Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol: this is insanely, fantastically overpriced. Even here, the land of learner licenses and anything with a fairing being worth a billion dollars, that is a 4-5000 bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The nsr definitely would be worth around that much for a minter with the gameboy cartridge ignition, but that's like....a historically significant bike, with lots of racing pedigree (honestly disturbing performance for a 250 if you build them up a little) and that two stroke special something.

The I4's are unique and interesting and unusual, but there's no cachet beyond that. They are a 250 built like a 600SS in a shrink ray and are honestly pretty unpleasant bikes IRL most of the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My pick out of those is the fzr250, the engine is much smoother, the tyres are skinnier and it has the best/most cohesive chassis/motor combination.

The zxr250 predictably has the most power and the most big-bike chassis feel.

The cbr250 predictably is the best built and a solid all-rounder, in as much as such a thing is possible within the given parameters.

The gsxr250 predictably is a terrible shitter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

drat I forgot to follow up on that NSR250R, $19k seems a bit pricey for a bike that I'd imagine is going to be a pain in the rear end to keep running. But it's probably just going to sit in someone's garage and not get ridden at all.

They are super easy and nice to live with in every way except if you need a crank in which case you have a Honda shaped paperweight. Being used as learner bikes before the loophole was closed was the grim end of many an nsr, and probably part of the reason everyone wants so much for them now, but it shows you the day to day reliability is pure Honda.

Wrt mc22's: I could probably track down
running-but-dire examples for ~2k nzd and push one into a shipping container if you really want. The parts are all available and they aren't any more miserable than a normal i4 to work on, if you've got the balls.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 31, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, because there's no notable reasons to have one that aren't crazy expensive racing reasons.

Maybe you could be the first to uncomprehendingly cargo cult them onto a street bike, within a couple of years you'll be able to buy them for $30 on aliexpress. This is the reason you can buy siiiick adjustable levers, rear seats etc that are all bulk-milled out of recycled coke cans somewhere in china - a muppet saw a race bike and decided he must have those parts because there can't be any other reason he sucks at riding, all the other muppets convinced themselves of the same thing, the resultant huge vortex of muppetry stirred up some papers on a desk somewhere in a marketing department and now you can buy KTM badged machined alloy orange anodised garden gate hinge protectors.

Another way of putting it: cheap and good will never, ever be the same thing when it comes to brakes and suspension.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 10, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nothing I've seen of stunt bikes leads me to believe they care about quality but it's true they have them, still expensive as gently caress over here at least.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

If your cold there cold bring them inside - biek edition.

Shame that got salvaged over such a small amount of damage. But they could also be lying through their teeth.

Even here, where they're overpriced badly, that is a catastrophic amount of (wallet) damage on planet orange.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I wonder how terrifying clipons on a ds/sumo would be...

It would be like an 80's sportbike without the power.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I am seriously contemplating building one of my basket case bikes in the basement. If for no other reason than it will be impossible to remove, but also because it's considerably more climate controlled than the garage.

Sounds like you need a guzzi.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm gonna go with it's a deathtrap because mv swingarms don't bolt in and geometry is hard. They adapted an rc30 swingarm :psyduck: literally destroying an irreplaceable part worth more than an SV so as to tart up an sv. Incredible.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 3, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just gonna hack the penis off of mikeo's david cause I need a cannon for my warhams, it'll look sick glued onto my orc tank!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why do they never just do the swingarm? If it were just that you'd be able to convert it back into a bike pretty easily. But nope, have to destroy every single other part of it so nobody EVER thinks it's worthwhile to undo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

The ninja frame partially rearranges itself spontaneously in the hands of a previous owner.

It's like the protein folding problem, only incredibly stupid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Im not sure if that ad is just poking fun or if its in earnets.

In serious posting, Im really tempted by this one:
https://www.nettimoto.com/suzuki/sv/2569521

Kevin Schwantz is rolling in his grave, but I like it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The angle of the photo strongly suggests that if you turn up there The Riddler will attack you.

This was far, far too funny.

E: Chunky Chickenstrips, batman!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have never, and I mean never, seen a complete cafe racer project for sale. They just don't exist, they ALWAYS need to 'be completed' because they're the bike version of putting all your points in crafting potions or some poo poo and realising halfway through the game that finishing the playthrough is impossible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I too want a bone-shatteringly hard ride on a mechano playset with 2 wheels and an engine.

Ironic that most cafe racer wannabes will never experience this, the actual reality of actual real cafe racers.

Although I do some work for a guy who sells special interest bikes and he ended up refunding a college kid his (mum's) money because there was no convincing him that it's normal for a 70's Triumph to shake like that. Same thing happened with a guy who wanted to buy his bambina until he actually test drove it and discovered what 'air cooled twin with unsynchronized gearbox' means in reality.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jealousy is threatening to consume me rn, they're so rare now even though they used to be everywhere, deeply regret not getting one when I had the chance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I sigh and draw my katana.

It's rear tyre time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's trying to troll me at the expense of the dozens of people quietly lurking and taking notes.

Suffice it to say: all of that stuff is bad and wrong and just dumb poo poo morons say, nobody here believes it. Get the best tyres and gear you can afford, get abs if you can afford it, never forget the best safety device and performance enhancer is the gooey poo poo between your ears so try to focus on upgrading the poo poo out of that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Uh no the new rider thread is the only one you should take notes on. The rest of em you just grip it and ride the bzzzzzt to savings.

That's fair.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a mate who's missus runs a LAMS gladius. It started life as a white bike with blue highlights, she found a blue bike with white highlights to pull parts off and now has an entirely blue bike.

Also taking off the side pods and throwing them in the bin, and taking off the headlight and throwing it in the bin, and replacing the horrific tail situation with a tail tidy makes them look like a totally normal, tidy 00's bike. When I see her from a distance I routinely mistake it for an mt03 or ER6.

I would not take a gladius over a second gen SV, but I would 100% take a gladius over a first gen SV - objectively superior in every way, equally ugly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also it's anecdotal but I feel the seat is considerably less torturous than any of the other SV's.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hey off topic, have you ever worked on any turbo bikes? We're about to get a Seca Turbo donated to us, and assuming it's not completely fried which it probably is completely fried actually, I'm wondering how fixable they may be if they've been neglected and sitting around. I'm assuming "not very" fixable but I'm fascinated by the idea of pressurized sealed carburetors and poo poo. Also have it in the back of my mind that it could be set up for vintage racing, but it would have to be sleeved down to under 600cc or something which would suck.

I've worked on a few, but sadly never one of the glorious factory turbo bikes. I have seen a guy take apart and work on a CX turbo and it didn't seem much dumber than a normal CX, all the turbo weirdness was neatly contained in it's own sort of modules but I've got no idea how yamaha did stuff. Pressurised carbs are super easy, there's no real difference between a turbo and a ram air intake as far as the carbs are concerned so if you've ever worked on a ZX9 or SRAD 600 you'll be fine. This reminds me of the time we put a mitsi L300 turbo on a daihatsu mira 3 cylinder, a mate just cut and welded the top of an old barbecue as a manifold. We pressurised the bowl and vent and it seemed to run quite well until it scored a bore.

Please post more when you get it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Wouldn’t a forced induction system gently caress with a CV carb? Wouldn’t the forced air push up the slide?

Why doesn't 1 bar push the slide up?

As long as every single atmospheric port is piped to the turbo the carb will function, you'd just need a supplementary fuel jet for when it really gets going, which is pretty common on two strokes. The slides work on a pressure differential, as long as the hats are piped into the manifold and not to atmosphere they will work perfectly.

There are several bikes with ram-air pressurized airboxes feeding cv carbs; all the vents are just piped to the high pressure side of the airbox.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 3, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A modern turbo + megasquirt would probably go a really long way to fixing the ills of those old turbos, but you can't get around the miserably low compression without spending some serious dosh and that will always hold it back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The bmw/megatron engines were road going m10 blocks that had done some mileage (on the assumption that casting flaws would've appeared by then) with the heads welded on but I don't know if they pissed on them, I've heard that story specifically for bmw.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pisscase is real bmw we demand the truth

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Why would I get that when 8k gets me the best small displacement sportbike with the best headlights
http://sodo-moto.com/listings/cbr250r/

Thanks for giving me a new site to check for import bikes on!

8k for a cbr250 is :catdrugs: to me, they will always be a $2500 learner bike in my heart.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Somehow that Goldwing looks a lot bigger with the fairings removed, maybe because you really see the full size of the engine?

Overcomplicating massively. The real answer is a simple equation that governs all of reality:

Less fairings > more fairings

That's it, that's all there is to it, now that you know you can try it out in the wild!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Style is cyclical, but the bad stuff usually gets left out of the renewal. Some aspects of 70s design are making/have made a comeback (fashion) but last I looked the big box stores aren't filling up with paisley wallpaper, rust orange shag rugs, and avocado colored appliances/plumbing fixtures to match that new velour Ricky Regal/Lacoste track jacket.

How do you make a big ugly bike with wide bars more aerodynamic? Throw a correspondingly big fuckoff fairing on the front of it. If the bike wasn't styled with the fairing in mind, that fairing will probably end up looking out of place. They looked weird 50 years ago, and they look weird now.

If you style the bike with the fairing in mind, it might look OK. You might end up with the next Hayabusa, and the reactions on that bike's looks have been mixed at best.

bass boats, bowling leagues, and big bikes

Avocado green kitchen stuff is definitely back in vogue but that might be a purely regional thing, nzers have notoriously crap taste.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

This seems like a good deal, but I'm guessing someone already picked it up.

Auction lots:
Sasquatch fur coat
London bridge
Drz that's never been down
Rocking horse manure

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You say "back" like it's not actually arriving there for the first time as the cutting edge of fashion down there.

Yeah that's fair.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PeterCat posted:

I'm selling a 95 Buick Roadmaster and had a guy offer me a 74 Yamaha RD350 in trade.

I'm thinking that value wise I'd come out ahead here.

You would be insane to not take this swap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ok, looking closer, that’s a Frankenstein bike.

It’s a 74 rd with an r5 motor. The r5 was pre-rd350 and not as advanced or desirable. It’s piston port rather than reed valve and there is a reason everyone has heard of the rd350 and no one has heard of the r5

Those wheels are also off a later Daytona or something but not a 74 rd.

That’s someone’s Frankenstein project. I’d say pass on it.

E: those are r5 side covers too. He’s trying to pass an R5 off as an RD350 because it has newer wheels and paint. Definitely avoid.

None of this stuff would make the bike worth less than 10k here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s cool as h*ck and I’d buy it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I floated the idea of buying a bike to keep at my friend's place in Calgary so I have something to ride when I visit instead of renting. He's all for it, as long as it's cool and he can ride it. Of course, I wouldn't want it sitting rotting! Anyway I was kinda serious, kinda not, but then I saw this...

Tempting but I doubt I can get my poo poo together quickly enough to take advantage... Still...

That can :catstare:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MetaJew posted:

I will probably just get some new tires and get the suspension more adjusted for myself. The PO put an Ohlins rear shock on it that probably could stand to be rebuilt and more adjusted for me. It has fork emulators as well but the suspension guy I used a few years ago at the track was trying to tell me that whoever installed it probably drilled out the fork rods "too much" and that I should replace them and redo the fork emulator install.

The springs on the front and rear, from what I can tell, are correct for my weight, which was a nice coincidence. And I've replaced the fork oil not too long ago.

I may just take the bike to him again and let him take care of rebuilding the shock and possibly inspecting or redoing the fork emulators.

I also put an m4 slip-on on it not too long ago that sounds much nicer than the factory can.

But anyway, primarily I was thinking looking at what more modern bikes are out there.

Have you considered a street fighter 848?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you're even considering an orange bike you have nothing to fear from a red one.

They are fairly sporty yeah, no avoiding that if you want to do more than mediocre circulating at the back of the group I'm afraid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MetaJew posted:

Totally fair. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for an 848 street fighter and in the meantime just stick with the sv.

There's a difference between tedious or expensive maintenance intervals and the shiny glitter in my oil, the starter clutch failing multiple times, and a bunch of other issues I had with the KTM. If the modern KTMs and Ducatis arent going to put me in a dangerous situation or leave me stranded like that bike, then maybe they're safe to consider vs the safe route if another Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, etc.

Ducatis have the kind of problems that drive you crazy with their trivial stupidness, they almost never have stranding type problems.

Ducati: a royal pain to maintain, but will work mostly perfectly if you do it religiously. Bike is designed properly, so if it breaks returning it to factory generally fixes the problem.

KTM: a royal pain to maintain, will reward your effort by making GBS threads itself anyway. Bike is designed poorly, so if it breaks you have to design and develop a fix to the inherent problem or it'll break again.

If your number one concern is reliability none of these are for you, stick with the SV or get an SV1000 or just accept the inevitable and buy a honda, any kind will do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Generally yeah, the problem usually hits at step #4, because most ducati dealers have no idea wtf they're doing and the one person there who does isn't paid to do services, that's the apprentice's job. IMO the best path is either an independent guy who knows and understands them properly, or just doing everything DIY. They are reliable bikes but the margin between 'good enough' and 'will be a disaster' is much finer than japanese stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The mt09, and especially the sp, is an absolute weapon and imo has a really sharp, aggressive character through the whole bike not least the engine. I remember riding one having already ridden a proper sorted mt07 and finding it preposterous because it somehow felt lighter and smaller and even more flighty and wiggly and even more connected despite being a bigger bike with a fatter tyre. Shame it's ugly.