Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jimong5 posted:

I’m playing around with cash secured puts and holy crap why wasn’t I doing this sooner?

What’s the difference between those and a put?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Baddog posted:

They're increasing the float 50%? Holy poo poo that is ballsy. Good luck current bagholders.

So what effect does this have ? I’m guessing supply increases, so should that lower the price? Or does it mean people who shorted the stock can now exercise the shorts?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

crazypeltast52 posted:

The market capitalization should increase by the cash they raise, net of fees, but the price of each share will be half as much of the new market capitalization.

So my 2 shares I bought for $9 and are now valued at $14 drop to $7?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tax question:

Say I invest $10 in AMC, price shoots up to $15 the next day so I sell and pocket the profits of $5.

In that case, I’d pay taxes on $5, capital gains, right?

Now say I take the $5 and immediately buy $5 worth of GameStop, and it tanks to $2 same day, so I sell for a loss of $3.

Overall, within a few days, I’m still up $2. So do I just pay capital gains on $2 come tax season?

I guess what I’m asking is does the IRS just care about the overall gain/loss on stocks bought and sold within a year?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

With the canal being blocked and cargo being delayed, what would be good things to invest in to take advantage of? I’d imagine puts on big box stores and calls on oil companies?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maybe a stupid question, but why is everyone buying houses all of a sudden?

In my head, if people are buying, that means they aren’t renting anymore or they sold their other house. This makes their prior rental or home they owned available for sale/rent.

Are rich people just buying up all the homes for investment properties and either flipping them or renting them out?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

havelock posted:

Dfv can't really believe the long term price of GME should be over 150 right?

Is this just an attempt to juice the price a bit more so he can get out clean without tanking the whole thing?

(In case you missed it he exercised his options and bought 50k more shares on top of that)

That’s what I think-he said it’s his final update so he’ll probably just cash out sometime soon. I mean, the $40 price during the hearings was a loving gift for him to double down and I just don’t see how the stock stays above $100 much longer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ola posted:

Time has corrected my initial mistake, it's now -40% and I guess it won't get better by more and more Americans waking up.

What was anyone expecting Elon to do last night to raise the price? I didn’t watch SNL, just seeing memes where he said “to the moon”.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Someone please give a tl;dr on NDRA. I see it posted all the time hoping for fda approval, but I’ve only been in this thread a few weeks.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Are there any fees switching my stocks from Robinhood to fidelity? I only have around $500 in Robinhood.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I feel like I’m the guy being called by Seth Davis in Boiler Room being told about that lovely penny stock fake company who supposedly developed a pill to cure cancer. Then the dude just throws all his savings into it and seths company tanks the stock.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What factors whether a stock offers options? Just market interest?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Apparently there’s a very small subreddit that doesn’t get a lot of traffic r/ndra.

https://reddit.com/r/NDRA

From a thread about a month ago:

quote:

Price target on this one is tough. Could be 5 bucks. Could be 20. The low float makes this thing super volatile in terms of how much it moves. Most recent example of a small float biotech getting approval is EYES, which went from $1.43 on a Thursday when it announced to $15.48 at it’s peak the next Tuesday. I have $25K invested in this stock and told my wife that I expect that to be worth $50K to $150K in the next few months.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ola posted:

Poor followers, this must be pure torture.

God drat. When can they prove he’s profiting from this poo poo and end it? I can’t get over how easily he manipulates this poo poo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

tangy yet delightful posted:

BTW here is the answer I got from Fidelity in regards to the $50 foreign settlement fee for OTLY:

At present I don't have enough free funds/funds I want to put into OTLY to justify paying $50 each way on the trade. I might look into my RH account (lol) or just not trade it :effort:

I bought a whopping 1 share of oatley using fidelity and never got that message.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cr0y posted:

Added a small amount of cheap NOK calls in the event the old gang is trying to get back together

Thanks for this!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Why do literally all the meme stocks share the same graphs pretty much? It’s kinda crazy.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Omne posted:

I sold my 33 shares of AMC for $9.81 back in March, at an overall loss. The big lesson I've learned is that short-term trading isn't for me.

Same. My friend held GameStop and amc. I sold GameStop at a huge loss and amc for a tiny gain. Granted I was only in for less than $500 and my friend was in for thousands. Now I asked him if he’s going to cash out AMC since his cost basis is $14 and he answered “yolo”.

I don’t have the stomach for this poo poo-happy to invest my 401k and Roth and be blind to this but holy poo poo the fomo is real. Only thing is I wouldn’t be up much on gamestop since I bought around $220. Amc I could have made a decent profit of but I’d never throw a ton of cash to it so…

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Can someone explain how this call option would work?

The break even price is less than the stock currently is, so how is that not instant profit?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m really glad I didn’t listen to my FOMO and buy amc at $60 today.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

D-Pad posted:

CRSR is the meme stock to watch this week. Expect a decent jump tomorrow.

Good, because I’m still holding a bag from last time it was a meme stock.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Why do SPY calls just print money?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Because stocks only go up?

Got it-thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

If I just buy and sell a spy call every day will that put me in danger of wash trading?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cr0y posted:

If you sell at a loss and buy the same expiry/strike, yes.

Nah ideally it would just be a quick profit

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Polish Pirate posted:

Please don't take any of this seriously because it's heavily just gambling with my gut, but usually I wait until SPY has a pretty large dip, wait until it flattens at the bottom, and then I buy calls for 3-5DTE. If you look at this year every SPY dip has basically recovered back to the standard growth curve after 3ish days max. (yes yes past performance doesn't predict future bla bla bla)

My calls are up 150% and don't expire until Friday. I should probably take the money, but gently caress it let it ride.

Do you buy them in or out of the money, how far out/in?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cirus posted:

Oh yeah it didn't break and hold hard rejection yesterday. Should have updated my post.

Lmao.

Hey guys buy this. Oh wait don’t.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Man Musk posted:

Loading up on out of the money SPY calls right before Jackson Hole really worked :waycool:

My put was a mistake

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Why is XERS going insane after hours?

Edit: lol nm

nwin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 14, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So how does the IRS know if I made a long term gain selling MSFT after holding it ten years and a short term gain on GME after holding it for two months?

Part of me hopes that whoever you do your transactions through would provide an annual statement breaking down short term and long term gains/losses.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dookberg posted:

What are the odds that BROS becomes a meme stock based on name alone?

You know the answer to this.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wtf is going on with GME and everyone transferring shares to something called ComputerShare?

The new theory I guess is all investment firms will disable the “buy” button or something but computer share won’t?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Arzakon posted:

By transferring shares to ComputerShare they believe they will have full custody of those shares so their current brokerages can't secretly lend shares out from under them which is keeping the thing where the stock price goes to infinite from happening.

Source: My brother-in-law who has most of his $250K net worth tied up in GME at about 225.

This really makes me want to sell OTM calls. I won’t because I’m totally risk adverse but it’s fun to consider.

I see this going on for a while and the price just staying kinda static. My friend is balls deep in GME and AMC and could have made sizeable profit so many times but is deep in conspiracy theory and doesn’t want to miss out, still reminding me of the opportunity he had to buy Bitcoin for nothing but passing on it.

I’m not sure when interest finally wanes and GME returns to normal.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

cirus posted:

At this point they should just have their stock printed on actual paper and demand the "shorts" physically borrow the shares.

I remember earlier on that was a thing they were doing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

Re: workforce pre/post covid

TL;DR labor force is ~3-4 million less than Jan 2020, which is like, 2016 level labor force

Does the labor force include people on unemployment?

Broad assumptions here, but if this is saying that employed people died due to covid, shouldn’t that drop unemployment numbers since those previously unemployed can enter the job market?

I see two sides from what I can tell:

1) people argue for minimum wage increase, which is why people claim there’s so many help wanted signs at restaurants, grocery stores, etc. People are living off unemployment checks because why bother working for the same/less amount minimum wage will provide.

2) not enough bodies to fill open vacancies. Potentially due to covid.

So maybe it’s a combination of the two but I don’t think it’s clearly one or the other.

Not looking to get into politics here whatsoever, just trying to understand what is actually happening and what long-term effects might be.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LibCrusher posted:

I think there were enough people who were able to build savings from stimmychex and enhanced UBI that they don’t *need* to work and they’re holding out because low end jobs all suck rear end.

Labor force participation rate I believe counts all working-age people in America, and it peaked at ~67% in the late 90’s. It’s now at 61.6%, which is the same as it was in the recession of the mid 70s.

That’s insane to me. Total stimulus checks was worth what-$10k if that? How much is UBI pumping out a month? I just don’t see how that’s livable, but I’ve got a family in a high cost of living area.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there any way to figure out the price DWAC should even be?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My question was stupid, sorry.

How do you put a valuation on a SPAC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Can after hours training effectively kill a stock?

Like say you keep DWAC and it closes at $50, then AH trading you see it going down substantially…will/could the market open to DWAC at $10? I’ve always heard after hours volume is significantly lower than normal hours and so the price changes don’t reflect actual market buuuuuut.

Said another way-say I’m Donald trump and I want to pump and dump this thing. Can I wait until market close and then just tell everyone to dump it so it’s dead in the morning?