Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

moflika posted:

Rain concerns

March to May is also typically summer weather in the region, so rain should be minimal even then.

You could probably get away with buying a cheapass folding umbrella once you're there, if you want to be 100% sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hillridge posted:

I'm headed to the Philippines in a few days with little to no itinerary.
We fly into Manila and will probably stay there a day or two to adjust, then we plan to head north to Luna, stopping in either Dagupan, Baguio, or both along the way.

I know the basics about the country (get the gently caress out of Manila ASAP, Jeepneys, etc.). I'm in a bit of a unique situation because I'll be traveling with my wife's family, and my FIL was born and raised in the Philippines, then moved to America in his teens and has lived there since. We'll be staying with various family members along the way, and they have a small beach hut they recently built in Luna where we plan to spend most of our time.

Is anyone familiar with that area? I figure the wife and I may pop down to San Fernando city for a night or two at a "resort" if we get bored in Luna, but other than that I have no idea what to do in the area. Neither one of us are big bar/nightclub type people (not like Luna would have any anyway).

Are there any must sees while we are there? I have no problem spending a week doing nothing next to the ocean, but I feel like I should make the most of flying to the other side of the world.

Are you by any chance referring to Luna in the northern La Union region? If so, my clan's ancestral home is in Bangar, which is the next town over from Luna.

I suggest taking a daytrip from Luna to Vigan, Ilocos Sur, about a 100-kilometer drive. The Calle Crisologo area there is a total throwback to the Spanish colonial days, which has made UNESCO declare the city a World Heritage Site. You can also spend a couple of hours wandering about and relaxing in the Hidden Garden.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

B-Rad posted:

Anyone been to the Philippines?

I'm going to be there from the 1st to the 6th, flying out of Clark Airport. Is Clark really far away from Metro Manila?

I would rather spend the least amount of time possible in Manila, and get to a decent beach as soon as possible.

I would rather not travel to Boracay as the flight prices are steep and its over-run with tourists.

Am I better off flying to a beach area, or are there decent places within 5 hours of Manila?

Can anyone recommend some carriers that provide cheap flights to a good beach destination? I'm just looking for some good snorkeling and relaxation on the beach, not really looking to see any museums or anything like that in the short time I have.

Has anyone been to Palawan?

My personal recommendation would be either of two places, at near-opposite sides of Luzon:

1) Caramoan Peninsula, in the southern Bicol region - the venue of multiple Survivor tapings (I believe Survivor Norway and Sweden are taping there now). The main Caramoan landmass serves as the starting point for jumping around the various white sand beach islands surrounding the area, and I can definitely say that spending the day island-hopping with a full case of beer and munchies aplenty is my idea of a beach bum's paradise. You can travel there by taking a 40-minute plane to Naga City, then a 1-hour shuttle van to Sabang port, and a 1.5-hour boat ride to Caramoan.

2) Pagudpud in the northern Ilocos region - the beach is a nice as Boracay, but the place is a hell of a lot more laid back. You can definitely get your beach bum on there. Getting there is either 10-12 hours overland from Manila, or you can take a 45-minute flight to Laoag, then a 2-hour bus trip to Pagudpud from there.

I suggest checking for flights on Cebu Pacific to/from Laoag, or Air Philippines going to/from Naga.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

TheLizard posted:

I'm going to the Philippines for two weeks in November. The plan is to fly to Coron, spend a few days island hopping and then fly to Puerto Princesa to see the underground river. I don't have much time, but it sounds like Palawan is an awesome place to go and that it will be significantly less awesome in 5 years as the tourists discover it more. Does this sound like a good plan? Any specific hints/places to see in these two towns?

Try to check out Kayangan Lake while in Coron, and Baker's Hill in Puerto Princesa.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

TheLizard posted:

Kayangan Lake is a definite; what is Baker's Hill?

It's a quaint little bakery/theme park in Puerto Princesa that also happens to carry a nice selection of local baked goodies. You can probably kill an hour or so wandering around (longer if you've got kids with you) before filling up at the bakery, if you want a bit of a change from the regular beach itinerary.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

eviljelly posted:

I read up on the Manila-love post, but what's the deal with Cebu? I'm flying over to Bangkok from Korea, and it looks like it'll be about the same price for me to have a stopover in Cebu as it would be to fly straight over to Bangkok. I've got time to burn, so that's not really much of an issue, but is Cebu actually worth going to for 3-5 days?

Cebu's quite a bit nicer than Manila, IMO, and you can easily eat up the 3-5 days by spending them in both the Cebu and Bohol islands (the ferry from Cebu City to Tagbilaran, Bohol costs between $4 to $10 one way).

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

So I should be hearing in the next week or so whether or not I have attained employment in the Philippines, I'll be living in Manila specifically working for as a network support technician for the American government :patriot:

I think it would be cool to meet up with some other goons in the Philippines since I'm going to be the junior at my work by about 30 years it sounds like, I'm 23 right now and would like to experience all the Philippines has to offer for the 5 years I'll be there.

So if you guys wanna grab some San Miguel's I would love to hear some stories.

If you do wind up over here, let me know. It would be cool to actually meet some fellow goons.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

So looks like I landed a job in Manila and I've got a few questions that I'm hoping one of you world wandering goons could answer.

How is 75000PHP a month if I don't have to pay rent? I'm assuming things are cheaper than in Europe but my googling hasn't turned up anything significant. Stuff like food, cigarettes, beer, electronics, etc.

How is Steam in the Philipines? I remember reading about it being hamstrung in parts of SEA a few years ago, is that still the case?

Regarding your money question:

1) Is that 75k per month gross or net? Check with your employer what tax rate will be applied to that salary first.

2) If you know how to cook, food is not going to be too much of an issue, since cost of living (read: groceries) is going to be quite a bit lower over here. Planning on lots of eating out and takeout? Most casual dining places will set you back about 300-400PHP per meal, although cheaper local places are always around. Make friends with any local coworkers when you get here and ask them where the good, cheaper eats are.

3) Local cigarettes cost anywhere from 25-50PHP for a 20-stick pack, depending on the brand and whether you buy soft or fliptop packs. If you're a smoker, you'd be better off buying a whole carton of 10 packs, which shouldn't cost more than 300PHP.

4) Electronics is where you're going to get shafted over here. Most stuff here gets released 4 months or so behind any US release dates, plus importation taxes and whatnot will make sure that gadget will actually cost more than it does in the US. I bought the laptop I'm currently using last March 2010, when I was working in the US, for $975 (around 43000PHP). When I returned home November last year, the same laptop had just been released here and was selling for about 60000PHP. That Galaxy Nexus phone coming out around the end of the year over there? I'll be happy if it comes out earlier than May 2012 over here.

No idea regarding Steam though. *shrugs*

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm a local Pinoy, and I wish I could contest any of this. Sigh.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Haraksha posted:

Well then I'm just going to stick with the airport service. I'm willing to pay a premium not to get screwed.

Also, if I want to avoid flying again, is a fairy to Cebu a realistic thing? What kind of time investment is that? How would I go about setting that up?

Here you go.

It's more or less a 22-hour ferry ride one way, so you might want to consider spending extra for the flight and using up the time savings actually doing stuff in Cebu.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bloodnose posted:

Sure. I assume SIM cards are easy to get at the airport or convenience stores? When Viettel in Hanoi gave me a week of unlimited 3G for like $15 USD, that was the most awesome thing ever.

And since I get in after midnight tonight, I'll make the call tomorrow.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get a prepaid sim here. Go for a Smart sim, get a couple of 500PHP (~$12.27) reload cards, key them into your smartphone, and you'll be pretty much set.

You can get 1GB of data for 499PHP, good for 30 days, by texting 'ON 499' to 2200. Another 250PHP gets you 100 call minutes to all networks, including back to HK if you wish (text CALL250 to 5908).

I might be free tomorrow as well. I'll PM you my mobile number.

E: goonmeet in Manila woop woop

anakha fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 8, 2013

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So, after perusing promo fares for a few weeks, we've decided that the next family vacation is going to be this May, in and around the Hanoi area for 3-4 days. Just a couple questions for goons who have been around that area as we plan our itinerary:

1) My dad's a pretty husky guy and also has a bum knee, so we'd like to avoid doing anything that will involve a lot of walking if possible. Any suggestions for sights or activities that will have a lot of sitting down (like in a cruise or boat tour or something) or at least allow frequent breaks for him to take some weight off his knee?

2) We might need to do some navigating to get around, so I plan on taking my GSM smartphone there. Any recommendations for a decent prepaid carrier with good coverage that will allow me to load enough credits for a few days' worth of 3G browsing? Where would I be able to pick up a SIM card from such a carrier?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Many thanks Senso and duralict. That was a big help.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tytan posted:

Ah that's a shame. I'll still be in town until the 5th though, so might still be able to grab a quick beer one night if you're about?

Do any Hanoi goons post here? I'm going to be over there for a few days next month if anyone else is around.

Wondering this as well. I'll be in Hanoi for a few days in May.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hopefully this power thing isn't going to mess with my Hanoi trip this weekend.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So it turns out visiting Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum on a free day is not such a hot idea when everybody gets the same idea. Place was cool, though.

And I could get used to the idea of Pho for breakfast, everyday. :munch:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bun cha is the poo poo.

Now I'm off to sleep off this food coma.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

At Noi Bai airport, waiting for my flight back to Manila.

Halong Bay was nice, but pretty similar to Coron in Palawan island.

Had fun exploring the Old Quarter and had a very interesting look at the North perspective on the Vietnam War in their History Museum.

And I will never complain about motorcycle riders in the Philippines again.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I remember seeing that on TV and thinking to myself, 'he's still got quite a few operations to go before he comes close'.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

^^ I laughed way harder at that than I really should have.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

blk posted:

I think I've posted in here once before, vaguely, but things are starting to resolve.

I'm looking at SE Asia for my honeymoon, arriving Nov 3ish and leaving Nov 28ish.

Our current loose itinerary is Seattle -> Hanoi -> Halong Bay -> Hanoi -> Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Bangkok -> Seattle

What I'm wondering is:

• Are Sapa and/or Ninh Binh easy to get to and worth the detour from Hanoi? Is there much there besides the postcard view?
  • How much are we missing by not going to Thai beaches? Part of me feels like I can go to a beach anytime and should do more SE Asian-unique things while I'm there.
  • Do we have time to bus into Cambodia from Bangkok to see Angkor Wat?
  • What should we do in Chiang Mai besides eat, play with elephants, and get massages? Anything else to see in that area?
  • Anything close to this route that you'd recommend we add to the itinerary?

I was just in Hanoi and Halong Bay last month. Frankly, if you had to decide between Angkor Wat and Halong Bay as tourist destinations, go with the former. Halong Bay was kinda depressingly dirty.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MrNemo posted:

On a somewhat random note, my plan to go diving in Thailand got altered as my dad is currently in Vietnam and now so am I. I'm in Hanoi tool Sunday and then heading to Sapa for a couple of days in case any goons are up here and want to get drinks or something?

Failing that where is fun to eat/drink in Hanoi? It's been a full decade since I was last here (gently caress I feel I'm getting old)

Gorge on some Bun Cha on Hang Manh Street. I miss that dish.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Hell, there's even Popeye's Chicken, heh.

Note: Do not eat there, it is poo poo.

Several friends who had tasted Popeye's in the US and I went to the opening of the first Popeye's franchise here in Manila several years ago. We immediately ordered a dozen biscuits since these were the things we missed the most.

They tasted worse than Bisquick crap.

That restaurant closed less than 8 months later.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Well, it has a little bit of competition here in Manila for salsa: a Chipotle ripoff chain. :downs:

I swear, the Philippines has the most US chain ripoffs that actually come reasonably close to the original. Which just screws them over worse when the originals finally arrive.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've tried the In N' Out. Definitely not as good as the original, but not necessarily bad per se. I think it really comes down to the quality of beef being different here.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quoting from another thread:

kenner116 posted:

I'll be in Manila from Sunday through Tuesday if any goons want to drink cheap beers and discuss why this is ReindeerF's favorite city. The Philippines will also be hosting a super typhoon tomorrow. Sadly they do not have the equivalent of Li's Field.

Any other Manila goons willing to brave the elements on Sunday?

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 7, 2013

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

It's a shame because if there's any time you want to drive to Manila coming from the north, it's on a Sunday. Oh well, enjoy and warn them about getting on buses!

EDIT: Huh, is alcohol still comparatively cheap here in the Phils? Ever since the sin tax got passed, I've been using it as an excuse to drink Corona instead of Pale Pilsen all the time.

Depriving the masses of beer and cigarettes by pricing these out of their meager budgets is a surefire way to start riots over here.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

It's windy.

That's it. It rained for a few hours but that's it. Right now, it's just windy and has been so for a few hours.

Yeah, pretty much. It might have been worse down south where the typhoon actually passed, but in Manila it was relatively quiet.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

^^

As per the path shown here, the hardest hit areas were mainly in the central Visayas region.

There are no final damages being reported as of yet, but I'm seeing estimates of up to $3.2M in agricultural/crop damages alone.

E: Another city getting a lot of attention for the damage it took was Ormoc City, also in Leyte.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 10, 2013

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Anyone else down for the meetup?

Was planning to go, but I'm completely wiped out from playing babysitter for a day to a couple of toddlers.

I'd forgotten how tiring taking care of babies could be. :v:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Lose (or scramble) the egg and that's some good poo poo! For whatever reason I really enjoyed longanisa breakfasts.

Despite my love for other ASEAN cuisine, longganisa is what keeps my palate mainly Filipino.

No other country in the region does sausage anywhere near as well.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Finally, just don't play The Eagles, man. Or My Way. Heh.

The latter extends to most of Southeast Asia, I think.

At least in the Philippines, its been known to get people shot.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ooh, foodchat!

Filipino food has its fair share of detractors (and rightfully so), but there are a few highlights. Too bad they're all what we'd call 'cardiac's delights' here:

- As mentioned before, the longganiza/sausages here are far better than what you'd get in most of the rest of Southeast Asia.

- Bourdain has raved about both sisig ('If you’ve never had this divine mosaic of pig parts, chopped and served sizzling and crisp on one side on a screaming hot platter, then you’ve yet to have one of the world’s best beer drinking dishes.”) and lechon ('Of all the whole roasted pigs I’ve had all over the world, the slow roasted lechon I had on Cebu was the best.')

- Other signature dishes here are pork-based as well: deep-fried pork belly (lechon kawali) and deep-fried pork hocks (crispy pata)

And here's a thread by fellow goon Gravity84 on Filipino food that got included in the GWS wiki. My favorite quote from that thread:

quote:

I love filipino food...but it can be the Paula Deen of Asian cuisine.
But drat it, Crispy Pata would definitely be making it on my death row meal.

VV Yeah, the beef dishes did slip my mind. Want to add Bulalo to the list as well. Thanks for reminding me.

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 1, 2014

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The duckmaster saga continues.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

I don't care who you are. I am a fun loving guy and I try hard to make any place fun, but Manila will stymie you whoever you are. When drinking Red Horse around tables full of red chairs with bad fried food is a highlight your city sucks.

HOW DARE Y- oh yeah, you're right. :eng99:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SE Asia Megathread: Our Capitals Suck rear end

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

And the MBK mall is so insane. I've been trying to describe it to friends back home but how do you explain three hundred cell phone stalls all crammed together all selling the same things. It just doesn't make sense. How do they stay in business. I'm guessing rental space is crazy cheap.

If it's anything like Manila, a lot of those stalls are owned by the same people and the prices vary only to make people think they're getting good deals when they're still overpaying.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Someone tell me some stuff about Hanoi. I'll be overnighting there with me missus.

Eat all the bun cha.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

nelson posted:

Headed to Vietnam tomorrow. 4 nights in HCMC, 4 in Hoi An, 3 in Hue, 5 in Hanoi. Any advice/comments for a first timer?

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I will be heading to hanoi/halong tomorrow.

Vietnam supremacy!!

Eat bun cha in Hanoi. Eat all the bun cha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

DontAskKant posted:

If I had the money for US prices and was in in the US I would, but I'm in Korea and the Philippines are the cheapest warm beach place.

Good notes on other things to see. How do people get around, lots of small flights? Like it's cheaper to fly to Manila, but nobody wants to be there and everything cool is closer to Cebu. How do people even get to Palawan?

Speaking as a Filipino who lives in Manila, you really don't want to use Manila as anything other than a hub to get to the other places in the Philippines.

Check out Cebu Pacific and Air Asia for cheap flights from Manila to Palawan/Cebu.