Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

sooner or later if any of us even speak out against the goverment our fuhrer obama will have us sent to concentration camps so you better watch out cause in addition to this police forces across the country have recently received upgrades to their weapons more similar to what u.s troops are using overseas.
Was this in response to an article about :
A. SOPA
B. Mitt Romney's taxes
C. Insider trading
D. Italian cruise ship wreck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I imagine that calling someone a pedant is a compliment among wikispergs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm still waiting for a really good picross app for my iPad, all the ones I've tried are crap

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 6, 2012

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Amethyst posted:

lol
This is so obviously untrue if you've been to japan. I like how all of the sources are lovely business week articles about wAcKy japan.

look you may actually have been to the country but I assure you the person that wrote that reads way more blogs about Glorious Nihon than you do I mean can you cite your sources?

I really love how "no original research" has become "real life experience unnecessary"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

hahah oopsie

literally a billion dollar franchise

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

John Cho and Stifler are the only people from that movie who seemed to have been able to pull an acting career off

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just remembered there was a no original research infinite loop when "All Day" by Girl Talk came out because people successfully argued that there was no way to verify if the sample list was accurate without that verification effort counting as "original research" and therefore disqualifying it from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:All_Day_%28Girl_Talk_album%29 :psylon:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nevergirls posted:

so why didn't someone just post the sample list on a blog post or something and then it's "outside research"
because there was no way to verify that the blog post was not made specifically to be a source for wikipedia and no way to verify the data in the blog post

basically they came within a hair's breadth of an "Emperor's New Clothes" moment but managed to use twisted logic to weasel out of claiming that the act verifying any source would violate "no original research" for the whole of the site

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It is a vision I have seen: upon a vast plain, men and women are gathered in dense throngs, crouched in uncomfortable and distressing positions, their fingers hooked in the straps of their boots. They are engaged in lifting themselves; tugging and straining until they grow red in the face, exhausted. The perspiration streams from their foreheads, they show every symptom of distress; the eyes of all are fixed, not upon each other, nor upon their bootstraps, but upon the sky above. There is a look of rapture upon their faces, and now and then, amid grunts and groans, they cry out with excitement and triumph.

I approach one and say to him, "Friend, what is this you are doing?"

He answers, without pausing to glance at me, "I am performing spiritual exercises. See how I rise?"

"But," I say, "you are not rising at all!"

Whereat he becomes instantly angry. "You are one of the scoffers!"

"But friend," I protest, "don't you feel the earth under your feet?"

"You are a materialist!"

"But, friend, I can see -"

"You are without spiritual vision!"

And so I move on among the sweating and groaning hordes. Being of a sympathetic turn of mind, I cannot help being distressed by the prevalence of this singular practice among so large a portion of the human race. How, is it possible that none of them should suspect the futility of their procedure? Or can it really be that I am uncomprehending? That in some way they are actually getting off the ground, or about to get off the ground?

Then I observe a new phenomenon: a man gliding here and there among the bootstrap-lifters, approaching from the rear and slipping his hands into their pockets. The position of the spiritual exercisers greatly facilitates his work; their eyes being cast up to heaven, they do not see him, their thoughts being occupied, they do not heed him; he goes through their pockets at leisure, and transfers the contents to a bag he carries, and then moves on to the next victim. I watch him for a while, and finally approach and ask, "What are you doing, sir?"

He answers, "I am picking pockets."

"Oh," I say, puzzled by his matter-of-course tone. "But - I beg pardon - are you a thief?"

"Oh, no," he answers, smilingly, "I am the agent of the Wholesale Pickpockets' Association. This is Prosperity."

"I see," I reply. "And these people let you -"

"It is the law," he says. "It is also the gospel."

I turn, following his glance, and observe another person approaching - a stately figure, clad in scarlet and purple robes, moving with slow dignity. He gazes about at the sweating and grunting hordes; now and then he stops and lifts his hand in a gesture of benediction, and proclaims in rolling tones, "Blessed are the Bootstrap-lifters, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven." He moves on, and after a bit stops and announces again, "Man doth not live. by bread alone, but by every word that cometh out of the mouth of the prophets and priests of Bootstrap- lifting.

Watching a while longer, I see this majestic one approach the agent of the Wholesale Pickpocket's, Association. The agent greets him as a friend, and proceeds to transfer to the pockets of his capacious robes a generous share of the loot which he has collected. The majestic one does not cringe, nor does he make any effort to hide what is going on. On the contrary he cries aloud, "It is more blessed to give than to receive!" And again he cries, "The laborer is worthy of his hire!" And a third time he cries, yet more sternly, "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's!" And the Bootstrap-lifters pause long enough to answer: "Lord have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law!" Then they renew their straining and tugging.

I step up, and in timid tones begin, "Reverend sir, will you tell me by what right you take this wealth?"

Instantly a frown comes upon his face, and he cries in a voice of thunder, "Blasphemer!" And all the Bootstrap-lifters desist from their lifting, and menace me with furious looks. There is a general call for a policeman of the Wholesale Pickpockets' Association; and so I fall silent, and slink away in the throng, and thereafter keep my thoughts to myself.

Over the vast plain I wander, observing a thousand strange and incredible and terrifying manifestations of the Bootstrap- lifting impulse. There is, I discover, a regular propaganda on foot; a long time ago - no man can recall how far back - the Wholesale Pickpockets made the discovery of the ease with which a man's pockets could be rifled while he was preoccupied with spiritual exercises, and they began offering prizes for the best essays in support of the practice. Now their propaganda is everywhere triumphant, - and year by year we see an increase in the rewards and emoluments of the prophets and priests of the cult. The ground is covered with stately temples of various designs, all of which I am told are consecrated to Bootstrap- lifting, I come to where a group of people are occupied in laying the corner-stone of a new white marble structure; I inquire and am informed it is the First Church of Bootstrap-lifters, Scientist. As I stand watching, a card is handed to me, informing me that a lady will do my Bootstrap-lifting at five dollars per lift.

I go on to another building, which I am told is a library containing volumes in defense of the Bootstrap-lifters, published under the auspices of the Wholesale Pickpockets. I enter, and find endless vistas of shelves, also several thousand current magazines and papers. I consult these - for my legs have given out in the effort to visit and inspect all phases of the Bootstrap-lifting practice. I discover that hardly a week passes that some one does not start a new cult, or revive an old one; if I had a hundred life-times I could not know all the creeds and ceremonies, the services and rituals, the litanies and liturgies, the hymns, anthems and offertories of Bootstrap-lifting. There are the Holy Roman Bootstrap-lifters, whose priests are fed by Transubstantiation; the established Anglican Bootstrap-lifters, whose priests live by "livings"; the Baptist Bootstrap-lifters, whose preachers practice total immersion in Standard Oil. There are Yogi Bootstrap-lifters with flowing robes of yellow silk; Theosophist Bootstrap-lifters with green and purple auras; Mormon Bootstrap-lifters, Mazdaznan Bootstrap-lifters, Spiritualist and Spirit-Fruit, Millerite and Dowieite, Holy Roller and Holy Jumper, Comd-to-glory Negro, Billy Sunday base-ball and Salvation Army bassdrum Bootstrap-lifters. There are the thousand varieties of "New Thought" Bootstrap-lifters; the mystic and transcendentalist, Swedenborgian and Jacob Boehme Bootstrap- lifters; the Elbert Hubbard high-art Bootstrap-lifters with half a million magazinelets at two bits apiece; the "uplift" and "optimist," the Ralph Waldo Trine and Orison Swett Marden Bootstrap-litters with a hundred thousand volumes at one dollar per volume. There are the Platonist and Hegelian and Kantian professors of collegiate metaphysical Bootstrap-lifting at several thousand dollars per year each. There are the Nietz- schean Bootstrap-lifters, who lift themselves to the Superman, and the art-for-art's-sake, neo-Pagan Bootstrap-lifters, who lift themselves down to the Ape.

Excepting possibly the last-mentioned group, the priests of all these cults, the singers, shouters, prayers and exhorters of Bootstrap-lifting have as their distinguishing characteristic that they do very little lifting at their own bootstraps, and less at any other man's. Now and then you may see one bend and give a delicate tug, of a purely symbolical character: as when the Supreme Pontiff of the Roman Bootstrap-lifters comes once a year to wash the feet of the poor; or when the Sunday-school Superintendent of the Baptist Bootstrap-lifters shakes the hand of one of his Colorado mine-slaves. But for the most part the priests and preachers of Bootstrap-lifting walk haughtily erect, many of them being so swollen with prosperity that they could not reach their bootstraps if they wanted to. Their role in life is to exhort other men to more vigorous efforts at self-elevation, that the agents of the Wholesale Pickpockets' Association may ply their immemorial role with less chance of interference.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when I was really little we'd hear stories about red M&Ms and how they had to take them out because they gave kids cancer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

i barely GNU her! posted:

perry_farrell_sucks_to_work_with.png

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

reallyprettymad posted:

teh future is going to be awful and most of us are going to die. cheers! :cheers:

spoiler we're all going to die all we're doing now is determining order and location

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Watch_pocket_Samsung_M910_phone_jeh.jpg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Popular culture has also portrayed potential uses of multi-touch technology in the future, including several installments of the Star Trek franchise.

The television series CSI: Miami introduced both surface and wall multi-touch displays in its sixth season. Another television series, NCIS: Los Angeles, make use of multi-touch surfaces and wall panels as an initiative to go digital. Another form of a multi-touch computer was seen in the film The Island, where the professor, played by Sean Bean, has a multi-touch desktop to organize files, based on an early version of Microsoft Surface[2]. Multitouch technology can also be seen in the James Bond film Quantum of Solace, where MI6 uses a touch interface to browse information about the criminal Dominic Greene.[22] In an episode of the television series The Simpsons, when Lisa Simpson travels to the underwater headquarters of apple to visit Steve Jobs, who is shown to be performing multiple multi-touch hand gestures on a large touch wall.

A device similar to the Surface was seen in the 1982 Disney sci-fi film Tron. It took up an executive's entire desk and was used to communicate with the Master Control computer.

The interface used to control the alien ship in the 2009 film District 9 features such similar technology.[23]

Microsoft's Surface was also used in the 2008 film The Day the Earth Stood Still.[citation needed]

In the 2002 film Minority Report, Tom Cruise uses a set of gloves that resemble a multi-touch interface to browse through information.[24]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Understanding and Management of Special Child in Pediatric Dentistry

did a robot write that title

actually, yes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all "HENRY" means is "bad with money"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I buy a Rolex people will want to give me more money later because they think I'm really good at what I do

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if I don't spend eighty thousand dollars lining my bathroom with marble I'll be forced to think about where my life is going every time I take a dump instead of thinking "cool, I have marble floors"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I don't send my kids to an expensive private school they won't be successful enough to care for my broke rear end when I'm old

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

boy that golf club membership is really expensive but it's a great networking opportunity

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got dat wmd posted:

Train yourself to always do opportunity cost analysis and you will never make a poor decision again

only if you lack the self-awareness to realize that your assumptions about opportunity cost are not always accurate

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my entire goal in life is to do well enough to bounce to a good country

I don't want to be old in whatever the US healthcare system is going to become in 30 years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_(music)

quote:

In hip hop and electronica, a short break is also known as a "cut", and the reintroduction of the full bass line and drums is known as a "drop", which is sometimes accented by cutting off everything, even the percussion.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there isn't a [citation needed] big enough

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

roboshit posted:

i dunno the 1990s and acid house and t shirts are all pretty cool

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sriracha and marie sharp's suit my hot sauce needs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you get lots of exercise there's not really much of a problem with salt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the solution to most dietary problems is "don't eat packaged food"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bet 28 bytes of that image is:
"Indolences rules, PaD drools"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Daniel Terdiman is also my name

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the secret service did not employ an african american until 1956.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haljordan posted:

thats why i prefer my army of loyal prostitutes
yeah, dolomite is a great movie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

"hey look at these funny leaves. mm what should i do with them? guess i could eat em or something. no, i know! i'll roll them up in a little paper tube, stick that in my mouth and light it on fire. yeaaaaaaaaah"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7YBaiJMnik

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my favorite technique they use to pad out "reality shows" is to show a very simple thing happening, like the contestants meet in a room and there's a box with a sheet over it then we cut to interviews:
"and they brought us into the studio and there was a box"
"this box could be anything"
*another shot of the contestants standing there doing nothing*
"I'm starting to get pretty nervous"
"what's under the sheet?"
*a shot of the feet of the host and a MYSTERY GUEST*
"so we're just standing there waiting for the host when"
*cut to amazed freakout shot and music swell*
*bumper: after the break, amazed face shot again, some running around*
COMMERCIALS
*15 second quick cut of exactly what happened before the break*
*disappointing D-grade celebrity reveal*
*a full minute of interviews and reaction shots*

That's like 8 minutes of television out of maybe 30 seconds of action. It's like the gift shop sketch but with jump cuts to studio interviews

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Probably my favorite

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A meet-cute is a situation in which a future romantic couple meets for the first time in a way that is considered adorable, entertaining, or amusing.[1]

This type of situation is a staple of romantic comedies, commonly involving contrived, unusual, or comic circumstances. The technique creates an artificial situation contrived by the filmmakers in order to bring together characters in an entertaining manner. Frequently the meet-cute leads to a humorous clash of personalities or beliefs, embarrassing situations, or comical misunderstandings that further drive the plot.
Use of "meet cute" situations

[The character] is conveniently importuned by this attractive young fellow she happens to run into—to "meet cute," as they say—on a Fifth Avenue bus.
Bosley Crowther, in his February 1964 review of Sunday in New York[2]

The term is widely used by screenwriters. Billy Wilder uses it in his Paris Review interview in relation to his 1938 film Bluebeard's Eighth Wife, for instance. Film critics such as Roger Ebert[3] or the Associated Press' Christy Lemire popularized the term in their reviews. In Ebert's commentary for the DVD of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, which he co-wrote, he describes the scene where law student Emerson Thorne bumps into the female character Petronella Danforth. Ebert admits that he, as the screenwriter, wrote into the script a "classic Hollywood meet cute." He explains the meet cute as a scene "in which somebody runs into somebody else, and then something falls, and the two people began to talk, and their eyes meet and they realize that they are attracted to one another."

In the 2006 romantic American comedy The Holiday, one of the characters, Arthur, an elderly script writer played by Eli Wallach, explains a meet-cute with an example: "It's how two characters meet in a movie. Say a man and a woman both need something to sleep in, and they both go to the same mens pajama department. And the man says to the salesman: 'I just need bottoms'. The woman says: 'I just need a top'. They look at each other, and that's the meet-cute". Arthur is in fact describing the meet-cute between Gary Cooper and Claudette Colbert in Bluebeard's Eighth Wife.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cantorsdust posted:

this is the wikipedia thread, not tvtropes

and if this is actually on wikipedia, smdh

can there really be the most worthless thing on tvtropes?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if there's a gross health problem there's a goon who's got it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GNU Order posted:

Teledildonics is the greatest word ever

ascot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

where the gently caress tit "dhampir" come from, is this some kind of corn/maize thing