because goddamn figuring out who looked like what in this ragtag army of terrorists is such a pain in the rear end. Also I don't give a gently caress if they played a minor role, I'm painting cavalry.

I can give you a whole bunch of information if there are units you want to know about.

The Patriot is fine for material culture, but Turn is total rear end and shouldn't be used for anything.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The new WW2 skirmish thing from Studio Tomahawk they keep teasing on Facebook.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ilor posted:

This is another case where they punted from the main rulebook off to the campaign scenarios, largely because the actual function of commissars changed significantly over the course of the war. So whereas in the early war he's essentially the literate dude in the unit who helps you write letters home (and censors them to make sure you're not revealing operational details), in Stalingrad under Stalin's "not one step backward," edict the function of the commissar was a far different beast. Unfortunately it doesn't say that in the main rulebook (though it is explained in the FAQ).

Except not really.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ilor posted:

I mean, this is a direct quote from the CoC FAQ:

"Commissars. The role of the Commissar changed throughout the war and as such the role is not defined in the main rules. However, various interpretations of the Commissars role have been outlined on a number of Army lists and Pint Sized Campaigns. Full and complete details will be covered in the handbooks which will cover the entire war."

And as an example of this, IIRC the Operation Citadel PSC treats commissars as essentially morale officers; they are an extra man in whatever squad they are attached to and count as two men for the purposes of pinning/breaking. I forget how they're handled in the Winter War campaign book.

As for that last bit, I'm still waiting for handbooks to cover the entire war. They're about to release their second (the Far East handbook), so I'm not going to hold my breath.

I understand it's in the game that way, I'm saying that wasn't reality. We've had this discussion many times in this thread, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Studio Tomahawk's V for Victory is coming out in June and I cannot wait!

I love Muskets & Tomahawks, so this is a natural day one buy for me.