Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I know this is the Historicals thread, but I think most of you would be better situated to answer my question. I'm looking at doing 6mm fantasy stuff with some of my friends (mostly first crusades era, but with witches, inquisitors, and dragons and poo poo.) What would be a good system that's easily customizable to account for weird monsters or unit abilities, and is preferably point-based in some manner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Wonderful, thanks!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Two Questions:

1) Is there a 28mm WW2 skirmish/campaign ruleset? (ala Mordheim/Necromunda) I think I remember one being mentioned somewhere.

2) 6mm Thirty Years War rules/miniatures?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

To ogle your jewel-like objects of wonder, of course

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I have yet to find a truly excellent Naval Miniatures game

Same. I've found a couple that seem like they might be interesting, but trying to tread the line between playability and accuracy is difficult. I want to care about the weather gage, but I sure as hell don't want to worry about the tension on the forestay.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I find Oathing is super useful as a motivator to actually _finish_ things. Your mileage may vary, but I say go for it! There's nothing to lose.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Looks like 6mm, and that would line up with Onsluaght. (Onslaught is amazing)

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

http://www.onslaughtmini.com/

They do great 6mm stuff, wonderful proxies for epic

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

JcDent posted:

They have images of their goods and you don't have to mail them money, they're not that bad.

That is such a historical.txt moment right there.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

so, 15mm WW2, is Plastic Soldier Company the way to go?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

am I correct that Chain of Command is really going to work best in 28mm, not 15mm? Looking at breaking into the scene, and trying to find a good balance between aesthetic, playability, and intersection between my existing Infinity/Malifaux terrain. I really like the small scales (have a lot of 6mm stuff) but individual casualty removal has me concerned with 15mm.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

lilljonas posted:

Nah, CoC works in 15mm too, and in some ways I think the distances are easier to get realistic in 15mm. I've seen several people do CoC with 15mm with teams based together, and using small dice (sometimes integrated on the bases) to mark casualties. But there are also those who play CoC in 15mm with individual bases as well.

So if you prefer 15mm, I'd definitely go for it.

Thanks, that's kinda reassuring. I'm hoping someone can weigh in on their experiences with both methods of basing; I don't want to be too fiddly. I have a ton of 25mm plastic bases, so it'd be great to just put 15mm on those, but I don't know if that would play strangely trying to get into buildings and cover and the like. Poking into a new field is always difficult :p

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Thanks for the responses guys. For your basing washers, do people tend towards ~3/4"/20mm there as well?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

In chain of Command, can you take a halftrack and put an AT gun with crew into it, to make one of the armed variants?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Ilor posted:

You can usually just buy the armed variant itself. The Consolidated Arsenal has listing for most of these (e.g. the SdKfz 251/10 with 3.7cm Pak-36, which clocks in at Support List 4). If it doesn't have the variant you want, you can just run the vehicle + gun stats through the CoCulator to get the correct Support List cost.

Great, thanks! Now to figure out what panzergrenadier force I want to build to fight Americans in Normandy. :p

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Super excited, getting ready to start my first 15mm historicals! Anyone have a cool Panzergrenadier force to show off?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

With PSCs' US Tank Company Amy box, can anyone tell me how many infantry sprues are included? I want to make sure that I can build a Chain of Command force from it, but I'm not certain how well it shakes out.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

We're going to play other games eventually too, because I'm weak, but my question is mostly on that "29 riflemen" thing. Looks like they're using the same sprues, and those include BAR gunners and SMGs, and I don't know of those guys are included in the count or not

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Going off literally the only unboxing video I can find, it looks like you get 4 infantry sprues.

https://youtu.be/3cIk-QSaWXs

Thanks, I appreciate it. I think those might be heavy weapons sprues, but it will probably work out

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Just did a bunch of U.S. vehicles in brown Violet myself, looks great

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, I remember reading that the British mixture faded a brighter green than the U.S.one.

I'd say use brown violet for the helmets, and green for the uniforms on the airborne.

What are people's opinions on Battlegroup Overlord?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Is anyone else doing memorial day sales?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I know a guy too, and that guy would be me. :p. Stupid ocean

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Those look very good, what colors did you USSR

Fixed that for you.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Doe anyone know how the PSC 15mm 251/16 conversion kit fits together? The fuel tanks in the back seem to have two choices, but neither really fits well

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Practically welded was better, because damaged plates could be replaced in the field, whereas a damaged cast upper hull was a write off and had to be replaced in its entirety.

Casting was also difficult, expensive, and time consuming compared to welding, which is why it was done in a smaller number of plants, and phased out early. Theoretically cast produces better armour, because it can be harder without going brittle, and generate more angles for potential ricochets, but in practise the pros didn't outweigh the cons.

The M4 and M4A1 (the cast type) were the original types, and had the same gun and the same radial engine normally used in planes. The M4A2 had a diesel engine instead, and was largely used by Russia and the Marines. The M4A3 was the definitive type, had a Ford V8, and underwent the full set of upgrades over time including HVSS suspension, wet ammo rack, the 76mm gun with T23 turret, the Jumbo uparmoured edition, and the 105. The M4A4 had a Chrysler 30 cylinder multibank in a lengthened hull, and was used almost exclusively by the British, where it is best known as the basis for the Sherman V Firefly conversion.

This is such a good post. When I first started looking into the Sherman variant stuff, it took me days of looking around to pierce all this together.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to make a re edit of the Chain of Command rules, would they? I've been struggling through it but keep finding second that don't quite seem to make sense.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think it's part of the really tight focus on "an infantry platoon" that CoC holds. Having a Sherman assigned to the platoon is pretty rad anyway, no one's going to give a squad an entire squad of tanks. I do agree though, I sometimes wish it were slightly larger scale without being a full Company-sized game. I think the Big Chain of Command supplement could help with that issue, although ideally it wants to be a 2v2 scenario.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Cessna posted:

Put a weight inside them; I use fishing weights.

I usually do the same, although I'm not above filling them with rocks and glue

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

Thanks for the offer! I have access to a printer - I was considering printing them, but I don't think these tiny barrels would work all that well printed at 15mm.

Do you have any good stls for Stuarts?

I've used these:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:769137

And you could probably print the turrets without barrels, and just use plastic rod and a drill for barrels.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Is there anything that makes the 2-inch mortar worth a drat? Especially for those Nations which do not have access to smoke. Has there been any thoughts towards a fan edited 1 and a 1/2 Edition? Something to clarify and fix all of the problems

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Historicals: seller apparently goes off the grid once in a while

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I absolutely want this.

Isn't this War Thunder?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

moths posted:

They are! We're using a mix of those and CinC.

I just wish someone did plastic 1/300 or some other alternative to spaghetti barrels.

Brass rod?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I know SA has done fan revisions of rules before, would anyone be willing to clean up the CoC rules? I have only played twice, and I am certain we got half the rules wrong.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, most of my gaming group comes from a way more technically edited background, M:tG and Malifaux. They tend to get stuck on the specifics of what is correct.

Thank you for the responses guys.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

As someone who's done something similar though, you might regret doing so when your models keep falling off their bases, and the dozens of hours you spent installing magnets get minimal use as you stick with the same game system. Just a cautionary anecdote.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

After having my Soviets for nearly a year, I've finally slapped some paint on one of them.

This guy was the test. Now to finish the rest!

I'm loving the stock on the PPSh! Great color, and really stands out against the white in a good way.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think dystopian wars actually was big on this. It was in ~1.5mm scale I believe, and included all the theaters in the same scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

I bought an assorted ancients lot from a dude on Ebay.

I'm pretty sure they're Romans. :|